• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Buster 4 x 2 x 2 Tank Journal [Winner TOTM October 2009]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Buster 4 x 2 x 2 Tank Journal [Winner TOTM October 2009]

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:18 pm

Edit: Update

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date:

April 2008

Display Tank:

4x2x2 with a centre overflow (aqua medic comb incl).

Display Lighting:

2 x LumenBright Reflectors with 12,000K Reeflux Globes

Stand:

The frame is a 45 x 90mm Timber Stud Covered in MDF Panels.. This was made by Myself and ipainted up in a high gloss Ivory White Oil Base Paint.I

Hood:

MDF Hood with Piano Hinge Door. Supporting Lumen Brights

Sump:

I Built the sump from an Old 3 x 18 x 14 Tank i had laying around.
I had 4 peices of glass cut in order to make the Refugium and Return area. I am currently using a shitty Ikea Light on it atm but will look to upgrade soon enough.

Support systems:

System Water:

Natural salt water and Auto Gravity Fed Top up with RO

Display Water circulation:

1 x 6060 Tunze Stream with 2 return lines from sump

Return Pump:

Eheim 1261

Skimmer:

Turbo Custom Built Beckett Skimmer
Skimmer type:External type
1 Meter Tall Beckett

Evaporation Top Up:

Rigged up a Stefani float valve connected to a 25L Drum filled with RO

Other Equipment

1 x 300W Jager Heater
1 x RO Phosfusion 1000 Module
1 x Aqua Medic Sulphur Reactor
1 x Aqua Medic Hydrocarbonate Reactor
1 x Leguna Maxflo Skimmer Supply pump (9000lph)

Chemical Support:

Manual dosing of all chems at this stage.

- Turbo Calc
- Kalk in RO water
- CoralLife - Gumbo
- Advantage Magnesium
- Marine Buffer
- Kent Iodine
- Kent Strontium and Molybdenum
Last edited by busterant on Sun 04 Oct, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 31 times in total.
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:20 pm

Old Tank...wayyy back in may last year...before a skimmer and light upgrade

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:26 pm

Tank Arrives....mmm centre overflow...

removable overflow combs on order...(so i can keep everything clean)

Old 3 x 18 x 14 FW tank i used to run. (top supports a problem for sump)

Removed top supports to build into sump (nightmare, used hacksaw blade)

I order some glass to be cut, picked it up an hour later and siliconed them in. 3 at once, then the last the next day.

Came up perfect. Saved $110 :thumbsup:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:41 pm

Alot of previous stand builds on masa have shown some pretty narly workmanship. i however have choosen a different approach. Below is a frame i made up for the tank and sump.

As you can see. Entire frame is made out of 45 x 90 Pine. Nailed gunned to get in place, then leveled and screwed with gal 70mm screws.

The frame itself didnt need to be to flashy, as its just a frame. The entire frame is now at a cabinet maker being sheeted in MDF which will be sealed over and over again and polished to a high gloss. piano hinge doors are being installed to the front spanning the entire length of the front tank. There will be no wood stained finish as it would not suit the rest of the house so a more modern finish will be applied to the cabinet. Sharp edges, flat surfaces, 'tight' finishes.

The Panels will overhang the top of the frame 30mm for the tank to sit in. Chrome ventalation panels will be put into the side panels.

note: a matching hood is in the process of being made with much smaller timber and will be finished in matching sheets and finish.Will post soon
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:42 pm

Skimmer arrives :cheers: <----

*Decided to go with an AUstralian seller of octopus. My old skimmer was bought off guppy and i felt bad that someone in australia has paid for the rights to sell Octopus and someone online is importing and selling it cheaper which is fine but i found a bit unfair for the oz dude. I also like the 5 year warranty that comes with the Australian product....plus it only cost $10 more* but...good luck to both parties. Guppy and Octopus Seller provide good services and products.
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:51 pm

Painting the Back of the tank. (Accent Cypriot Blue if anyone is interested)
Applied with a roller

Coat 1: (As you can see its very streeky and was transparent in parts)

tic toc tic toc tic toc

Coat 6!!: (much thicker now. None transparent even with lights on it)

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:57 pm

Plumbing begins:

Without stand back yet i havent been able to plumb the sump. But i have plumbed the durso overflow and ball valve taps to the underside as well as the return. Choosen to T valve the return for added flow and movement in the tank. Tested with the 2000lph pump that came with skimmer and worked well but will pump much faster with the eheim.

Next: Hood Build. Stand return. Sump Plumb :thumbsup:

Thanks for watching

ant
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby pazz » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 8:34 am

goin to be an awesome looking tank goin off your other one , keen to see how you plumb it up need some ideas for my tank , with cutting the brace of the sump the stanley knife would of worked a treat .
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:27 pm

hey pazz, thanks for the words. I tried a stanly knife originally but u cant get in deep enough. Plus sometimes its so tight the hacksaw blade shaves some of the glass off if need be.

Got word today that the stand is ready to be picked up.

Updates to come.

ant
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fishrock » Mon 25 Feb, 2008 7:36 am

it looks like the top of your durso will be underwater?
or is that just the pic?
adam
UFO 880, Tunze 6045, 2x resun wavers, 2 sumps with DSB's and fuges, 250w 20K halide and 4x24w T5's - 2 fiji purple 2 actinic.
fishrock
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Mon 25 Feb, 2008 8:17 am

fishrock wrote:it looks like the top of your durso will be underwater?
or is that just the pic?
adam

The Dorso sets the height. It is in the weir.
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Mon 25 Feb, 2008 9:31 pm

:withyou: The durso does set the height of the water level, however looking at this one, the water level is quite a bit lower than the top of the weir which means it may still have a fair bit of water noise as the water flows over the top of the weir.
The higher the durso the less water noise you are likely to encounter, IMO I would make the durso a bit higher.

:cheers:
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks tony, thats what i started this thread for. I have only roughed in the pumbling so i can swap and change anything i want at this stage. I added some height to the durso. Better height but now i will have to modify my return as the durso is now in the way...hmmm.

Stand and hood are ready to be picked up...will do so when i finish work a little early this week.

:bow:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fishrock » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 3:35 pm

AuS MaDDoG wrote::withyou: The durso does set the height of the water level, however looking at this one, the water level is quite a bit lower than the top of the weir which means it may still have a fair bit of water noise as the water flows over the top of the weir.
The higher the durso the less water noise you are likely to encounter, IMO I would make the durso a bit higher.

Tony.

thanks, your right but with too much water flow over the weir it may. i also was concerned with the noise.
the water level in my weirs has only ever been 2cm max below the tank level.
adam
fishrock
Veteran Reefer

Postby busterant » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:21 pm

Got the stand back today!!! Sheeted in MDF.

So here it is without handles and without any cutouts yet. Now let the many many many coats of sealant/undercoat and then high gloss enamel begin. Matching hood arriving next week :thumbsup:

Frame work i made up

After sheeting

Starting to undercoat and seal tonight. Cut out for bulkheads is already made but i took picture before i did it...woops.

More pics to come very soon!!
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 9:09 pm

Was thinking about your durso, :think: you could always put a couple of 45 degree bends in the vertical pipe to move the durso out the way of your return, just a thought.

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm

hey mate. problem is already fixed. I put a 90 degree bend at the top, where the T was. Then this went directly into the T section and ran it same way. Just behind the durso. The 90 angle gave me that extra bit of clearance. Then again, 2 45 dergee peices in the uprise would probably not restrict the flow pressure from the return as much. Might play around with this a bit.

Now the stand is here i can get the tank on, sump in, and plumb the rest of the system. Narly. Also finally got my aqua medic overflow combs. Good idea. Glue the base of them onto the overflow and u can remove the combs as they get dirty and clean them. SWeet
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 8:45 pm

Undercoating and sealing begins....

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 9:00 pm

:thumbsup: Lookin Good!!

Are you sure you want to have a lip / edge all the way around the top of the stand, can make things a little hard getting the tank in place. Some times its easier to slide the tank on to the stand, and two, getting it back off again can be easier to slide off allowing a better grip if you ever wish to move it.
JMO but like I said its lookin Great.

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks mate. Yer i know what you mean. i didnt actually want a lip on the back edge. i didnt even want MDF on the back cause i didnt see the point but never mind, it came back from the cabinet makers like that and he did it for free anyway so i cant complain. with the poly down it wont be much a lip anyway. Where there's a will theres a way.

Few more coats till i get it a high acrylic white......heaps....
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mxett » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 7:34 am

Looking great!
Mxett
Veteran Reefer

Postby pazz » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 7:47 am

wow standslooks nice as , how are you goin to apply the acrylic ? one tip put it on in thin coats as if you put to much on will run, good luck with it .
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 9:54 am

busterant wrote:Skimmer arrives :cheers: <----

*Decided to go with an Australian seller of octopus. My old skimmer was bought off guppy and i felt bad that someone in Australia has paid for the rights to sell Octopus and someone online is importing and selling it cheaper which is fine but i found a bit unfair for the oz dude. I also like the 5 year warranty that comes with the Australian product....plus it only cost $10 more* but...good luck to both parties. Guppy and Octopus Seller provide good services and products.

You will be happier if something does go wrong at least Octopus will cover any faults and their after sale service is outstanding and IMO the build quality is better then the one imported through China.

Great looking set-up so far

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey guys, so with what little time i have to work on my tank with work, i have been able to get the stand up and running. I have 1 more coat to do on the outside which i can do at anytime as im not setting up the tank for a while but here is how its looking.

-2 Coats of sealant undercoat
-4 coats of Aquacover High Gloss Acrylic in Off White.
-Drilled and attatched some Squarde D Shape handles.

Wanted to get the tank and stand out of the factory so its new home is in the offices where i have been able to plumb the sump and even run some fresh water through the system to see how it goes. Havent filled it up completely yet but i was able to see how some of the equiptment works.

I put a layer of mat down on the inside. its actually tredmill canvas which is really hardy and will be easy to wipe down in the event of spilage.

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 7:00 pm

The sump atm looks like this. I just put the return pump (eheim 1262) in the refugium compartment to see how it ran. save me filling up that compartment because i ran out of time. Was the first time i tested my DIY sump i made and all the baffles worked a treat and didnt leak :thumbsup:

I put the return pump on to see how the flow was. At the moment the return is coming out of 2 90degree bends only because i used up the 45 degree bends in modifying the return to get around the durso. Even still, the 90 degree bends didnt affect the flow at all. I was very impressed.

This test run was very rushed as the pump arrived today and i couldnt resist setting it up. All the plumbing is only roughed in and the actual powerboards everything will be connected to arent set up, so its messy atm.....but wont be in the end.

I have 6 Hydor Copies for this tank. 3 of which are running in my current tank to see how they go and if they rust. All have been modified with the "pen mod" and are working well so far.

Anyway, thats it for now, the hood is finished so next on the agenda will be to pick that up and paint that!! Score.

thanks for looking.

Feel free to comment. good or bad. :cheers:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby KeithM » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 7:12 pm

Looks great so far! The cabinet looks really good, sorry if I missed it but what sort of livestock are you planning?
Cheers, Keith
My Tank Journal
KeithM
Veteran Reefer

Postby busterant » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:20 pm

thanks mate. Most life stock will come out of my current tank. Including a yellow tang, blue tang (small), spotted box fish, pair of live caught brown clowns, bi colour blenny, coral banded shrimp. Mainly because ive ahd them for over a year and they all mix well together. Including the blue tang thinking he is a clown fish and protecting the anemone. I also have a blunthead wrasse in my tank which has amazing colours on it but i dont like it. so he wont be making the transfer to my new tank. Same goes for 3 chromis's i have. will prob sell on here if there is any interest.

in terms of coral. My aquascaping will be designed so i can have a shelf of acro at the top and softs towards the bottom. So a calc reactor or kalk stirrer will be amongst some future purchases.

But everything is early stages. will most likelly change :konk:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:36 pm

As mentioned the hood is finished and just getting the time to get the paint to it. Here it is. As you can see the door hinges up making it easy to feed and gain access to the lights etc.

Hood on tank to get rough idea how it all fits and looks. As you can see i also filled the tank with fresh water to get an idea how it all works.

Hinge on the door.

Inside the hood

Undercoating Begins

so so so slow
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby GunmetlFairmont » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:10 pm

Great Looking Cabinet!
GunmetlFairmont
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 9:34 am

Mate you have done well!! really looking the goods!! I reckon a couple of Lumenarcs would look great in that hood ;)

Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)