• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Pauls Red Sea Max [Winner TOTM July 2008]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Pauls Red Sea Max [Winner TOTM July 2008]

Postby Jasjed75 » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 2:08 pm

This tank journal has been a long time coming, and I am on my third tank now. I started in the marine aquarium game some 18 months ago, and a lot has changed for me over that time. :nut:
I love reading all of the tank journals and look in amazement at some of the photography, aqua scaping and big bucks that people spend (you all must have good wives). :cheers:

My first tank was a 48�x15�x28� from Dennison (Maryannes) that was for my wife as she wanted turtles. I had a nice turtle doc and other bits and bobs in the tank, but she didn�t look after them, RIP. After I tended to keeping the tank clean, and the turtles departed us, I decided that it was my turn to have what I want, and I convinced my darling wife that it wouldn�t cost that much to change over to Marine Aquarium (ha ha). ;) Image

After spending about $3000 or more on the tank, I was away, and things were on the up and up. I was running two canister filters in the cabinet as I didn�t have much room. Cutting a long story short, we sold the house and the bloke who bought the house wanted the tank, but not the contents.

I was fortunate to come across a nice 6x2x2 with sump and fuge that a friend was selling, so into the next house it went (we are renting while our new house is being built). This was a beautiful set up, but I soon worked out that the power bill was not so beautiful, and I didn�t have as much time on my hands to care for and improve the tank. :furious:

It had to go (thinking of the new house with a pool, air con etc etc), so I was going to get out of the game all together, but my wife convinced me to buy a Red Sea Max tank. :clap:

All I can say is that I am converted, and would probably never consider buying anything bigger, but just buying more of them and positioning them throughout the house.

I purchased the max about 3 months ago, and positioned it next to the 6 footer, and slowly moved a few things across. Most of my fish had to go, and I only ended up keeping two fish from the 6 footer.

Here is what I have now �

The Max (she�s a beutie)
TC20 Chiller

Nikon D80 camera with 18-70 lens.
Manfrotto Tripod

And that�s it for equipment. I did have a Tunze Nanostream in the tank but it was old and making noise, and after checking it was actually broken. Tried fixing it, but it was buggered and beyond repair. I may get another at some stage.

Stock in the tank �

Fish

2 x Percula Clowns;
1 x Midas Blenny;
1 x Scooter Goby;
1 x Firetail Goby;
2 x Mandarins;
1 x Oyster Blenny.

Inverts

2 x Scarlet Shrimp;
2 x Peppermint Shrimp;
1 x Hitchhiker shrimp;
A whole stack of clean up crew.
1 x Darwin Clam

Corals

Goni�s
Turbestrea
Torch
Hammers,
Corilamorphs
Zoo�s
Fluffies
Bubble

Here are a few photo�s of my tank and occupants. For once, I am happy with my own aqua scaping.

I have a few acknowledgements to add at this point, I wish to publicly thank the Pet City Team for putting up with me over the years, and in particular Andrew for his valuable advice and guidance.

I would also like to thank Bishop2k for his calming influence and being there when I needed a hand or advice outside of business hours.

Finally, I would like to thank those who took equipment and livestock etc off my hands during my tank break downs. You were all nice people, and easy to deal with.

I hope to add to my journal over time, and hope that it will stack up against some of the small nano systems on this forum�.. over time I said.

Hopefully my photo�s will also improve when I get a better lens for my camera.

Thanks and happy reefing. :thumbsup:
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 3:02 pm

Wow - love the progression!

The RSM is looking fantastic :thumbsup:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Chow » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 4:13 pm

Good job Paul! One of the best RSM tanks ive seen.
Last edited by Chow on Mon 05 Nov, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chow
Veteran Reefer

Postby justinfox » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 5:26 pm

Beautiful little tank :)
My 6ft SPS Tank Journal (now no longer): viewtopic.php?f=148&t=183493
My blog: http://www.justinfox.com.au
justinfox
Veteran Reefer

Postby Turbo » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 6:19 pm

Looks great Paul. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
All the best Peter.
Turbo
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dunny » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 7:16 pm

Beautiful tank, I've been trying to convince a mate to get one of these...this might do it!
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 10:42 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope to make it look a whole lot better over time and learn to take a far better photo.

All of your tanks are inspiring. :bow:

Thanks
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Tank Journal Update 22/11/2007

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 1:22 pm

Well, a few small purchases, and a gift from a friend to add to the journal.

Visited Heath at Coral Creations over the past couple of days, and I am impressed to say the least. :clap:

His selection of corals, and unique pieces is just fantastic - this coupled with his friendly smile and zest for the hobby. :cheers:

I look forward to many purchases from Heath throughout my hobby. :wavey:

Here are a couple of things from Heath.... :o

Star Dust Polyps...

Feather Duster

A special thanks to Bishop2k for his gift (as promised a long time ago during a momentary lapse in concentration and excitement). ;)

Heliofungia

And just a few shots of my tank ATM.... Nothing much else to add, but thought I would include them anyhow.

My big bubble Heath..... Like I said, he is big and full of tenticles.

My zoo's - do you want some Heath....... Maybe a trade for those one's that I want hey....

Thanks for all of the kind comments from people who have viewed my tank journal. I hope to get a nice macro lens for my D80 in due course but have many other priorities ATM like my house being built etc.

Thanks and tight lines.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby dejavu » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 1:29 pm

Very nice Paul! I love it how everything looks very grown in.

Oh, and do try to resist the temptation of over-utilising the sand bed. It's BEAUTIFUL the way it's unclattered!
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks Louis, certainly will not be putting much more on the floor... Only one more fungia and thats it, I promise. I just want to cover my rock work ATM with zoo's - but unique colours...
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 2:34 pm

Great looking tank Paul.

Whats the white coral right in the centre of the tank.

Looks too big for a zoo but bit small for a daisy. Is it bleached or naturally that colour?
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 2:39 pm

The white coral in the middle is a Goni that I got from another members tank that has gone through a lot but has recovered nicely and is starting to grow beautifully. Thanks again for the comments.
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby dustfp » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi Paul,

Great looking RSM, I hope mine might become as nice as yours one day.
One question though, do you not have any problems with microbubbles coming through the powerheads? Have you changed any of the mechanical/bio/chemical filtering at the back?
dustfp
Centurion Reefer

Postby Camocean » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 3:47 pm

Very nice tank, like the uncluttered look on the floor and the space under for circulation as well :thumbsup:
great work
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -- Frank Sinatra
Camocean
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi guys, and thanks for looking at my journal.... :cheers:

B4 I bought the max, I did a little research on a few threads here on MASA and saw that people had made a few changes to their max's, so I decided to do the same. :withyou:

Inside the inlet where there is meant to be the large piece of black sponge, I have simply chopped it in half which assists in water flow. The small white piece of filter wool that is placed on top of the black sponge, I replace say weekly, when I do my water changes (20ltrs a time).

In the skimmer compartment is my little pump that runs my chiller, and I use the hockey sticks for the inlet and return of the chiller.

I have the media where it is meant to be, but on top of the media, I have a sachet of BIOZORB which is much the same as Seachem PURIGEN, and I replace that say every couple of months.

As far as the micro bubbles, I have found that I only got them when water flow in the back filtration compartment was slowed down by some factor whether it be by misplaced items (I had the BIOZORB on top of the black sponge in the intake which stemmed flow into the back). :thumbsup:

During my next water change, and maintenance day, I will take some pics.... I also had a tunze nano stream in the tank over near the inlet to assist with extra flow, but it broke and I am waiting for some new ones to come in and I will return one to the system. ;)

By the way, everyone else's tank journal looks great to, and I will eventually get around to passing comments on them (all good of course).

Thanks again.
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby gigs » Wed 28 Nov, 2007 1:49 pm

I am VERY impressed with your RSM Paul, you have me inspired. I have done lots of searching on the net to find info about RSM and yours is by far the best example I have seen. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would love some day for my tank to look half as good as yours. My RSM is just starting the cycling process. I think at about day 9 today. Please post the pics of your water chiller setup as I will need to do the same to mine soon. Is it possible for you to post the hardware that you used for the chiller setup too. :thumbsup:
gigs
Curious Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Wed 28 Nov, 2007 4:22 pm

Thanks for the comments gigs..... Yours will come along just fine... As I said, my chiller is a Teco TC20 (which is majorly over sized due to my last set up, and didnt see the point in down sizing cause I knew how old this one was and that it shouldnt have to work too hard to keep this tank cool).

I would probably recommend a TC10 for a max, with the small powerhead sat beside the skimmer and the hockey sticks like mine - I think the hockey sticks are fluval brand I think.

Anyway here are some pics of my set up (they are not very good).

Full view.....

Top view with both hockey sticks in view.... pump is on the right hand side of shot....

Side of the max with the hockey sticks joined up with some hose from the LFS.....

This works for me but you may find other methods that work for you. Teco chillers are not the cheapest but I think that they are the best... Least that is what I think anyhow.

If you choose the teco chiller, you will have to notch out the shelf in the cabinet at the back to accomodate the taps on the top of the chiller. Only a small bit of timber work, but it fits in nice and neat. I will eventually cut a hole in each side of the cabinet and put in black vents to help with circulation, but the fans work a treat. Bought from Kmart for 15 bucks each. Cheap as chips but have a two year warranty. They are on 24/7.

Hope this helps.... And enjoy your tanks..

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby gigs » Wed 28 Nov, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply Paul. Just a couple of questions. Can you tell me the brand and model of your pump, it is a small space and I dont want to get one that doesnt fit. Also is the white cable the temp probe for the chiller? What have you found the best temp to run the tank at? I am so impressed by your tank that I want to try and model mine as closely as possible to yours. Hope you dont mind.
Thanks inadvance. :thumbsup:
Gigs
gigs
Curious Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Wed 28 Nov, 2007 7:46 pm

Gigs, the pump is a no name brand that I bought from Age of Aquarium here in Brisbane - you just need to find the smallest pump with the height to suit. The temp on the chiller is set at 25, and I have the temp guage in the back of the system just as a precautionary measure just incase the chiller malfunctions, and cools the tank too much (big chiller, little tank). Thanks again for your kind comments, the tank is nice, but not as nice as a lot of other tanks on this forum. I have just found the max real easy to care for (after looking after a 6&4footer). As I said in my previous threads, just change the wool pad every water change, and a 20ltr water change every two weeks or so, and it looks nice and clean all the time. I use cyclopeze and the corals love it. I am just looking forward to getting my tunze pump back into the tank (when they finally arrive at the LFS). Keep up your journal, and PM me if you need help with anything. I hope to get another max when we move into our new house (eventually anyhow). I would like my wife to aquascape it and make it hers.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby gigs » Sun 02 Dec, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Paul, I just love looking at your pictures in this thread and fantasise about my tank looking as good..... :bow:

I did have a question tho, I see you have a Darwin Clam just wondering how he is going and if the lights are good enough in the RSM. I wanted to put a clam in mine but I wasnt sure there would be enough light for them.
gigs
Curious Reefer

Postby Dallas » Sun 02 Dec, 2007 10:22 pm

Looks awesome, Paul. Really come along since I saw it. BTW, the skimmer is pumping along nicely.
Dallas
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Great

Postby heathbez » Sun 02 Dec, 2007 10:40 pm

Paul

How have I missed such a spectacular tj? Fantastic looking tank to say the least, you were right about having a sexy big bubble, that is just sensational.
I will certainly do a swap for some of those funky zoa's if you like and when you come down we might have to sort you out with a few funky nik naks to finish off the tank.

Look forward to seeing what happens in the final stages of this great tank.

See you soon mate.

Heath
Qld Coral Creations (07) 3715 5947
coralcreations@hotmail.com
heathbez
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Jasjed75 » Mon 03 Dec, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi guys and thanks again for the comments.

Gigs - the darwin clam seems to be going along just fine.... Nice and colourful, and has even got a new shell since being in my tank....

Dallas - thanks for the comments. It is coming along slowly but nicely. I am glad to hear that the skimmer is working just fine. Saw you enjoying the meeting on the pictures from Aus's TJ.... I told you that the skimmer would go great... Deltec- what can you say.....

Heath - well, it took you a while to have a look at my journal... I knew that you were busy down there, and hope to be in to see you in the next week or so... The little feather duster has decided to turn its heals up and receed into the pipe.... Gawn..... I have not seen it for over 3 days now... I reckon its left us for good. Not to worry, not everything is meant to be.

Thanks for the comments, and look forward to picking up some zoo's from Heath to finish off the tank.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby Beaker » Mon 03 Dec, 2007 8:10 pm

Nice tank and aqua scaping.. I really like your bubble coral it looks really healthy.

Nothing wrong with running a chiller too big, I do as well and gives me room to upgrade my tank in the future! :)
Matt - the laserman.. pew pew
Beaker
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 06 Dec, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi guys, and thanks for the comments.....

Well a few things have happened since my last post....

The big healthy bubble at the front of the tank turned into the biggest tenticle monster this side of the black stump and decided to sting everything in its path... :furious: Well, it had to go, tried everything, feeding it more, but thought that it would be easier to swap it out to a smaller bubble.

Rang my trust LFS about my tunze nano, and found out that they had just received the shipment of tunze, and decided that I would upgrade to the 6055 with contoller. So, I pulled out the bubble, and a frag of my green zoo's for my mate Heath at Coral Creations and off I toddled.....

Got to the LFS only to realise that the 6055 was not $300 as I first thought but $400, with the controller another $100..... My bad, I should have done my homework first.... Well, with the misus away, and knowing that I had made a few purchases of late that she generously allowed me to make (I am not under the thumb, I promise I am not), I decided that it was best that I just exchange the faulty 6025 for another and be done with it...... ;)

Made a few purchases at LFS..... Some more Zoo's, a anemone crab, a nice little fungia, and some star dust pollups... Not much really...

Here is the fungia and the anemone crab.....

Orange Zoos from LFS.... Very basic but nice none the same...

Left the LFS and made my way to Coral Creations and visited Heath... Dropped off a frag of my green zoo's, and he gave me some unreal orange and red zoo's.... Heath, you are a champion...

Got home and started playing.... Fitted the Tunze, did a water change and turned the tank back on, and got a bubble storm... :wall:

Move the Tunze around, and turned it off, but found that the Tunze wasnt the problem.... The problem was the skimmer in my max.... Massive amounts of micro bubbles coming out......

Turned off the skimmer, and tried a number of things (did a lot of research on the forums, and on the net) and nothing worked..... Lots of black foam, cleaned the skimmer and pump, cleaned everything in the back, but nothing seemed to work. :furious:

Anyhow, rang a trusted friend at the LFS and he is looking into it for me. Fingers crossed that he will come through.... :cheers:

Anyhow, the skimmer is now turned off, and the tank is again nice and clear.

I kept the Tunze turned off, and decided that I needed no further flow in this little baby, and decided that my mate Heath could use the Tunze more than I could, so dropped it off to him today at Coral Creations.... Get down there Brisbane people.... Sumner Park..... There is a lot of nice stuff and different....

I love the ZOO's from Heath..... (whoever gave them to him thankyou... I love them). A few pictures that I took today anyhow.

Zoos from Heath (middle of shots.... Red and orange ones) I look forward to fragging them and giving them back to heath to continue the good will.....

Goni (very healthy)

Boring old star fish.... Pretty though...

Spot the fish??????

I love my Midas Blenny..... He's the coolest fish of all....

Thanks for all of your kind comments, and I have a long way to go with my little tank..... Lots of little things now.... Nothing more on the floor apart from another fungia if I find the right colour (purple or pink and very small like the one that I have).... And heaps more Zoos (just unique ones now). Thanks and enjoy :thumbsup:

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 13 Dec, 2007 9:21 am

Well, my skimmer is still turned off, and will be doing a water change today. Tank doesnt seem any different to look at (no more bits in the water than usual).

Hope to have the skimmer problem soughted out some time in the new year...... Lets hope. :nut:

Some bad news though, lost one of my percula clowns.... :( for what reason I dont know. Just found him dead at the back of the tank... :angel: Hope the little fella doesn't get lonely.... :baby:

Hope you all have a merry xmas and happy new year.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby gigs » Thu 13 Dec, 2007 9:33 am

Hey Paul, Your tank is looking fantastic. Sorry to hear about your clown. Keep up the good work mate.
gigs
Curious Reefer

Postby cleo » Thu 13 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi Paul,
Your tank looks absolutely spectacular, your aquascape is awesome and everything looks so healthy. I also have some of those orange zoos from coral creations, it's only been five or six weeks since i've had them, and they're speading like crazy, so i'm sure it won't be long before you're ready to frag them! I have some nice maroons zoos with pink centres that i think are a little unusual, if you'd like some, i'd be happy to drop a frag down to Heath sometime that you could pick up next time you're down there.

:cheers: Cleo
cleo
Curious Reefer

Postby josh&jana » Fri 14 Dec, 2007 4:25 pm

nice tank paul
aquascaping looks great, i know exactly what you mean when you say your finally happy with the rock placement, theres a lot of hair pulling hours spent just getting everything to fit nice...well done
mate
josh
Reefkeeper - (ref-ke-per) n: Individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
josh&jana
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Sat 22 Dec, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Just got home from a short holiday down the coast (a few beers, fishing etc) and found that I was short a fish... My other little percula clown had disappeared.... Presumed dead... Searched the tank, but no sign of the little fella.... RIP....

For some reason one of my colonies of zoo's has decided to turn its heels up and die off... My best as far as I am concerned... I had put it down to a bubble stinging it previously, but it has remained closed (mainly closed) for some time now, and I noticed today that there has been some die back.. What to do... All of my other corals and zoo's are fine... As for the little beauties that I picked up from Heath... As Cleo said in her TJ, they have grown like wild fire, and I have noticed a remarkable growth spirt over a week period. They must like the tank.

Cleo, I would love some frags of zoo.... I will keep you posted the next time that I am due to visit Heath... I know that you are only up the road.

My skimmer is still turned off, and I was hoping to have heard back from the rep from Red Sea, but XMAS has taken over I guess.

Hope all are well, and a happy xmas.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)