• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Macca's 8x2x2 - all gone :-(

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Macca's 8x2x2 - all gone :-(

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 3:50 pm

Well, it's about time to start a tank journal. After having my existing tank for about 7 years now and surviving a house move, I've noticed an issue with one of the silicone joins.

What a panic.

Got pricing last weekend on a new replacement last week so will be ordering it tommorow.

I'll have to try and take some pics as we move the contents out of the old tank, empty it, move the tank, move the new one onto the stand, re-stock and refill it. Boy that's going to be a full day.

I've decided to keep the same size (8x2x2) so I can re-use the cabinet and stand. I'll design a few things differently. And I-ll re-use the current 8x2x2 as a sump under the house in the near furture.

When I first got the tank it had a box wier about 2/3 the way along. This was like sitting under a waterfall. Filled the colom with Bio-balls and wadding (yeah thanks for that good advice to the shop who shall remain nameless). Stocked the tank with heaps of fish on theadvice of the shop after cycyling only to have most of them die off. So much for stocking slowly. :furious:

Time to change LFS. this is when I went over to REEFlections (then under Kent's management). I always found the advice to be good and the stock to be top notch. The shop could have done with a clean up though :poke:. Once Ernie took over the shop had a major clean up and I still found the staff as freindly and knowledgable as ever.

Anyway, one the tank is stocked nothing further to spend really - or so I thought.

Moved the tank to my house from Mum's. While it was empty I had the weir removed and installed a in tank sump. This is what is failling now after some 5 years.

After moving from Mum's into my own house, I decided that doing water changes out of 20l drums wasn't the way to go either (refilled the tank out of drums to :roflmao: )

That's when I installed 2 x 1000 litre IBC with plumbing to auto fill the tank.. And here we are.
Last edited by Macca_75 on Sun 22 Apr, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 9:18 pm

Anyway here's a photo of the old tank in it's last week with just the actinics on.

Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:27 pm

Good luck with it all Adam - hope it all goes to plan.
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby starfunker » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:39 pm

That looks good!

Can I have it?
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:26 am

Tank has been ordered and expecting delivery sometime next week. Hopefully all going well I will be swapping them over next weekend (19 or 20/4).

Order the rest of the plumbing from Dural's online yesterday. Going with a 40mm Durso, 40mm syphon and 25mm return.

Looking forward to a big day aquascaping :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 17 Apr, 2008 2:52 pm

All the plumbing arrived yesterday. I've also been speaking to REEFLections and are hoping to have the tank on Saturday.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 17 Apr, 2008 9:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing how you plumb this up ;) I saw your other thread on the plumbing of the tanks, sweet set up mate :thumbsup:

So what are you planning to stock?

Chris
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 9:04 am

Just had a sneak peak of my new tank yesterday. All I can say is wow - it has to be one the the best finished tanks I've seen. Kudos to Ernie :clap:

Unfortunatley the wier only had 2 holes (1 for a 25mm bulkhead and 1 for a 40 mm bulkhead. I need another 40mm bulkhead).

Heard back from Ernie that night - it should be fixed and the tank ready today. Can't ask for better service than that. :cheers:

Pics to follow today I hope.
Last edited by Macca_75 on Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:33 pm

As promised Ernie has delivered the new tank with the fixed wier and additional hole drilled.

Here's a few quick happy snaps. For anyone considering buying a new tank and where quality of workmanship counts, all the top of the tank and bracing is polished and beveled - standard. Few places will give you that :cheers:

Anyway, we've all know what an empty tank looks like.

Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 6:58 pm

Managed to get a start on the plumbing today. First the bulkheads followed by a quick leak test. I only put 1 cm or so of water in to test

A) The bulkheads were sealed properly
B) The bottom of the wier was sealed from the main tank properly.

Both passed with flying colors.

Time to make the durso, drain and return pipe. Whilst putting this together I found that the top brace was over the 40mm bulkheads, thus not allowing a traditional shape durso. As I wanted the drain to be off the bottom I had to mod the shape of the durso. It should do the same thing. Modding the shape of the durso meant I had to also "bend" the return, using 2 x 45 angles. I put a threaded connection at the top of the return pipe (which will actually be about 1/2 up when fully plumbed) so I could pull the whole thing apart. Only joints below the level of the drain have been glued - the rest are slip on/off for cleaning, clearing, etc if needed.

I still need to drill the hole in the cap for the durso. As the cap is not glued, I will drill a hole in the cap (on the top as it sits) and 1 in the 40mm pipe that comes out of the tee (where the cap slips onto). That way I can turn the cap around to adjust the size of the hole. ;)

Tomorrow I'll fill the wier up to just under the drain. Hopefully nothing leaks :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Tone » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 9:44 am

That is a very interesting designer durso ... why not standard with the T mounted straight on to the standpipe in place of the elbow? The the cap fits on top of the T and the elbow is fitted to the leg of the T. Takes up far less real estate in the weir.

Run the water in your weir as high as possible or you risk noise of the water crashing over the weir baffle.

I assume that the standpipe on the right is your 'emergency' overflow? In that case lift it to a level just above the invert of the T ... that means that the overflow will only operate if the durso standpipe is constricted and the level in the weir rises. This should happen if there's an interruption (power off) and the weir drains to its low point ... when the interruption is cleared, the the water rises and restarts the durso syphon and in doing so must rise above the leg of the T ... this is an important instance where the 'emergency' overflow will take some water. If the e'-overflow is too low, then the durso will struggle to get going again as the e'-overflow takes over as the main source of flow.

Tone :thumbsup:
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Guv » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 3:22 pm

Tone, in this case I think the durso is actually the backup. The line to the right is the main siphon to be restricted by a valve - as per viewtopic.php?t=168430

I do agree though that it is a rather interesting shaped durso!

Adam, you may find that just replacing the durso with a second standpipe similar to the siphon would suffice - it is only going to get a dribble down it, so won't make a lot of noise. It will also allow your return to be as 'kink-free' as possible to reduce pressure drops.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Tone and Guv,

Guv know's what I'm thinking. That's why the one on the right is lower - it's a drain (syphon) restricted by a valve and the durso is the backup. The only reason for the odd shaped durso is the bracing sits above the hole a little when looking straight down (see previous photo's). In order to have the traditional shaped durso I would need to run the water level in the wier lower, hence more noise as the water crashes over the top of the weir.

I'm thinking of re-arranging the pieces slightly so the durso balances better.

It would be the T of the Tee on the standpipe, a cap at one end and an elbow at the other. On the elbow would be the filter. Same pieces as I currently have, different order.

Anyway, I've leak tested the sump and all is well.

Ready to go now - just need to sucker a few people around for a days work transferring stock into boxes, empting tank, replacing tank and restocking. :thumbsup:

Also going to have to do the plumbing underneath once the tank is on the stand and the sump is in - can't do that before hand. Just going to have to run sumpless for 24hrs while the glue dries, etc. :wall:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:02 pm

Good to hear the leak test have worked out thus far :thumbsup:

Good luck with the helpers, but nothing a BBQ and few beers wouldn't fix ;)
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 04 May, 2008 11:22 pm

Fionally it's done and dusted (for now).

After about 7 hours (not including cleaning up) the tanks have been changed. I tried to keep a stock list as I went but it got a little busy.

Please forgive any spelling mistakes - It's been a long day & I'll go back and edit this post later :konk:

Fish:
3 x Pyjama Cardinals
1 x Pseudochromis
1 x Flame hawk
1 x Kliens
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
3 x Perc Clownfish
1 x Sailfin tang
1 x Blue tank
1 x Scopas tang
1 x Coral Beauty

About 110 Kg's of rock (live rock but looks more like base rock)

Numerous Leathers, Corals, Morph's, Zoo's, etc.

Anyway here's a couple of happy snaps.

Before we start it's all nice and clean

Some of the Coral's are out

Most of the rock is out

and the fish have a new home in a temp tank on the front porch

Time to get rid of what's left

Out with the old

In with the new

and when we asked our biggest critic what he that he had a word - Beautiful

I'll try and some more updates when the tank settles down.
Last edited by Macca_75 on Mon 05 May, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 05 May, 2008 11:58 am

Great effort - must have been a very long day! :thumbsup:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 05 May, 2008 11:22 pm

OK, 24 hours later and all the fish except the Pseudochromis have been found.

On the most part they look fine, except the Kleins and 1 x Pyjama seem to be developing Pop-eye.

The water seems to be stable at 26 - 26.2 deg C.

Murphy's law 1 one of my timers for the MH have died.

There also wasn't enough clearance from the bulkhead to the sump and it was looking like a complex "S" bend was going to be need on all 3 bulkheads just to get it in. Luckily I managed to et the sump out, turn it around and put it back in (it doesn't have bracing all the way so I can drop the return lines straight down now).

Fingers crossed the pop-eye fixes itself and I don't have any other losses.

RIP the Pseudochromis :wall:

Tomorrow I hope to get the return's glued and in and the pumps underneath.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:37 am

Macca_75 wrote:OK, 24 hours later and all the fish except the Pseudochromis have been found.

On the most part they look fine, except the Kleins and 1 x Pyjama seem to be developing Pop-eye.

RIP the Pseudochromis :wall:

Guess who showed up - the Pseudochromis. :thumbsup: He'd just been hiding for a few days.

The Kleins eye has cleared up but 1 eye on 1 PJ still looks infected. Hopefully it'll come good.

I managed to get the plumbing for the syphon/drain and durso in - only 15 minutes work in total.

Now for the return pump :nut:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CT_Reefer » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:54 am

Looking good mate. I would've bought your old tank, but the wife would leave me for sure.

Are you planning to keep the livestock as is?
CT_Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:59 am

CT_Reefer wrote:Looking good mate. I would've bought your old tank, but the wife would leave me for sure.

Are you planning to keep the livestock as is?

Thanks CT_Reefer

No - I want to add a few small wrasses when the tank settles down a bit.

My wife also wants to add a clam and Bangaii's are my fav so they're probably the first I'll add.

I'll also be adding a sandbed again - I can't reuse my existing one as I didn't want to create any mini -cycles. Pity that as it's full of life.

Then there's the new pumps I hope to be able to afford, not to mention the skimmer. The list goes on. :wall:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 11 May, 2008 10:09 pm

Last night I got the plumbing completed and the sump turned back on. I also got my skimmer working agin this morning.

I noticed last night that the Blue tang appeared to be "stuck' under some rocks (at the bottom of the pile of course). After removing a heap of rocks the tang swam free only to dive under some other rocks.

To cut a long story short tonight I have lost both the blue tang and Flame hawk. I also can't find the Psuedo again. :furious:

The skimmer is going nuts so I hope this has not had anything to do with the premature death of these fish...

RIP the FlameHawk an Blue tang. Both added to the tank in different ways and will be missed.

Fingers crossed I won't lose any more and I can fix whatever is the issue with the tank..
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby katmurphie24 » Fri 16 May, 2008 7:26 pm

wow!!!
*~LOVE, LIVE, LAUGH, LEARN~*
katmurphie24
Centurion Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 19 May, 2008 10:21 am

Sorry for the Pic quality.

Here's a few updated shots now the tank seems to be settling down.

Moonlights (I coudn't get the camera to get the right level of blue. I'll try to borrow a better camera and see if I can get more accurate colors).

Centre Halide on first

I don't have a pic of the second halide on but it is on the RHS. I have left the left with no halide as this will eventually just be open swimming space. The tank is braced so I can add a third halide in the future if I want.

Sump (Front)

And some of the sump plumbing from the rear

Still to do this week

1) Move heater to sump
2) Move 2 powerheads from LHS of tank to behind bommie in the centre.
3) Drill durso cap and add. This isn't really an issue as the standpipe is quiet anyway but I've got the plumbing there so why not
4) Move the rubble from the LHS and try to throw it into the general aquascape
5) Mod hood to remove 1 of the centre braces so I can slide centre halide into the centre.
6) Tidy and hide all electrical cords from the back of the tank

In the not to distant future

- Replace power boards with individually switchable powerboards.
- Consider 2nd heater for backup.
- Slowy add sandbed
- Replace some of the stock I lost and a few new additions. I am considering a pair of Bangaii, flame hawk, a few Peppermint Shrimp, a small wrasse or 2. I also wouldn't mind a few more tangs. Not to mention to corals - I need frags :pirate:

In the way off future.
- Replace SEIO's with Tunze
- Replace old skimmer with new model. Although underrated and old design, this skimmer seems to pull some excellent skimate.

The water is arriving at lunch today so hopefully I can do a water change tonight as well. That should help a little.

When I borrow the better camera I'll try and get some close ups.

Also, no more deaths. All fish seem to be doing fine. :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

It didn't take long for the first fish to go into the wier.

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 9:51 am

Last night I found the lawnmower sitting in the wier.

Hood off, under 20 secs to catch him and problem solved.

One of the advantages of having a large wier I suppose - easy access to get fish out..

I borrowed a camea and managed to get about 5 shots off before the battery went flat. :konk:

I have to re-borrow the camera again next week and get some pics up.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Macca's 8x2x2 pic on 02-07-2008

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 10:09 pm

Here's a few snaps of some of the inhabitants

The ever shy female clowny
Can anyone tell me if this coral is healthy (lighter red) or losing it's color (the darker red). It is slowly turning to the lighter red (under actinics the lighter red glows a beautiful green)
This siz line is a little hard to get a shot of because he moves so quick.
and these guys have started breeding again so the tank params must be OK.

That's about it for now.

Next, the sandbed (crushed marble). It's a pretty safe bet that the tank has finished any mini cycle now.[/img]
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 1:20 am

Looking good Adam! - yeah those sixlines can be tricky to get a crisp photo of! :roflmao:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby go_wakeboard » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 6:06 pm

Sweet tank mate!
"Let's get to lootin'" Bender B. Rodriguez
go_wakeboard
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 9:30 pm

Things have been going well until now.

R.I.P

On the 15th I lost my Coral Beauty. He was damaged during the tank move a few months ago. He always seemed to have trouble remaining bouyant (sinking similar to a Flame Hawk) however he fed well and looked fine - until a few days ago. I noticed he appeared to be gasping and not moving much. The next day - Gone. Never to be seen again. I don't really know how old he was as he was at a full grown size when I got him and I've had him for about 5 years or so.

On a more positive note I have started adding crushed marble. I decided to go with 00 as the size.

Here a pic before adding the first bag.
And then about 10 minutes after.
and finally by the next day everything seems to have settled down.

I might leave it a week or so before adding the next bag. I am going to have to order some gobies though to try and keep it reasonably clean.

If only Fishbowl would answer my quieries - then the moon lights could come :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 pic on 02-07-2008

Postby bubbleboy » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 9:41 am

Great Set-up Adam :thumbsup:
I just notice on one of the pic with PJC, those blob on the glass, are they what i think they are ... Flatworms (Red Planaria) ? ??
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 pic on 02-07-2008

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:10 am

bubbleboy wrote:Image

Great Set-up Adam :thumbsup:
I just notice on one of the pic with PJC, those blob on the glass, are they what i think they are ... Flatworms (Red Planaria) ? ??

Yeap. Seems I have a bit of an issue ATM.

Any known tried and true methods to fix it you know of? I have beaten them off before by reducing lights and feed for some time, but since switching over to the new tank they seem to have come back.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)