• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Jacksons 3x2x2 2/2/11 ANOTHER Ultra Clam from AcroAl

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Jacksons 3x2x2 2/2/11 ANOTHER Ultra Clam from AcroAl

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 6:48 pm

Introduction:
Hello! Finally setting up a tank again after 4 or 5 years out of the hobby. Have been in the process of accumulating new equipment and trying to remember or re-learn everything I need to know for the last 5 or 6 month. My aims is to at first start with a smaller tank (3x2x2) and in about a year’s time start upgrading to a larger tank. A lot has changed in the last 4 or 5 years, not so much the techniques but the availability of good equipment at decent prices and availability of corals (especially sps!)
Anyway here is the tank journal template to start with, and then tomorrow I’ll post some pics of my tank build so far!

System Objectives: Create a small, easy to maintain yet stunning display tank.

System Type: Mixed Reef with a bias towards SPS

Display System:

Strike up Date: Still Dry

Display Tank: 3x2x2 built by Morley Aquariums (A+ for quality, service and price.)

Display Lighting: 1x400w MH and 2x150w MH all with AMD electronic ballasts and AMD 15K bulbs.

Stand: Very basic pine cabinet.

Hood: Still to be made. I will be making this myself, will be fully enclosed with cooling fans.

Sump: Yet to order the sump, but will be pretty standard, as big as I can fit under the tank with a DSB taking up most of the space. .

Refugium: will be a 1x1x1.5 tank next to the main display fed by the main return pump.

Refugium Lighting:either a 70w MH I have lying around or just a few standard fluoro’s .

Frag Tank: another 1x1x1.5 next to the refugium also fed by the main return pump and possible a small tunze for flow. Lit by a 70W MH with 14K bulb

Support systems:

System Water: : Natural salt water or artificial salt water.... undecided, probably ASW until I sort out a decent storage tank for NSW

Display Water circulation: so far have only purchased a OR6500 for a closed loop drilled into the tank with a 1” SCWD. But will be adding a tunze nano 6055, using a single controller I have from an old tank and also a TUNZE nano wavebox.

Return Pump: an OR6500. Massively overkill but it will be split to also feed a frag tank and a remote refugium so the extra flow will come in handy.

Skimmer: Marine sources MS-A-120-6530.... I think that’s the model number, will check later.

Evaporation Top Up: home-made peri-pump system, modelled on the system from the group buy forum. (Great simple system BTW, kudos to whoever the original poster of that setup was)

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: : Just Kalk at first but will have a calcium reactor hopefully within a few months of start-up

Thankyou, some pictures and a bit more about my plans tommorow!
:wavey:
Last edited by JacksonLee on Fri 04 Feb, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

couple of pics

Postby JacksonLee » Fri 10 Jul, 2009 7:52 am

unfortunately ive left my camera at a mates house so cant get any tank pics. here is a few photos that ive already uploaded, not very exciting.

Marine Sources Skimmer:

aquascaping with base rock from a tank i had ages ago:
Last edited by JacksonLee on Tue 26 Jan, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby axeman9999 » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 10:16 pm

Love that rock work, whenis the tank going to be wet?

any updates?
THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE
axeman9999
Centurion Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 4:21 pm

WOW, what an epic this has been! havent been updating as everything has just been happening so slowly, thank god i had my nano setup to keep me sane.
Tank has now cycled and is 90% complete, only waiting on the arrival of a vortech mp40w to replace the 3 small powerheads i have in there and an RO filter.
Here is a pic of the final aquascape
(ignore the ugly powerheads in the tank, they are temporary while i wait for something larger to arrive! had to rush transfering the corals from my nano into this tank due to the heat)

20kg of the rock came from 'the fish doctor' over here in perth and another 20kg came from pete at 100% reef safe. Im really happy with all the live rock, great shapes and so full of life! heres a few pics of some hitchhikers that came in on the rock.

should probably explain my system a little more too. Its a 3x2x2 with a sump underneath that is almost entirely a DSB with just a compartment for heaters, auto topup and a hole drilled for an externally plumbed return pump (OR6500).
the return pump is split into 3 outlets, one to the main tank, one to the refugium and one to the frag tank. the refugium, frag tank, external skimmer, return pump, all the plumbing and auto-topup resevoir are all in a cupboard next to the tank (i made all the cupboards myself and didnt want to have to squash everything in the cabinet under a 3x2x2) heres a pic with all the doors open.
closeup of the sump:
inside the cupboard

will add a bit more after lunch!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Sun 03 Jan, 2010 12:56 am

Went to ocean reefs today and picked up 2 nice acans, a coral banded shrimp and 3 peppermint shrimp. Tanks going nicely, all the corals from my nano are settling in really well, and seem to enjoy being in a tank without the heat problems the nano suffered.
now some pics!

Full tank shot

New Acans

CBS

Peppermint shrimp

And some photos of some corals that have come from the nano

and one last one of the stromb snail
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Jacksons 3x2x2 New CDU corals!

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 10:58 pm

quick update, ordered a few corals from CDU which i got sunday.
heres a few pics:
heliofungia
Blasto
the two hammers i got, colour look a bit washed out in the second pic, extremely fluoro green in real life!
and one of the 6 or so morphs that i got, the lights decided to turn off as i was taking photos so only got pics of this one!

stoked with the order, was worth the little bit of hassle it took to get it! (virgin bumped it off the first flight which meant it didnt arrive until midnight, and then there was no quarantine officer to release it.)

everything else in the tank is looking great, finally starting to see some growth in alot of the corals, especially the zooanthids with some colonys seeming to multiply overnight! unfortunately one of my favourite acans got knocked off its spot by a snail or hermit crab right onto the cataphyllia and all but 2 of the polyps on it were dead when i found it, which was devastating!
just fragged up a few morphs to test out the frag tank and have recieved a bunch of frag plugs, frag discs and fragging gear from ausfrags.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 26 Jan, 2010 7:38 pm

had a near miss yesterday, one of the 150w ballasts blew, tripping the circuit breaker for the tank. luckily the power was only off for half an hour according to the timers so no harm done. one light down but still have the other 150w and the 400w mh's, the lighting just looks a little bit uneven until i get a new ballast.
got another order from CDU, heres some pics:
new acans
some acro frags, they seem to be doing well, nice polyp extension, but they've only been in the system for a few days. they're just in the frag tank for now until im sure they'll be fine then i'll move them to the main tank
rainbow monti frag, awesome looking coral! after seeing the superman monti spiro got im kicking myself i didnt order one of them aswell!
and a lucky dip scolly, not the greatest coral but the highlights are nice and fluoro

and finally a full tank shot

I'm a little bit nervous, as in a few weeks im going diving in exmouth (ningaloo reef) for 10 days, hopefully the tank will be fine!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby siddr20 » Tue 26 Jan, 2010 7:42 pm

OMG that monti is beautiful!!

Your tanks looks great mate :)

Oh and how much did that skimmer set you back?
siddr20
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 26 Jan, 2010 8:10 pm

yeah mate, stunning coral!
thanks for the compliment, im really happy with how the tanks looking at this stage, everything seems really healthy and the test results are showing the water is good (although nitrates wont go below 5, but on the positive side they arent going over 10)
the skimmer set me back about $280 from memory, although i could be wrong! absolute bargain for how good it is, consistently pulls out a good amount of thick dark sludge, neck always seems to need cleaning though!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Jacksons 3x2x2 Finally updated! Lots of new pics!

Postby JacksonLee » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 1:17 am

Wow, its been a long long time since i updated this journal!
Tank has been coming along nicely, no real major problems as yet, although a wandering BTA recently took out a few nice acro colonies.
Heres a recent FTS;
Click here for a larger version of the FTS

as you can see the tank is pretty full, no more room for corals! Although i could probably add another fish or two.
The current fish list is;
2x occ clowns
1x lineatus fairy wrasse
1x flame hawk
1x mandarin
1x yellow coral goby
I will hopefully be adding a Midas blenny to that list very soon, and then will probably leave it at that. Although im considering adding another fairy wrasse (probably a Cirrhilabrus jordani or a Cirrhilabrus laboutei)

heres a few more pics!

on the equipment front, i've just set up a korallin calcium reactor and added on a second chamber, which is more than keeping up with the calcium requirements of the tank, still dialing it in though.
Ive also ordered a FBF and NP biopellets from guppies that should arrive this week. Ive been using Prodibio with great results for the last 4 or so months, so will keep using bio-digest with the biopellets.

:cheers:
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby burley » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 8:57 pm

Holly hell, Been awhile with the update. Looks like the tank grew over night. Amazing tank. Nice colour
I hope mine looks as good as that when we have finished with it.
Well done Jackson.
Very impressive.
Chris
burley
Centurion Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks mate, its been alot of hard work but its just starting to really pay off. Everythings growing nice and fast and the colours are looking better than ever.
Picked up a few pieces tonight from Fish Doctor, an extremely nice fluoro green/yellow ric, some interesting zoas and a nice rock of greeny-blue and dark orange rhodactis'.
Heres the ric and the zoas, the rhodactis hadnt opened before the lights went out so will have to get a photo later.

hows that, no update for 8 months and then 2 in 3 days!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby damer » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:43 am

looks great Jackson.

nice Ricordea
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:43 pm

thanks Damer, yeah the ricordia's a beauty.
Recieved my phosban reactor, a new pump and 500ml of NP biopellets from Guppys today. My nitrates and PO4 arent especially high, my nitrates seem to hover around 5 and my phosphates at 0.06 so im hoping these will help take the nitrates down to 0 and lower the PO4 a bit.
I love opening orders from OLFS, its like christmas every time!
a quick trip to bunnings for hose, clamps and a few fittings and its set up:
Still trying to work out exactly how much the pellets need to tumble, they are fairly moving about at the moment, might have to restrict the pump a bit. also not sure about leaving the black filter mesh stuff in the reactor, thinking it might trap alot of detrius in it.
Also took a few photos of the calcium reactor i set up last week. I already had a korralin reactor that i planned on using but the CO2 bottle and PH controller came with a Weipro calcium reactor (thanks Notsomot :thumbsup: ) and it seemed a shame to waste it, so i removed the pump and used it as a second chamber for the korallin.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby burley » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:06 pm

Dont over do the updates. :roflmao: We want know what hit us.
The hard work has paid off. Nice ric
Chris
burley
Centurion Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm

I thought seeing as i missed so many months out of this journal i would post a few old FTS's to show the progression of the tank:

December 2009

December 2009

January 2010

Febuary 2010

March 2010

April 2010

May 2010

August 2010
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby damer » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:18 am

great progress shots. its looking fantastic.

how is the rainbow monti going?
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby JacksonLee » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 7:38 pm

damer wrote:great progress shots. its looking fantastic.

how is the rainbow monti going?

Unfortunately the Rainbow monti fell off the frag rack and onto a hammer coral :furious: Half of it died off and the other half is only just starting to get the colours back into the polyps. It was extremely devastating as it was only just starting to grow after taking a while to get settled in the tank, hopefully it comes back though.

Added a few bits and pieces on the weekend, finally made it down to RiverReef to have a look at their stock and picked up some really nice morphs. A "superman" morph, a Green and red/orange morph and some purple rhodactis. Also picked up 5 more peppermint shrimp at the Oceanarium MASWA meeting and then stopped off at the Fishdoctors place on the way home and walked away with 2 very nice rics (a ghostly pink one and a bluey purple and green/gold one) and a nice little acro colony that is purple with fluoro green polyps.

Morphs from riverreef:

Rics and acro from Fishdoctor
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Wratto » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 8:05 pm

Nice looking acros man,the colours are awesome! 8P.

Cheers
Wratto
Wratto
Centurion Reefer

Postby tommo77 » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 3:48 pm

Mate your tank is looking amazing nice to see my hammer is still going strong!
Tommo's 4x2x2

Cheers,
Chris
tommo77
Veteran Reefer

Postby Unagiman » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 3:55 pm

Some super-nice corals in your tank there! nice work
Unagiman
Veteran Reefer

Postby Assist » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 4:51 pm

hey your tank looks sweet as nice dude where did u get the superman monti i want one so bad
Assist
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
Tommo, the hammer is still going strong, its a sensational coral! Good to see you back, are you building up your tank again?
Assist: i got the superman monti frag from another MASWA member, very nice coral! can wait for it to grow out.

Had a pretty bad morning, first thing i saw in the tank this morning was that my pink lemonade had started to RTN from the base overnight.
No idea what caused it, the rest of the tank looks great with no problems with any of the other acros.
I gave the coral a dip in melafix and cut it off above the RTN and glued it onto a frag rock. I really hope it comes good again as its probably my favourite acro in the tank and was the growth i was getting out of it was insane!
Heres a pic of the new and reduced pink lemonade.
Also while checking the rest of the tank for any problems i noticed one of the morphs i got last weekend had flatworms on it, cant believe i didnt notice them when i was taking photos of it! heres the same pic i posted last week with the flatworms circled.
Wasnt sure what to do with it so i took the morph out and put it in a tub of freshwater and blew the flatworms off with a pippette, hope i got them all!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dan » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 5:55 pm

I can't believe you DID see those FW they are blended in so well :o

Your tanks looking very nice, loved the progression shots.
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby burley » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 7:18 pm

Good pickup on the flat worms. I didn't even see them.
I know i can look at my tank 4 or 5 times and still miss looking at some of the corals.
I hope the pink lemonade survives. Keep us updated on it's progress.
Cheers
Chris
burley
Centurion Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:32 pm

well the pink lemonade didnt make it :( the melafix dip slowed the RTN but over the next few days the rest of the flesh disappeared. I still have a frag of it thankfully but very devastated about losing the colony.
on a positive note i got some great new rics this week, a rainbow ric and a red and blue.

Ive also got a few more rics and a Labouti wrasse arriving soon, hopefully monday!

Heres some photos!
"hammer ridge"
Metallic green acro frag that seems to be growing well
A clam i got from oceanarium, it was tiny when i got it but has grown noticably and coloured up amazingly
this clam has faded a bit in the last few weeks, have started feeding phyto more often in the hope it helps
and a few of my acans
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Jacksons 3x2x2 New Rics and other photos 11/9

Postby burley » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 8:46 pm

You keep teaseing us with nice corals. Sorry to hear about the lemonade. On a better note the rics are to die for.
burley
Centurion Reefer

Re: Jacksons 3x2x2 New Rics and other photos 11/9

Postby Stormtrooper » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 3:40 pm

It all looks very nice Jackson, a really good set up. :clap:

David
Stormtrooper
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: Jacksons 3x2x2 New Rics and other photos 13/9

Postby JacksonLee » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks, im really happy with the way everythings going (despite the pink lemonade rtn :( )
A big thanks to wayne (Sailfin) who sent over two very nice rics and a beautiful Labouti Fairy Wrasse. I think that completes the fish list for the tank, which is now:
*Pair of occy clowns
*Labouti fairy wrasse
*Lineatus fairy wrasse
*flame hawk
*mandarin
*yellow coral goby
im quite happy to leave it at that as i really like the mix.
got some photos of the rics but the labouti didnt want to be photographed it seems and wouldnt stay still :konk:

while i was at it i took some other photos:
some frags i got from acroal that have really started to take off
acan
coral goby waiting for food!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Jacksons 3x2x2 New Rics and other photos 13/9

Postby galleri3090 » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:26 pm

What a great tank!

Love the progression and theres some really choice pieces in there.

Very well done, mate. :clap:

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)