• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Lighting T5 and LED - overkill?

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Lighting T5 and LED - overkill?

Postby wrenfeathers » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 11:13 pm

Hey folks

I had a reef set up over 10 years ago and am about to get back into the hobby. LEDs weren't available then, or they certainly weren't common.

I'm looking to have a 4x2x2. I was thinking of making my own combination of t5 and LED lighting. Wanted to know what people thought of having a 4x54w t5 set up in the centre with two LED units to complement, one on either side of the T5s.

I was thinking something like the ATI sunpower with 2 x double strip LEDs. See links.

https://www.reefsecrets.com.au/collecti ... 7509001274

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... 6watt.html

I could just go the 6 or 8 tube version of the t5 unit (and have no LEDs) but I would prefer to have the "best of both worlds".

So, would this be too much light (and an unnecessarily high power bill) for my tank? Is one LED unit enough maybe? ( I really am a sucker for symmetry though ;) ). Just scrap the LEDs altoghter?

I want the option to grow most / any corals but am not interested in clams.

Would love to hear people's thoughts, and any experiences with similar set ups (and the particular hardware I have mentioned).

Thanks!
Pete
:cheers:
wrenfeathers
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Lighting T5 and LED - overkill?

Postby Jutscher » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 8:05 pm

Hey,

I cant comment on the two units that you are looking at, but I have been running a T5/LED hybrid for the last 8 months or so and its working really well for me. On a 6x2x2 I am running 4x80w T5’s (6hrs at 100%, no ramp) and 4x75 LEDS, although i am only running them at 40 to 60% between the different channels. Any higher and my SPS get upset, and even then I have a few that prefer the bottom of the tank.

Having the LED’s provide sunrise & sunset with some blue in the evening with the growing power of T5’s was the reason I went with the setup, and I would definately go that way again in the future. HOwever you could easily achieve similar with a 6x T5 setup that has separate/dimmable channels.

For your suggested layout, I probably wouldn’t go with the t5’s In the middle, but that is just my personal preference, cant see why it wouldn’t work. For me, if money was the main consideration, I would probably make a wooden hood with 2x MakeMyLED tubes in the middle, and a pair of T5’s on either side. Could also do it with 2x XR15’s maybe, but not sure of their spread.

If I had a bit more to spend, I would go with an all in one like the Giesemann Aurora or an ATI hybrid.

Anyway, thats just my 2c, good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Re: Lighting T5 and LED - overkill?

Postby wrenfeathers » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi Jutscher

Yeah, after doing some more research I pretty much agree with everything you said. I like the idea of having just the blues on for short periods, and having the whole sunrise/sunset program; this can be done so much easier these days with hybrid set ups and programmable LEDs.

Appreciate the feedback. :thumbsup:

The LEDs I'm thinking of are the Fluval marine 3.0 (or 2.0) or (more likely) the Aqualina MR or SP120.
Would love to hear some feedback from people who have had experience with any of these.
Pete
:cheers:
wrenfeathers
Bicentenary Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion