• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

T5 Q&A and Discussion thread - Favourite Bulb Combo's

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

T5 Q&A and Discussion thread - Favourite Bulb Combo's

Postby snaza » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to start a thread where people can discuss and ask/answer questions related to T5 lighting. The main reason im starting this thread is ive had about 10 members PM me asking how my T5s are going, what corals can i keep and what lamps i run. Im happy to reply but there seems to be more and more people trying T5s so though a tread might be a good idea :clap:

There is a similar thread on RC which keeps Grim Reefer very busy so I thought it might be helpful for some people who might be new to T5`s, or long time users who just wanted others findings,observations, ect.

Michael posted a nice thread recently relating to T5 PAR. very interesting read thanks.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=189473

Im not wanting to start a T5 vs MH thread here but please post your T5 findings/observation or simply ask a Question.

While the majority of reefers use MH there are still some amazing tanks on this forum who are just T5 users. maybe those guys can post some info or help get this thread started. :wavey:

Im by no means a T5 expert but have been running them for 2 years now and am very happy with the results.

I believe the key to T5 sucess with a Reef is Individual reflectors, good ballasts and good lamps. Ive tried the cheap T5 units and reckon they put out only half the light. Probably fine for shallow tanks though.

My tank is 4x2x2 and i now run 7 x 54w lamps. Ive had good success with ALL corals and even have some Acros in the bottom half of the tank.

My lamp order is;
Front

Aquaz Blue Pro
Aquaz Ocean Pro
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua blue Special
Aquaz Blue Pro

Back

Please try and keep this going as im keen to find out how other T5 users are going. :bow:

:cheers:

thanks

Aaron

p.s sorry for the long post
Last edited by snaza on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:01 am, edited 9 times in total.
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 6:38 pm

Ok i`ll start,

Here is some cool PAR readings of T5 lamps from Grim of RC

ATI

Sun Pro 357
Aquablue 336
Blue Plus 311
Actinic 137

D&D/Giesemann

Midday 325
Aquablue 324
Actinic Plus 264
Pure Actinic 157

UVL

Aqua sun 345
Actinic White 293
Super Actinic 210

AquaZ

Sun Pro 285
Ocean Pro 323
Blue Pro 266

Helios

Daylight 309
Super Blue 225

Current Sun Paq

Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252

GE Daylight 340
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby anthony mazzeri » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 6:59 pm

I'd like to see if there's a basic yardstick people can use as a rule of thumb to begin with, as per the 'watts per gallons' on FW planted tanks. Say start with 2' depths:

So your 2' high tank has success with a total of 378 watts over 110g = 3.6wpg.

I tried to replicate the successful German T5 tanks at approx 4-6wpg with my new 2' high tank, which is narrower and less deep front to back than yours, with 6 x 39w making a total of 234w over approx 40g = 5.85wpg.

I just get the gut feeling that all 6 tubes is just way too much and I've been keeping it to just 4 tubes total so far at 156w = 3.9wpg, which is much closer to your setup.
anthony mazzeri
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby anthony mazzeri » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 7:04 pm

Also, how high above the water surface are the actual T5 tubes? Mine are 8cm (3 inches). Probably too low and I need to raise them up.
anthony mazzeri
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey anthony,

my tubes are about 8cm above the water too. I never like to use the WPG or those other sorta calculations as it always differs for everyone.

I guess it all depends on what you want to keep. I had only 4 bulbs for the first year and everthing (except acros) did fine. Had to keep them right up the top. I guess if you want a Full blown SPS tank then 6 might be the go. otherwise you may be right just using 4.

Aaron
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby anthony mazzeri » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 8:01 pm

It's not exact or scientific and shouldn't be held as gospel, but watts per gallon can be a helpful starting point for beginners and actually works for fluoros because unlike MHs, you can only have a set fixed watts per tube per length of tank.

WPG doesn't work with MHs as a standard because you can put any combination of 150W to 400W MHs on any width tank, whereas with T5s a 2' wide tank can only have a 24W full-width tube, 3' a 39W and a 4' 54W, and the PAR I believe is similar for all so it's a way to have a standard and scalable rule of thumb people can use as a starting point (scalable as in 4 x 39W on my 3x1.2x2 40g @ 3.9wpg would be the equivalent amount of light hitting the tank as 8 x 54W on your 4x2x2 110g @ 3.9wpg).
anthony mazzeri
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah your right WPG are a good starting point. My tank has no coral in the in the front or back 10cm so the light only really needs to cover about 1.5ft. thats why i meant its a rough guide line and different for everyone.

i like your tank journal. very cool. how are the DE lights going?

Aaron
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby K.Sea » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 1:22 pm

Cool thread Snaza :thumbsup:
I only run t5's, cheapos too, but as you said this doesnt seem to matter so much with a shallower tank. I'm upgrading to either 2x DE lighting units or a single ati pendant in July, still tossing up between which one. Currently i run 2 Aqualina quad units and a dual hagen glo unit for a total of 10 bulbs, the current combo is from front to back is
aqualina ocean blue (450nm)
aqualina 10k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
aquaz Blue pro (actinic)
aquaz Ocean blue 20k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
So far im pretty happy with the t5's but am looing forward to getting a unit with better ballasts and reflectors (only 2 out of my 10 bulbs are under individual reflectors) Will be interesting to see how other users find theres, what corals they can keep etc... Cheers Casey.
K.Sea
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby snaza » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 4:01 pm

K.Sea wrote:Cool thread Snaza :thumbsup:
I only run t5's, cheapos too, but as you said this doesnt seem to matter so much with a shallower tank. I'm upgrading to either 2x DE lighting units or a single ati pendant in July, still tossing up between which one. Currently i run 2 Aqualina quad units and a dual hagen glo unit for a total of 10 bulbs, the current combo is from front to back is
aqualina ocean blue (450nm)
aqualina 10k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
aquaz Blue pro (actinic)
aquaz Ocean blue 20k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
aqualina ocean blue
aqualina 10k
So far im pretty happy with the t5's but am looing forward to getting a unit with better ballasts and reflectors (only 2 out of my 10 bulbs are under individual reflectors) Will be interesting to see how other users find theres, what corals they can keep etc... Cheers Casey.

Hi casey,

i thought those aqualina units were ok. im sure they are better that some of the ebay units. what size is your tank? 10 bulbs is heaps. are you going to get 8 bulb ATI or 2x 4bulb DE?

how are you finding coral growth/colour. any problems keeping anything?

Aaron
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby K.Sea » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah the aqualina's are heaps better than the ebay ones, actually theres no noticable difference between the hagens and aqualina's ive measured them both with a light intensity meter from the same distances each time and the hagens only have a little over the aqualinas. My tanks only 50cm tall with approx 8cm sandbed, 85% of acro sits less than 25-30cm from the lights, and all bulbs sit directly( 2-3 cm from the water surface). growth and colour has been only ok but this is not to blame on the t5's only my lazy husbandry skills, i dont have a reactor so dose randy's 2 part and have just been really slack with it the last 2 months and let tmy ca sit at about 280 the whole time, the last 3 weeks ive really got the system up to scratch (2 more t5's, 2 more tunzes, proper use of gfo and finally regular water changes and daily dosing, colours heaps better and startingto see a bit better growth, im sure the t5's can grow fantastic acros as long as i can keep everything on track. Snaza what do you reckon of the kz fijipurples? I've been tinking of ordering 2 but they seem pretty costy??
K.Sea
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby snaza » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 7:12 pm

K.Sea wrote:Yeah the aqualina's are heaps better than the ebay ones, actually theres no noticable difference between the hagens and aqualina's ive measured them both with a light intensity meter from the same distances each time and the hagens only have a little over the aqualinas. My tanks only 50cm tall with approx 8cm sandbed, 85% of acro sits less than 25-30cm from the lights, and all bulbs sit directly( 2-3 cm from the water surface). growth and colour has been only ok but this is not to blame on the t5's only my lazy husbandry skills, i dont have a reactor so dose randy's 2 part and have just been really slack with it the last 2 months and let tmy ca sit at about 280 the whole time, the last 3 weeks ive really got the system up to scratch (2 more t5's, 2 more tunzes, proper use of gfo and finally regular water changes and daily dosing, colours heaps better and startingto see a bit better growth, im sure the t5's can grow fantastic acros as long as i can keep everything on track. Snaza what do you reckon of the kz fijipurples? I've been tinking of ordering 2 but they seem pretty costy??

I admit i was pretty lazy looking after my tank but now everything is going well. got a GFO and carbon reactor the other day and been keeping up my Kh and CA with randys 2 part.

I only have 1 fiji purple but i love it. really changes all the colours. id only get 1 as they are pretty purple and 2 might wash out the other colours. I run 1 fiji and 1 Ati blue plus for my dusk/dawn and the colour is really nice.

snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby go_wakeboard » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:53 pm

I would like to see a library of links to T5 only tanks and have it made sticky.
"Let's get to lootin'" Bender B. Rodriguez
go_wakeboard
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:44 pm

I run a T5-only tank (4x2x1) and I wouldn't switch it for anything else. The currently setup is 8x59w (ATI BluePlus and ATI BlueSpecial 50/50 mix).

I get great growth and color in all my hard corals. However, since adding the new light (old one was 8x39w without individual reflectors), my Acans have lost most of its green and yellow, and the mycedium also lost a lot of its green. These two pieces are low light corals and it can be difficult finding a darker spot in a T5 tank due to the even illumination.
Last edited by dejavu on Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby snaza » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:44 pm

go_wakeboard wrote:I would like to see a library of links to T5 only tanks and have it made sticky.

Do you have any good links? ill have a look and post some tomorrow. ive found some amazing ones around somewhere on the net
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:49 pm

dejavu wrote:I run a T5-only tank (4x2x1) and I wouldn't switch it for anything else. The currently setup is 8x59w (ATI BluePlus and ATI BlueSpecial 50/50 mix).

I get great growth and color in all my hard corals. However, since adding the new light (old one was 8x39w without individual reflectors), my Acans have lost most of its green and yellow, and the mycedium also lost a lot of its green. These two pieces are low light corals and it can be difficult finding a darker spot in a T5 tank due to the even illumination.

What fixture do you have now? I remember you were using one of the ebay ones before. your tank is one of the nicest t5 tanks ive seen. :thumbsup:
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:57 pm

snaza wrote:What fixture do you have now? I remember you were using one of the ebay ones before. your tank is one of the nicest t5 tanks ive seen. :thumbsup:

I now have 2 of 4x54w DE Lighting pendents. I made a little wood frame to go around the two units so they hang as one. I really need to work on my wood working skills a bit more, so I won't show anyone photos of that :spit:

DE lighting's 4x54w have two cords per unit and they come with individual reflectors and waterproof endcaps. I am quite happy with the construction.

The old Ebay units are Ok-ish for their price, but in terms of performance and reliability, they are quite poor. However, let us not discuss that, less this thread turns into another boring thread about Ebay lights.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby snaza » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:04 am

dejavu wrote:
snaza wrote:What fixture do you have now? I remember you were using one of the ebay ones before. your tank is one of the nicest t5 tanks ive seen. :thumbsup:

I now have 2 of 4x54w DE Lighting pendents. I made a little wood frame to go around the two units so they hang as one. I really need to work on my wood working skills a bit more, so I won't show anyone photos of that :spit:

DE lighting's 4x54w have two cords per unit and they come with individual reflectors and waterproof endcaps. I am quite happy with the construction.

The old Ebay units are Ok-ish for their price, but in terms of performance and reliability, they are quite poor. However, let us not discuss that, less this thread turns into another boring thread about Ebay lights.

Im embarrased about my DIY woodwork skills too. my wiring is so messy. might get motivated next week and redo it, then i will put up some photos. :thumbsup:
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby anthony mazzeri » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:50 am

snaza wrote:i like your tank journal. very cool. how are the DE lights going?

Thanks Aaron, cheers. As you've seen, I'm only new to SW and reef tanks so I can't really comment on their performance yet in that regard.

I can say though that I have gone through half a dozen brands of T8 and T5 fixtures for my planted FW tanks and have found them all lacking (poor reflectors, construction, appearance, number of tubes, etc) and was continually looking for better over the years and wasting money in the process. I now have DE T5 fixtures on my 4x2x2 planted tank, and I've finally stopped looking. :thumbsup:

Another product review: The Reef Octopus Litemaster T5s I have on my fuge are okay but I've gotten small zaps from them now and then and the plastic tube clips they come with have a life expectancy of exactly one time only, ie, the first time you try and unclip them from a tube for cleaning the reflector for example, they snap and break. The plastic they're made from is too brittle for the purpose they're meant for. Also, the reflectors have the reflective metal surface on the outside and the painted enamel on the tube-side, which made me think when I first opened the box they made a mistake in making them backwards to what they should be.
anthony mazzeri
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby GIRI » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:25 am

anthony mazzeri wrote:
snaza wrote:i like your tank journal. very cool. how are the DE lights going?

the plastic tube clips they come with have a life expectancy of exactly one time only, ie, the first time you try and unclip them from a tube for cleaning the reflector for example, they snap and break. The plastic they're made from is too brittle for the purpose they're meant for. Also, the reflectors have the reflective metal surface on the outside and the painted enamel on the tube-side, which made me think when I first opened the box they made a mistake in making them backwards to what they should be.

Yep, had the plastic snap on me too. Do you know where you can get some spare?

As for the painted enamel, its actually a blue film that have to be peel off. Its there for protection I think.
GIRI
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby go_wakeboard » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Snaza,
I'll find a heap of good ones and I'll PM you with the results. Gimme a day or so.
Cheers
"Let's get to lootin'" Bender B. Rodriguez
go_wakeboard
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jax » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:25 pm

I have an 4x1.5 foot deep Aqua one tank that originally came with 3 T8 fluro's. I did a retro fit and I am now 4 T5's all corals are growing including candy's and open brain albeit slow but they are growing.

Current list are toadstool, candy coral, cladiella, Lobophyllia, Finger leather, open brain, Duncan, Pearl coral, Cataphyllia, mushrooms and Zoa's.

I want to fit at least 2 more lights in there but Im just having trouble trying to figure out where to mount the ballasts.
Current lighting are tubes from Guppies 10k, 14k, 20k and actinic.
Cheers
Jason

4x2x1.5 Aqua One HR1280 Aquarium Gank.
Red Sea Maxx 130
Happy as Larry
Jax
Centurion Reefer

Postby anthony mazzeri » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 1:37 pm

GIRI wrote:As for the painted enamel, its actually a blue film that have to be peel off. Its there for protection I think.

Argh, so I've been running them for two months on my fuge with the protective film still on them? :wall:

It never even occurred to me at all in any way that it was a peelable film. It just looked painted to me. I've even taken the reflectors off and cleaned them a couple of times without realising.

Well, I just tried peeling one off and it's flaking into little bits like paint so to all intents and purposes it is painted on now because of the heat from the tubes. Bummer.

In regards to the plastic clips, I've asked Michael at Reefing Life if he can source some metal ones, but he's still looking I think:

metal clips
anthony mazzeri
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jax » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 5:37 pm

Question for people.

How far away can I put the ballasts from the end caps?

Problem is that I dont have the room in the hood for the ballasts and lights the length of the cable would probably be 1.5m at most do you think there would be too much loss in the cable to run the lights?
Cheers
Jason

Red Sea Maxx 130
Happy as Larry
Jax
Centurion Reefer

Postby chrismelb » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 6:00 pm

What are some of the good T5 HO lighting fixtures, that are easily available to us here?

Here is a list of lighting options that i have found all have individual reflectors as options

* DE lighting
* Aquamedic
* Geiseman (D&D razors)- - not readily availble here that i know of
* ICE CAP ballasts and reflectors - not readily availble here that i know of
* Hagen GLO T5 control units (ballast & endcap only)
* DIY T5 Kits, with endcaps and parabolic reflectors.
* ATI pendents
*Sfigioli

REgards

Chris
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:51 pm

Jax wrote:Question for people.

How far away can I put the ballasts from the end caps?

Problem is that I dont have the room in the hood for the ballasts and lights the length of the cable would probably be 1.5m at most do you think there would be too much loss in the cable to run the lights?

My ballasts are 1m away. should be ok i reckon.
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:55 pm

Jax wrote:I have an 4x1.5 foot deep Aqua one tank that originally came with 3 T8 fluro's. I did a retro fit and I am now 4 T5's all corals are growing including candy's and open brain albeit slow but they are growing.

Current list are toadstool, candy coral, cladiella, Lobophyllia, Finger leather, open brain, Duncan, Pearl coral, Cataphyllia, mushrooms and Zoa's.

I want to fit at least 2 more lights in there but Im just having trouble trying to figure out where to mount the ballasts.
Current lighting are tubes from Guppies 10k, 14k, 20k and actinic.

I would try 4 better bulbs. how wide is your tank? Good bulbs made a HUGE difference for me
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:58 pm

chrismelb wrote:What are some of the good T5 HO lighting fixtures, that are easily available to us here?

Here is a list of lighting options that i have found all have individual reflectors as options

* DE lighting
* Aquamedic
* Geiseman (D&D razors)- - not readily availble here that i know of
* ICE CAP ballasts and reflectors - not readily availble here that i know of
* Hagen GLO T5 control units (ballast & endcap only)
* DIY T5 Kits, with endcaps and parabolic reflectors.
* ATI pendents
*Sfigioli

REgards

Chris

ATI would be the best but its BIG $. I just use DIY stuff and find it great if you have a hood. otherwise the DE are good value. ive never used them but others on here have.
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jax » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:55 pm

snaza wrote:I would try 4 better bulbs. how wide is your tank? Good bulbs made a HUGE difference for me

Thanks for the reply tank is 18 inches wide.
Cheers
Jason

Red Sea Maxx 130
Happy as Larry
Jax
Centurion Reefer

Postby BluE SnipeR » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 1:48 am

Would be nice to know how long everyone runs their T5s for, mine stays on for 10 hours and I think its too long.
BluE SnipeR
Veteran Reefer

Postby K.Sea » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 7:41 am

Blue most days i blast the tank with about 14 or more hours of light, and everything seems to love it.
K.Sea
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion