• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mielo's 35lt Nano - Seahorse

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Mielo's 35lt Nano - Seahorse

Postby Mielo » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi all

Setup a little 35 liter Nano tank for my daughter.

System Objectives: Daughter to decide

Strike up Date: 30/08/2019

Display Tank: Aqua one Nano Reef 35...350 x 350 x 350

Display Lighting: Mariglow LED light unit

Stand: N/A

Hood: Glass lid

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Flow of the return pumps

Return Pump: 200L/hr pump

Skimmer: NanoSkim 40 Hang on Skimmer

Heaters: 1 x 55W heater

Evaporation Top Up: Manual

RO filtration: 4 stage reverse osmosis wall mount unit with an De-ionization post filter

Live Rock: approx 5kgs

Got some Live rock and live sand to seed the tank from my cousin's tank which has been running for over 8 years now. Saw at least two Brittle worms while aquascaping and there are heaps of copepods in the tank at the moment.

My daughter is very excited about getting a pair of seahorses for the tank. Now I have no experience where seahorses are concerned, so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Question: Should I even consider housing seahorses in such a small tank??
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Re: Mielo's 35lt Nano - Seahorse

Postby Basenji » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:57 am

I suggest doing as much reading as you can.
It is many years since I kept a seahorse tank, and I'm not sure of the best references these days, but www.seahorse.org may be a good starting point.

35L seems a little on the small side to me, but it can probably be done.
Temperature control is likely to be your biggest issue. Even the tropical species like temperatures at the lower end.
Feeding and subsequent tank polution are also issues to be managed. Seahorses are slow eaters - they like to stalk. If you can train them to eat from a contained source it can help with removal of uneaten food. The biggest bristle worm population I've ever seen was in my seahorse tank where they bloomed due to uneaten seahorse food.

Not intending to put you off - just wanting to encourage you to go into it with your eyes open to avoid disappointment.

Regards,
Colin
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 12:23 pm

Basenji wrote:I suggest doing as much reading as you can.
It is many years since I kept a seahorse tank, and I'm not sure of the best references these days, but http://www.seahorse.org may be a good starting point.

35L seems a little on the small side to me, but it can probably be done.
Temperature control is likely to be your biggest issue. Even the tropical species like temperatures at the lower end.
Feeding and subsequent tank polution are also issues to be managed. Seahorses are slow eaters - they like to stalk. If you can train them to eat from a contained source it can help with removal of uneaten food. The biggest bristle worm population I've ever seen was in my seahorse tank where they bloomed due to uneaten seahorse food.

Not intending to put you off - just wanting to encourage you to go into it with your eyes open to avoid disappointment.

Regards,
Colin

This is exactly the kind of advise I am searching for Colin. Thank you!

I have been doing a bit of research and the issues that really stands out for me are: ensure the seahorses are captive bred, maintain pristine water quality, minimum flow in the tank, do not overfeed and must have passive/docile tank mates. The two species that are readily available here are the Kuda & Southern Knight, both of which grows to over 20cm in the wild that is and can potentially live for up to 9 years. If that is the case, I will happily upgrade the tank.

I am yet to find a supplier here in Australia that supplies dwarf seahorses.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 3:20 pm

Southern Knight seahorses are temperate, so really should be kept down below 20°C.
Kuda are a more tropical, so can cope with a little warmer, but probably still don't want to be much above 24°C.

Another species you may be able to find are Hippocampus barbouri - zebra snout seahorses, which are also likely to top out at 24°C.

There is a bit of information in the RTAW Reefpedia - although not comprehensive.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 4:38 pm

Basenji wrote:Southern Knight seahorses are temperate, so really should be kept down below 20°C.
Kuda are a more tropical, so can cope with a little warmer, but probably still don't want to be much above 24°C.

Another species you may be able to find are Hippocampus barbouri - zebra snout seahorses, which are also likely to top out at 24°C.

There is a bit of information in the RTAW Reefpedia - although not comprehensive.

Thank you once again Colin!

I have read about the Zebra Stripe Seahorse, but its not appears its not readily available in New South Wales.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sun 08 Sep, 2019 12:53 pm

Water parameters after one week of cycling:
Ammonia: 0.25
PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Specific Gravity: 1.026
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 10:54 am

Water parameters after two week of cycling:
Ammonia: 0.50
PH: 8.4
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Specific Gravity: 1.026
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)