• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rusty1's 6x2x2 - [Winner TOTM June 2009]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Rusty1's 6x2x2 - [Winner TOTM June 2009]

Postby Rusty1 » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:35 pm

Introduction:
I have been keeping marine's for 2 years now and this is my 3rd upgrade in that time. I started with a 3 x 18 x 18 then moved onto a 4 x 2 x 2'4 which is my current set up. This new 6 x 2 x 2 has been my most thought out to date and is a prelude to a 6'6 x 3 x 2'4. The bigger tank will be an in wall tank which will have a dedicated fishroom and is 2 years away, once we finally get into the new house we have just bought.
I also enjoy been involved in the community and like to give back to fellow members of our society whatever way I can. If it had not been for the likes of long time MASQ members Tone, SteveMG, Dennison, Bill and Sherro57 I would more than likely have thrown in the towel after 6 months. Been a member of MASQ has allowed me to not only to meet fellow reefers but also make some great new friends.
All of the equipment that I have purchased since moving to the 4 x 2 x 2'4 has been with a much larger tank in mind :)

System Objectives: I am hoping to maintain a successful mixed reef tank incorparating fish, SPS, LPS and a limited amount of softies. I like movement in my tanks and while I love the colors from SPS I can not escape the mesmorising effect LPS and some softies bring to a tank. I also like to see fish swimming around and hope to achieve the desired result through good husbandry techniquies and use of natural diltration methords such as live rock, remote DSB and refugium.

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: The livestock for this tank has been purchased since I started November 06. I still have the original Jardini and other corals. The 6x2x2 should be in action by mid October. 80% of the this system has been in my 4ft'er for the last 12 months or more.

Display Tank: Display tank specifications. It is a Dennison built 6x2x2 with a centre overflow. It has a 50mm drain and 25mm return hole contained within the weir. The weir is completed with an aqua medic comb and is covered by a black acrylic to enhance coraline growth. I purchased the tank 2nd hand from MASQ member Bill. It also has an adhesive black vinyl on the back wall.
My intention is to run the 25mm drain as a full syphon with a Durso back up. The return will be plumbed over the top.

Display Lighting: Still in the works. Once filled, I will be running a 6ft all in one 150watt MH light with T5 atinics and moonlights. I am hoping Tone still has his Lumenanarcs which I will purchase once the tank is up and running. I intend to still suppliment with T5's to get an appealing color balance.

Stand: The frame is a 50 x 25mm boxed steel stand. This was made by Bill and is 1020 high . I have altered it slightly to get extra hieght to accomadate my skimmer. I have also enclosed the stand after,I repainted it, with 12mm Ply. I didthis to acieve 2 things 1. Allow me to hide my equipment and 2. try to keep the noise to a minimum. Once set up, if it is still noisey I will put insulation on the inside panels to reduce the noise further. I have sanded and stained the ply in a Redwood color and is finished with a gloss.
While the cladding offers a purpose it still needed to look ok to go in the house!!!! :konk:

Hood: Open top, no hood planned at this stage. If the lights are annoying I will make a surround for the top to stop excess light shining through the room.

Sump: Sump is built by Dennison and is coppied from the many that are appearing on these pages. It is 900 x 580 x 450mm high. It is devided into four sections which comprise of the overflow -> DSB -> Media -> refugium ->return.

Refugium: See above

Refugium Lighting: 2ft power compact.

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: I will have 2 x Vortex at either end. I intend to run 2 pumps around 6000lph off the side walls of the weir to blow directly into the back of the rock work to make sure I have no dead spots. Total turnover I expect to have will be around 35K lph. This does not include return.
Return Pump:Undecided but something around 3000lph at 1.6mtr head hieght.

Skimmer: Marine Sources MS-A-200-2-6540
Skimmer type:External type

Evaporation Top Up:Manual at this point. Can someone make an auto 1? :wavey:

Other Equipment I will be running a Halia 1HP chiller and 1000watt Titanium heater with external Temperature control.
I will have 2 FBF running a phosphate reducer and possibly Seachem Denitrate in the other.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Calcium Reactor (Turbo Special)

Alkilinity Addition:Calcium Reactor (Turbo Special)

Other Chemical Maintenance:

None at this point.

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates: 10PPM
Phosphates: .17
Alkalinity: 2.96KH
Calcium: 420PPM
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesuim: 1350

These are current parameters on my 4ft system.

Last edited by Rusty1 on Sat 23 Jan, 2010 6:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:58 pm

So this week I have finished sanding and staining the ply to make a cabinet look. Both end panels are removable and the 2 front doors large. This will enable easy access when and if needed.

When all panels are in place I am reasonably with the result. It is not perfect but I am not a cabinet maker either and am working with limited equipment.

Given the choice again I would not have used an all in 1 vanish and stain and would not have gone with a gloss. I would also have done the doors as overlays as this would have been easier for hinging. I would also have gone with a thicker grade of Ply. Despite this, I am still happy with the results achieved.

I have done the first coat on the inside of all the panels tonight and will give them the 2nd in the morning. Then it is a matter of adding some magnet catches, a small panel on the back to attach power boards and we are done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:00 am

Cannot Wait for the Pic's Russ, hows it all looking mate ??
:cheers:
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:11 am

AuS MaDDoG wrote:Cannot Wait for the Pic's Russ, hows it all looking mate ??
Tony.

I will have the cabinet completed by t/row. I will get the plumbing sorted this weekend as well and if I can find some labour get the tank on the stand for a fresh water test. If all ok I will move it into the room next weekend and break down the 4ft'er and place the stock in the temporary 5ft'er.
Then it is a matter of water and away we go.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:12 am

If you need a hand with the tank change over let me know and I will be there. Do not think I could help with the tank lift though :wall: Drives me nuts not being able to lift now!!
Anyway like I said let me know.
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 12:23 am

AuS MaDDoG wrote:If you need a hand with the tank change over let me know and I will be there. Do not think I could help with the tank lift though :wall: Drives me nuts not being able to lift now!!
Anyway like I said let me know.
Tony.

Thanks Tony, might bring you in for aquascaping advise only!! No lifting!!!! :devil:

I still feel guilty about breaking your back last time :(
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby apalsson » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 6:18 am

Looking the goods Rusty !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you need help with the transfer, let me know and I'm happy to come and give you a hand

:cheers: :cheers:
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 11:16 am

apalsson wrote:Looking the goods Rusty !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you need help with the transfer, let me know and I'm happy to come and give you a hand

:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Ari. If I need help I will post it up in the rescue (aka MASQ) forums :)

I will see you this afternoon!
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 6:37 pm

I got the stand finished so now need to get it in place and get the tank on top so I can start plumbing.
Stand as it is now although still a bit of dust on it.

Some neat little fish door handles (kinda tacky I know but I like em)

I siliconed behind the from border to ensure no water gets between the play and the metal stand.
Tank after a good clean...was all green and pink when I got it :)

So now it is making the hard decission when to pull down the 4 ft'er and put it in place and start plumbing.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby damoztishfank » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 6:52 pm

i love the fishy handles i want some where'd ya get them?
Cheers Damo
damoztishfank
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:27 pm

damoztishfank wrote:i love the fishy handles i want some where'd ya get them?

I found them at Bunnings.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby damoztishfank » Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:32 pm

sick i actually seen sea star handles i was gunna use but might go fishies
Cheers Damo
damoztishfank
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:51 pm

I'll be following this TJ with much interest Russ!!

Having my new project at about the same stage, I can appreciate how much effort you have put into this already! You've got the makings for a killer tank.

Hey, have you considered having more than one heater? If one dies you've got a back up. (If you want one back that you are sending me just yell)

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 9:00 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:I'll be following this TJ with much interest Russ!!

Having my new project at about the same stage, I can appreciate how much effort you have put into this already! You've got the makings for a killer tank.

Hey, have you considered having more than one heater? If one dies you've got a back up. (If you want one back that you are sending me just yell)

Thanks Rod..it is quite exciting but to be honest I wish I was doing my inwall :devil:

Up here it doesnt really get too cold so heating is not a massive issue. Now you have made me think about it all the digital thermometers I have will be hidden in the cabinet on this 1 so it wont be staring me in the face. I dont need 1 back I will just be aware of it for now. My main concern is if the chiller died!!!!!!

I got the sump in place today and have started considering how the plumbing will work for me. I have decided on the Laguna 4200 pump as my return. It is 95watts though, is that slightly high for that rate of water?
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby Adam007 » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Rusty, my Eden 4200lph is 80watts so I would not say the laguna is over the top.
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 8:47 pm

:wavey:

We want some pics!! We want some pics!!
;) Cheers
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 9:15 pm

Echo Echo Echo

:poke:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Slave Driver Maddog!!!!!!!!

Postby Rusty1 » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:48 pm

Ok Ok ...so here is the update.

The day started with me starting to pull down the current tank and pulling out all the rock I do not know if I want in my new tank... Then moved onto getting rock out and organising everything for the move.

Tony showed up about midday and we pulled the corals out and placed them in a small tank next to the existing 1. We then took all the rock and put it in the 5 ft'er which will hold all livestock till the new 1 is wet.

From this:

To this:

The crew: From Left to Right Mark (GC Discus) Brett (BrettM74) Ari (Apalsson) and Tony (AusMaddog)

As you can see with this amount of labour we had no dramas moving either tank in or out and the trolly I got was brilliant. The only real lifting involved was on and off the stands and the 4ft's sand and water filled sump ;)

I would like to thank all 4 guys who turned up today...without you guys this would not have happened. All 4 drove some distance to get here and I can not thank you enough.
Between moving tanks, having some people come and look at the various equipment I had for sale plus tanks and a teenage daughter getting busted at a party drinking you were all very patient as I was run off my feet.

Tony stayed on and thought he would check out the plumbing. Well apart from not having and thread tape it would have been completed. Man that guy just ploughs through the work. Thanks heaps Tony, you really are too kind :) :thumbsup:

Simple but effective. Left is the 32ml Back up Durso, right is the 25mm full siphon to the skimmer.

Chiller plumbed into return line

Flexitube from chiller conecting to the PVC plumbing sucured by a bracket

Then onto a tee where I will run 2 lines into the corner of the weir to circulate the water in these areas and keep everything moving. This will all be hidden by the rocks.

So to what we have now:

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby kurt » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:04 am

Thats cheating :poke:

Nice work guys good luck with the new setup Russ.
kurt
Veteran Reefer

Postby damoztishfank » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:18 am

looks fantastic mate, cant wait to see it wet!!!
Cheers Damo
damoztishfank
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:47 am

Awesome. Always works better when fellow reefers help out.

Awesome work MASQ'rs.

I'm sure the teenage daughter will have punishment dealt abit later while you admire the new set up mate! Shes a beaut. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 6:50 am

kurt wrote:Thats cheating :poke:

Nice work guys good luck with the new setup Russ.

Haha...it would never have happened without them!!! Thannks Kurt.

looks fantastic mate, cant wait to see it wet!!!

You and me both!

Awesome. Always works better when fellow reefers help out.

Awesome work MASQ'rs.

I'm sure the teenage daughter will have punishment dealt abit later while you admire the new set up mate! Shes a beaut. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Yeah reall is worth being a member of your local MASx.

As for the daughter, she will not see outside of the house again at least till she is 32 :furious: :furious: :nono:
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:12 am

apalsson wrote:Hey Rusty, I see you guys didn't exactly sit idle after I left .... well done !!
Plumbing is looking great !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When do we see it wet?

Well plan is today to tidy off the plumbing and install all electricals.

Then I will organise some water and we will be wet Ari. Maybe this week!!!!!!!

Coming back for the livestock transfer again??? :roflmao:
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby apalsson » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 7:15 am

Hey Rusty, I see you guys didn't exactly sit idle after I left .... well done !!
Plumbing is looking great !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When do we see it wet?
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:21 am

Excellent job guys!! :clap: :clap:

Hey, you'll all have to plan a trip to Adelaide when I do my change over! :roflmao:

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby apalsson » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Hey, you'll all have to plan a trip to Adelaide when I do my change over! :roflmao:

Tell you what ..... come up to Lennox Head next weekend and help me transfer the livestock into my new tank and I'll think about it :devil:
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:51 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Excellent job guys!! :clap: :clap:

Hey, you'll all have to plan a trip to Adelaide when I do my change over! :roflmao:

Thanks Rod...the guys were brilliant.

If there was frags for all I am sure they would be there in no time!!!!
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:52 pm

apalsson wrote:
Rod the Reefer wrote:Hey, you'll all have to plan a trip to Adelaide when I do my change over! :roflmao:

Tell you what ..... come up to Lennox Head next weekend and help me transfer the livestock into my new tank and I'll think about it :devil:

That should be a good transfer Ari...at least they are in the same room!!!

Want to borrow the trolly?

(Will check with the boss and see whats on next w/e;) )
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 8:56 pm

apalsson wrote: Tell you what ..... come up to Lennox Head next weekend and help me transfer the livestock into my new tank and I'll think about it :devil:

I'd love to!!!

What an offer! All expenses paid holiday to Queensland! ;) You shouldn't have. :roflmao:

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 12 Oct, 2008 9:06 pm

Update time!

I didnt get much done today as I was still stuffed from yesterday and last night. I got some power boards on and worked out where the pumps will go. I glued some plumbing in and also taped up some threads.

I will get some pics shortly.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
Rusty1

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)