• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

AuS MaDDoG's *Let the Re-Build Begin*

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

AuS MaDDoG's *Let the Re-Build Begin*

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 8:44 pm

Introduction:
By request, here is an up to date profile of where my Tank setup is at as of 21/07/08. I will update this post as things change keeping you all up to speed or should I say those of you, that don't want to read through 30 odd pages of me dribbling on bringing you up to speed.

Full Tank Photo Shot Taken 10/12/08

System Objectives: To have an in wall display tank that is easy to maintain and look after, with a nice select selection of fish and corals with lots of colour and movement.

System Type: Mixed Reef.

Display System:
Strike up Date: Fish Room preparations and renovations started early September 07 with all work being carried out by myself. The fishroom is 3150 x 2350 x 2400mm High, fully tiled to a height of 1100mm with a floor drain and a drain to waste water. The room is also fitted with a 2 door cupboard for storage and a stainless steel wash hand basin and draining board for that all important washing and maintenance of pumps and other equipment.

Display Tank: Tank was Custom built by Maryannes Aquariums and is 2360 x 910 x 750mm High using 12mm thick glass. The tank also has an inbuilt weir to one end and two weir pumping sections for in tank circulation, the tank has 2 braces dividing the surface lighting area into three equal areas, and is strengthed around the top and around the base and all vertical corners with additional glass strips. Tank pics start on page (6) of my Journal.

Display Lighting: 3 x Lumenbright Reflectors fitted with 400w Reeflux 12000k lamps controlled by CoralVue dimmable electronic Ballasts. Controlled using the Profilux controller for on and off only. 12 x 2' Profilux controlled dimmable HO T5's to provide full weather simulations. Lighting pics start on page (22) of my Journal.

Display Moon Lighting: Was using the Fishbowl Lunar cycle Computer controller with 4 x Moontubes. These are going to be replaced with the Profilux LED units controlled by the Profilux to give full day / night and various full weather simulations.

Stand: The stand was Custom built by myself and more info can be found starting on page (2) of my tank Journal.

Lighting Frames: 3 x Light weight 25 x 25 aluminium angle light frames, fitted to aluminum Cowdroy sliding tracks and wheel fittings mounted to the ceiling above the tank. Lights can be slid along the tracks the full length of the fish room and was built and installed by myself. More info can be found starting on page (24) of my tank Journal.

Sump: Sump was Custom built by Maryannes Aquariums and is an all in one unit consisting of a Water in section 200 x 350 x 460mm High / DSB 700 x 350 x 430mm High / Media section 320 x 350 x 430mm High / DSB & Refugium 830 x 250 x 430mm High / Return section 390 x 250 x 460mm High. The overall size of the sump is 1220 x 610 x 460mm High. More info can be found starting on page (10) of my tank Journal.

Refugium Lighting: Aqualina 4 x HO T5 28w controlled using the Profilux controller for on and off only. Photo can be found on page (29) of my tank Journal.

Support systems:
System Water: Natural salt water.

Aquarium Computer Controller: Profilux Plus II EX Computer Controller. Photo can be found on page (26) of my tank Journal.

Display Water circulation: In tank water circulation is provided by 4 x Gen 2 Vortech MPW40's and 3 x 6110 Tunze streams and 1 x X-Wave.

Return Pump: Sump return is an Aquabee 7000 L/Hr which also feeds from the return plumbing to my CA Reactor.

Skimmer: Is an out of sump 1120mm high 150mm dia single Becket Injected Turbo Skimmer, powered by an Aquabee 7000 L/Hr pump.

Evaporation Top Up: Water top up is currently done manually using RO water, However top up will eventually be controlled using the Profilux Controller when I eventually get around to setting it up and purchasing the Profilux pumps.

Water Changes: Natural saltwater changes are conducted manually with no set period, monitoring the tank and its inhabitats is the key to my water changes. Water changes in the near future will eventually be controlled using the Profilux Controller providing more regular smaller changes. Water storage is a 1000Lt IBC.

Chilling: The tank temp is maintained using a 11/2 HP Aqua One Arctic Chiller which is installed outside and plumbed into the fishroom. The chiller is controlled using the Profilux controller. Pumping to the chiller is provided using a Haliea HX 6550 pump.

Heating: 1 x 300w Heater, controlled by the Profilux controller.

Chemical Support:
Calcium Addition: Is provided using a Turbo 520mm High x 150mm dia twin chamber reactor using a ViaAqua 1100 L/Hr circulation pump controlled by the Profilux controller (Always on). The chambers are filled with course coral rubble to the bottom of each chamber with Carib Sea Aragonite on top of that and topped off with A.R.M.

Alkalinity Addition: Alkalinity is maintained as noted above.

Other Chemical Maintenance:No chemical Maintenance at this stage.

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: Undetectable
Phosphates: Undetectable
Alkalinity: 2.7
Calcium: 420
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025 Monitored by the Profilux controller.
Magnesuim: Not tested.
pH 8.2 Monitored by the Profilux controller.
Ammonia Undetectable
Water Temp 26 degrees C, Monitored by the Profilux controller.

END OF EDIT UPDATE

:wavey: :wavey:

Well here we are again with the startings of another Tank Journal for my latest project.
Confirmed Tank size with Dennison from Maryannes Aquariums which will be 2400mm (l) x 915mm (w) x 750mm (h), with super end weir with 3 chambers which will include 20 holes drilled for circulation system and 14 Aqua medic 50mm round grates with a black acrylic cover plate to block out any viewing into the weir area from the front of the tank, there will be two holes drilled in the bottom of the centre section, one 63mm for 50mm bulkhead and one 35mm for 25mm bulkhead, 2 x 320mm Aqua medic overflow combs for surface skimming. Still to confirm if I am going to go with the Pilkington Opticlear for the front viewing panel. Tank will be built in November for installation into wall of the fish room hopefully late November.

:thumbsup: A big thanks to Dennison for helping with the decision making for my new project.

DEMOLITION STARTS
Well, I have started with the demolition works by removing all the cupboards and tiling from the side of the room that will be the tank viewing side, ended up with a bit more work than anticipated due to removing half the gyproc away with the tiles.
Marked out the gyproc ready for cutting.

This shot is taken inside the room which will become the new fish room before any work commencing.

Wall marked out inside the fishroom, so will commence cutting the gyproc to expose the timber studs ready for cutting.

I decided to cut the the tank viewing side first then check the alignment of the inside marks just to make sure everything was aok before cutting the inside.

When I built this room many years ago, and as it was a wet area I used the Aquacheck Gyproc so all is good for the fish room walls.

You can see the PVC air vent for the drain to the vanity unit which went up through the tiled roof, lucky I had some spare roof tiles once the air vent pipe was removed to make good.

As you can see from this next shot removing the tiles from the walls around the cupboards was a tough job with most of the Gyproc coming away with the tiles. The damage can also be seen on the returning wall as well so I think the Gyproc and plastering job has turned out to be larger than expected, but it will be worth it in the end.

Oh man !! I hate Gyproc !! what a mess !! On second thoughts I hate Tiles. :roflmao:

Used a diamond tipped cutter in my 4" angle grinder to cut the tiles, done a great job cut through them like butter. All the alignment was aok.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, Oh sorry its my outside window.

Sorry about the mess, I dont have any cupboards left to put anything in, will fix that one later. :devil:

More light at the end of the tunnel, only in the other direction this time.

And again, more light, and a view of what will be our new relaxing tank viewing area when finished.

Decided to remove all the Gyproc to the tank viewing side of the wall and will replace with new later, my reason for this was that Firstly, it was pretty bad and would have taken some plastering to get it right, secondly, it would give me better access to carry out the timber work required and thirdly, for ease of relocation of the water taps and drain and of course more wiring for more electrical points to be fitted in the fish room. :devil:

Well thats enough for now !! its been a big day. Next I will start framing and strengthening around the opening then it will be the stand inside the fishroom and then new Gyproc and plastering. Thanks and hope you all enjoy seeing the progress so far.

:cheers:
Tony.
Last edited by AuS MaDDoG on Sun 04 Jan, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 106 times in total.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Turbo » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 9:05 pm

Didn't take you long to rip that laundry apart and vacate it ready for the fish room Tony. :devil:

Looking good mate. :clap:
All the best Peter.
Turbo
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 9:12 pm

No time like the present Pete, I dont mess around as you can see, but I do have a long way to go yet. Full reno of the Fish room plus the tank viewing and gymnasium area. So as you can imagine there is a lot of work to do. Will keep me busy and out of trouble I suppose.

:cheers: & Thanks for the post.
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bonkaz » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 9:26 pm

WOW Tony, i cant wait for this one to come about.
What a fantastic start and did you do all this today???

Cheers
Phill
What EVER it takes to get the job done!! :guns:
Bonkaz Reef
bonkaz
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 9:46 pm

bonkaz
WOW Tony, i cant wait for this one to come about.
What a fantastic start and did you do all this today???

I removed the cupboards and the tiling some time ago, today I removed most of the laundry equipment, marked and cut all the Gyproc, then cut all the timber studs.
I suppose this was the messy part and no cost associated with it, so good progress was made. However the rest will probably be a bit slower as I need to buy all the materials to keep going, as well as trying to save for the tank purchase and all the other equipment required, so I guess its going to become a rather large work in progress but we will get there.

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blags » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 10:49 pm

Hey Tony good progress from the looks of it.
With the vent that goes through the roof, just an idea why not use a extraction kit like in the fancy range hoods that extract the smell out to the roof for taking the heat out from the lights. I think you can get a kit from Bunnings.
Cheers
Pete
Happy Reefing
Proud MASQ Member!!

3500Lt New Tank Journal
Old Tank Journal
blags
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Guv » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 10:58 pm

Great stuff Tony! :clap:

...but a pink fishroom? :poke:

:roflmao:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 11:12 pm

blags
Hey Tony good progress from the looks of it.
With the vent that goes through the roof, just an idea why not use a extraction kit like in the fancy range hoods that extract the smell out to the roof for taking the heat out from the lights. I think you can get a kit from Bunnings.

Pete I did think about that myself before I removed it. However felt that one less hole in the roof was a better idea.
I do have ventilation above the window in the fish room so all should be good however if required I can vent through the wall which I much prefer rather than through the roof, I hate penetrations through roofs. Thanks for your thoughts though, what is it they say, Great Minds Think A Like
:cheers: and thanks for your post Pete.

Guv
Great stuff Tony!
...but a pink fishroom?

I was waiting on it :poke: Mmmmmm wonder if you can paint tiles ??? :roflmao: Once the room is painted white and the stand and equipment is in I dont think it will be all that bad :wall: well I hope not anyway :roflmao:

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blags » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 11:38 pm

You can get a paint that goes over tiles and once cured is very long wearing. :thumbsup:
Happy Reefing
Proud MASQ Member!!

3500Lt New Tank Journal
Old Tank Journal
blags

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 11:47 pm

I thought you could pete, but how would it go on the floor ?? The tiles are not actually pink they are a salmon colour, suppose its pretty close to pink though :konk: :konk:

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blags » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 11:50 pm

AuS MaDDoG wrote:I thought you could pete, but how would it go on the floor ?? The tiles are not actually pink they are a salmon colour, suppose its pretty close to pink though :konk: :konk:

Tony.

Should be ok i think you will need to go to paint shop and ask them. It is like the stuff for laminate which apparantly is quite good as well.
Happy Reefing
Proud MASQ Member!!

3500Lt New Tank Journal
Old Tank Journal
blags

Postby minefield » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 2:52 am

AuS MaDDoG wrote:The tiles are not actually pink they are a salmon colour

Atlantic Salmon? :poke:

Mate this is going to be awesome! :bow:
minefield
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 10:08 am

Wowzors Tony. I thought I had a productive day yesterday in striping and relocating my tank as well as hanging the new lights.

Nothing compared to what you have ripped through mate.

WD. I look forward to this 1!!!
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 10:50 am

minefield
Atlantic Salmon? :poke:
Mate this is going to be awesome! :bow:

Well I thought a Salmon colour sounded better for a fish room :roflmao:
Yes will be taking it nice and slow and getting it right for this one, I am really looking forward to it though, "Bring it On"

Rusty1
Wowzors Tony. I thought I had a productive day yesterday in striping and relocating my tank as well as hanging the new lights.
Nothing compared to what you have ripped through mate.
WD. I look forward to this 1!!!

I used to do this sort of stuff for a living years ago, its like riding a bike, once you know how to do it, its easy mate !!
How you going with your set-up now Russ ??
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Nick Marine » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:09 am

WOW Tony great work so far

you must be single,, have a very rare and understanding partner, or the ability to talk your way into anything. or all of above?
Nick Marine
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:21 am

Nick Marine
WOW Tony great work so far
you must be single,, , or the ability to talk your way into anything. or all of above?

And the answer is "B" have a very rare and understanding partner, aint I lucky :devil: I had to say that Gina was reading your post with me at the time :roflmao:

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cam » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 9:12 pm

wow ... you dont muck around.
I was just over maddogs place a few weeks ago when he was showing my the proposed location.
Nothing like getting the saw and chisel out to make sure it does happen.
cam
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Beaker » Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:13 pm

Whoa... nice quick swift work there!

Can't wait to see this in action mate :)
Matt - the laserman.. pew pew
Beaker
Veteran Reefer

Postby bj0075 » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 11:55 am

Tony

You beat me to the TJ post this is the exact same size as what Ive ordered aswell

Also creating a fish room , good luck with your build mate

BJ
bj0075
Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Bandit » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 12:45 pm

Looking awesome Tony.

Time to start saving the ca$h!! I am little disappointed though... looking at that wall you have at least another 2 feet of tank length you could have used :devil: or is that there for the future upgrade :pirate:
Bandit

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guy's, and no one is looking forward to this any more than me :devil: I do have to comment on Bandits post though :roflmao:

Bandit
Looking awesome Tony.
Time to start saving the ca$h!! I am little disappointed though... looking at that wall you have at least another 2 feet of tank length you could have used :devil: or is that there for the future upgrade :pirate:

:roflmao: Noooooooooo more upgrades !! Bandit, for your information the cut out is not at its full length yet it will probably be about another 3 to 4" in either direction wider. However as the weir will be on one end of the tank it will be hidden behind the wall as I dont want to see into the weir or see the pumps placed inside the weir providing water flow back into the tank. The overall viewing length will be approximately 6.5'. I also need room inside the fishroom so that my 1020mm High skimmer can sit to the side of the tank, having the extra room either side will make it far easier for access to everything for servicing. But I must admit it was very tempting :devil:

Anyway thanks for the posts guys and I look forward to keeping you all up to date with the progress.

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby TD » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 9:40 pm

Mate that is what you call a dream tank 7'x3'x2.5' !!!!!!!!!
Now i'm jealous :) That is something that i would luv to do mate. Keep those pics coming.
<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=180897" target="_blank" class="postlink">My Tank Journal</a>
<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=182760" target="_blank" class="postlink">TOTM: August 2007</a>
TD
Centurion Reefer

Postby rainmun » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey Tony,

Mate you really don't muck around!!! I think your fish tank and fish room are going to be awesome, judging by your corner tank!

Just a word of warning against the paint for the tiles, one of my mates has used it on his work shop floor, and the high traffic areas wear very quickly, he has to re paint his floors every year.

Cheers

Dennison
Mary-Anne's Aquarium: 0488 886 228 * http://www.marysaquarium.com.au * sales@marysaquarium.com.au
rainmun
Centurion Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby JDub » Tue 04 Sep, 2007 11:16 am

rainmun wrote:Just a word of warning against the paint for the tiles, one of my mates has used it on his work shop floor, and the high traffic areas wear very quickly, he has to re paint his floors every year.

Cheers

Dennison

:stupid:

The Tile paints are fine for the wall tiles etc but anywhere that gets foot traffic and it will wear away quickly and look crappy.

Nice looking project BTW :clap: :thumbsup:
Sand belongs in Sumps ;)

My Tank Journal - SPS cube system
JDub
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Tue 04 Sep, 2007 7:27 pm

:roflmao: I'm not really concerned too much about the tiles at this stage. More concerned about getting the building works and the tank and equipment set-up right.
The tile thing can be sorted out much further down the track, I'm planning on trying to get some timber this weekend, so that I can start finishing off all the framing and maybe even start the stand. :crossfingers:
So all going well I should have some more pic's posted this coming weekend.

Tony
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 8:36 pm

Tank Update !!

Well thanks to Dennison :thumbsup: @ Maryannes Aquariums my tank has just grown in length from 7' to 7'9" approximately :clap: :clap: so the viewing area will now be 7' with the weir being behind the wall, and for all you metric people tank dimensions will now be 2360mm x 915mm x 750mm High.
It just keeps getting better and better :devil:
Thanks again Dennison :bow:

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cammo » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 10:06 pm

Looking good mate!! :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The ultimate weapon of mass destruction for ANY society is Ignorance."
James Depriest (2003, Nobel Laureate)

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."
- Rod Stewart
cammo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dunny » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 10:33 pm

Mate this is going to be great to watch. That is an awesome size for a tank...keep the pics coming
:thumbsup:
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby cammo » Fri 07 Sep, 2007 12:22 am

just thought id let you know mate there are some very cheap MH lights on this site, might save you some mula on the new tank! :thumbsup:

http://www.aussieponics.com/index.php?a ... =saleItems
"The ultimate weapon of mass destruction for ANY society is Ignorance."
James Depriest (2003, Nobel Laureate)

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."
- Rod Stewart
cammo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Fri 07 Sep, 2007 8:08 pm

Cammo,

Thx for the link mate, however The high bay lights take up so much more room above the tank.
I already have a 400w Low Bay light on my current tank which I am very happy with and will be moving to the new tank when ready, I will probably be adding another two of them to the new tank giving me 3 x 400w's.
Cost is always an issue but I think you are always better having a go at doing it right the first time, and sometimes you just have to wait a little longer to fork out a little extra to get it right.

:cheers: & Thanks for the post.
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)