• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

JASON's 4x2x2 - [Winner TOTM Sept 09] - top down shots 07/11

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

JASON's 4x2x2 - [Winner TOTM Sept 09] - top down shots 07/11

Postby jason angel » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi everyone.

Introduction:
I have had a 4ft standard running for around 2 years now, with no sump.
I have had limited success with this system, constant PO4 issues, and limited space for livestock.
It is time for the 4x2x2.

System Objectives: I am aiming to have good coral growth. All of the TOTM/Y tanks truly inspire me, and to achieve coral growth even half that of the owner's tanks would be fantastic!

System Type: SPS dominated, - minimal fish.

System Water Volume: 415 liters

Display System:

Strike up Date: 31.08.08

Display Tank: 4'x2'x2', with corner weir, 25 mm syphon, 50mm durso back-up.

Display Lighting: 2 x 250w MH @ 15,000K AMD (itzmatty) + 3 x 10K 54w T5's, + 1 x actinic 54w T5.

Stand: Custom made, 800mm high, pine stand, stained to mahogany color, 4"X 4" legs.

Hood: hanging light fitting from ceiling, no hood to be used.

Sump: 950mm long x 500mm high x 450mm wide.

Refugium: Macro (calupera)

Refugium Lighting: 20watt energy saver 6500K.

Support systems:

Filtration:[/b
In-tank DSB (80kg's of 2mm coral sand @ 100mm average depth)
Live rock (80kg's)
refugium w/macroalgae
Protein skimmer
200 micron filter sock (cleaned daily ATM)

[b]System Water:
NSW

Display Water circulation: 1 x 5000lph korallia copy, 2 x 12000lph korallia copy

Return Pump: 5000lph Minjiang - MJ-6500

Skimmer: Marine Sources MS-A-200-2-6450 ,gravity fed.

Chiller: Resun CL-650, 1/2 HP w/1000lph weipro feed pump.

Evaporation Top Up: Aquamedic SP3000 auto top up, 60ltr reservoir.

Heating: 2 x aquaone heaters. Total 600watts.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Aquamedic KR1000 Kalkstirrer,, Acryllic Oceans dual chamber recirc Ca reactor.

Alkilinity Addition: Aquamedic KR1000 Kalkstirrer,, Acryllic Oceans dual chamber recirc Ca reactor.

Other Chemical Maintenance: Dolomite run in Ca reactor for raising Mg.
500grams GAC run in 800lpf FBF, changed monthly
10grams Rowaphos, changed monthly

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: <0.05ppm (undetecteable on salifert test kit)
Phosphates:0.15ppm ( detectable on salifert test kit)
Alkalinity:9dKh
Calcium:425ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity:1.025
Magnesium: 1250ppm

Initially the tank had no weir or hole in it. A guy from my LFS came out and drilled a 63mm hole in bottom rear left corner and supplied the fitting aswell.
I order some 10mm glass cut to size and constructed the corner overflow myself.

Note aircon. Tank wont be overheating this year! Unless there's a blackout, in which case i'm buying a genset. :thumbsup:
Last edited by jason angel on Sat 07 Nov, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 59 times in total.
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dougie » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:37 am

sweet! :thumbsup:

what sort of tank will it b? fowlr,mixed or sps?
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby MTV » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 9:34 am

:withyou: Reef?

And I love the seahorse statue next to the tank!
MTV
Centurion Reefer

Re: JASON'S NEW 4x2x2

Postby jft » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:07 am

jason angel wrote:my aim with this tank is to have colorful sps, lps and clams.

:poke:

Off to a great start Jason! Keep the updates coming.
Jack
jft
Veteran Reefer

Postby jason angel » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 7:21 pm

MTV wrote::withyou: Reef?

And I love the seahorse statue next to the tank!

Yeah reef mate, i am going to try and to stay away from lps and just stick with sps, but i already own some Duncan's corals so i will hang on to them as they are growing well and have nice coloration. (See my other tank journal).

I am really inspired by tanks like 'WESTY'S TIME LINE' and many of the TOTM tanks, and to create somthing like anyone of them would be awesome. To me colorful SPS corals are far more important than fish. I'm actually going to stay away from fish mostly. Maybe a Yellow or Sailfin tang or two, just for their algae grazing qualities.

I will post some more pics this weekend when i remove shelf, get my sump and fill! :cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 7:21 pm

:cheers: Cheers MTV, i reckon the seahorse was just made to hide a skimmer or chiller!
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi all, Finshed remodelling my stand. was fairly easy, just wrecked the stained finish i had, but i want to do this tank properly, so it's worth it.

Waiting for custom sump, which i have finally designed. It will be 950Lx500Wx450H, but i'm still working out baffles and macro/dsb sections!
Hopefull this sump will be big enough!
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 7:01 pm

Finally have my sump.
I will be doing some plumbing and a freshwater teast this weekend.
Hopefully all goes well. Any tips would be greatly appreiciated.

Here she is!! Is my DSB/Macro section big enough?? Are my baffles ok??

Sump in position. I may have some tight plumbing in there me thinks.

Eggcrate...Precious eggcrate. Cheers mentone aquarium.

Any ideas or suggestions?? I will post more pics when i do the plumbing and test. Am going with a DIY 50mm Durso, gravity feed skimmer and soon building a DIY calcium reactor, to be plumbed off the main return pump with some 1/4 inch line and a flow control valve.
:cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 9:23 pm

UPGRADES!!!

Just bought a new skimmer. If i'm going to do this it's going to be done properly!

Came on time, as promised...Cheers Guppy's!
Well Packaged

After assembly, All parts went together really well, this is a quality unit.

Do you think it's big enough for my 4x2x2?? :roflmao:
Dwarfs the PS10FJ i was going to use, really glad i made the decision to upgrade before filling. This skimmer will be gravity fed before the sump.
:thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kurt » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:35 pm

Nice looking skimmer jason what size (litre) is it rated for?
kurt
Veteran Reefer

Postby jason angel » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 8:23 pm

kurt wrote:Nice looking skimmer jason what size (litre) is it rated for?

2500lph..... Should do the job me thinks :devil:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pazz » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 9:03 am

hi jason maybe just my opinion but i would turn the sump around so you have the bubble trap at the other end , and are you goin to have any troubles with the sump overflowing as those baffles are very high , nice skimmer by the way ...
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby jason angel » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 9:35 pm

pazz wrote:hi jason maybe just my opinion but i would turn the sump around so you have the bubble trap at the other end , and are you goin to have any troubles with the sump overflowing as those baffles are very high , nice skimmer by the way ...

Yeah i'm going to do a freshwater test as soon as i finish the plumbing.... the baffles can easily be altered, the idea was to fill the sump up to the top of the baffles, then pump from section on the right, and hopefully the cycle starts before the waterline in the right section doesn't get too low.
I think it might be right as the sump is 500mm wide, but you never know... cheers for the help anyway mate, much appreciated as i need all the help i can get at the moment, i've never run a tank with a sump before, or a stand-alone skimmer! :cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 7:17 pm

Only freshwater tested new setup yesterday, managed to empty about 50ltrs of freshwater on the floor in the lounge.
I didn't drill a hole in the return line from the sump just at the display tank waterline.
While testing a power out on the return pump, the return line acted as a syphon... gee i didn't even think off that! Oh well, you don't learn if you don't mistakes. Used all the towels we own drying it up, the missus wasn't happy! Towels are drying everywhere now.
Oh well good news though, My sump design worked well, and can't wait to fill it with NSW.
Got all the plumbing fitting and pipes for my skimmer, and it will be gravity fed before the sump, with overflow and valve to limit flow to skimmer. :thumbsup:
Last edited by jason angel on Mon 25 Aug, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 7:42 pm

:roflmao: Sounds very familiar.

Looking forward to seeing your system up and running.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bluedoris2008 » Sat 30 Aug, 2008 1:50 pm

How's it all going?!! :cheers:
bluedoris2008
Lurking Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sat 30 Aug, 2008 11:42 pm

Getting closer peeps,
50mm Durso and weir cover in place.
Plumbing from underside of bulkhead to sump done. Was tight, but have gravity fed the skimmer directly from the maintank, with overflow if the line to the skimmer won't handle the flow rate.: :clap:
Skimmer in place and plumbed, mechanical filtration in sump complete.: :clap:
Here's some pics of how i plumbed the skimmer inlet and outlet.

INLET
Note the replacement inlet connector from bunnings, 25mm screw-on barb fitting(19mm). This part (POPE brand, $2 from bunnings) screws directly to the skimmer, RHS.
Supplied 'Hose connector' LHS.

OUTLET
50 mm flexible rubber coupling with hose clamps, straight over outlet pipe.

TOP VIEW

Ready for the N/ASW. Haven't decided yet!
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby big dal » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:14 am

Lookin good Jason, love the skimmer mate. I have the same size tank and im running a MS skimmer as well so i'll be watching this build for sure :thumbsup: .

The only thing that worries me is the stand at the front has no support under the middle, IMO i would put something there. There will be alot of NSW on the carpet if it lets go :o .
You learn from your mistakes.
big dal
Centurion Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:24 am

big dal wrote:
The only thing that worries me is the stand at the front has no support under the middle, IMO i would put something there. There will be alot of NSW on the carpet if it lets go :o .

Yeah i have been thinking of that of late... i freshwater tested and it was ok, but with the extra weight of sand and rock i might just head to bunnings before i fill me thinks.... only prob will be i won't be able to slide sump in or out, but that doesn't matter. For the sake of $10 worth of timber i reckon you are onto something! :thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 9:06 pm

Finally.... We have water folks! Tank was filled with 50/50 ASW/NSW as i couldn't obtain enough NSW to fill the system.
It was quite a hard day for me as i filled the whole system using 20ltr drums, as i am yet to buy an IBC.
My local LFS doesn't deliver or have NSW, and the one around 20mins away wanted $260 to fill it.... and couldn't do it on the weekends!
So 20 ltr drums it was.

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3
Took a while for the sediment to settle.

Had a slight drip from this valve/gravity feed to skimmer.
Also the flow rate of water to the skimmer wasn't sufficient, at around 400lph from gravity feed through the 19mm vinyl, so i went for a 1500lph pump instead, fed from the sump.
I would've liked the skimmer being gravity fed, taking the majority of the flow from the main tank, cleaning the water before entering the mechanical filter in the sump, but you can't win them all. Maybe down the track i will look at setting that up.
Anyway, have changed the skimmer feed from this;
To this;

Skimmer in full flight (MS-A-200-2-6450)

Close up of the feed to the twin hailea pumps.... note the vortex!

- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 7:09 pm

Purchased some fresh live rock yesterday, only 5 kgs, but should be enough to get things started.

I have also been in the roof putting in some timbers to hang my 15kg light fitting from.

Woke yesterday to a dreadful sound of a pump sucking in air and water.
I overflowed my collection cup and managed to empty about 30 ltrs of ASW on the floor...... again.
Have since worked out that because i extended the outlet pipe from my skimmer from 500mm to 1500mm (to reach other side of sump), the outlet pipe was developing backpressure in it, due to air that could not escape.
I originally had a 50mm PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow, and pipe extending into the the sump below the waterline. This worked for a small length of outlet pipe, but with the extra length air began to become trapped in the outlet pipe.
The solution was simple, change the 90 elbow to a tee-piece, with one entry to the tee upways, to allow for air to escape the outlet pipe.

The modified outlet pipe.

Bought a refugium light today from bunnings, with a 20w, 5000K compact fluro globe.
The Light fitting Cost me $12, and the globe $10.
Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:08 pm

Aquascaping is done and tank has been cycling for 21 days now. Macro is growing well in the sump, and skimmer is skimming thick skimmate.

FTS - 24.09.08
Note my fake clam... T.Fakius Maximus.
I had to have something in there while it cycled!
LHS-

RHS-

I didn't have time to really plan the aquascaping, but i have read many tank journals and i really like the aquascaping with the nice open section in the middle.
Leaving this open section also allows for good water movement and room to grow or move things around a little, unlike my first tank that has so much rock in it that water flow is restricted in areas and the tank is full and no more livestock can be added without careful planning.
I originally wanted to go for the 'bonsai' style aquascaping, but i already own too many corals for that, so i designed the rockwork to maximise useful ledges to attach colonies of SPS corals and clams.
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PaulG » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:16 am

jason angel wrote:OUTLET
50 mm flexible rubber coupling with hose clamps, straight over outlet pipe.

Jason,

Thats coming along nicely.

The rubber coupling that you are using, is it nitrile rubber? if so you will want to keep a close eye on nitrates over time as there have been a number of cases of rubber fittings being used & over time they breakdown adding nitrates to the water.

HTH
PaulG
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks Paul, i will keep an eye on the rubber coupling and nitrate levels, if it does start deteriorating i will change it to solid PVC with a heap of glue to seal the gap.
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 4:48 pm

Mate

Beefy looking setup you have got there, well done.

you need an extra vertical support for under the front - not horizontal. If the back is the same you need a support there too, vertical.

Also, raise the hieght of your durso to eliminate waterfall sounds. If the eggcrate is in the way, id suggest builing a fence around your weir instead of covering it over. Cheers
Last edited by old_mr2 on Thu 25 Sep, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 7:33 pm

old_mr2 wrote:Mate

you need an extra vertical support for under the front - not horizontal. If the back is the same you need a support there too, vertical.

Also, raise the hieght of your durso to eliminate waterfall sounds. If the eggcrate is in the way, id suggest builing a fence around your weir instead of covering it over. Cheers

The tank has 4"x4" legs, and is solid as a rock.
Yeah i might have a play with the durso height (it isn't glued together yet) and weir cover, but as for the noise it doesn't concern me, i can't hear much over the skimmer.... those hailea pumps are quite noisy.... Thanks for the suggestion and looking though old mr. :thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaxxeell » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 11:01 pm

any updates mate? love to see some new pics
Keep your friends close, and you anemones even closer :D
aaxxeell
Centurion Reefer

Postby jason angel » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 11:29 pm

still cycling...no more pics yet axell, I will be doing a large water change in the morning, and leave for another two weeks, then it's go time.
The timing is good as i am heading to cairns in the morning for a diving trip, so i won't be looking at my tank just wanting to do the change over....
I feel like a kid looking at the christmas tree just wanting to rip open the presents underneath, :roflmao:, as i am upgrading from a 4'x14"x18" to a 4'x2'x2' and have a fully stocked tank just begging for an upgrade.
Either way i am loving having a decent sized tank now, aquascaped, ready for my corals......
Macro is going crazy in the refugium and i have added a snail to take care of the diatom outbreak in there....
I will be ordering a PSI filter when i get back, as i was unaware my system would use 3-4 litres per day of RO, without the lights yet, and RO at my LFS is $5 for 20ltrs.... the filter will pay for itself fairly quickly.
Anyway, i will post the new pics soon, and hopefully i will bring myself back a souvenier from Cairns Aquarium, that is, if they sell over-the-counter ;)

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:57 pm

THE TANK HAS LIVESTOCK!!

OK, the tank cycled from the 03.09.08 - 19.10.08
I left it for so long as i wanted the bio filter top be really ready for the massive bio load it was about to recieve as i was going to be doing the whole tank change over in a day, as i am using the same lights from my old tank.

Before: 9am on 19. 10.08
Actinics only

After: 4pm on 19.10.08
Actinics only

MH (20,000K) + Actinics

I did have to change my aquascaping a little, as i had too much good LR that i wanted to keep from my existing setup, but the aquascaping is still quite similar to my original plan.
I did have a gap in the center of the two main reef sections on the left and right, where you could see clean through to the painted wall behind, i did want to keep this effect, as i felt it gave a really open feel to the aquascaping, but not to be. Instead i have a sheet of LR that i managed to find at a good LFS that is an inch thick, but 500mm x 500mm approx.
This sheet of LR is againt the back glass, giving a good depth to the tank, and a 'sheer reef wall' look at the back of the tank. This IMO was a good compromise as it still gives the 4x2x2 a deeper look than it actually is.

Live Rock (LR)
This is the quality of the live rock that the tank was cycled and aquascaped with. approx 30kg of old LR was used to create the reef, then 30kg's of this premium stuff went in on top.

The tank as it looks today
LHS

Center

RHS

I think the tank came together quite well, but i was just amazed at the amount of corals i owned. All these were previously squeezed into a 4'x18"x14", with no sump!

Some close ups.
The area with the least water flow, bottom front LHS.
Red and green discosoma's. Green rhodactus. A single green rhicordia. 2 x yellow trachyphillia.

Top LHS, high water flow and intense lighting.
Dallas frags, blue acropora. Purple w/green polyp plating acropora's

A top down photo is not possible without turning the pumps off. This is the view of the surface aggitation when all pumps are running.
This pic gives a good indication of the amount of water flow required to succesfully maintain SPS corals.

Thanks for looking everyone, this tank has been a long time coming, but still has a long way to grow!

- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaxxeell » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:12 pm

Lookin great mate!
what fish are u gonna stock it with?
Keep your friends close, and you anemones even closer :D
aaxxeell
Centurion Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)