• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Shutting it down but Chromis Spawn!! - Jase & Katey's Tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Shutting it down but Chromis Spawn!! - Jase & Katey's Tank

Postby Jase » Sat 10 May, 2008 7:12 pm

Hey all,

This is the start of my journey with my dream marine tank. Most of you would've seen my other tank journal's - my 75L Nano & 30L work desk Nano. Well the time has come to begin my dream reef tank.

Most of you will also know that the last few months I have been on the look out for a 5ft Reef Octopus tank. However I only recently found out that they have been discontinued. As this was the case I had to think if I should purchase the 4ft Reef Octopus tank or a custom made tank replicating the clean, sleek look of the reef octopus ones.

As Kate and I frequent Kims Aquarium on most weekends we were always getting updates on the Reef Octopus tanks from Kevin however whenever we would go we would see this beautiful custom built Starphire tank in the corner of the display room. Most people who go to Kim's would've seen this tank.

Once we realised that the 5ft Reef Octopus tanks were now discontinued this tank caught my eye. Well really it caught Kate's eye more than mine, I was pretty set on getting the 4ft Reef Octopus he has sitting there. But she really wanted the bigger tank! Hey whose gonna argue with that!?

The story behind the tank turns out that Kevin custom built it for his own home. As he doesnt have the time to set it up anymore so he decided to sell it. It is totally made of Starphire glass. Even the bottom panel and Weir are Starphire!

The stand was made to match the furniture in his own home hence the cream colour. It is made of high grade polyurathaine and is extreamly glossy. The bottom of the stand has a brushed aluminium trim. As you can see in the below photo.

As my intention was to have whatever tank we bought running along the chaise of our lounge and as this is Starphire on all panels I thought this would be perfect! So this tank will be visible from 3 sides. Below is a pic of where we plan the tank will be sitting. If you look closly you will notice blu-tac on the wall marking the height of the stand, tank and hood.

The stand is getting drilled next week for the sump and chiller ventilation. I am hoping that if thats all completed by the end of next weekend that I will get my mates and I to pick it up then.

I plan on this tank housing mainly SPS corals and a couple LPS. The tank will be running the Zeovit system. As for the exact equipment list I have not settled on anything 100% just yet. This is a good thing as I will be purchasing the rest of the equipment throughout the next couple of months. I will also be using some of the equipment I already have in my nanos.

So far I am thinking of the following equipment...

For lighting
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... d_264.html
Now I know the lighting may be a bit under done for this tank (cause its so deep) but I plan on having minimal liverock in this system. Also due to running Zeovit the water should be very clear and this should help the 250's penitrate deeper into the water. I plan on having the live rock cascading down from the weir and then 2 tall piles of live rock directly under the 2 metal halides with SPS growing off these. I also plan on having a crap load of cool air running over this unit!

Chiller
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... d_270.html
Might be overkill but meh! I want to have good control over the temperature. And I really like the fact that the Teco Chillers are very narrow. More room in stand for other things.

Protein Skimmer
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... d_211.html
Really not sure on this skimmer just yet.

Thats about it for now I guess. Hopefully the tank will be here this time next weekend ;)

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jase
Last edited by Jase on Sat 24 Apr, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby LuckyPhil » Sat 10 May, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi Jase,

A very very nice tank you have there!! White too (just like mine).

Told you that something better would come along, after the disappointment of not being able to get the the Bio-Life tank.

I will have to watch this tank journal closely me thinks.

:clap:

Cheers,
Phil.
LuckyPhil
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Sun 11 May, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks Phil, :) yeah I really think this was the way better option to go with as we couldnt run the reef octopus tank down the chaise cause theres a massive gap in the hood of those systems. This hood is the same material all the way around. So we have more positioning options with this one.

I just cant wait to have it here!! This week is going to go so slow...
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Fri 16 May, 2008 11:21 pm

One sleep to go and our tank is home!!
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Sat 24 May, 2008 10:30 am

Hi all,

Ok starting to get an equipment list together now. Spent last night really nutting it out. But still unsure of the lighting. Leaning towards the T5s now as oppossed to the 250W metal halide purely because I dont like the fact that it will be in a 15cm high closed hood and about 5cm off the water surface! Anyway heres the list...

4 x 4ft 54W Reef Octopus LiteMaster 2000 T5 Units
Hailea HC-500A Chiller - Rated for 1200L
Jager Heater 300w
Reef Octopus DNW 150-6530 Protein Skimmer - Rated for 800L
Eden 159 Return Pump - 5000L/H
1 x Ecotech Vortech MP40w
ZeoMark2 Zeovit Reactor
Eheim Universal Pump 1046 (for zeo reactor) - 300L/H
Zeovit Starter Pack
Extra bag of Zeovit

For the T5 tubes I'm thinking of the following:
2 x Korallen-Zucht Coral Light Gen 1 10k
4 x Korallen-Zucht Coral Light Gen 2 14k
2 x Korallen-Zucht Coral Light Fiji Purple

I am planning on arranging these globes in the following order bearing in mind that you will be able to view this tank from 3 sides:
Fiji Purple
Light Gen 2 14K
Light Gen 2 14k
Light Gen 1 10K
Light Gen 1 10K
Light Gen 2 14K
Light Gen 2 14K
Fiji Purple

Whats everyones thoughts on this? Please feel free to criticise!

:thumbsup:

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Sun 25 May, 2008 11:10 pm

Just some pics I took today. We've pretty much decided on the position of the tank now. Pushed the lounge over closer to the window and now the tank seems as if its in the position it was made to be in.

You can see the hood of the tank is sitting on the stand. One of the doors for the hood is missing as this is being used to do a colour match of the polyurethane for the back of the stand. Also waiting on the brushed aluminum footing to go all around the stand. Should be ready soon. You really can notice how glossy the stand is with the reflection on the wall.

You can see the missing section of brushed aluminum in this pic. Also you can see how the stand matches the length of the chaise.

Gives you an idea of the position of the tank and where our soon to be broken down nano is sitting.

Pic of the sump

Pic of the tank, how awesome is my durso?! :nut: will be cutting it down soon. Once the stand is drilled the tank will finally be in its final position.

ahh I frustrate myself though because I still cant decide what lighting to get! Anyway thats all for now.

Cheers,

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby davez104 » Mon 26 May, 2008 8:04 am

I would not change the durso, just keep filling with NSW until you reach the height of the durso :konk: Make sure you have snorkel and flippers handy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But seriously, nice looking setup, I bet your looking forward to getting it running.

Dave.
davez104
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Paraboy01 » Mon 26 May, 2008 9:14 pm

Jase looks cool love the stand by the looks of the gleam of stand might not need reflecters just shine of stand hehe
Paraboy01
Curious Reefer

Postby dougie » Mon 26 May, 2008 9:28 pm

dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Tue 27 May, 2008 6:16 pm

yeah our snorkels and flippers are ready for it! haha

cheers for the comments guys but yes I cant wait to fill it up!

Just found out about the second generation Ecotech Vortech MP40W's being avaiable now so I will be holding out for one of these! Hopefully they will turn up on ebay soon!
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 27 May, 2008 6:33 pm

Just read through your TJ.

That's going to be one nice setup! :clap:

One thing that you might like to think about is an emergency overflow in your weir. I know my current setup doesn't have one and we have had a few floods!! :o

My new tank will definitely have one!

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Jase » Sat 31 May, 2008 5:02 pm

For sure Rod, as discussed in our PMs will be having the backup durso for sure. 1. Because its silent and 2. because we dont want to have a flood :o

Today I set the return plumbing up in the hood. I'll post some shots of this soon.

Changed my mind again on the equipment list. Decided to get some pretty decent kit now rather than stuff that prob will last less than 2 years.

At the moment its looking like I'll be getting 2 x DE Lighting 4x54watts T5's I really like their sleek look and the fact that they will both fit into my hood with room to spare is a big reason for getting these. Been thinking of a design to have the front 4 slide onto the top of the back 4 for even more access to the tank, but thats a while away.

Also changed my mind back to the Teco Chiller however the TR-15 rather than the 20. Seeing as I wont be using metal halides I dont think I would need a chiller rated for a 2000L tank on a 500L tank. Again the small size of this chiller is a big reason as to why I prefer it to the Hailea. So if I do end up running this chiller in the stand with good ventilation then it wont take up as much room. At the moment though its looking like it will be out of the stand next to the tank on the back wall side.

Also a little Pee'd that it appears Guppy's not selling the cheap priced Octopus skimmers he had. So I've decided to go all out here which I know is going to be great for the tank because I really want strong, efficient skimming. So im getting the DNWS-200-6540 Skimmer. Rated for 1500L. I like this skimmer cause it will fit easily in my stand with about 5-10cm to spare.

I think thats it for now. Not getting any criticism so I guess I must be on the right track with the equipment list. Even though I keep tweaking it.

Oh and if anyone knows where I can get black perspex sheeting or black acrylic that would be great! If anyone has some laying around PM me please! I want it to cover my weir!

Cheers all, :thumbsup:

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 7:43 pm

Hey all,

A lot has happened since the last update. I have begun receiving some equipment over the last couple of weeks. BUT the big update is that the tank is finally on the stand! :clap:

Had the mates over for a BBQ on saturday night. We moved it onto the stand before we hit the beers (good idea seeing as they were Extra Dry Platinums!)

Anyway equipment list arrived so far...

Reef Octopus DNWS-200-6540 Protein Skimmer
Eden 159 Return Pump
Teco TR-20 Chiller
Zeovit Starter Pack

Still waiting for 2x4ft DE Lightings 54W T5 Units
Zeovit Reactor
Black cover for Weir

Anyway on to the shots.

Was so excited to open this box when I picked it up from Kims!

Not sure why I took these shots but yeah...

Beautiful...

Assembled in Stand. The holes in the stand have since been modified to allow the return pipe to be plumbed into the sump.

Vinegar Bath

The Zeovit. The ZeoBac was is the fridge.

The tank has already received "wows" from people when they walk in the door and its empty! Its just so tall and eye level with the viewer. I really cant wait to get it wet. The aluminum footing is on its way.

Shot from the balcony. The back of the stand is on its way and will be attached shortly.

The lights should be here in about 2 weeks along with the Zeovit Reactor.

Cheers,

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 7:56 pm

Looking good Jase!!

Hey, how tall is your stand?

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Jase » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 8:03 pm

Hey Rod cheers mate. The stand is 84cm high
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:17 pm

Fresh Water Test day.

Its been a busy weekend working on the tank. Today I finally got it wet. Fresh water wet though. A couple days ago I also put black contact paper on the back of the tank to hide all the cords which will be running down from the hood of the tank. Also plumbed and siliconed the durso in place.

Today I bought the rest of the plumbing so I could hook up the return pump.

Anyway here are some shots we took of the tank filling up. I filled the sump up with water and let the Eden pump the water up into the tank.

Almost there...

Filled and running.

Also did a power out test to ensure the sump wouldn't overflow. Also checked all plumbing and great news! No Leaks!

Pic of the Sump. Notice the bubbles coming out of the durso! This would be big trouble if it was salt water! Im gonna raise the height of the standpipe so there is less of a water fall effect over the weir. Also need to plumb the silent syphon in which will help in reducing noise and bubbles! How small is the return pump. For 5000L/h its pretty cool! Next to it is the Zeovit Reactor thanks to Michael at Reefing Life.

And just for laughs. I hooked up the RO skimmer to my 75L nano. Yeah thats right... That little brown thing is the skimmer I have been using on this tank. The tank doesn't know what hit it! The waste pipe on the RO skimmer is wider than the Jebo :nut:

I'll let it run on the nano until the lights from Michael arrive. Should be maybe this week or next!

Cheers all,

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:27 pm

Wow, Outstanding looking tank!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm

Hey Jase,

Just keep an eye on your Eden pump. I have had mine just stop twice now.

I know we need to maintain these things on a regular basis, but it is less than 12 months old. I've gone back to the good old faithful Eheim. It ran for 6 years without missing a beat and very minimal maintenance.

Looking good BTW.

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Jase » Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:20 pm

Ahh thanks Rod, will keep my eye on it. I'm surprised you say that because I haven't heard many bad things about them. Will see how it goes ay.

Cant wait for the lights to arrive so I can start the cycle.
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 30 Jun, 2008 3:28 pm

Looking good guys! :thumbsup:

Until you get the siphon up and running, if you trim that durso pipe so that it sits just under the sump water level it should help in both its operation (reduces back pressure and will run more smoothly) and with the bubble issue too.
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dougie » Mon 30 Jun, 2008 6:43 pm

its coming along well, cant wait to c it full of fish and coral!!
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:22 pm

Awesome setup. how tall is the tank?

Great to see another T5 user. have to let us know how the DE lights are.

Can i just make 1 suggestion regarding your bulb choice. I really think you going to want some Blue in there. See if michael can gets you some ATI blue plus bulbs. or even Aquaz blue pros are good. the Fiji purples are really quite purple so i reckon youll only need 1 bulb in the mix. i suggest you order a couple of blues then play around with the mix

just my opinion

Aaron
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hey Aaron, thanks mate. Yeah the tank is pretty deep 76cm (30 inches). So this is going to be a real test of how good the T5's will be in a tank 2.5 foot deep.

BUT

Having said that I will have approx 5cm - 8cm of sand which will reduce the depth of the tank. Also due to me purchasing a Vortech I will be having the water level a little lower than usual (to allow for waves). That means the T5's will have approx 2 feet of water to penetrate through.

The T5's should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion on colour combos. But yeah I cant remember exactly but I think the units come with a mix of blue and white ATI tubes as standard. I have heard some great things about the Blue Plus blubs on the zeovit.com forums. So yeah I will def take it into consideration.

More feedback is welcome! :thumbsup:

Cheers guys,

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby johnstonesa » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 10:34 pm

What a great looking setup.... Look forward to seeing the final result!!
johnstonesa
Lurking Reefer

Postby Jase » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:45 am

Lights arrived today as promised by Michael from Reefing Life! First of all I would like to thank him for his great customer service! I highly recommend him as he really did give me a great deal on the Zeovit, Lights and Globes.

Just saw Dark Knight tonight cause Kate really loves Batman. Through the whole movie I was thinking, "T5's, T5's, T5's". I know very sad. Not a fan of Batman and it was the first Batman movie I have watched all the way through and I have to say that it was fantastic! Heath is awesome in it! Anyhoo.

Below are some shots of me setting the units up.

Just sat the reflectors on the unit with clips in place

Closer shot of the first unit about to put the globes in

The globes. 3 different types - 2 x KZ Fiji Purples, 4 x ATI Aquablue Spezials, 4 x ATI Blue Plus'

First unit set up

All globes in place in both units

Ready to fire them up!

And God said, "Let there be light!"

From top to bottom.
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Spezial
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Spezial
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple

Close up of them on

Tank shot. Return pump is off in these pics. Notice the blue/purple colour on the "white" wall.

Tank length shot

Top of the lights

So there you have it. Very impressed with the lights so far. What do you all think about the colour? Too blue? Who thinks I should switch 2 of the Blue Plus' with 2 Aquablue Spezial's to make it more white and higher PAR?

Next steps...

My cuz is bringing the black perspex around this week to cover the weir (to hide the plumbing). So tomorrow I will be draining the tank of the fresh water that has been in there for 2 weeks now I think. Then I'll silicon the perspex to the weir and let it dry for a couple days. Order the NSW delivery and then the liverock and sand will go in!

Once again thanks heaps Michael for all your help buddy!

Thats it for now! :pirate:

Cheers,

Jase
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 1:33 am

Great lighting. I would leave the tubes as they are for now and as the tank matures, increase the PAR. Well thats my plan anyways, but with lumen brights. I hope its fruitful!
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby baphomet » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:31 am

Jase,
I like the lighting the way it is but it will be interesting to see it with stock in there.
Beautiful setup :clap:

:cheers:
Paul.
P.T.B.A
baphomet
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jase » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 3:54 pm

Cheers guys :cheers:

Yeah I think i'll leave them how they are for now and decide how they look once the corals are in.

The problem I have is that because you can see through both sides I dont want one side of the tank to look blue or purple and the other side to not match in colour.

So if I only have say 1 FP tube on one side then if you view the tank from the other side the colour wont be uniform. Anyway I'll just have to wait and see. I love that I can change the colour around with the T5's to suit the way I like them.
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 5:29 pm

Great looking tank mate. I just can't help wondering if u will end up adding MH's like your original plan as i am unsure if those fluro's will penetrate your water column deep enough to run an all SPS tank.
Is there anyway u could angle those t5's and get a pair of 250's in the center?? I do like the color of your lights, but i just love that burning white light that only MH provides!! :cheers: Jason
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jase » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey Jason, yeah well funny you say that. As the reason I went with the Teco TC20 chiller in the end was for this very reason. Just incase I do decide to go back to halides. I think I will miss that sparkle that halides produce. But I have been reading that white LEDs can give that sparkle.

I'll have to wait and see though. Will be a good test to see if the T5s can cut it. Oh well if they dont I will just get a hood designed through my cousin (he managed to get the panel for the back of the stand colour matched and gloss matched) so I'm sure his work could do something up for halides if I needed to change to them in the future.

Trust me I have changed my mind a million times with what lighting to get but had to get the T5's due to having such a low profile hood.
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)