• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Unknown Shrimp

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Unknown Shrimp

Postby gpsmart » Tue 24 Mar, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi guys,
While collecting some glass shrimp on the weekend I ended up with these guys as bycatch. Three of the four were very dark when caught but have now lost most of their colour. They are now clear with a white diamond pattern down their back and other white spots on their sides. Any help identifying them would be appreciated either as a positive id or pointing me in the direction of a good resource as I’ve had no luck to date. Apologies for the crappy pics but they just don’t seem interested in posing for that perfect pic.
Here is the interesting part. Night 1 and one of the larger shrimp dropped a batch of larvae which I stumbled across just in time and collected. These guys are doing ok on day 2 and I guess I’ll just see what happens.

gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Re: Unknown Shrimp

Postby gpsmart » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 5:18 pm

These little guys are coming along at the moment. All four adults are doing well and so are the babies.

Better pic of one of the larger adults.

Babies growing nicely.
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby chrismelb » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 2:27 pm

I'd trying posting some pics and mentioning location in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/495449120535459/

best of luck
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer

Postby gpsmart » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks,
Will give that a go.
Graham
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby gpsmart » Wed 08 Apr, 2020 2:34 am

Ok so these guys have just found a very inventive way of killing themselves! They are now capable of skipping across the surface, taking leaps out of the water. They do this until they hit the side of the tank, stick to the glass, dry out and die :wall: :wall: :wall:
Today I collected all the remaining larvae/shrimp and put them in a smaller tank within the original tank. This smaller tank has a fly screen cover on it. Unfortunately, they are escaping through this cover. I will see how they go in the morning and then decide if a different cover is needed.
On the up side, I was only expecting to get a dozen or so of the larvae/shrimp when I collected them this morning but it turns out they were hiding at the edge of the tank where there is quite a large strip of black silicone. There were still 64 alive even though I have lost over 30 to this inventive form of shrimp suicide in the last few days. Currently they would be around 6-7mm total length and growing well.

gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby gpsmart » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 2:50 am

So these guys all eventually managed to knock themselves off unfortunately. If I notice them carrying larvae I may try again. With a few tweaks to my setup I should be able to stop them from jumping to their death.
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Return to Propagation & Breeding