• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

CADE Reef Pro?

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

CADE Reef Pro?

Postby Hayley » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello all,

Finally taking the plunge and replacing the tank we sold when moving a couple of years ago. We are looking at something around the 5x2x2 mark.

We were looking at the CADE tanks at Aquaristic today and were wondering if anyone has any first hand experiene with them? The glassless top is very pretty, but I had some concerns about evaporation. I understand they are chinese made, historically I have always preferred US or German made tech, but have been out of the game for new equipment for a while so I am not familiar with chinese quality these days.

Thanks in advance! Hope someone can shed some light before we drop a crazy amount of $$ on a tank.
Hayley
RTAW Reefer

Re: CADE Reef Pro?

Postby uglyman » Sat 05 Jan, 2019 9:29 pm

Cade tanks are very well built and beautiful and the rimless look is nice but you may hate the rimless design as they tend to let water over the sides when your doing anything in them like cleaning or moving stuff in the tank or using an algae scrapper, they also make it easy for fish to jump out, but each to their own :nod: .

The new Red Sea REEFER series tanks are another to consider if you like the look of the Cade tanks and are ok with the rimless design.

https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby Jutscher » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 6:41 am

About 18 months ago I was in the same boat, and looked at the CADE tanks as I wanted a reasonably priced rimless. I ended up going with the the reefer 750xxl and I would gladly get one again if I had to start over. So +1 for the RS reefer tanks however I am sure you would be happy with either.
My 750 goes through between 20 - 40l of rodi p/w depending on the weather. An auto top off like the tunze makes it simple to keep you salinity in check.
The only con that I have found is that the thicker glass can make it difficult for some people when looking up close... a bit like looking through someone else’s glasses. Also the extra weight means you may need a few friends to help move it when it comes time to set it up.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby fsamir » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 12:37 pm

I own a CADE older model and it is very well made. The new models have lots of improvements and you can't go wrong with them.

Besides the Red Sea Reefers already mentioned, there is the new Waterbox brand on the market. It is slightly cheaper, it also looks great and has a well designed sump.
Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
http://inventmarine.com
fsamir
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby Sin » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 8:32 pm

Iv'e owned 3 CADE tanks in the past and don't really have any complaints, Well built, clean look and the glass / aluminum stands is what originally made me buy them. I did have to replace the plumbing on them though as they were always to loud for me.

I couldn't get the size i wanted just recently so i thought i would try the Red Sea Reefer Nano an i am glad i did. Awesome tanks, well built and the overflow is nice an silent.

:cheers: Sin
Sin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby Hayley » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We have taken the plunge and gotten the following:

Reefer 750xxl
2 x vortech mp60s
Teco chiller
3 x radions
Vectra L1 return pump
NYOS Viper to feed the chiller
Red Sea Skimmer

We were also looking at algae reactors and UV filters but aren't quite sold on them at this stage. There is always more time to spend more $$.
Hayley
RTAW Reefer

Postby Jutscher » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 11:28 pm

Congrats on the purchase.

The sump is fairly big, so you can grow a pretty large turf mat without the need to buy an algae reactor. I have my sump lit with an old XR30 pro which is more than sufficient to keep the algae growing... but I still need a bit of GFO from time to time. While on the Radions, I am not sure if three will be enough, as the tank is quite wide, so you may struggle to get enough light around the whole tank if you space the lights out along the long axis.

I am also running the L1... you may want to consider getting a twin (splitter) random flow generator, as the OEM single output can result in a strong flow against the middle of the tank... blowing sand (if thats your thing) everywhere.

Anyways congrats again on your purchase, and enjoy your build.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Hayley » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 6:25 am

That’s pretty much what we thought about the reactor. They look cool but there’s stacks of room in the sump for a fuge. So we figured we’d do that first.

Thanks for the tip on the return flow splitter. I’ll look into it. We are leaning towards bare bottom at the moment for that exact reason. I do like the look of sand though.

We were on the fence about the fourth radion. I can see us adding it in fairly quickly. I had been watching some stuff about mounting the lights higher to reduce any shadowing. Anyone have experience / opinions in that space?
Hayley
RTAW Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion