• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Does anyone have Suppliment mixing stations??

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Does anyone have Suppliment mixing stations??

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 18 May, 2018 3:44 pm

More specifically, I use 9L containers for Alk and Ca and a smaller 4L for Mg.

Thinking I would like to mix up larger batches so

1) I get more consistency between batches (basically they will all be the same)
2) I can buy the supplements with no worries of them "going off" (I find they absorb the moisture in the environment and go rock hard by the time I get towards the end of them) If they are mixed I am assuming they never "go off"

I am guessing I would need something like a 60L-100L barrel/drum with a tap and a pump for each one as a minimum. I would have the pump go on for 15 mins a day just so nothing settles to the bottom. Mix up a big batch and then just refill the containers under the tank as needed.

Also planning ahead as we do plan to do a lap of Aus - if I have someone watch my tank it would be ideal to have enough made to last for the entire trip so they don't need to mix anything up.

Anyone got large mixing stations and care to share how they do it?
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Does anyone have Suppliment mixing stations??

Postby Sweendog_87 » Sun 27 May, 2018 2:48 pm

Yeah just mix up huge batches of each in large water drums and hook them to your dosing pump and leave them by the tank if you have to

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sweendog_87
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby sparker » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 12:27 pm

Hey Macca,

I use a 30l home brew barrel (https://www.cleverbrewing.com.au/fermen ... el-30.html)
to mix up my supps 25l at a time (I then store in conventional 25l drums with taps on the end for easy filling of dosing containers).

I sit the 30l barrel in my laundry trough with the appropriate amount of RODI in it for the mix I am making, fill around it with near boiling water from the laundry tap, add my chems and chuck an old return pump in the barrel to keep it mixing. I normally leave it for a few hours and when I come back it is mixed perfectly. I open the tap, fill up my 25l storage drum and it's done for another few months.

Easy to do for alk, cal, magnesium, potassium, strontium and even nitrate if required.
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 12:46 pm

sparker wrote:Hey Macca,

I use a 30l home brew barrel (https://www.cleverbrewing.com.au/fermen ... el-30.html)
to mix up my supps 25l at a time (I then store in conventional 25l drums with taps on the end for easy filling of dosing containers).

I sit the 30l barrel in my laundry trough with the appropriate amount of RODI in it for the mix I am making, fill around it with near boiling water from the laundry tap, add my chems and chuck an old return pump in the barrel to keep it mixing. I normally leave it for a few hours and when I come back it is mixed perfectly. I open the tap, fill up my 25l storage drum and it's done for another few months.

Easy to do for alk, cal, magnesium, potassium, strontium and even nitrate if required.

Sounds like the easiet way so far. Since I use 9L drums I guess I could make 25L, tap off 9L, store the rest in a 20L drum. Then as I need more, pour whats left in the 20L drum back, turn the pump n for a re-mix and tap off again.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion