• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:03 pm

Introduction:
I'd been talking about upsizing the 3x2x2 for some time and I had started to collect equipment some time ago. I've learnt many lessons with that tank despite a lot of thought and planning along the way. Some things worked and some things didn't. Some things were fine and acceptable but were not in line with my plans for this tank. For instance the auto-top up will migrate as is but I have built a FW reservoir and integrated it into the sump.

I had two potential locations but decided on a peninsular style doubling as a room divider. I wanted to integrate the tank into the house yet still leave it "floating" as I know it will need to be moved in the coming years.

System Objectives: It goes without saying that a healthy, thriving and stable system is the goal of any reefer. Oh, and this system has to be quiet.

System Type: Mixed Reef.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 17 April 2010

Display Tank: 1800x788x559 (72"x31"x22")

Display Lighting: I would love to be able to install solar tubes but this isn't a viable option. Instead I have 3x LumenBright Large reflectors. To go with them are 3x 250W MH 14K BLV SE bulbs powered by Coralvue 250W dimmable e-ballasts.

Stand: DIY timber stand. Haven't finalised the cladding yet. Plywood is used to strengthen and brace the stand. I was thinking of painting the ply to match the room's walls trimmed in Tassie Oak to match the style of the house.

Hood: It will be in the same style as the stand. I don't know if it would be a full height hood to cover the reflectors. I was thinking I might let the tops of the reflectors show above. They are not the pendant type though.

Sump: DIY 6mm acrylic with remote DSB and separate sections for the skimmer, refugium and return.

Refugium: Macro algae and live rock rubble in a dedicated section of the sump.

Refugium Lighting: One of the big power saving bulbs. I think I'm currently running a 24W equivalent to 240W or something close to that on a reverse lighting cycle.

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Looking to integrate the closed loop system already in use. This is driven by a Reeflo Dart and distributed by an Oceans Motions Super Squirt for random turbulent flow.

For laminar flow will be from the return assisted by the Tunze TS48 kit with 7096 controller. I was thinking of trying a gyre type system but might have to try and integrate that on the next system in the distant future.

Return Pump: Aquabee 7000

Skimmer: Deltec TC2060 external

Evaporation Top Up: I'll transfer the auto topup from the current tank. RO/DI filtered water from a reservoir. I would have liked to have an auto topup of the reservoir too but the location of the tank does not lend itself to this luxury.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: 2 part dosing (Balling method) using Kamoer dosing pumps.

Alkilinity Addition: Same as above

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium - planning of dosing manually but there is a third pump on the Kamoer.

Current Water Chemistry:
Temperature: 25.0 - 26.7 at end of MH light cycle
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.027
Alkalinity: 3.05Meq/L Salifert
Calcium: 425ppm Salifert
Magnesuim: 1290ppm Salifert
Nitrates: Undetectable Salifert
Phosphates: 0.00->0.04 Hanna Checker
ORP: 450mV

Previous Water Chemistry (Mar Update):
Temperature: 27.0
Alkalinity: 3.14Meq/L Salifert
Calcium: 410ppm Salifert
Magnesuim: 1260ppm Salifert
ORP: 425mV

Previous
Current Water Chemistry:
Temperature: 28.0
Alkalinity: 2.86Meq/L Salifert
Calcium: 410ppm Salifert
Magnesuim: 1360ppm Salifert
ORP: 445mV

Last edited by n0rk on Sun 11 Dec, 2011 12:24 am, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: Title update/ Chemical Support
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:04 pm

Current Oct 2011

FTS - Jul 2011

Previous

Last edited by CheezotheClown on Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated FTS
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:09 pm

sweet, finally see all those purchases in action!!

will be watching this one!! good luck!! :thumbsup:
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:56 pm

It's been on the cards for a while but I had the structural engineer in a couple of weeks ago basically to tell me what I already suspected. So yeah it's a go! :banana:

I have started to enquire about tanks. There is an LFS here that has his tanks built by a third party. Good quality finish with polished and chamfered edges. Of course the 1800x762x508 is a custom size. This particular builder won't warrant the tank unless it is made in 12mm. Also wants 8 weeks and is on the pricey side.

St George will do the same with 12mm base (requested) and 10mm sides at a significantly lower price. They can also polish the cut glass ends for something like $80 extra. They also don't charge $40 per drilled hole :furious:

St George built the tank I have now which is of neat build.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:44 pm

Trying to get things moving again today with more thought to the design of the stand.

Current discussion here: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=210244&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 8:04 pm

With the stand design close to being finalised I am still undecided whether to go for an internal or external weir.

Latest design is up anyway...

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 9:37 am

if you've got the space i think an external wier looks nicer as you have that bit more space in the tank :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bradw6860 » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 9:40 am

agreed :withyou:
bradw6860
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Sun 13 Dec, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah i'd go for the external, after seeing Brads tank (bradw6860) the flow dynamics are much better than another box so to speak within the tank.
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 10:33 pm

Believe it or not I am still undecided here.

I keep switching between supplementing flow with two MP40 Vortechs or to go with the Tunze TS48 kit with 4x 6105. At this stage probably the latter. Either will be in addition to a CL driven by a Sequence Reeflo Dart.

I have just been reading the instruction manual for the Tunze where I understand the magnets, both sides, can be wet. So I'm thinking the Tunze 6105's can be installed on the side wall of an internal weir :think: Has anyone installed a Tunze in this fashion?

I have also started looking around for a Deltec TC1655 external skimmer. Seems to be a reasonable balance between performance, power consumption and price and looks the goods too ;)

Probably need to update the opening thread given the proposed start-up date has well disappeared into the past :wavey: :laugh:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Paul_D » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 6:28 am

I had a Seio mounted on the internal weir for ages with no probs and will probably be returning it there.

Fitted a new Nanostream last night and both magnets are exactly the same so there should be no issue with placing one in the weir.
my wallet empties directly into here
Paul_D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the feedback Paul. I've been doing some reading on the whole Vortech vs Tunze again. I think I'm pretty much decided on the latest Tunze 6105s particularly after your comments confirming placement.

Anybody using the 7096 controller? I was giving this some more thought too ;)
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pebbles » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 1:28 pm

:wavey: Hi Ollie,

CheezotheClown wrote:I have also started looking around for a Deltec TC1655 external skimmer.

I made a day trip recently to Salt Aquariums. They have the new Deltecs in store, but only stock from the 2060 upwards.

Noticed the same on the ABS Technologies homepage... So maybe the distributor hasn't got the 1655 on offer??? :-s
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi Angie :wavey:

Just had a look at the ABS website and I think you are right. The TC1655 is absent from their new-range Deltec brochure. Bugger :konk:

Might have to bring one in from OS if the distributor won't but it's early days yet. As you pointed out to me the other day Reef Depot in Singapore has them.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 6:39 pm

Spent a bit of time designing the sump today on SketchUp.

Of course I had another idea after finishing this design. :wall:

I'll be constructing the sump myself from 8mm acryllic. The width and length dimensions can probably be reduced a little. Basically it is the same size as my 3' tank now bar the height :o There is a huge section for a DSB and one where I can make it 200mm deep.

I've allowed 75mm for a calculated 65mm rise in sump water level should the power go out.

The skimmer will be external and plumbed back into the media section.

I caught a glimpse of an old 2 foot aquarium in the garage earlier. Now I'm thinking that I would like to keep the DSB isolated/remote from the rest of the sump utilising the old 2' aquarium. It's a bit like playing Tetris to fit all the equipment in though. :nut:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 8:23 pm

looks great mate, im sure your calcs are right but do you think 10mm is enough of a margin for error?? :poke: :roflmao:
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 8:46 pm

sydneydrewid wrote:looks great mate, im sure your calcs are right but do you think 10mm is enough of a margin for error?? :poke: :roflmao:

My current sump runs pretty close to that margin :scared: No guts no glory :roflmao:

In the 65mm calculated I've allowed 35L. The tank using outside dimensions and a 20mm running height above the internal weir and 5L for skimmer and pipe runback. The closed loop shouldn't ordinarily drain.

Having said that it is a guess in the end. I was also planning on adding a bund to the floor of the cabinet to contain any splash or mis-calculations :nut:

Just playing with another design atm. I'll try to put that up soon too.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:22 pm

New design just in:

Pros
  • Keeps the DSB remote;
  • Maximises the return chamber;
  • Incorporates the skimmer reducing sump footprint.

Cons
  • Incorporates the skimmer submerged thus needing cleaning on exposed surfaces and is more difficult to remove and access.

Just thought that all I need to do is mirror the design front to back to solve the skimmer access issue :nut: Not going to change it now but basically the return and skimmer sections are swapped as well as the media and refugium sections.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Tom the Reefer » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 10:29 am

looks interesting so far. Will you have to pipes running down in the tank downwards or outside? as all my cables and pipes are running in a tight slot next to the weir down. I like the idea of not seeing all the cables in the back :thumbsup:
Cheers
Tom

Have a great day

My 1000ltr LED Beauty
Tom the Reefer
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby StripestheEel » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:03 am

CheezotheClown wrote:They can also polish the cut glass ends for something like $80 extra.

Can't go past polished edges. Much safer and looks alot neater. :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:40 pm

Tom the Reefer wrote:looks interesting so far. Will you have to pipes running down in the tank downwards or outside? as all my cables and pipes are running in a tight slot next to the weir down. I like the idea of not seeing all the cables in the back :thumbsup:

The weir will have three pipes contained internally using Hansen bulkhead fittings. Intended is a syphon, durso backup/excess and the third will be for the return.

Since I have decided on the Tunze the power cables will run up the side of the weir and over the back. Any cable running down the outside should be obscured from view by the signwriter's vinyl covering the back. :crossfingers:

StripestheEel wrote:Can't go past polished edges. Much safer and looks alot neater. :thumbsup:

I have to say I am still amazed that the cost for the polished edges is relatively cheap for the refined, million-dollar look it gives.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:03 pm

I am hoping to be able to place the order for the tank tomorrow but most likely Friday though :clap:

Now I'm stuck on deciding where to put the holes for the closed loop. I have currently settled on one 50mm intake and five 25mm outlets with the intention of using Locline for final positioning of the outflows.

Not long now ;)

The picture is looking from the bottom up.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 24 Jan, 2010 11:28 pm

Haven't got around to ordering the tank yet but I have started on the stand :banana:

From the raw product.

Pieces cut.

Base drilled and screwed (left) with the top laid out(right).
Last edited by CheezotheClown on Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: html code removed
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 29 Jan, 2010 8:29 pm

Tank has been ordered via St George Aquariums and deserves two bananas :banana: :banana: It'll be three when the tank arrives.:wink:

Have been talked into 12mm all-round too. I saw a couple of other member's new tanks too - lookin' good boys :nod: Including a base for an 8 footer with 15 holes - something like swiss cheese ;) :roflmao:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby piper_89 » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 1:24 am

Ill definately be watching this TJ and taking notes hehe. I like the idea of the remote DSB on your sump too, I might have to "borrow" that idea when I set my new tank up.
piper_89
Centurion Reefer
QLD Reefer

Postby Paul_D » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 4:24 pm

Woot! Good to see it starting to come together mate
my wallet empties directly into here
Paul_D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 7:59 pm

I like your plans so far mate, sounds like it will be wet in no time!
Any more progress on the stand yet?
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 2:24 am

piper_89 wrote:Ill definately be watching this TJ and taking notes hehe. I like the idea of the remote DSB on your sump too, I might have to "borrow" that idea when I set my new tank up.

Thanks. I'm sure I "borrowed" the idea from somewhere too but glad to have inspired :)

Paul_D wrote:Woot! Good to see it starting to come together mate

I'd say. I did originally tell the GF February don't think I exactly specified which year though :roflmao:
Deek wrote:I like your plans so far mate, sounds like it will be wet in no time!
Any more progress on the stand yet?

Hopefully :crossfingers: The stand is coming along slowly though. I'll try to get more pics up soon as the build gets along. Top and bottom frame are together but everything needs to come apart again to get glued.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Luka13 » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:00 pm

Great Plans....It's exciting times ordering the tank. Definately two bananas ;)

Looking forward to seeing the build :thumbsup:
"If you accept the doldrums of life you'll never be a surfer"
Luka13 New Build
Luka13
Centurion Reefer

Postby Tom the Reefer » Wed 03 Feb, 2010 9:26 am

Great plan, have you ever thought to do a channel within the tank for all the cabling and wiring downwards? I did that with my tank therefore you don't see any cables or wires hanging around outside of the tank. :thumbsup: ;)
Cheers
Tom

Have a great day

My 1000ltr LED Beauty
Tom the Reefer
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)