• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Dan & Cathy's 3x2x2 Reef [TOTY 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Dan & Cathy's 3x2x2 Reef [TOTY 2011]

Postby Dan » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:27 pm

Introduction:
This tank is being created as we are starting to find to many limiting factors with our current tank set-up. Its time to take what we have learnt and hopefully go onto bigger and better things.

System Objectives: to have an open, bonsai style aquascape with high quality stock (previously: To create an environment which will eventually be stable enough to keep some SPS successfully whilst still maintaining a sensible budget along the way wherever possible :roflmao: )

System Type: SPS & clam dominated Reef (previously: Mixed Reef - mainly LPS, some SPS & Clams)

Display System:

Strike up Date: October 2009 (Wet around Christmas 2009)

Display Tank: 3x2x2 euro braced with right hand corner weir (durso + backup)

Display Lighting: inWatter 2ft (120wtt) LED (previously an 8x39w T5 Solarmax with ATI tubes)

Stand: DIY Pine stand stained walnut brown

Hood: Open Top (No Hood)

Sump: Custom 3 section semi racetrack style (skimmer -> refuge -> return & utilities)

Refugium Lighting: 24w PC tube

Support systems:

System Water: NSW

Display Water circulation: VorTech MP40W Gen2 + battery backup

Return Pump: Ehiem Compact + 3000

Skimmer: ATB Nano Cone Skimmer (b version) with airstar pump

Evaporation Top Up: Auto top up with float switch & 60lt RO resivoir

Current Water Chemistry(as at 01/02/11):
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 8 dKH
Nitrates: 0ppm
Phosphates: 0.00ppm (Hanna)
Calcium: 420ppm
Magnesium 1300pm

Happy Reefing
:cheers:
Last edited by Dan on Sun 27 Mar, 2011 7:38 am, edited 112 times in total.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:35 pm

Some pics of the stand build. Big thanks to my dad & grandfather who came up for the weekend to build this for me (and to the armchair architects mum & granny :roflmao: ) Just have to do the doors, stain and seal. The LHS panel is held in with lugs so it can be easily removed to insert the sump and the gap at the back will allow ventilation as well as room for the plumbing to come through. Plan on covering in mesh to stop bugs from getting in.

Last edited by Dan on Sun 18 Oct, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:01 pm

picked up the new skimmer today. Reef Octopus NW-200 6540 :pirate:
Stand is ready to stain & varnish tomorrow and next weekend I think we'll order the tank & sump from Dennison. (If I can work out what I want for overflows and sump design :konk: )

Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coral1 » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:04 pm

nice
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Dan » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 5:42 pm

Stand has been sanded, stained in Walnut Brown and recieved the first lick of varnish :-D

Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 5:48 pm

damn Dan, your a busy boy!! :) looking very nice!!
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 5:50 pm

looking good - nice stand :thumbsup:

can't wait to see the LED lighting :devil:
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dan » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 6:05 pm

Deek wrote:looking good - nice stand :thumbsup:

can't wait to see the LED lighting :devil:

yeah its going to be nice! Father-in-Law is an electrical engineer so I'll have some help.. well i'll probably watch :roflmao: We are looking into running the LED's through a printed curcuit board and with timed dimmers but still in pre-planning stage here.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 7:37 am

The light is slowly progressing. Below is some sketches of the proposed build however I think I will be using less LED's than what's pictured there.

Question for all those who have LED builds with Cree's: How many LED's do you think is a large amount without massive overkill? I am thinking around the 36 - 48 globes (half cool white half royal blue) and what have you found to be the best spacing apart? I want good overlap rather than getting a spotlight effect.

Last edited by Dan on Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 7:50 am

looking very nice.. From what ive seen they use a 3:1 ratio of white to blue..
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:41 pm

I drew up some sketches of our "semi racetrack" sump. Would love some feedback on design and how you would improve :cheers:

Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 2:33 pm

Dennison has the tank & sump plans and will tweak them for us. Tank should be ready in a few weeks. Dennison has been an absolute champ and has pointed us in the right direction so many times :bow: :bow:
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 6:35 am

tank build as stalled the last few weeks due to work being flat out! :furious:

The plan for the return was to come up through the weir and then through the side of the weir wall with locline on the end. Reason for this is its an open top tank and I want to top to be clean. This idea poses a problem as I'll need a one way valve here to prevent syphon in a power outage.

Are one way valves a bad idea due to failure to seat property with sponge and algae growth etc???
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bradw6860 » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 7:47 am

Depending on where you have the return exiting in the tank i.e. near the top, you can just drill an anti siphon hole in it, works a treat for mine, and one way valves are noisy as hell and restrict a small amount of the flow. :thumbsup:
bradw6860
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dan » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 7:59 am

other option is not drill a hole in the weir wall and take a few of the comb's prongs out and run the locline over the weir through them but I guess its the height of the end point of the return which is the important part in the syphon dilema.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby captain » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Dan,

you could always use a pvc swing check valve. http://www.duralirrigation.com.au/onlin ... tionID=619

I use these to stop flow back to sump on the return line. I use these and they work great, and they also don't seem to restrict flow and have no parts that can rust.

Captain
captain
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 4:55 pm

That pvc swing check valve is a great idea, so basic and obvious yet so absolutely perfect! No possibly failures though with mould seizing them up or anything? At the very least think I might grab one as a backup for my own tank, nice idea there mate!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby captain » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 5:05 pm

Lukey wrote:That pvc swing check valve is a great idea, so basic and obvious yet so absolutely perfect! No possibly failures though with mould seizing them up or anything? At the very least think I might grab one as a backup for my own tank, nice idea there mate!

Just plumb it in a fashion ie with barrel unions so it can be removed periodically to clean and check over. Every 3-6 months is probably sufficient.

Cpatain
captain
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 5:35 pm

Be really careful with locline through the weir like that. It makes alot of noise when thge water falls. I ended up blocking off one entire side so water couldn't flow down it as the noise when it splashed off the bulkhead drove me crazy. Now I have 5000 litres rushing over 15 cms of weir, which is still noisy.
As long as you're not running a high flow rate it's great and looks fantastic, high flowrate and it's irritating.
-Kirsty

My new 10x3.5x2 SPS dominated mixed reef ( start date: Christmas time)
My 5x2x2 SPS dominated, ATI LED Powered ZEOvit Reef - basically discountinued
Where clams & Angelfish can live in Harmony :)
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 7:08 am

KirTracid wrote:Be really careful with locline through the weir like that. It makes alot of noise when thge water falls. I ended up blocking off one entire side so water couldn't flow down it as the noise when it splashed off the bulkhead drove me crazy. Now I have 5000 litres rushing over 15 cms of weir, which is still noisy.
As long as you're not running a high flow rate it's great and looks fantastic, high flowrate and it's irritating.

do you mean through the weir comb or lower down through the weir wall?

I have the tank design back from Dennison and its looking good :clap: :clap:

Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 7:11 am

captain wrote:Hi Dan,

you could always use a pvc swing check valve. http://www.duralirrigation.com.au/onlin ... tionID=619

I use these to stop flow back to sump on the return line. I use these and they work great, and they also don't seem to restrict flow and have no parts that can rust.

Captain

Thanks mate. From what I've read any type of one way valves leak because of things growing on them like sponges and algae so that after many months open when they close they don't seal property and leak preventing the "one way" opperation of them. How long have yours been installed for as I would imagine my concerns would be long term ones however I could just clean them periodically but thats more work.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 9:15 am

KirTracid wrote:Be really careful with locline through the weir like that. It makes alot of noise when thge water falls. I ended up blocking off one entire side so water couldn't flow down it as the noise when it splashed off the bulkhead drove me crazy. Now I have 5000 litres rushing over 15 cms of weir, which is still noisy.

Do you mean overflow water running down the locline in the overflow box?
You would get the same loud noise without locline if you have a low water level in the overflow box though, yeah?
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby terbit » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 9:27 am

Another option would be to drill another hole in the back panel on the opposite side to the weir,and return through a bulkhead.
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 11:52 am

Yup, the bulkhead in the weir causes massive splashes and such unless it's completely submerged. The top of my bulkhead was partially submerged, so the top was exposed and it stopped the water running freely, so some would hit that bulkhead and splash everywhere. As long as it's fully submerged in the weir it's quite, any part not submerged will drive you crazy.
Hope that makes a bit more sense =)
-Kirsty

My new 10x3.5x2 SPS dominated mixed reef ( start date: Christmas time)
My 5x2x2 SPS dominated, ATI LED Powered ZEOvit Reef - basically discountinued
Where clams & Angelfish can live in Harmony :)
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby captain » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:24 pm

I have been using mine continously for 6 mths now. Still works fine. I periodically shut the pump off to test. However its due for a maintenance clean just to make sure, as you can't be to careful. 10mins maintenance every 3-6mths is pretty good insurance for no floods!!!!!!!

Captain
captain
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 8:09 pm

thanks for the info guys. We have decided to go with the locline through the weir comb for a few reasons:

1. no extra holes need to be drilled (keep costs down)
2. no extra bulkheads need to be purchased (keep costs down)
3. hopefully wont have any noise issues

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 7:58 pm

Here is our latest design of the light. This design maximizes the overall size whilst keeping the size (and weight) of the heatsinks down. The frame will be stainless tubing with plastic connectors and i'd say we will spray it all black so it does not look like a chess board :roflmao: The box at the back will be full of LuxDrive 1000mA drivers & 1 x 700mA for the reds and it will have a perspex cover to keep the salt & water away from the LED's.

What does everyone think about the LED colour configuration? They are all 3 watt CREE XR-E LED's. I have heard the red's add a nice colour tinge so I have thrown three in???

Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Paddy » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm no LED expert by any means but I do have the eco lamp Led's on my tank. In a 2ft unit they have 91 LED's and are 100W units (I would assume making them 1W Leds?) By what i think you have there you will have 108W over 3 feet. I have done all the PAR ratings on mine if you want to have a look but I don't think I would be happy with any less light than I have. (+ I think you get better spread of light from more smaller lights than a few big ones)..

As I said no expert but thats my 2c
Paddy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby n0rk » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 10:19 pm

Just curious, how come you're going with the XR-Es instead of the XP-Gs?
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Dan » Sun 22 Nov, 2009 6:44 am

Paddy wrote:I'm no LED expert by any means but I do have the eco lamp Led's on my tank. In a 2ft unit they have 91 LED's and are 100W units (I would assume making them 1W Leds?) By what i think you have there you will have 108W over 3 feet. I have done all the PAR ratings on mine if you want to have a look but I don't think I would be happy with any less light than I have. (+ I think you get better spread of light from more smaller lights than a few big ones)..

As I said no expert but thats my 2c

good feedback, thanks. I guess the 36 @ 3 watt is a good balance between power and cost, I would need to rob a bank to buy 100 of those suckers. The way i've designed this model it also allows me to easily add a third row of heat sinks and another 18 LED's if it does not cover the full width of the tank.

n0rk wrote:Just curious, how come you're going with the XR-Es instead of the XP-Gs?

I had concerns over the white XP-G overpowering the royal blue XR-E's and also picked up the 20 XR-E Q5 WG (cool whites) for $80AUD shipped which helped the decision a little. Hoping its not a bad decision on my part but I think it should be fine.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)