• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Wish list time

Just started out in the world of marine aquariums? Daunted by all the information, conflicting advice and just wondering what you should do? This is a forum for all of those that are new to the hobby to ask all and any beginner type of questions.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: New to the Hobby

Wish list time

Postby Red Sea 625XXL » Sat 18 May, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi all,

Not a complete noob to fish keeping, but really extending myself with the next project.

Buying a Red Sea 625XXL to accommodate a must have; a blue tang. Other non-negotiable inclusions are clownfish. Will be a reef setup (with soft corals and a clean-up crew still TBC)

Seeking advice from reefers with 600-700L tanks for the wish list of equipment needed and suggested compatible livestock. Everything including filters, pumps, powerheads, heaters, skimmers, sensors, dosers, lighting, RO/DI brand and size, the works! Also seeking suggestions of friendly tank mates to go with blue tang and clowns.

Advice from Red Sea owners would be greatly appreciated - I’ve seen plenty of youtubers offer their suggested changes to the stock setup - would love to hear more.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to offer their advice :)
Red Sea 625XXL
Hi, I am new around here!

Re: Wish list time

Postby Jutscher » Wed 22 May, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi, and welcome.

That is a pretty big question...
There are as many correct ways to setup a tank, as there are wrong ways, and a lot will depend how you want to do things and your budget. A better starting point may be an idea of what equipment you are considering.

I only have a couple of suggestions to get you started:

1) If you are planning a sand bottom, the standard return nozzles have a habit of blowing sand eveverywhere. A twin lock line return can fix that, add a random flow generator and you are doing even better. You just need to be careful with where you point them, or you can end up recirculating the outlet water.

2) Consider what the growth rate of your softies will be. Even in a larger tank they can take over quickly. Separate islands can help with this.

3) This one I learnt the hard way... consider getting a backup power supply for your powerheads. I lost my entire tank while on holiday, and it only took about 12hours in the middle of summer.

That’s probably enough for now, let us know how you get on with your research.

Oh... and I have a 750xxl.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Re: Wish list time

Postby slawman » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 9:08 pm

Read as much as you can. Go slow.

Buy the best skimmer you can afford.

Get a better idea of the type of animals you want, this has a bearing on the gear as well.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Return to New to the Hobby