• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Plastic plumbing suggestions

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Plastic plumbing suggestions

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:04 am

Hi all,

Not sure if this should go here or equipment, but recently I have taken delivery of 2 x drums for saltwater and I am currently plumbing these permanetly into the house. So far I have gone from the drums to the pump, under the house and have access to the internal cavity of the wall. Any suggestions for pieces/idea's on how to bring the plubming through the wall in the neatest way possible? The outlet is far above the height of the drums so Siphoning back/continual flow once the pump is off is not an issue.

Should I use hard pipe from the wall to the tank or tube? should the outlet be permanetly attached or removable? Any "standard" pieces we can get?

Thanks
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Plastic plumbing suggestions

Postby Andy » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:07 am

What about bulkheads and paint them same colour as wall paint.

Andy
Andy
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mycall » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:32 am

just make the hole as neat as u can and then stick a large metal washer type thing over the pipe and silicone it to the wall, its the same thing they use on ya bathroom and kitchen cabinets where the drain goes through the wood, have a look in yours u will know what i mean. Just an idea :P
"...i was free, i was stripped down to my waist eatin a block of cheese the size of a car battery!.."
mycall
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby glennb » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 1:27 pm

Not clear on your setup or exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Any suggestions for pieces/idea's on how to bring the plubming through the wall in the neatest way possible?

What's material's the wall?

Are you going to have the plumbing run through the cavity and pop out above the display tank?

Is it the plumbing you want to look neat? Or do you mean you want to avoid making a mess of the plaster/brick?

Should I use hard pipe from the wall to the tank or tube? should the outlet be permanetly attached or removable?

Does the tank sit flush against the wall? How far out from the wall will the outlet need to project?

Are you draining water directly from the display tank for water changes?

Photos?

-Glenn
-Glenn
glennb
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 4:58 pm

Not clear on your setup or exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Any suggestions for pieces/idea's on how to bring the plubming through the wall in the neatest way possible?

What's material's the wall?

Are you going to have the plumbing run through the cavity and pop out above the display tank?

Is it the plumbing you want to look neat? Or do you mean you want to avoid making a mess of the plaster/brick?

Should I use hard pipe from the wall to the tank or tube? should the outlet be permanetly attached or removable?

Does the tank sit flush against the wall? How far out from the wall will the outlet need to project?

Are you draining water directly from the display tank for water changes?

Photos?

-Glenn

Sorry Glenn,

the wall is plaster board (plaster about 12mm thick as typically used in Vic). I do want the job to look neat and the plumbing will be coming through the plaster as it is easier to repair should I ever remove the tank. The tank is approx 2 foot of the wall so I will need to come out of the wall, across to the tank and then into the top of it. The draining of the water is not a concern as I already have a system to do this. This is purely for filling the tank. I have had a switch installed inside (light switch) which is actually connected to a power point outside. ie. the outside power point connected to the pump is permenatly turned on. This power point is controlled by the switch inside. I will try and take some photo's tonight.

Cheers
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby glennb » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 5:24 pm

Ok, understood. And you'll drill through the bottom timber wall plate to feed pipe up through the cavity?

-Glenn
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:19 pm

Glenn,

This is a pic along the back of the tank. I hope to bring the pipe out of the wall above the skirt board (undecided if it is just above or at level of top of tank).

Just wondering if anyone had done this "neatly" before and if so, what fittings did they use?

Thanks

Adam
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby glennb » Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:22 am

Picture tells a thousand words.

Won't you have double floor joists directly under the wall behind the tank you want to bring the pipework through?

If you wanted to save patching the plaster down the track you could bring the pipe through at powerpoint height.

-Glenn
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 17 Mar, 2005 8:41 am

Thanks Glenn. Do you know of any "off the shelf" plumbing parts I could buy that would look neat?
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby JDub » Fri 18 Mar, 2005 9:26 am

Thanks Glenn. Do you know of any "off the shelf" plumbing parts I could buy that would look neat?

Simple PVC style plumbing painted to suit the walls....

ahhh and if your into neatness you might want to look at you electrical stuff :poke: :devil: :-D
Sand belongs in Sumps ;)

My Tank Journal - SPS cube system
JDub
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby glennb » Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:50 am

That might be the best you can do. I can't think of anything designed to bring plumbing through plaster. Pretty sure you'd normally just bog it up with hard plaster and not worry how it looks since there'll always be a cabinet, tiles or splashback covering it. If you spent long enough you could get hard plaster look neat. Using a bulkhead like Andy suggests will only work if you can get your arm up into the wall cavity. Mycall's metal washer would work if you find a washer the same diameter as your pipe. A rubber flange could be trimmed to size for the same purpose and would have some give in it to protect the plaster. Or you could try poking something like in the photo below into the hole, would look reasonably neat and offer some protection to the plaster.

-Glenn
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 18 Mar, 2005 2:43 pm

ahhh and if your into neatness you might want to look at you electrical stuff :poke: :devil: :-D

One day, don't want to rush these things :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever heard of or used Camlock for this type of application? I'm thinking of mounting a male camlock onto a blank electrical plate. Then getting a female camlock with a barb and attaching to a piece of flexable hose.

Thanks
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 23 Mar, 2005 2:48 pm

Finally got the part. After weeks of unsuccesful trawling online and numerous phone calls, 5 mins in PPS Carlton saw me walking out with everything I needed. I will take photo's of the parts tonight and post. Other may find this useful as the parts are all plastic. :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby glennb » Wed 23 Mar, 2005 5:19 pm

:clap:

Was wondering when you'd report back. I'll be putting two holes through the wall shortly, so look forward to what you've come up with.

-Glenn
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Tone » Wed 23 Mar, 2005 7:35 pm

Ads, I'm surprised, the parts you need are readily available in any plumbing store, even BBBBBunnnnings or HHHHardware HHHOuse! Chrome wall flange, Mate :-) You can even get them in 'natural' ivory or grey.

Tone :nod:
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 24 Mar, 2005 9:51 pm

Hi Glenn,

To give you an idea of scale, I am using 1" or 25mm plumbing here. The plaster wall will go between the white threaded part and the male camlock. A blank electical plate will be used to mount the camlock to the wall and a flex pice of hose will connect to the barb end on the right. The beauty is if you ever move the tank or want to get rid of the outlet it can look (or function) like a power point and not require plastering/painting.

I will post pics of the complete setup when I get it done (This Easter break I hope :poke:) Image
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Andy » Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:56 pm

Good thinking - especially the cam lock connection.

Andy
Andy
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lewy » Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:13 pm

Where did you source the camlock from ?
New [Cube]
Old [Cube]
Lewy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 28 Mar, 2005 4:50 pm

OK, Here's what the cam lock looks like fitted

NOTE** The female portion is connected to a clear plastic hose and stored away when not in use.

Here is a picture of under the garage where the water tanks are (there is a tap for filling the occasion drum for the seahorse tank)

Just timed a 120 litre water change using the usual method of 6 x 20 litre drums.

Removing water - 7 minutes.
Filling water - 15 minutes.

I will do another change next weekend using the new tanks. Hopfully it will be down to about 10 minutes total :crossfingers: Add to this I don't have a 2 hour round trip to get the water and I'm going to have more time for :cheers: on the weekend (just like it should be).

JDub - Now for the electrical :thumbsup:

Lewy - I got the cam locks from Plastic Plumbing Supplies - I believe they mail order. The cam lock (male and female) and thread/pipe converter cost around $30 (1" fittings). PM me if you want the part number and I'll look it up for you.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby rgh » Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:51 pm

Brilliant execution - really neat. I've been watching this thread and thinking why is this guy making it so hard for himself - then I see what you've ended up doing and wow, well worth it! Inspired to do a little more plumbing for my water changes now. What size pump are you using? Are you using the one line to fill & drain the tank or are you installing another cam lock? How are you filling your storage tanks? Thanks for getting me thinking!
ROB!
Cheers,
Rob

Got a reefing question? Check out RTAW Reefpedia

My new 1200x600x440mm shallow mixed reef
rgh

Postby JDub » Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:56 am

Looks great Ads, well done, very neat job :clap:

Im with rgh though, curious as to how you fill the drums (you state you no longer collect NSW, I assume you are having it delieverd).
what kind of head height are you pumping up to the tank?

Addit: and how are you removing the old water from tank? are you doing it manually or do you have a system in place for that too?
Sand belongs in Sumps ;)

My Tank Journal - SPS cube system
JDub
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 29 Mar, 2005 11:18 am

Rob and JDub,

I have having the water delivered. I could equally collect it myself, but that would mean yet another drum and more complex plumbing to backfill the drums and a tralier which has to be stored somewhere. The price of delviery isn't really that much and when you factor in fuel to go to the LFS it's actually cheaper (not to mention the time again :thumbsup:).

The pump is a 1HP ONGA (LTP750S from memory, but I can confirm if you need). It has a head of around 3m+ so it was a little high for a conventional powerhead.

Currently I use a 20mm pipe connected to a long hose. This runs (when needed) from the tank, out the front door and into the drain. I am considering putting a permanet connection similar to the one for filling into plasce as I can easily access waste drains under the house, but for the moment there are bigger fish to fry (not to mention I want a bigger tank :poke:)

I still need to replace the "control" switch with a switch that has a key lock fitted so little fingers don't pump 2000+ litres onto the floor.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 05 Apr, 2005 12:35 pm

OK, last post from me for this thread. Did another change last night. After empting 120 litres out:

120 litres in < 30 secs = more time for :cheers: = :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scuba-galaxy » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 4:20 pm

So have u got a drain hole in your sump or is it just drain the water was its filling up. I was thinking bout doing the same but have it plumbed into the sump so i drane so many lts then fillup. But Would just be easier just top up. Have the connection and the power switch up near the tank.
scuba-galaxy
RTAW Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 8:13 pm

scuba-galaxy wrote:So have u got a drain hole in your sump or is it just drain the water was its filling up. I was thinking bout doing the same but have it plumbed into the sump so i drane so many lts then fillup. But Would just be easier just top up. Have the connection and the power switch up near the tank.

I'm still draining via a bit of hose into the sink.

However when I get my butt into gear I will drani straight from the tank to waste (I already have a 3 way valve fitted so the return can be set to pump water from the storage tanks).

Ideal would be to drain into the sump and have a bulkhead in the sump at a max line that is permanetly connected to waste.

Drain into sump, sump reaches max line and drains to waste.

Failsafe to.

If the valve on the drain to sump failed the DT would run low, however would never run dry. The sump would continue to run into DT and DT would drain into sump via failed valve (if that makes sense).

And yes, I have a key lock switch next to the pump which controls power tot he power point that the pump below is connected to.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby aaron.miller » Sat 14 May, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi macca,
Sorry to drag up an old thread but wandering what type of pipe are you using from the floor below the garage to the wall socket.

Aaron
aaron.miller
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 15 May, 2011 12:42 pm

aaron.miller wrote:Hi macca,
Sorry to drag up an old thread but wandering what type of pipe are you using from the floor below the garage to the wall socket.

Aaron

No probs. It's 50mm pressure pipe from the IBC's to the pump and then 25mm pressure pipe from the pump tot he cam lock. Standard fittings and available anywhere.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion