• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Aantrekliks 3'*2'*20"

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Aantrekliks 3'*2'*20"

Postby aantreklik » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:17 pm

Well I am about to move to far north QLD... going to set up a 3ft*2ft*20" tank with a 4ft*16*18 sump (don't laugh). I have gained so much inspiration from all the tank journals on here that I decided it is time to stop being a leech and add some (hopefully) inspiration of my own!

I will start with an equipment list and then take photos as time goes on.

I have ordered the aquarium tank through absolute aquariums. Custom made with holes drilled midline in one end at 4 inches and one at 10 inches from the top, both to accomodate 25mm bulkheads. Bottom hole will be for siphon, top hole for drain if the siphon isn't able to keep up for any reason.

Return will be via a Aquaone 106 powerhead at a head height of 1.5m via 19mm hosing connected to 15mm pressure pipe overtank. Having trialled this setup already that gives me a flow rate just shy of 2000L/hour. Additional flow will be given by powerheads within the tank, two 103 powerheads (1500l/h), one at the base and one at the top both on the same side as the return, although the retun will be pointed towards the centre of the tank. Live rock will be piled up in the middle of the tank at the end of the overflow box and taper away giving about 15-20cm of no liverock structure at the outside end of the tank. This is so the tank is visible from both sides as it will be the barrier between the kitchen and dinning room in my new place.

Filtration will be mainly liverock with 50mm live sand in base of display, and a refugium occupying 2ft of sump, with phosphate removers and jebo-180 protein skimmer also in sump (don't knock the jebo-180... in my experience they work fairly well..) Other equipment so far include 2x300W heaters in sump and a quad T5 octopus 4000 pendant with two actinics and two 20,000K octopus bulbs (picked up the unit today... it is fantastic). Also includes blue LED's as moon lights... but I think I might not end up using these...

Maintainance will be weekly 20% waterchange (will be living close to the ocean and probably pumping water in on a self assesable, low impact aquaculture code- also going to be growing out barracod for personal consumption... yum... )

Current stocking list to include occelaris clownfish, mandarin pair, 6 bangaii cardinals, pair of sunrise dottybacks and other broodstock fish as I find them!

Will also include bubbletip anemones (same ones webmentor has for sale in Newcastle... great anemones... clonally propagating and look great!) bubble coral, some zoos, morphs, fluro green hammer coral and see what else I find to breed and frag up there!.

Photos and updates to follow
aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby aantreklik » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:32 pm

aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby aantreklik » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 7:49 pm

PVC in the front righthand section of the sump are for breeding sunrise dottybacks.
aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 9:29 pm

Will be looking forward to seeing the breeding side of the Tj:)
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby SaltwaterTankLover » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:27 am

Cool:)

I will be watching this TJ with interest:)

-Matt
SaltwaterTankLover
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby aantreklik » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:30 am

Well... today I pick up my tank and finish painting the stand that will be dissasembled again for transport... the tank looks fantastic... as does the Octopus unit! I'll take my camera with me to take photos... looks like the sump is going to have to be made as a mirror image due to the position it will be in the new house... damn bangaiis won't stop breeding for me to fatten them up for transport... every time i turn around the male has a new mouthful... I strip him and a week later hes carrying again!
aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby tomorrows_angel » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 4:44 pm

Should be interesting to see how your breeding program works, Jared.

What prompted the move up north?
Kathryn :)
tomorrows_angel
Veteran Reefer

Postby aantreklik » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey Kathryn... decided to move up north since you don't come shopping at my old work anymore! :poke: lol... haven't seen you round for a bit...

Moving for a job in an aquaculture venture up there... going to be lots of fun!

As for updates... stands are almost completly built and I have a tank and siliconing is done!

aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 9:03 pm

Ahhhh the dream job hey :) Well done
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

aantrekliks 3*2*20"- WARNING PHOTOS!- new as at 8/9

Postby aantreklik » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:23 pm

Finally back online... thanks bigpond... :konk:

here are a few photos from set up... haven't taken any since everything has settled yet as I am still unpacking boxes... didn't lose anything thankfully!

and the view from 50 m from my house

aantreklik
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:33 pm

Good to hear everything made it okay

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Did you keep the mandarin pair or sell them before the move?
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)