• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Starfunker & Buddys 75L Reef nano

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Starfunker & Buddys 75L Reef nano

Postby starfunker » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 1:17 pm

Let the emptying of the wallet begin...

10/02/2008

I’ve been looking forward to building a marine reef for a long time but have shied away because of the costs involved, I think now I can start small and with my next venture move on to a full blown aquarium. :clap:

I’m using 4 a year old 75L Aqua One AR-510 previously used for keeping tropical Freshwater fish.

The early days of my freshwater set up when I was living in Parramatta.

Tank hasn’t been used for about three years.

No mods made to tank other than light change.

Plan to keep:

Rock – 10 - 13 Kg

Coral –
Hammer
Zoos
Sun coral

Inverts –
Small clam
Snails
Cleaner shrimp
Urchin
Blue Starfish

Fish -
2 Tank bred Clowns
Majestic Angel
Psychadelic Mandarin

Buddy setting up everything for me

Buddy looking very proud of his work

First day water stats:

pH – 8.30
Ammonia – 0.0 ppm
Nitrite – 0.0 ppm
Nitrate – 0.0
Salinity – 1.028

Let’s see what happens next week!

Empty tank close up

17/02/2008

Got 10 Kg of Live rock and some snails from Nissky (thanks mate)
It had a nice little hammer coral and some other little pieces that are currently having a bit of a hard time, but I’m trying to bring them back to optimal health.
I also just found some interesting looking worms and little shrimp when I started feeding my hammer caviar.

Can any one tell what kind of shrimp and worm I have here?

First Live rock water stats

pH – 8.30
Ammonia – 0.0 ppm
Nitrite – 0.0 ppm
Nitrate – 0.0
Salinity – 1.028

23/02/2008

One little piece of coral here (a lace coral I think) is looking very white and I have little hope of bringing it back but I will try my best… If any one has any tips, you can see it towards the back right. :wall:

One week with live rock water stats

pH – 8.30
Ammonia – 0.0 ppm
Nitrite – 0.0 ppm
Nitrate – 0.0
Salinity – 1.028

Nothing seems to be changing here. :bow:

I have been keeping a close eye on the water levels and salinity so not to make any significant changes.

It will be a few weeks before any more livestock is added…
Update coming!

I know it doesn’t look like much now but it’s only the beginning.
:cheers:
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 1:39 pm

Great looking Live rock mate!
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah and at $7/Kg I think I did well.
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:02 pm

Hello,

Adding a Psychadelic Mandarin to your tanks not going too go well. They need a well established tank (1 year old min) and lots of live rock.

Normally most tanks run a salinity of 1.021-1.024 depending on the live stock, you might want to lower it a bit. When you top up your tank alway use fresh water (preferable RO) to replace the evaporated water otherwise your salinity will increase
Have fun,
Tim
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby therandomhero » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:05 pm

that worm you have needs to be removed!!! it is an indo-pacific fireworm and will sting corals and your hands so wear gloves when you try and remove it. here is some info on it i copied for yafrom another thread.

Polychaetes (bristle worms) Certain free-living marine worms know as fire worms (Class Polychaeta, Hermodice carrunculata, Eurythoë complanata) have hollow, toxin-filled setae that cause painful stings when they break human skin. The retractable setae can be extended by the worm when they are threatened. Reactions to the venom may include a long-lasting burning sensation and associated inflammation, itching, and numbness, in addition to the possibility of secondary infection. The burning sensation typically last several hours but can last several days in some cases. Remedies for the burning include removing the offending setae from the skin using a pair of forceps or sticky tape, and gently soaking the affected area with isopropyl alcohol, vinegar, or diluted (10%) ammonia. Topical benzocaine can relieve pain, and antibiotic ointment should be applied to the wound to minimize the possibility of a secondary infection. Prior to removing the offending setae, the skin should not be rubbed as this only aggravates the stinging. Figure 258. Fire worm (Hermodice carunculata). Photo: University of Vienna.

Figure 259. Fire worm (Eurythoe camplanata). ♦
Photo: David J. Elliott. Another group of marine polychaetes do not sting with their setae but they inflict painful bites with a pair of fangs located at the tip of an eversible proboscis. Worms belonging to this group include Eunice aphroditois, Onuphis teres, and Glycera spp. The fangs of Glycera spp. are equipped with venom glands and their bites are reportedly similar to that of a wasp sting.
Symptoms generally include pain, swelling, redness and itching that may last several days. Small lesions may appearr at the bite location. Recovery is otherwise uneventful. Figure 260. Polychete worm (Glycera sp.). Photo: David Remsen. Figure 261. Mouthparts of the polychete worm Glycera sp. Photo: source unknown.
therandomhero
Curious Reefer

Postby therandomhero » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:10 pm

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=184373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fireworms&start=90

there is a link to sjp770's tank journal where he has some picures of huge ones he caught in his tank and there is a little bit of discussion about them.
therandomhero
Curious Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:19 pm

I've got lots in my tank that help with cleaning up. Can't say I've had any real problem with them at all.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Starfunker & Buddys 75L Reef nano

Postby PaulG » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:24 pm

starfunker wrote:I also just found some interesting looking worms and little shrimp when I started feeding my hammer caviar.

The worm is a bristle worm, the shrimp looks very much like a Mantis shrimp (a spearer by the looks of the arms).

Looking good though!

HTH
PaulG
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby therandomhero » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:27 pm

there's a difference between normal bristle worms and the fireworms. sjp770 pulled one out that was 17cm long. there was also another reefer on there can't remember who, who was stung by one and it left heaps of crazy welts all over his hand. i can't guaruntee that it is the fireworm because im no expert but just keep an eye on it.

i apologize for sorta jumpin in and jumping to a conclusion but i would definetly keep an eye on it!!
therandomhero
Curious Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 3:00 pm

Ok so...

Salinity - was actually 1.026 and I have adjusted to 1.023.

Mandarin - I have no plans of getting one soon (if I ever do) I would just like to keep one.

Worm - That doesn't sound great: Any ways of catching him should I need to?

Shrimp - Should I be worried? Not that I see much of him but I don't mind the look of the little blighter (only about 20mm). Much better looking than other mantis' I've seen.
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Siiri » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 3:22 pm

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading the RTAW Beginners Guide...link below :

http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php?title=Beginners_Guide

I believe your salinity was fine at 1.026 according to the guide...just on the higher end !!! I'd suggest bringing it back up a little as it is now too low.

I don't know how others do it but to catch fireworms I place a clear tube packed very lightly with filter wool and a bit of raw prawn in the centre in the bottom of the tank at night. I keep watch and when a worm enters I pull the tube out of the tank... they can't back out fast enough due to the filter wool catching on their bristles. Just watch you don't touch them yourself !!! I once caught one within two minutes of placing the tube in the tank. He must have been hungry. (Oh and let most of him get in the tube before trying to get him)
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby K.Sea » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 3:45 pm

That looks like a bristle worm to me and the shrimp in the picture is also a "pistol shrimp" i'd leave them both be. Your tank is FAR too small for a majestic angelfish and i'd also steer clear of a mandarin but if you intent on keeping one wait until your tank is pretty well established (a year or so) or you can find one thats definately eating frozen/pellet foods, but even then its a bit of a hit and miss. HTH Casey. :thumbsup:
K.Sea
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 6:30 pm

:withyou: Keep the bristleworms and shrimp. They are great at clearing up food scraps, and wont harm anything in your system that isnt dieing or dead. No need to remove them. :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Siiri » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm

:withyou: ... my first Nano is full of them but I also had a couple of fireworms which I understand are also a type of bristleworm but not quite so tank friendly. Mine were growing huge so I removed them. I can't tell from starfunker's photo which he has...
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 9:18 am

Alright so now my salinity is at 1.024.
My basic levels are all still looking good but my hard corals are all on their way out... I don't think these will be back any time soon!

My acro's are either completely white or getting whiter by the day!

The hammer looks OK, but how do you tell?

I'm not sure if the lighting is sufficient as I am using the basic 2 x 16W T8 lights but I am more concrened that with no extra power heads in there I may not be providing sufficient circulation so I have ordered a 2300L PH, should get that in 2 - 3 days.

Definately not getting any more livestock until I get this right!

Any ideas?
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sjp770 » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:34 am

if your worm looks like this, get rid of him. but if he is smaller and less bristles then i wouldnt worry too much. as for catching them, i just waited until it was 100% clear of any rocks, then used the aquaone tweasers / tongs to grab him. or just lift up a rock at random, they usually hide in them but i found three under the biggest one in my tank.
sjp770
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:00 pm

Acropora will not do well under T8 lighting in a tank of your depth. 2 x 16W T8's would only sustain low light requiring corals. I would suggest Mushrooms, Zoanthids, Leathers (Sarcophytons), and not much else. The lighting on an all-in-one tank is traditionally low, and your tank is (sadly) no exception. I suggest you also buy a good book, like "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman, so you start to get a feel for what will/wont work in your style system. :thumbsup:

Have you tested your Alkalinity and Calcium? These are both beneficial to test for when keeping coral of any kind.

Flow should be between 20-30 times the volume of the tank per hour IMO.

I think the main limiting factor for your system is the lighting. You can research on here the term "retrofit" kits, where members have supplemented existing lighting with more, to accommodate different corals.

For now, I would suggest you stop adding anything and let the tank develop and mature. You have gone from start up to losing coral, and I really think the tank needs time to mature. It could also use more live rock to help filtration, and aid in aquascaping/coral placement later.

I know you have already received alot of information throughout this thread, but there really is no need to remove anything at this stage IMO.

The worm is a normal Bristle Worm, and I have many like them. As mentioned, they are a terrific source of extra help in clearing up left over food scraps and breaking down anything decaying. We can only see pictures, you are the one with the ability to view first hand. ;) Id suggest you do some Google searches as I have just done, and compare your specimen to those on reliable web sources. If you felt you really did need to remove it, there will be more where he came from to take his place anyway. ;)

As far as your safety in regards to their sting, different people react differently. Some react severely, others dont. I was stung with many spines picking up a piece of rubble. I removed the spines by running some sticky tape over the area and putting my hand in as hot a water as I could handle. My palm and finger went very itchy for a day or so, but no swelling or redness. If you are concerned, you can pick up chap rubber gloves at the supermarket or chemist.

As for the "Crustacean" seen in the picture, it is 99% Pistol Shrimp. As said, id suggest you run a few Google image searches, and search for "Pistol Shrimp" and "Mantis Shrimp" and make your own judgement.

Our Reefpedia also has numerous pictures of what your after!

- Pistol Shrimp
- Mantis Shrimp
- Bristelworms

Here is an excellent thread you should read through. It is very important to take your time, research, and ride the slow train to maximum marine aquarium goodness! :thumbsup: (Im an idiot...lol)
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby starfunker » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice... it will probably be a while until my next update (like I said I've got to get my environment up to scratch before I put any livestock in). I have been reading as much as I can get my hands on (don't know how happy my Boss would be). Also I have been searching people’s questions and discussions and asking a few n00b q's of my own.

I will leave our little buddies and keep a close eye on them so that I can snatch them out should they be committing nuisance!

I am running through the idea of making simple lighting upgrades (which hoes against my "Do what I can with what I have" philosophy for the nano) so if any one has any good info that would pertain to my system give me a yell.

Cheers,
K!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Update

Postby starfunker » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 11:53 pm

06/04/2008

Stocking up

Ok so it’s been around 2 months since I started, my tank has gone through the nitrate cycle and though the ammonia and nitrite stayed pretty low I managed to lose the frags that camed attached to my Live rock. Also come to think of it I haven’t heard from my shrimp since my first real change in aquascape.

I have changed the aquascape several times, having several ideas on just how to build my reef. At the moment I have settled on a fair structure and the only thing I can ee really changing it is my pain in the bum Urchin, Lurch!

One of the first things I did was set up a Metal Halide Clamp-on fitting from Guppy’s (my wife hates the look of it but I have assured it that it’s for the good of our new pets).

FTS with new light

I have since moved some more inhabitants into my tank, first Krusty the clown (who is now in my mate Jason’s reef) a Lawn mower Blenny named commando (based on the lawn mower and his cammo appearance).

Krusty the (GSM) Clown

Commando the %@#$&@!! Blenny (I have a story to come!!!)

Next I added a Reef Octopus HB-100F protein skimmer which I bought second hand from Siiri, this is working great, pulling out some disgusting looking skimate and has increased my water capacity. It’s creating some annoying bubbles but I will need to get some Bio-balls to help that.

Picture of one days skimmate

I have collected some Zoas from Z3an, Siiri and recently Bubbles (thanks, doing well). Also I got my torch from Z3an.

Most tank shot

I made a Gravity fed auto top off, I'm happy with it.

I had to make it relatively easy on the eye as the hard ware for this little tank is obtrusive enough already!
It was fairly simple once I bypassed the simple minded Bunnings staff!

More pics

Pics of some of the Frags from Siiri

Also from Z3an (lucky I didn’t take his whole tank, or unlucky!!)
I now have two misbar occelaris clowns. This was the reason I had to move Krusty which was the plan all along. My wife wanted some Occys and I am keen on breeding, hopefully this can be achieved with out too much fuss. They are yet to be named, but they are a fantastic colour!!! So Orange!

More to come including some new Zoo frags, Z3ans clowns and my blenny story titled 'How to lose your mind while spilling water and skimmate all over the floor that smells like rotten eggs and crap' (including pics)
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Siiri » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:00 pm

Glad to see your tank coming together nicely starfunker... :clap:

Two Hints -

1. I'd move the Blasto. frags further down in the tank with such strong lighting and they should expand much better.
2. Keep the cup of the skimmer a little higher so your skimmate is not so watery...and even more concentrated and stinkier... :roflmao:

Krusty's cute !!!

:cheers:

Siiri
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks Siiri,

I've moved th Blastos down to lower rocks over the week end, hopefully I have time to add the rest of the pics tonight.

Thanks for the advice!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby coral1 » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:46 pm

looks like its all coming along very nicely
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby newbi_nemo » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 4:22 pm

hay starfunker

do u have a link to ur light?/
thanks mate
no regrets jsut lessons learned
newbi_nemo
RTAW Reefer

Postby starfunker » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 4:37 pm

PM sent
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Bugger!

Postby starfunker » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 8:35 pm

07/03/2008

Small Problem! (About 2 - 3 inches actually)

I was getting ready for bed about 10 last night when I did my last check of the tank, all good... wait no, not quite...

I couldn't find my Blenny (Commando)... hmmm, I'll have a look, still can't see him, not that weird he has to be there, *quick look*... he's not on the floor, ok good. I won't worry I think, he's gotta be there so I should stop looking, but of course having looked only makes me more curious as to where he could be.

Then, no, he couldn't, nah, he's not... hmmmm.. I have a quick glance, and almost miss him because I wasn't even prepared to see him there... Yep, sure enough he's in my skimmer!!!

Commando (who I thin looks like Homer Simpson, who would have good reason for a D'oh here) looking quite sheepish!

The first compartment any way, being blocked by pipes and pumps I have to figure a way to get him out and after much deliberation, I decide to remove the skimmer which requires removing a pipe attached to my auto top off. Then I try to tip him back in and get to the point where I need to do so outside the tank into a large bucket. While doing so, stupidly I let the lid fall of my collection cup, spilling skimmate all over the floor!

Now this stuff stinks real bad, like rotten eggs, crap and vomit, so bad that my wife at the other end of the house asked if I farted!!

Long story nearly over, I got him out and back in the tank after much trouble. I had a bit of a leakage problem after replacing the removed pipe, fixed that and of course cleaned the floor. Yuk!!
:furious: :furious:

Little so and so! :wall:

It was actually my fault I left my overflow box down a bit low, wont do that again!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby coral1 » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 9:00 pm

gotta love this hobby
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby starfunker » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:18 pm

I've got some pretty damn big bristle worms!!!

See here.
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:08 pm

... Ind I walk out this morning to find myself one Clown short!

Yep, he was lying there on the floor over a meter away from my tank!

And he didn't even have a name yet!!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby philip_c » Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:50 am

wow things are looking good, keep up the good work
Philip
philip_c
Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 8:21 pm

27/04/2008

Time to give an update with some pics.

Not a lot has happened recently, I found a way to stop the bubbles from my skimmer... that instead leaks water on to my floor. Not good, will have to keep working and leave the bubbles for a while.

I have switched to using NSW which I think has had some benefit, can never really tell but things look good.

FTS

The afore mentioned lone clown

From the top

Commando - Much more comfortable in his surroundings these days, happy to pose for a pic.

Sun coral - The latest addition.

I haven't seen much of it yet, getting there though.
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)