• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Recommend me a wavemaker pls

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Recommend me a wavemaker pls

Postby Zoran » Fri 03 May, 2019 10:07 am

Hi all,

I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 (91 gallon, length 120cm, height 53cm and width 50cm ) and currently in the market for a wavemaker for a mix coral tank. Noise is an important factor and my budget is $500-$800.

Based on my research so far I am leaning towards getting the new Maxspect Gyre 300 series but not sure which one to get for my needs. https://www.thetechden.com.au/searchres ... Search=xf3

Would someone kindly enough can advise me which Maxspect to get for my tank or other recommendation instead of the Maxspect.

Thank you in advance
Zoran
Hi, I am new around here!

Re: Recommend me a wavemaker pls

Postby chrismelb » Mon 06 May, 2019 12:55 am

I can't comment on the Maxspect, as I've not had one but if it were me, I'd go for a twin model, the 9,000 would be good for LPS, softies, but if you wanted SPS, my choice would be the 20,000 as I like to keep detritus suspended in the water collum :). I use Tunze 6105 and love em, found them to be quiet, reliable, and they can move some serious water ;).

Chris
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Fri 10 May, 2019 9:44 am

I recommend Jebao of coral box. There is absolutely no need to spend huge dollars in comparison for a brand name. Dont support their marketing budget hahaha
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jutscher » Fri 10 May, 2019 9:39 pm

I have a 150 and a 250 on opposite ends of a Reefer750. The first gens deserved the panning that they got, they are a bit louder, the cable covering covering was made akin to something like paper, and on a personal note, the ph itself is difficult to clean under with my tunze care magnet. The controller was also very basic.

The second gen was worlds apart, and corrected all of the issues I listed above.

For a 4’ tank, you may get away with the 30. The 50 would be way too much on full blast, but may be alright dialled right down. In either case as Chris mentioned, go the pair if you do decide to go with the gyre, the “reverse” flow is abismal, and won’t give you a nice flow in both directions with a single.

Good luck.
Jutscher
Centurion Reefer
WA Reefer
MASWA Member

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion