• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Steve's 3x2x2.5 [TOTM February 2009] Just Random Pictures

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Steve's 3x2x2.5 [TOTM February 2009] Just Random Pictures

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:02 pm

Oh well here goes.

What I wanted

I wanted a marine tank to fit a very specific place in our house. Needless to say I thought the whole process was going to be relatively easy (first mistake how misinformed I was) so of to the local LFS (yep getting the hang of the lingo) to check out how much it was going to cost me BIG SHOCK

After a conservative quote (so I was told) of $3000 and me being a stubborn sort of guy a good 1/3 of the quote was to do with the stand and hood being a handy sort of guy (fitter/machinist by trade) I had an idea (second mistake) lets make a stand and hood.

So here starts the beginning of no doubt a very rewarding but expensive hobby I am determined to succeed at (thank god I found this site).

So here is where the tank is going

This position can be seen from all the living area so should be a good place plus that fireplace is so ugly.

Tank Stand 1/2 built (found this site 1/2 way through build)

One of many mistakes I used chipboard as a base but I covered it in a waterproof fish pond paint (a lot of water proof fish pond paint)

At this stage thought that it was time to jump up and down on it to see if it has the potential to hold 400l of water and rock.

And here we are at the 3/4 mark need to add one upward lifting door or maybe a pull out piece secured by magnets and rim around where the tank sits.

One last photo of our other spoilt pet.

I wouldn't give her a biscuit

Biggest lesson learnt so far I am a Fitter/Machinist not a carpenter.

Well that's it for the now the Tank is ordered (design changed 3 times read Guv's siphon/durso thread) and hopefully will be completed in the next few weeks. Sump is ordered and the Trullyfish will get order for all the extras.

Well that's about that more photo's to come as we go along.

Cheers Steve
Last edited by Rhys123 on Sat 01 Aug, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cammo » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 5:03 pm

lookin great mate! :)
"The ultimate weapon of mass destruction for ANY society is Ignorance."
James Depriest (2003, Nobel Laureate)

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."
- Rod Stewart
cammo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:48 pm

Finally the finished stand

Ok that's it for the stand Skimmer should be arriving sometime this week from Ethan at Trullyfish tank will be finished this coming weekend

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Hebbs » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:49 am

Very nice job on the stand! :thumbsup:

If the rest of the tank looks this good it will be a cracker!

Nothing like putting a bit of pressure on oneself. ;)

Cheers

Hebbs
"It's not Rocket Surgery!"

My 6 Footer
Hebbs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 8:23 am

:withyou: Very nice finish!!

Looking forward to rest of your build!
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:24 pm

Hebbs & Guv thanks I am pleased with the outcome Lets hope the rest comes out just as good

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Steve's 3x2x2.5 The Begining

Postby markas » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:51 pm

Rhys123 wrote:Image
Cheers Steve

I think your heater might be a bit large for the tank :poke:

The stand looks great, had you thought about using gal powdercoated RHS for the stand?
Cheers
Browny

LPS- The big brother of those "coloured sticks"
[wiki]RTAW Reefpedia[/wiki]
markas
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:06 pm

Markas,

Unfortunately that small tank will be resigned to the study once I rip that ugly heater out and put the new tank, stand and hood in its place.

Powder coated RHS would make a good stand but the study has a purpose built shelf for the small tank to rest on.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sun 04 Nov, 2007 8:11 pm

Just another quick update

Tank stand finally where it is meant to be(ignore the small tank on it had no where else to put it)

It's very tight under the tank as you can see Sump is 24x12x20 Not yet baffled but will be soon.

Skimmer Octopus Hurricane 800 DNW-150-6530 Short sourced from Ethan at Trullyfish (good service couldn't ask for an easier person to deal with)

The red circle is a pipe that leads to the linen cupboard the old heater had a flue that transferred through here then the roof. I plan in the future (and my wife has given up a shelf in here) to run a auto top up and kalk drip line from there and what ever else I will need. Tank will be completed sometime after the 09/11

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 9:31 pm

Well tank is in place of course in light of the total lack of planning (so it would seem) a few problems have a risen. The whole structure as it stands is over 6 foot tall kinda making it hard to reach the bottom of the tank god help me if I ever put something in I was not meant to it is going to be a [censored] to get out.

Secondly now I know why others have not put a durso and siphon over the top of each other (yep I know in it's present state it wont work will have to extend the cap above the water level.

But apart from those 2 hiccups it all looks good. Hood being finished of live rock on the way.

I am not sure whether to paint the back or let the coralline grow over the back wall.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 9:51 pm

:clap: Steve your build is looking awesome, and all considered your stand looks great!! Keep up the good work.
Oh and by the way read my sig, these little mishaps along the way are all part of the fun. :devil:

Tony
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lewy » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:41 pm

Paint the back black.
New [Cube]
Old [Cube]
Lewy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:04 am

Cheers Tony

Lewy Black mmmmm don't know if I was going to paint it it would be blue (I have to admit I am toying with the idea of letting coralline grow over it though)

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sun 18 Nov, 2007 12:40 pm

A quick video of Siphon \ Durso combo working after a simulated power outage (please ignore the ugly reflection in the glass)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKx2yWIu5Q
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:18 am

Here we go picked up about 80kg of live rock from Michael (Sirpix) today which was great real nice guy very helpful a shame he is ripping his tank down but I guess it benefits me.

So here are the pictures and a few questions about some of the critters. Also because I am very new at this if you can all chip in and name each piece I would greatly appreciate it. And sorry for the picture quality still learning.

Picture 1. Full tank shot

Picture 2. I am not sure what it is called I believe it is some kind of fungi (probably spelt that wrong)

Picture 3. Once again not sure (same as the one above)

Picture 4. Leather of some kind.

Picture 5. This piece is awesome but once again not sure.

Picture 6. Once again not sure.

Picture 7. These guys are everywhere.

Picture 8. Just a great piece.

Picture 9. Should they (3 of them) stay or go.

Picture 10. Same for this guy though he stays on the one rock the others roam.

Once again any help in answering my questions and naming each peice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby tradam » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 6:52 am

picture 7 is aiptasia
tradam
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 8:39 am

:withyou: Could be a job removing them. Perhaps try a predator first (margined coral fish/peppermint shrimp/etc)

I'd also get rid of both those types of crab. The first (black with brown furry legs is definitely a polyp eater) and the second ones eyes are just too close together - I wouldn't trust him.

Rock structure looks pretty cool but try to make sure you have enough space to actually add coral without hitting the sides (assuming you are going reef rather than just FOWLR). Also try to retain grow-out space. (note: you may have already done so - but pics can be deceiving!)
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 9:08 pm

Guv

Yep it is going to by hard to get rid of the little suckers got one today but purely by chance of to the sump he went. Took your advice and flattened out the top and stepped the sides a bit still a upright bombie just a little flatter on the top and few steps on the side. I think at this stage I will just have fish and softies and zoo I really quiet like the fungai as well (though one committed hurrie curie last night or something helped it along its way).

Tradam

Ordered a pair of peppermint shrimps hope that will do the job.

If anyone else could id some of the different pieces that would be great

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sun 25 Nov, 2007 3:35 am

Updated Sump

A few more pics (found the macro function)

Maybe a small colony of Zoanthids

My shy anemone

A few of these (Apstasia hopefully the peppermint shrimps will take care of it)

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 12:48 am

Well so far this hobby has been pretty good to me money wise I have scored some great deals of members shutting down their tanks 80kg of live rock from Sirpix for $450 (my wife still cant believe I paid that much for rocks I shudder to think how much it would have cost from a dealer) From Janey & Rod a beautiful 5 year old Elegance Coral (Cat) and 3 clown fish (2 pair and an outsider) and a beautiful rock full of pink Zoo's all for $120 (I pick the Zoo's up hopefully tomorrow).

So here is the tank so far all parameters are correct and very little algae present.

Tank 3x2x2.5

The plan

Front View

Left View

Right View

Margined Coralfish (Proving hard to feed) Clowns are pigs

Cat

The odd clown out found a host

Realised that the 2x150 Metal halides I had were not cutting the mustard new hood to hold a 400watt in the middle with the 2 150's each side. Just got to add the trim and stain then work out how to hang it from the roof.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dunny » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 9:37 am

Real nice looking tank mate, :thumbsup:

My Cat opens up heaps more when I place him in the sand, yours looks like it will be huge when fully opened up. They are a beautiful coral.

Really like the rock work
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:29 pm

Hey Dunny

Love that Cat check this one out

Great day today went up to Janeyyy & Rods place to pick up a piece of rock covered in pink Zoo's and left loaded to the hilt with other pieces (Thanks fellas much appreciated if you need it when you set your new tank up yell)

So here are some pics.

Front view now

Well that's it hope you like

Cheers Steve
Last edited by Rhys123 on Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey Steve.... Tank looks great mate, coming along very nicely. I just thought I would drop you a line about the aptasia... I had a couple of them in my tank, and bought peppermint shrimp to get rid of them, but there was one left that the little buggers just wouldnt eat.. Dont know why, but a mate of mine gave me a solution to the problem... Get a little syringe (smallest ones that the diabetics use etc) and draw a little vinegar into it, then inject the aptasia with vinegar.... Works a treat, gaaawn the next day. Hope they are all gone for you by now anyhow.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm

Paul,

I have been hitting that damn apastia every night with vinegar (I have gone through 1/2 a litre so far) and they just keep bouncing straight back it is beginning to sh*t me to tears) I am going to get a needle like you said and start injecting the little pricks hopefully that will fix it or splash out and buy some Joe's Juice.

So far I have put 3 peppermint shrimps and a margined coralfish and all of them have turned there noses up at it.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dunny » Wed 05 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm

Very nice cat..love the purple tip ones
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby cleo » Fri 07 Dec, 2007 12:02 am

Hi Steve,
Your tank is looking great, and you did an absolutely superb job on the stand..looks awesome, I love it. I look forward to seeing your plan come together. Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Cleo
cleo
Curious Reefer

Postby Beaker » Fri 07 Dec, 2007 12:14 am

Nice plan you have going there, like how you wish to seperate your different type of corals.. it gets hard when you really can't resist say a bunch of zoa's at the fish shop and you know you don't have room for them in your zoo section hehe

love how you have a pipe going into the other room, will come in very handy!
Matt - the laserman.. pew pew
Beaker
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sat 08 Dec, 2007 1:40 pm

Cleo

Cheers mate

Matt

Yeah lets see how long the plan lasts

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Tue 11 Dec, 2007 12:12 am

Time for an update.

It is hard to believe but my system as it stands now is only 6 weeks old and has kind of gotten away from me (Not in a bad way). When I started this tank I had a definite time line on how and when things where meant to be added, well you can defiantly kiss that time line good bye but hey lets roll with it and see what happens.

Well here goes I will list the parameters for the tank.

Temp - 26 to 27.5
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8 (Little low)
Alk - 7dkh brining slowly up to 8
Ammonia - Always been undetectable
Nitrate - Undetectable.

In the last 6 weeks the tank has had 2 x 100% water changes in total (I believe this is a major reason why everything to date is going fine)

I tested phosphate a week ago it was very low to undetectable but this and calcium will be the next 2 kits I get.

I also have 2 new lights to test out I have a 250w Metal Halide lowbay with 20000k bulb which I will be fitting this week to replace the 2 150w shoplighters and I also have a 400W lowbay I don't know at this stage what bulb I am going to run with it (probably a 20000k with the 2x150w at 14000K)

Well after the great deal I got from Janeyyy with the 3 clowns and the elegance they also gave me the chance to acquire there massive purple tipped Cat as well which is now a feature coral in my tank.

All the corals currently in my tank come from Janeyy and Rods tank which I greatley appreciate.

Sirpix gave me a ring on the weekend and asked if I wanted 4 Chromis for nothing (it was either me or Vebas) and I thought why not.

So the tank currently holds

3 x Clowns (from Janeyy and Rods tank)
1 x Margined Coral Fish
4 x Chromis
1 x Blenny (god knows what type)

I would like to add a Royal Grama and a Flame Hawk I believe my system maybe to small for a yellow tang (more for the wife and kids anyhow)

Any comments on this list would be great.

Newest addition was today once again thanks to Janeyy & Rodd 1 x Burnt Sausage Cuc and a tiger tail cuc I was very nervous adding these two as I had heard horrid stories about the toxic shock they can cause but hey lets see what happens.

Well the only lose to date was a colony of pink Zoanthids but I managed to frag about 4 and they are opening fingers crossed.

Another thing to note the great apastia eradication program of 2007 has finally succeeded it seems. I am not sure whether it is the 2 peppermint shrimp (they have just moulted) the margined coralfish or me with a modified syringe and vinegar which finally turned the tide in my favour. Where I used to see 100's of the little bast34ds I know see 1 or 2.

Well here are some photos (sorry for the crap photography).

Full tank shot.

Some more of Janeyyy and Rod's corals

Ok there are a few others but that should do it for now

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Wed 12 Dec, 2007 6:07 pm

New Lights

250 Left 400 Right will try 250 first.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer