• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

r0cksteady's 8ft REEF SAFE SCAPE - NEW PICS!!!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

r0cksteady's 8ft REEF SAFE SCAPE - NEW PICS!!!

Postby r0cksteady » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm

CURRENT FTS (26/07/2012):

Hi All,

I am currently setting up an 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft starfire reef tank replacing my old 5ft x 2ft x 2ft setup. At the moment my 5ft has now been broken down completely and I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hosting my current reef inhabitants whilst the 8ft is allowed time to cycle \ establish itself. I would really love to leave the 8ft sit there cycling for 6 months but think temptation will overcome me and it will be cut short but I am determined to make an effort to keep it predator free as long as possible.

The main time restraints on this setup have been the fact that I had to setup a temp 6ft tank separately so that I could safely break down the 5ft without any mishaps and I also had a whitespot outbreak causing me to keep the fish in the old 5ft whilst treating with hypo salinity. I have also had further strikes of bad luck with my display tank splitting (due to all round poor workmanship), my sump smashing (due to a clumsy mate) and my frag tank smashing (due to poor workmanship - glass too thin).

I have found much inspiration and direction in Anthony Calfo's "Book Of Coral Propagation", his advice is well balanced and respected.

Im trying to reduce maintenance and areas of failure to a minimum. I will try to automate as much as possible, not from a laziness point of view but to help remove myself from being a point of failure in its operating as I am very much an elephant in a china store with these big sausage fingers of mine :)

LOCATION \ LAYOUT:

Here's a basic idea of the house layout and where Im planning on placing the tank. It will be replacing my old 5ft display and in order for me to have a smooth transition I will be setting up a 6ftx2ftx2ft at the other end of the lounge on the same wall. The wife is going to freak when im in the transitional phase of have both the 6ft setup and then the newly purchased 8ft side by side. 14ft of tanks in a row lol.

I will also be using our current cupboard which stores our hotwater service and ducted heating by gutting the lot and putting in all of the equipment such things as a sink\skimmer\reactors\shelves\chiller etc.

HARDWARE SETUP:

DISPLAY TANK SPECS - DONE

*8ft (96") x 2.5ft (30") x 2.5ft (30") - Approx 1312 Liters / 356.4 Gallons

*16mm Starphire Glass \ Low-Iron (front, sides and top ie bracing)

*Polished Edges

*Tinted Weir (sides and front but not bottom)

*Black Silicone

*Silent\Fail-Safe Siphon - BeanAnimal Design

*Horizontal Weir\Overflow (Calfo Style) - See above \ combined with BeanAnimal Siphon. Tinted Black sides and front but with clear bottom to allow light to get through to below sandbed etc.

*Euro Braced (Single laser cut piece with one central cross beam as per engineers requirements)

*20 x 20kg 2mm Coral Sand for a 5" deep sand bed in the display

*Live Rock - I will primarily be basing this off a visual process but expect to use approx 200kg of fresh live rock.

TANK STAND - COMPLETED

MATERIAL: Pine frame & Marine Ply top and bottom base

FINISH: Painted gloss white

FRAME HEIGHT: 950cm high

FEATURES:
*1 concealed end panel (no door knob, concealed latches)
*4 front doors (door knobs, concealed hinges)
*bottom skirting
*top pelmet (removable) - sits ontop of display tank
*water proofed
*doors sealed against light
*hard backing
*quad fan vents to assist with oxygen & reducing humidity

EQUIPMENT

SUMP:

7ft (84") x 2ft (24") x 1.5ft (18") Sump - 594.6 / 157.1 Gallons - DONE - Baffles divided into 6 sections. From left to right it will be:

*Carrib Sea Mineral Mud (8" DSB) & Macro Algae (One of two outlet split from wier\overflow return from display)
*Carrib Sea Aragonite\Aragamax Select (8" DSB)
*Coarse Coral Rubble (8" DSB)
*2mm Coral Sand with Live Rock (8" DSB)
*Return Section
*Split Wier\Overflow Return & Equipment\Treatment Section. ie. Heaters, Skimmer, Carbon, Reactors etc.

FLOW:

2 x Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 (6205's 5,000 - 22,000 l/h each) - PURCHASED.

2 x Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 (6305's 9,000 - 30,000 l/h each) - PURCHASED.

Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 - 7096 Multicontroller PURCHASED.

Tunze Wavebox 6212 & Tunze Wavebox Extension 6212.50 - PURCHASED

FILTRATION:

Ozonizer\Redox Controller (AquaZone Ozone Generator 200 Deluxe w/built-in controller & air dryer) + Single Air Pump- PURCHASED

Skimmer (Reef Octopus Hurricane 4000 4X) - PURCHASED

Return Pump (Reeflo Hammerhead Gold - 21,000 lph) - PURCHASED

Calcium Reactor (Reef Octopus SNF-200) - PURCHASED

Denitrator (Octopus CalFusion 2500:CR-140) - PURCHASED

Phosphate Reactor (Reef Octopus PhosFusion 1500) - PURCHASED

MEDIA:

Phosphate Reactor - PhosBan

Calcium Reactor - Deltec Rowa Lithc+

DeNitrator - Aqua Medic Sulphur Beads

MISC:

c02 bottle - Brewcraft 6.8kg PURCHASED

Chiller (Supreme Aqua 1.5 HP) + (Plumbed inline with return) - PURCHASED

Generator (GEN4500ES ie 4.5Kva) - PURCHASED

Heater 500W + Digital Controller (Mercury Aqua) x 2 - PURCHASED

Auto top off - Tunze Osmolator Universal (3155.000) - PURCHASED

PH Controller (Tunze PH/C02 controller set 7074/2 ) - PURCHASED

PAR Light Meter - Apogee Instruments Quantum Meter Dual Calibration PURCHASED

RO/DI - PSI-019B-DI - PURCHASED

FOR NSW COLLECTION:

2 X 1000L IBC Containers for NSW collection PURCHASED

1 x Water Pump 6.5HP 1000 L /Min Petrol 4 Stroke Cara PURCHASED

1 x Dual Axel Tandem Trailer with light truck tires and raised suspension rated for 2 tonne PURCHASED

LIGHTING:

4 x CLB DE Pendant (Coralvue Lumen Bright Double Ended Pendant Reflection) - PURCHASED

4 x IceCap 250-MH Ballast PURCHASED

4 x Phoenix 14,000K DE MH PURCHASED

Sump Light - 6FT Double T5 54W High Output - PURCHASED

FRAG TANK: - Plumbed inline with DT

FLOW - Tunze Nano Wavebox (6206) PURCHASED

LIGHTING - Solarmax T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT 4x39W H/O 900 Long Individual Reflectors /w 4 x Ati Aquablue Special 39w Globes. PURCHASED

PREPARATION WORK REQUIRED BEFORE SETUP:

*Upgrade home switchboard to safety switches - DONE

*Get dedicated electrical fuse\line installed just for marine setup - DONE

*Install Baileys 3300 Litre (726G) Water Tank for storage of natural salt water - DONE

*Seal salt water storage tank to ensure no light (stop algae) nor rain water can enter\ contaminate tank - DONE

*Relocated Hot Water Service from planned equipment cupboard to outside laundry - DONE

*Remove Ducted Heating Unit from planned equipment cupboard - DONE

*Build Shelves\Cupboards\Sink\Plumbing in equipment cupboards. - DONE

*Install Chiller on top of roof \ outside - DONE

*Install RO\DI, Auto Top Off activated by 12VDC Solenoid connected to mains water - DONE

*Install & Configure Generator to automatically detect power failure and auto start. - DONE

*Setup 6ft x 2ft x 2ft as a temporary (approx 6 months) display for current 5ft x 2ft x 2ft live stock. - DONE

*Break down 5ft x 2ft x 2ft display to make way for new 8ft setup. - DONE

*Setup 3ft Frag Tank in cupboard connected inline with display. - DONE

*Setup QT Tank in cupboard independent of display. - DONE

PLANNED FUTURE PROJECTS:

*Automate water changes

PLANNED OPERATIONS:

*Water Parameters: Other than the obvious zero Ammonia, Nitrite, Phosphate and Nitrate I will be aiming for Salinity/Specific Gravity - 35ppt/1.026, Temperature - 25-26ºC, Alkalinity - 10dKH, pH - 8.2 and Calcium - 450 mg/L.

LIGHTING PHOTO PERIOD:

MH Pendant 1 - 14:45 - 22:45
MH Pendant 2 - 14:00 - 22:15
MH Pendant 3 - 15:00 - 32:00
MH Pendant 4 - 14:30 - 22:30

Sump Light - 24:00 - 08:00
Frag Tank Light - 01:00 - 09:00

LIVE STOCK:

Some of the Live Stock I have had for a few years, others are intended future purchases.

FISH:

ANGELFISH
2 x Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri)
1 x Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus)
1 x Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

BASSLETS
2 x Blackcap Basslet (Gramma melcara)
2 x Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

BATFISH
2 x Pinnate Batfish (Platax pinnatus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

BLENNIES
2 x Bi-Colour Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
2 x Midas Belnny (Ecsenius midas)
1 x Seaweed Blenny (Parablennius marmoreus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

BUTTERFLY FISH
1 x Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

CARDINALS
2 x Bangaii Cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

CLOWNFISH
1 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) paired w/ - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris var) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
2 x Tomato Clownfish (Amphiprion frenatus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

COWFISH
1 x Longhorn Cowfish (Lactoria cornuta) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

DRAGONETS
2 x Male/Female Pair of Green Mandarinfish (Pterosynchiropus/Synchiropus splendidus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

EELS
1 x Zebra Moray Eel (Gymnomuraena zebra) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

GOBIES
2 x Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
4 x Yellow Clown Goby (Gobiodon citrinus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
2 x Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) - Paired with pistol shrimp

HAWKFISH
2 x Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus)

PSEUDOCHROMIS - DOTTYBACKS
4 x Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani)

TANGS
1 x Blonde Naso Tang (Naso lituratus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) - Hawaiian Species - CURRENTLY STOCKED
1 x Achillies Tang (Acanthurus achilles) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

WRASSE
1 x Harlequin Tusk (Lienardella fasciata)
1 x Six-line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) - CURRENTLY STOCKED
2 x Canary Wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus) - CURRENTLY STOCKED

ZANCLIDAE
1 x Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus - canescens)

IN MY WILDEST DREAMS - WISH LIST

These are either listed here because they are too hard to source, too hard to keep or not compatible with the above listed stock\setup. But they deserve an honorable mention for just being some of my favorite pictures :)

1 x Japanese Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge interruptus)
1 x Clarion Angel (Holacanthus clarionensis)

CORALS - CURRENTLY STOCKED:

Currently I have the following but I am intending to base all future coral choices around potential angel nippers like the one I already have so will be relying on people like yourselves to offer suggested 'low risk' coral choices to attempt.

HARD CORALS
1 x Red Lobed brain coral (Lobophyllia spp)
1 x Orange Tri-Colour Lobed brain coral (Lobophyllia spp)
6 x Dallas Acro
1 x Purple Acro

SOFT CORALS
1 x Finger Leather Corals (Sinularia spp)
1 x Finger Leather Coral (Cladiella sp)
1 x Brown Spiny Sea Rod (Muricea elongata)
1 x Blue Spiny Sea Rod (Muricea elongata)

NON-CORALS
3 x Green Corallimorphs \ Mushroom Polyps (Discosoma sp.)
3 x Red Corallimorphs \ Mushroom Polyps (Discosoma sp.)
3 x Blue Corallimorphs \ Mushroom Polyps (Discosoma sp.)
3 x Blue Patterned Corallimorphs \ Mushroom Polyps (Discosoma sp.)
3 x Purple Patterned Corallimorphs \ Mushroom Polyps (Discosoma sp.)
3 x Orange Ricordea (Ricordea sp)

INVERTERBRATES - CURRENTLY STOCKED:

STAR FISH \ SEA STAR
1 x Large Blue Sea Star (Linckia laevigata) - HAD FOR 3+ YEARS

SHRIMP
20 x Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
2 x Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) - (Mated pair, rare variant of yellow bellies with blue legs)
4 x Red Line Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
2 x Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus sp)
4 x Blood Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

CRABS
1 x Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes spp)

ABALONE
2 x Abalone (Haliotis spp)

SEA CUCUMBERS
1 x Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber (Holothuria hilla, Thymiosycia hilla)

SNAILS - Will be using the rough guide of 1 snail per 25 gal = 15 in display, 7 in sump
6 x Banded Trochus Snail (Trochus sp)
20 x Turbo Snails (Turbo sp)
20 x Zebra Snails (Austrocochlea porcata)
Zounds x Large Stomatella Snails (Stomatella varia)

ANEMONES
1 x Blue Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantea)
1 x Red Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni)
1 x Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
2 x Green Adhesive Pizza Anemone (Cryptodendrum adhaesivum)

CLAMS
1 x Blue Squamosa (Tridacna squamossa)

Please feel free to critique, offer advice, thoughts, concerns etc. Im looking at no expense spared when it comes to hardware etc so if there are other devices that you would suggest please let me know.

Thank-you to everyone for taking the time to read and respond. :thumbsup:
Last edited by r0cksteady on Fri 05 Feb, 2010 10:11 am, edited 53 times in total.
Jason

*A question never asked, is a question never answered.

*Two people attempting something differently, doesn't make one of them wrong

r0cksteady's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft REEF display
r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby Namn8r » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 1:20 pm

That certainly sounds like one impressive setup Jason.

One thing ive noticed is your mix of fish might not be totally compatible.

Your zebra moray & Harlequin will certainly predate on your shrimps and any fish small enough to swallow.

Angels and Clams are usually not a good mix. Your existing ones may be ok but adding more Angels increases the risk of picking up a nipper.

2 x Pink Carnation Coral (Scleronephthya sp.)
1 x Red Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya spp.)
1 x Purple\Liquorice Carnation Coral (Dendronephthya spp.)
2 x Spiny Sea Rod (Muricea elongata)
2 x Obese Sea Pen(Cavernularia obesa)

I know they are all pretty but they are all non- photosynthetic and notoriously hard to keep Id suggest sticking to your morphs, leathers, anemones and try hardy lps like euphyllias or softies like xenia etc. Test out small corals first to see if your fish develop a taste.

Look forward to some more pictures!

Cheers,

Nam
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby r0cksteady » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi Nam,

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

Too be honest, I dont care about the shrimp at all as they never come out to say hello except at night (and they seem to have short life spans of only a few years in captivity) plus ive found that cleaner shrimp are pretty safe. Ive witnessed the harlequin and six line wrasse (both potential predators) be cleaned by the coral banded shrimps multiple times.

The Zebra for me is a calculated risk, they prefer crustaceans and Im sure if I didnt feed him regularly that would cause issues but im willing to try it out. In previously speaking with 'stripestheel' he had one for a long time with many tank mates big and small with no issues.

Yeah the clams im concerned about but not enough to change the focus of my tank. I will be basing all future corals\inverts around angelfish and will allow my current corals\inverts to be the test. If it looks like something is getting nipped I will give it away before its destroyed and then not bother replacing it.
I seriously doubt any future angels could get any worse than my bluering as he has already done the damage and caused the removal\death of at least 20 corals.
He swims towards the clams and is more concerned with finding algae \ pods than he is with the mantle. Only time will tell, maybe I can be someone who helps identify compatible corals etc.

The referred corals ive had for near 12 months and no sign of trouble, even noticeable growth on some, yet though im aware corals that are starving can sometimes take years to die. It was an early hobby decision and one I dont regret but have taken on a bit more of a mature\educated approach for future purchases. Hence me now being strict in weekly 30% water changes, water testing and skimmer cleaning twice a week. It has made a huge difference to my 5ft. I have one Goni that has started to grow onto the rock it was placed onto which is very cool.

Thanks for the suggested corals I will certainly start with those mentioned and take it slowly from there. Ive already got a good mix of corals in the 5ft so Ill quickly know when I get the other angels who's a nipper and who's a model citizen.

RE: Ive
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:14 pm

Certainly looks well thought out mate.

I've never heard of stories about Zebra morays taking fish. Being totally honest I think I never will.

I'll stand by my claim that the zebra is the MOST reef and invert safe moray eel available in marine aquaria.

Cant wait to see this set up!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby mysticmarine » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:22 am

i think just can all the other fish and aim for the JAPANESE PYGMY ANGEL LOL :) but seriously looks like it will be a awesome tank keep us posted
mysticmarine
Centurion Reefer

Postby pebbles » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 3:17 pm

Congratulations on trying to do something a bit different from the typical reef tank. :thumbsup:

The biggest PITA is most likely to be the blue ring and then the imperator. IME once an imperator changes into adult colours it develops a taste for most 'meaty' corals. :o

That said I reckon a large adult is one of the most personable and breathtaking fish around.

BTW how big is your blue ring? I only ask because he's likely to do a lot more damage as he gets bigger. :devil: I rckon adding a 3rd big angel to the mix is a real gamble - you could end up with a FOWLR :roflmao:

Iindividuals may also change their preferences over time. eg your imperator may ignore your goni for a few years and then one morning start eating the entire colony? I've also had angels that selectively pick at different coloured corals etc... eg my flame loves the red scoly, but not the striped ones? Cespitularia, xenia etc is also very tasty.

When placing new corals in the tank make sure you don't put them near an angel's feeding station, as he's more likely to associate this area with food IMO. For the same reason feed your LPS after lights out.

good luck :wavey:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Angie,

Thanks for reading my JNL Ive appreciated all your time & advice with my previous tank.

The blue ring I purchased at about 1.5 inches and I reckon hes about 4.5 inches and I would class him as Sub-Adult. Hes still more blue & white stripes than yellow but its very obvious from a distance now that his stripes are changing and his yellow is starting to really stand out.

In all seriousness, if worse case scenario happens and they go nuts eating 95% of every coral type I place in there, I am more than happy to still work around it and instead try various Anemone's or other things that are more noxious to nippers. If the tank ends up an expensive FOWLR then so be it Im really wanting to try the various extremes and I don't feel this 8ft will be my last tank, I envision one day having two tanks side by side with one SPS heavy and no fish with the other just fish. Im really excited about what I will learn from this setup.

Another idea, though I would rather 'not' do this for many obvious reasons is you could keep selling\buying angels until you find a model citizen but from my experience one 'black sheep' amongst model angels can teach them all bad habits. Let alone the moral\personal dilemmas of such an idea etc.

RE: Your angelfish experiences, when you refer 'angel feeding station' what do you really mean? Because I change the location I feed my fish within the same feed, so that all my corals also have a chance at getting food and the slow feeders arent getting out competed. I do add nori to the tank once a day via a extended clip but I find the stuff gets ripped to shreds and eaten within 2 hours. With the nori I generally keep it up to the highest levels of the display because when my Tiger Cowrie gets a sniff that its near by he turns on turbo mode and will knock the thing down to eat the lot.

Does anyone know if there's any type of suggested starter coral compatibility with angels? Or should I start a thread for others to list corals they have had luck with adult angels previously (even though I know each Angel is different its would help as a rough guide). Id just like to even plan my coral order of experiment\risk.
Last edited by r0cksteady on Fri 03 Oct, 2008 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby dougie » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:00 pm

sweet.
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby Dunny » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:24 pm

Hey mate, big project :o

Looks cool, I'll be watching.
Where do you plan on getting the tank made?

:cheers:
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:43 pm

SECA Marine Life have a new tank builder they recommend who specialises in big \ special tank builds.
In this particular case because of what im after I am looking for quality and customisation as the two most important factors over price. My 5ft for example I got brand new and very cheap from a LFS who made their own tanks but instead of using one piece of glass they used two thin pieces stuck together which I feel is less secure plus they were ultra sloppy with their silicone job.
Last edited by r0cksteady on Mon 07 Dec, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby pebbles » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 4:47 pm

r0cksteady wrote:Hi Angie,

RE: Your angelfish experiences, when you refer 'angel feeding station' what do you really mean? Because I change the location I feed my fish within the same feed, so that all my corals also have a chance at getting food and the slow feeders arent getting out competed.

Most angels are grazers in nature. So when I teach them to eat in quarantine I usually use a feeding stone and rubberband things like macro or mussel on a half shell to the rcok. Once in the DT I continue this. I've found if you try to stick a new coral near their regular feeding area the angel is more likely to sample it. BTW the feeding station is no good if you keep other aggressive feeders in the tank.

Does anyone know if there's any type of suggested starter coral compatibility with angels? Or should I start a thread for others to list corals they have had luck with adult angels previously (even though I know each Angel is different its would help as a rough guide).

Sorry I think it'll be trial and error. A poll would only be useful if you could get many replies for each species.
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:49 am

Can't wait to see this all come together. Very well thought out, can't wait for the pics. You've got some beautiful fish. Can I ask where you sourced up the black cap and royal from in melb? That's all I want to die happy =P
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks mate. I source the majority of my livestock from Seca Marine Life. Ive also purchased my Sohal from Wonderfish Aquarium.

Ive had quite a bit of progress now. Have now purchased the 6ft tank and stand hoping to have it cycling by either next weekend or a few days past that.

My mates were over yesterday and we have cement sheeted, waterproofed and tiled the inside of the cupboard.

Ive done a few spin off threads from my main JNL just to avoid clogging it up with my random questions\thoughts I have along the way.
Last edited by r0cksteady on Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby Freds » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:45 am

Great project r0cksteady.

Lots of planning and thought going into this.

This will be an absolute cracker when done - congratulations Mate!
Freds
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks Freds,

Appreciate it. Im really looking forward too being it up and running. Thankfully I am now feeling like its all on the home stretch and only a few more things left.

Im think im on track to have the setup wet by feb-mar.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

TIME FOR AN UPDATE

Postby r0cksteady » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:59 am

Hi All,

I thought it was time for an update. I have changed my first post to reflect all the new details.

Ok so firstly, I have now setup the temp 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank which is currently cycling (with two and a half boxes of fresh live rock) next to the 5ft. Everything worked out well in the end but a lot of stuff happened along the way too now change my mind on a few things. Rather than waste money on buying equipment for the 6ft (like i was going to) I decided to use a lot of the equipment from my intended 8ft setup.

As such my first issue was using the 10,000 l/h return pump vs the 25mm bulk heads. All I can say is it is lucky I went with the bean animal design as im having to use 2/3 bulk heads as a siphon. This has made me realise that for the 8ft I either need to have 6 holes drilled in the wier ie two sets of the 3 pipes OR get 32mm holes drilled which is probably what I will do. The tank is completely silent all the same but I dont have the extra failsafe option as was the original intention.

Second plan to change was the intended DIY background after speaking with some other reefers they pointed out that theirs the potential for dead pockets of air\water to form potentially causing major issues if they were ever to escape over the years. Plus as they pointed out 'why not just use live rock against the background, you could just use lots of small pieces and even fix them to the glass if required'.
Im not sure what others think of this or if theres a way you could help develop the idea but either way I would like to test them out on the 6ft while its cycling so feel free to throw in your 2 cents worth.

Third plan change was the eel tube, I really thought it would look great having say half an 75mm acrylic pip siliconed against the glass under the DSB for the intended zebra eel to live in but what I noticed was:

*It looked crappy\unnatural
*It raised the DSB by a LOT
*Potential issues with dead pockets \ water flow (if I was doing closed loop it would help)
*Could be a pain cleaning with algae growing against the glass due to house lights even though I intended the pipe to be large enough to fit a magnet glass cleaner down
*Acrylic isnt that easy to bend\shape meaning I would be limited in the bends to set degrees ie 90.
*The eel might not even like the idea

So I would love to hear from anyone else who has noticed personality\habit of their zebra in where it enjoys hanging out in addition to anyone thats added pipe to their display for the eel to stay.

When I first picked up the 6ft I thought 'oh know what the hell have I done, looking at the horizontal wier'. I thought it was quite intrusive and stood out like a sore thumb. All my mates who were with me thought I was a turkey for 'ruining' my tank. I thought 'oh well ill just see how it goes and then make up my mind on the 8ft'. Well what I can tell you is after painting the back glass black and with the combination of the black silicone used its almost completely invisible. And what I mean is that its much more subtle than a vertical wier where you cant actually see the wier at all when looking at the front. What I decided I would also do is get the wier tinted black on the 8ft just to add an extra layer of cover.

The other strange thing is when looking at the tank its actually quite cool just watching the wier have this constant thin waterfall effect going on from the side. Its completely silent and you cannot hear the water falling into the wier at all even with your ear near the water because its such a fine film of water going over the edge that its a smooth stream of water rather than a tumbling waterfall. It didnt take long for my non-fish nerd mates too see Calfo's point about it being a better way to export the nutrients as it only captures a fine film of water which is where the nutrients float too.

One thing I really like is that I had my return plumbing come through the floor of the display towards the back but only allowed it to potrude about 5 inches (which was covered after adding the DSB). What this means is that ive now got strong flow behind all my live rock pushing all detrish upwards rather than the normal 'powerhead' scenario having dead spots that actually put a lot of the food behind your rock to settle. This did mean that I had to plumb two 'one-way flat valves aka poppa valves' underneath the display to stop 'all' the water dumping into the display if the return its switched off but I think it will actually pay off in the end.

At the moment im just using spare lights, power heads, heaters etc as im only cycling the tank and not too concerned about the 'appearance' but next year when I get back from hols in Jan ill proceed to setup most of my intended 8ft equipment onto the 6ft.

I have plumbed one of the siphons directly into the skimmer which is working FANTASTIC not only am I saving power because its one less pump I need to buy but in addition I like the fact that I dont have to chew up any refugium critters by having to go through more than one pump (skimmer > return).

The skimmer is an absolute beast and im really looking forward to seeing how well it does when the rock peaks in its die off.

The guy I purchase my NSW in 3000L batches has been slowly putting his prices up even though fuel prices have been dropping so its inspired me to buy my own NSW collecting setup. Ive now got 2 black (not clear) IBC's that stored iodine on a farm and been well used for grey water the last 12 months, a 6.5 HP petrol fire pump and a dual axel tandem trailer on its way rated for 2 tonne. So this will give me a LOT of breathing space as I can now do regular water changes as much as I like and all its only going to cost me is a tank of fuel plus if I really really needed the money I could probably rent the setup out to others but will avoid this for the time being just to avoid any issues with whole legal side of stuff.

As far as the cupboard goes it has now been say 70% finished. Its tiled, water proofed, has a laundry trough, r/o unit in it, switch box and 40 power points. The only thing left for the cupboard now is a stand made for the 3ft frag tank to go above the laundry trough and some small shelves\cupboard\hooks etc to put my maintenance equipment. Other than that a fresh coat of paint to help seal it when im done.

This has also prompted me to review\change my intention for the SUMP as now I have found I actually dont need any of my equipment under the tank as I can have them all plugged into the equipment cupboard and plumb them straight into the sump through the wall.

My mate who is an airconditioner installer has made me a sheet metal insulated cover \ duct for my chiller and is coming over tonight to help me install it on the roof so over the next few days I should have this also plumbed down into the cupboard ready to go.

Ive also purchased two 240v solenoid which will be hooked up to my r/o unit and cold water tap in the cupboard enabling my auto top off to work automatically eliminating the need for a seperate container to auto top off from. Im going to have two solenoids with two seperate flot valves to give me extra safety at different heights that way if one float valve or solendoid gets stuck 'on' the other one will still be 'off'.

My brother in law the electrician has finished my generator and it is very very impressive. Basically if the power turns off to the tank the generator waits 2 seconds and then automatically switches and then once the mains power comes back on the generator switches back off.

Ive already popped the generators cherry last week when a car his a power pole outside our house and the power was down for 12 hours. I managed to run most of the house for the full 12 hours on one tank of fuel. VERY impressive.

Other than that im now just waiting for xmas to pass so I can purchase the last remaining products required to go. Sorry theres no pics as Im posting this from work but ill make sure I upload a bunch tonight.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

PIC UPDATES

Postby r0cksteady » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 6:59 pm

As stated heres the pics to go along with my above update:

CURRENT 6FT SETUP CYCLING WITH LIVEROCK:

SIDE VIEW OF HORIZONTAL WEIR:

CHILLER AND THE INTENDED BOX CURRENTLY BEING SETUP ON THE ROOF:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... GP2937.jpg[/img]

ONE OF MY TRIAL 'POD HAVEN'S' MADE OUT OF GUTTER GUARD AND CORAL RUBBLE:

MY BEAST OF A SKIMMER - LOVE IT!

THE GENERATOR HOOKED UP TO AUTO KICK IN IF POWER GOES OUT AND TURN OFF WHEN POWER COMES BACK ON:

THE 3300L STORAGE TANK USED TO STORE NSW FOR WATER CHANGES:

CURRENT CUPBOARD SETUP AWAITING A FEW MORE ADDITIONS:

Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby kurt » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 7:28 pm

:o awesome

I have to ask whats with all the figuriens ;)
kurt
Veteran Reefer

Postby dougie » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 7:47 pm

wow. thats some serious gear.
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 8:38 pm

Lol the figurines was when I first found ebay and quickly got addicted to it. When I found out I could still buy the old figurines I had as a kid still in packet I went nuts. Lucky I did because there's bucklies chance of me ever getting them again. I got all the old hemans, TMNT, muppets and lots lots more. All of this was in my 'before marriage' life. LOL. Now im only allowed a 'boys room' in the whole house the rest is hers.

Thankfully she 'allowed' the tank to be in the lounge.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby busterant » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:18 pm

Cool toys dude....

More of a Dino Riders man myself....

:thumbsup:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:48 pm

Lol nice I have a few of those in one of my 'loose' tubs but I was only really interested in mint condition figures in packet. I liked the fact that I could display them as a type of wall paper but ran out of wall space as you can see below :(

[img]"http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/_IGP3389.jpg[/img]

Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby kurt » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 12:01 am

you must be the poster boy for 3m products thats crazy.
kurt
Veteran Reefer

Postby timxr6t » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:34 am

I wish my wife would let me have a room like that.
timxr6t
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blakey88 » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:25 pm

thats [censored]
blakey88
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby saltydog » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:03 pm

r0cksteady wrote:FOR NSW COLLECTION:

2 X 1000L IBC Containers for NSW collection PURCHASED

1 x Water Pump 6.5HP 1000 L /Min Petrol 4 Stroke Cara PURCHASED

1 x Dual Axel Tandem Trailers rated for 2 tonne PURCHASED

:-s I thought you enjoyed the late night trips with the small containers
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby r0cksteady » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 11:28 pm

lol now that the tanks are getting bigger it means the small containers would need to stretch friendships in order to get it all in one trip :)
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby annachie_68 » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:45 am

my wife is reading this with me.......

let's just say, a SERIOUS case of tank envy........
annachie
annachie_68
Curious Reefer

Postby coral1 » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 7:49 pm

so Jason how is it all coming along??
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby r0cksteady » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 2:31 pm

Everything is coming along great thanks for asking. I only got back from holidays today and my tank sitters did a great job. No dramas what so ever and have now come back to a cycled 6ft tank with lots of life. Im very amazed by the amount of hard coral that survived and a few flame scallop hitchhikers who are interesting to watch at night with a red torch.
My brain is a bit moosh at the moment as we just got off a plane but ill try and provide an update with pics etc asap. Thanks for reading.
Jason

r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)