• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Lighting advice from an older fella that only new halides &t

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Lighting advice from an older fella that only new halides &t

Postby ivesta » Fri 25 May, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi Guys,
..its been awhile since ive been reefing but slowly trying to get my head around a new tank . I've always had a love for an sps dominated tank and have done some research on leds & brands etc just prefer to hear it from guys who are running & happy with there set ups . A 2ft cube was my 1st consideration as budget is tighter after kids.. which i calculated as 2 kessil 360s or Ai. My love would be to set up another 4x2x2 and am curious as to what people are running. Kessil ap700 , Hydras , 3 kessil 360s, Radions..
Thanks in advance
Ivan :cheers:
ivesta
Veteran Reefer

Re: Lighting advice from an older fella that only new halide

Postby Jutscher » Fri 25 May, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi Ivan,

Have you considered going LED/T5 hybrid? I struggled to keep my LPS happy with LED’s alone, and have found that running a couple of decent T5’s, like the Coral + bulbs parallel to LEDs gives you the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t answer your original question, I am running a Giesemann LED/T5 hybrid setup, and am very happy with it.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby ivesta » Fri 25 May, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks mate, may i ask what type of corals do you grow , size tank Geisman model and tank size? I-m starting to think no one has a fully dominated sps tank nowadays without halides or t5s .
Cheers
ivesta
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jutscher » Fri 25 May, 2018 10:50 pm

I have recently moved to a 6ft (750l) system, predominately SPS and LPS, with a few softies for kicks. For light I am running a 5ft Giesemann Aurora and using the Coral plus bulbs... the auroras are a bit on the pricier side, but similar setups can be made for much cheaper.

Prior to moving over, I tried earlier gen radions for about 12 months in my 3ft’er, but changed back to T5’s and saw immediate improvements in colour and growth.

That said, I would be interested to see how people are going with the newer gen Radions etc, as they now have presets that to take some of the guesswork out and even emulate some of the more popular t5’s like the coral +. .

I still use one of my Radion XR30’s, they make pretty effective refugium lights.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby ivesta » Mon 28 May, 2018 6:16 pm

Very informative . Thanks. I want to run a full blown zeo tank now as for no other reason the forum still wishes me happy birthday since 2009! That said will still opt for a fuge so a kessil 360 or whatever decent pops up on the classifieds. Geissmann lighting are hard to find nowadays on a basic search . Who supplies them here in Sydney now and may i ask back a decade ago i befreinded divers/collectors and new some great lfs for your rare lps sps and especially clams .. whose everyone sourcing the arm and leg peices fom nowadays ?
ivesta
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jutscher » Mon 28 May, 2018 7:51 pm

For Clams talk to ACROAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=252675

Someone should be able to chip in where to go for SPS etc over your way. I get most of mine through trading with other reefers over here. In fact, if he remembers, I should be getting a few nice pieces from Chromus this week...
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby ivesta » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:07 pm

I reme.ber Acroal and his amazing sunlit corals and tanks and Chromus around the time i started ! Will have to cat with a few more reefers leeding up to stocking. Wish i never sold all my orals and equipment now..
ivesta
Veteran Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion