• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Guv's 800*800*800mm Saltwater Money Sink...[TOTM Jan07]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Guv's 800*800*800mm Saltwater Money Sink...[TOTM Jan07]

Postby Guv » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 6:50 pm

Winner TOTM January 2007
3rd in TOTY 2007

After many, many months of reading about everyone elses tanks... I am finally bored enough to have started my own ;)

This tank has been in the making since December 2005. It was finally wet on the 3rd of June 2006... and received its first fish (a bicolour blenny) on the 30th July 2006...

Some Preliminary Details:

The Tank:
  • 800x800x800mm cube, 12mm standard float glass, strapped only on outer top and bottom edges (no cross bracing) and vertically on corners.
  • Offset internal weir box. Twin DN40 outlets, single DN25 return - all on back wall. Uses a syphon (and durso backup) overflow design.
  • Black silicon joints, clear silicon second bead / vertical strapping
  • Sourced from Paul at Morley Aquariums (who also made my last 4x2x2 which incidentally is still going strong after over 10 years of faithful service). Edit: Rodd sold my old tank to an unsuspecting FW keeper in March 2007 to help fund his system.
  • Took 4 guys and a spotter to get it up my stairs - 112kg...

The Stand:
  • DIY Pine and ply stand
  • 800x800x810mm in size (Don't ask me how I screwed up by 10mm... I just can't answer that one!)
  • 20mm medium density polystyrene foam under the tank
  • No bracing at base of stand design
  • Finished stand is more or less flush with tank on all sides
  • Outside was triple coated in a low-gloss exterior grade acrylic - in charcoal. This included the visible foam under the tank.
  • Inside was triple coated in a full gloss enamel - white.

The Equipment:
  • Lighting: Aquamedic NG60 - 250W w/ 4x24W T5 actinics and integrated 2 channel timer/relay (Thanks Morley Aquariums and DIY upgrade)
  • Return Pump: Eheim 1262 (Thanks APW)
  • In Tank Flow: Tunze TS24 kit (Thanks Fish-R-Us Bunbury)
  • Skimmer #1: Tunze DOC 9020 (Thanks Fish-R-Us Bunbury) - Decommissioned 23rd April 2008
  • Skimmer #2: ATB Conical 'Nano B' with Eheim 1260 needlewheel upgrade (Thanks Aquarium Technik Burian)
  • Fresh Water Topup: Tunze Osmolator (Thanks PADC)
  • Calcium Reactor: Korallin C3001 w/ Tunze CO2 regulator and DIY second stage reactor (Thanks Reef Online / Fish-R-Us Bunbury)
  • Sump: Glass custom design to suit stand/skimmers - 96L (Thanks Fish-R-Us Bunbury)
  • DIY Phosphate and Activated Carbon 'Fluidised Bed Styled' Filters
  • Pod Factory (others like to call these nitrate factories): Eheim Pro3 Cannister - Decommissioned 5th December 2006
  • Heaters #1 and #2: Jager 250W - 2 Off (Thanks APW) - Decommissioned 19th April 2008
  • Heater #3: Schego Titanium 300W w/ Ranco dual stage temperature controller (Thanks Seame.com & RancoETC.com)
  • Ozone Generator: Sander C50 w/ Schego air pump (Thanks aquaristic.net)

The Guts:
  • Substrate: 100kg (150mm main tank DSB) of 'Limesand' - Under 0.85mm diameter crushed shell and coral fragments. (Thanks Cooks Industrial Minerals) - Decommissioned 12th Sept 2009
  • Substrate: Bare Bottom!
  • Live Rock (seed): First few kgs were Angelfish Rock (Thanks Fish-R-Us Bunbury)
  • Live Sand (seed): 5kg (Thanks Ocean Reefs)
  • Live Rock (main): 60kg premium rock - direct pickup from Oceanarium in Quinns Rocks. This is awesome rock... absolutely covered in an assortment of coral and critters...

23rd July 2006: First Rocks
From the left:
From the front:
From the right:

Phew... what an effort. No wonder I had delayed starting one of these for so long :cheers:
Last edited by Guv on Mon 13 Jan, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bonnie3188 » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 6:55 pm

Wow great live rock! Very nice!!
bonnie3188
Centurion Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 7:53 pm

Cheers Bonnie3188 :cheers:

Cycling and Stuff:

With the substrate (DSB) in the tank, we started feeding 1/2 blocks of frozen mysis every couple of days...

After around 2 weeks we added my seed live rock (~2kg of Angelfish rock), along with a few big clumps of sea weed from the local Bunbury Harbour (in an attempt to add pods and other critters to the system). What we managed to do is add a small population of skeleton shrimp (Caprellidae Sp. - an amphipod)...

(These are still going strong and literally number in their thousands now...)

We then left the tank in the capable hands of a neighbour while we went on holiday for three weeks... and as luck would have it, everything was still working when we got back.

Having organised continued feeding of the tank while away, we felt confident that we'd be able to dump a large amount of LR in in a single hit... so had organised with Pete from Oceanarium to have 60kg of premium rock available for immediate pickup on our return.

On collection of the rock - I must say I was VERY impressed with what was offered! The rock is literally covered in coral/macro/coraline - brains, goniopora, turbinaria, various encrusting sp. etc etc... very, very high quality rock. :bow: :bow: :bow:

After putting the rock in - see photos above, (and still having zero readings for NH3, N02 and N03 after around a week - seeing pretty much no die off/cycle), we then added our first fish - a bicolour blenny (Escenius bicolor).

This was followed a couple of weeks later with a pair of wild caught Maroon Clowns (Premnas biaculatus).

Here are a few shots as of the 9th of August:

From the left:
From the front:
From the right:
Maroon male - Bright colour doesn't appear to match his intellect...:
Purple Montipora - Our first purchased coral which instantly extended its polyps and now looks brown :wall: (The skeleton is still a vivid purple...):

And now we are almost up to date... :pirate:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaron » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 7:56 pm

I like it Guv. How much did the glass cost all up?
aaron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:02 pm

aaron wrote:I like it Guv. How much did the glass cost all up?

Tank was just under $700 - but a fantastic finish. (I had been quoted as low as $530 but when you get down to it, the glass is a minimal cost and something not worth skimping on :cop:)

Sump was around $150 all up.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaron » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:35 pm

Wait a minute, did you actually have the tank built or buy the glass and do it yourself? Sorry, Im assumed you built it yourself? :S
aaron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:40 pm

aaron wrote:Wait a minute, did you actually have the tank built or buy the glass and do it yourself? Sorry, Im assumed you built it yourself? :S

Haha - I wish. I had the tank made for me (to my specs):
Sourced from Paul at Morley Aquariums (who also made my last 4x2x2 which incidently is still going strong after over 10 years of faithful service).

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaron » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:40 pm

Sorry guv didnt read it properly :pirate: Does indeed look like a very nice finish. Little expensive but very nice. How many litres?
aaron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:47 pm

aaron wrote:Sorry guv didnt read it properly :pirate: Does indeed look like a very nice finish. Little expensive but very nice. How many litres?

Tank is approximately 500L. Sump approximately 100L. Cannister and other bits and pieces add another 40L or so.

Overall operational water volume I'm guessing at ~550L.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby R0dd » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:30 pm

Looking good gav! Must come down and see it soon!
R0dd
Centurion Reefer

Postby deanp » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:32 pm

Looks great guv :thumbsup:
:cheers:
Dean
deanp
Veteran Reefer

Postby ItDepends » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:39 pm

Wow thats absolutely awesome, stunning. That's the best Avatar ever Rodd.

Oh and the tank looks ok too Guv. :poke:
As a chem eng the first part of any answer is It depends.......
ItDepends
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Manaz » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:51 pm

ItDepends wrote:Wow thats absolutely awesome, stunning. That's the best Avatar ever Rodd.

:roflmao:
Manaz
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby R0dd » Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:03 pm

Haha :D
R0dd
Centurion Reefer

Postby krayzie » Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:58 pm

hey mate did u make that stand

it looks great..
any more pics of the stand?
tredog wrote:If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
krayzie
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Fri 25 Aug, 2006 1:31 pm

krayzie wrote:hey mate did u make that stand

it looks great..
any more pics of the stand?

Thanks. Yes I did - and no you can't have it. :pirate:

<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=163679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=800%2A800%2A&start=0">Read more about the stand here</a>.
Last edited by Guv on Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Kranky » Sat 26 Aug, 2006 12:17 pm

About time we saw the proof of the pudding Guv :pirate:

And very nice it is :thumbsup:
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 26 Aug, 2006 7:21 pm

Bloody fantastic, unique and a wonderful tank! Congrats? Any plans on more fish/corals? If so, what?
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby noely » Sat 26 Aug, 2006 9:29 pm

It was like waiting for the newest release at the video shop. Now that it's in we want to watch something else. :poke:

Just jokes, as the others have said Guv, looking fantastic. :nod: :nod: :nod:

The only thing that seems to be missing is a tank full of sps frags to supply me with once i'm set up. :devil:
¯`·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·..><Noely>·´¯`·..><((((º>
><((( (º>·´`·...¸><((((º>
noely
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Guv » Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words Rodd & deanp... And for the indifference Dan and Rob :poke:

Kranky wrote:About time we saw the proof of the pudding Guv :poke:

Yeah yeah... been a long time coming :nono: - hopefully I can keep up with the journal now that it is started :konk:

StripestheEel wrote:Bloody fantastic, unique and a wonderful tank! Congrats? Any plans on more fish/corals? If so, what?

Now there is a man who knows quality when he sees it :cheers:

Plan is still up in the air wrt more fish... Probably a few coral gobies and a small number of open water (small) fish. Coral plan is predominantly SPS.

noely wrote:The only thing that seems to be missing is a tank full of sps frags to supply me with once i'm set up. :devil:

All in good time...

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bobo » Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:20 pm

Looks good Guv. A full shot of the tank and stand would be good. From what I can see it looks like a piece of modern art :thumbsup:
:cheers: from Ash
bobo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby danger » Mon 28 Aug, 2006 11:34 pm

that stand is fantastic! :bow: awsome design! good to see something different to all the "classic" styles!

im with bobo, bring on the full tank shot with stand!
danger
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Tue 29 Aug, 2006 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words Bobo / Dangerrr.

I think a "full tank and stand" photo will have to wait till I have a bit of a clean up :oops:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Bandit » Tue 29 Aug, 2006 2:24 pm

Noice Guv!!! :clap:
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:17 pm

Cheers Bandit :cheers:

Just a couple of shots Rache took tonight... excuse the 'snow' :poke: (Lots-a-colour not much class):

We definitely need some update shots on Dan's donated frags/colonies ( :clap: ) but these should give some idea of what the glass box is looking like these days... all of 22 days since the last full tank shots... hmmm too fast? :cop:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby danger » Sat 02 Sep, 2006 12:17 pm

hey guv, how are you finding the 1262 return pump? im considering it for my new 4x2x2. enough flow through for you? noise levels?

danger
Veteran Reefer

Postby R0dd » Sat 02 Sep, 2006 9:35 pm

dangerrr wrote:hey guv, how are you finding the 1262 return pump? im considering it for my new 4x2x2. enough flow through for you? noise levels?

His whole tank is VERY quiet! and looks 10x better in real life than in the pics too!
R0dd
Centurion Reefer

Postby Manaz » Sat 02 Sep, 2006 9:38 pm

I just bought a 1262 as a return pump for my tank, this is good to hear! :)

What hosing are you running from the return pump back to the tank Guv? Bunnings have 19mm flexible pressure hose, is that suitable for use on the 1262?
Manaz
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby noely » Sat 02 Sep, 2006 9:40 pm

:withyou: Rodd
:nod: :nod: :nod:
¯`·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·..><Noely>·´¯`·..><((((º>
><((( (º>·´`·...¸><((((º>
noely
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 03 Sep, 2006 5:33 pm

dangerrr wrote:hey guv, how are you finding the 1262 return pump? im considering it for my new 4x2x2. enough flow through for you? noise levels?

G'day dangerrr. I've always been a fan of Ehiems. The 1262 is a very quiet pump that IMO provides plenty of flow for a system my size.

I can't compare to the likes of Ocean Runners (never having owned one) but can tell you that I am extremely happy with Ehiem and will therefore probably continue to purchase them in the future (if necessary)...

Manaz wrote:What hosing are you running from the return pump back to the tank Guv? Bunnings have 19mm flexible pressure hose, is that suitable for use on the 1262?

Hey Rob. With your 1262 you get two hose connectors (one supposedly for inlet (25mm), the other for outlet(19mm)). You'll notice that the threads that fit into the pump are actually identical...

I run the pump submerged (so no need for an inlet hose connection) and use the 25mm connector for the outlet. I use std 25mm vinyl tubing from Bunnings to connect between the pump and a 25mm hose-to-thread 'rural' fitting (which doubles as a union joint) and from there run threaded black HDPE pipe and fittings back to the tank. So far I am getting away with the 'crappy' plastic hose clamps (I use two on each barb connection and they have been tightened using pliers).
Rodd / Leon, thanks again for the kind comments (what was it you wanted again? :cheers: )

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)