• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Journey's end 2015

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Journey's end 2015

Postby Basenji » Sun 08 Aug, 2004 7:58 pm

This tank has been up and running since October 1996 in our old house, and was moved to our current home in April 2000.

Click here to jump forward to the most recent update of this journal

Link to gallery of full frontal shots 1997 -> present
----------

Journal commenced August 8, 2004.

About 6 months ago my tank took a fairly severe downturn. I believe it was largely to do with a lack of attention, the mysterious decline of my snail population and shoddy water change, topup and dosing practices.

Anyway, the good news is that I pulled my finger out a few months ago, made a passingly decent DIY skimmer, installed an auto topoff and reinstituted a regular programme of water changes, and the improvements have been significant.

I've just done a bit of re-aquascaping to get away from the "wall of rock" look, and figure it's time to get a few new pictures up on the board:

Full frontal of tank 8/8/04

tank with cabinet

Left hand bommie

Right hand bommie

end view - looking from right to left

Acropora sp. ("Dallas Warren"), with Cladiella sp., Discosoma sp. and Blastomussa sp.
Last edited by Basenji on Wed 22 Jul, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Re: Basenji's reef tank

Postby Basenji » Sun 08 Aug, 2004 8:09 pm

A few tank details:

Tank:
4' x 18" x 20" with corner overflow to 2'x 18" sump.
Total system volume ~280L

Lighting
4 x 4' NO fluoro tubes (1 x 6500K, 1 x 10,000K, 2 x Philips Actinic) overdriven on an Icecap 660 electronic VHO ballast. Runs at a total of around 260-280 Watts.

Skimmer
DIY PVC Venturi skimmer
Check out this thread

Water movement
Sump return = Hydor L40 (Rated 2800LPH at 0 head, Delivers ~1200 LPH after head and fricton losses) split between two return outlets.
Powerheads = 2 x 2000LPH Otto powerheads + 1 x 600LPH Aquaclear.
Until recently I was running a SCWD on the return, but have pulled it out due to excessive noise.
Last edited by Basenji on Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Postby Turbo » Sun 08 Aug, 2004 8:31 pm

Looks good Colin, those vho balasts certainly get a bit more punch out of those no fluros by the looks of the brightness of the tank, love the do it your self skimer.
Peter.
All the best Peter.
Turbo
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CRAIGW » Sun 08 Aug, 2004 11:56 pm

Tank is looking good Colin. Good to hear its back on track.
CRAIGW
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dr DBW » Mon 09 Aug, 2004 10:55 am

Is that actually the colour that those mushrooms look in person?
Dr DBW
Witnessed The Cambrian Explosion
RTAW Moderator

Postby Basenji » Mon 09 Aug, 2004 11:37 am

They are quite bright red, but probably not as red as those photos would indicate. Not touched up deliberately by myself - just a cheap camera.
Matt Searles has some of the same corallimorphs in his tank from when we swapped some rock over. They can be seen at the right hand end of this photo.

If anything, they look a bit washed out in Matt's photo, and reality lies somewhere between the two.
Last edited by Basenji on Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby buck » Tue 10 Aug, 2004 2:14 am

Really like the aquascaping Colin.Your tank is looking really good.

Mick
buck
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jim_D » Wed 11 Aug, 2004 2:23 pm

Looking great Colin, I too have gone away from the wall of rock look and think it looks better.
Jim_D

Location: Some where in New South Wales, Australia, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

Postby Basenji » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:41 pm

Andrew Trevor-Jones took some photos of my tank at the MASS meeting last weekend.

Here is a link to where he has posted them on his site.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:54 pm

I have already posted this on the MASS forum, but I thought I would post it here as well for the wider audience.

Here is a growth sequence of a frag of Acropora sp. "Dallas Warren" that I cut on 7/2/04.
I have included one of Andrew's photos from 16/10/04 as the latest installment.

The frag is positioned approximately 170mm below the water surface. Light is 4 x NO fluoro tubes running in an Icecap 660 VHO ballast positioned 50mm above water surface

14/3/04

21/5/04

4/7/04

8/8/04

25/9/04

16/10/04
(Thankyou Andrew for this photo.)
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby ReBooT » Sat 23 Oct, 2004 1:08 am

Nice..its going well..ya just added more fuel to the ongoing 'you cant grow acro's under flouros' debate :pirate:
ReBooT
Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:30 am

Actually, I don't think it "fuels" the debate as such.
I think most people will agree that you can grow 'some' acropora sp. under fluoros provided that:
- the corals are high enough in the tank; and
- you have enough tubes/intensity.

But I do agree that there is more to the story than "forget about SPS unless you have 250W halides".

Remember that:
- my lighting is running on a VHO ballast, so the tubes are putting out around about twice the intensity compared to running on a standard Normal Output tar ballast.
- The specimens highlighted are within around 250mm of the surface.
- This is the 'Dallas Warren' green beast and it needs a bit of hardship to stop it from climbing out of the tank and up the wall. ;)

The secret to successful aquarium keeping is meeting the needs of specific organisms.

Full stop.

There is normally more than one way to achieve that goal.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby SLACkra » Sat 23 Oct, 2004 9:04 pm

wow your tank is amazing! how did you setup your lighting to overdrive them? your acro grew like mad imagine how fast it would have grew if you had a 20k mh on him! i would like to have an overdrive no lighting but i don't know how to do it.

cheers

andrew
SLACkra
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby marinefreak » Sat 23 Oct, 2004 9:30 pm

Looks Great,

You have to be happy with how it is going. Well done
marinefreak
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Basenji » Sun 24 Oct, 2004 6:35 pm

how did you setup your lighting to overdrive them?

I was going to say "do a search for icecap or VHO but I just tried that and came up with bugger all. We really need to do something about sorting out the archives on this board, because VHO fluoros have been discussed on many occasions.

In my case, I ordered an Icecap 660 ballast (220V version) directly from Icecap in the US.
They are not available for sale in Australia, so you have to import them yourself.

It will run standard Normal Output fluoro tubes to give around 2 x the intensity of running them on a standard ballast, and use a bit less than 2 x the amount of electricity. (There is an efficiency saving due to it being an electronic ballast).

It is not simply a matter of switching the ballast in a standard fluro fitting. The tubes need to be wired up quite differently, and icecap recommend using water resistant endcaps. I made up some reflectors out of polished stainless steel, bought the waterproof endcaps from a lighting wholesaler and wired it up myself.

The tubes run quite a bit hotter than standard fluros, but not blisteringly hot. Enclosed in a hood you would need to make sure that you have sufficient ventilation to prevent overheating problems.

The tubes do fade quicker than they would on a normal ballast, but I get a good 6-12 months out them before switching them. Buying from an electrical wholesaler saves you heaps compared to buying them from the LFS.

The ballast is not particularly cheap, at around US$180 (say A$240). I bought mine back in 2000, because at the time there weren't a lot of easily accessible options around for metal halides at a reasonable price. (About the only option was 150W dalbarb units at over $500 a pop through the LFS. I hadn't discovered shoplighters at the time, and most of the specialty MH lamps like 10000K were like $180 each)

What I've got was a reasonable solution at the time, and I have been really happy with it. But if I did it again now, I would probably go metal halide, given that we now have local suppliers offering halide lighting specifically for aquarium hobbyists at more reasonable prices. You can do OK under VHO fluoros if you choose livestock carefully, and locate it appropriately in the tank. But MH do give you quite a few more options.

Regards,
Last edited by Basenji on Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Sun 24 Oct, 2004 7:43 pm

A few pics of my lighting setup:

Icecap 660 ballast

Full light fitting on tank

View of light fitting showing running lamps

End of light fitting, showing waterproof endcaps

Closeup of waterproof endcaps. Note both T8 and T12 lamp sizes. Only difference is the screw-on section that fits around the end of the tube. The base of the lamp fitting is universal between the two sizes, so I can mix and match.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby searlesy » Sun 24 Oct, 2004 8:56 pm

Colin, there is nothing wrong with the archives, I just did a search for vho OR icecap, and got to page 10 of search hits before I got sick of counting.

I think you have fallen into the trap that everyone does colin, set

"Forum or Category to search"
to
"All Forums"

"words to search for"
to
"vho icecap"

"Search options"
to
"Or"

"Date Range"
to
"all posts"

"Number of results to show per page."
to
"any number you like"

(just checked, and I got 390 hits)
searlesy

Postby Basenji » Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:44 pm

Tank moved today to our new home.
All went well.

This photo taken tonight
Last edited by Basenji on Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby SLACkra » Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:07 am

looking good. you must frag your green dallas though! :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:
SLACkra
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby graceless » Tue 15 Mar, 2005 2:05 am

Looks great mate....

I still can't get over how awesome those coral morphs look!

Tank seems to have settled well.
MASAOG - Rallying Regional and Remote Reefers
graceless
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Basenji » Fri 05 Aug, 2005 11:42 pm

Well it's been six months since I moved the tank to our current address, and now we're about to move on again. Our current place of residence was always going to be a temporary thing, since we were renting while we went through the whole sell-the-house-buy-a-new-one thing.

The tank has hardly skipped a beat over the months since the last move, so here's hoping I can do it all over again. This should be the last move for many years hopefully.

The tank hasn't actually changed much in the last 6 months. (I've deliberately not changed much since I knew I was moving again).

Just thought I'd post a few pics for the record before the move, just in case, heaven forbid, it all goes pear shaped. :crossfingers:

Last edited by Basenji on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Fri 05 Aug, 2005 11:49 pm

While taking the photos tonight, I noticed for the first time what looks like some new polyps budding off the base of my Euphyllia ancora. Given the growth form of the main colony this form of budding seemed a little unusual. Thought it was worth posting some pics just for interest value.

And this photo just because I kind of like it.

Last edited by Basenji on Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby glennb » Sat 06 Aug, 2005 4:45 pm

Basenji wrote:Given the growth form of the main colony this form of budding seemed a little unusual.

What growth form would it be more 'usual' to see budding associated with? The e.ancora in my tank began as a single polyp salvaged from a LR bin and began budding like yours very early on in its recovery. The offshoots have grown disproportionately slowly to the main coral. I thought it might be something that occurs when there's nowhere else left to grow. Would be interested to learn the true reason.
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Basenji » Sun 07 Aug, 2005 8:36 am

I guess it's just that every euphyllia I have ever owned has created new polyps by growing the skeleton and having it split into multiple or broader corallites.
I've just never come across this form of budding in my own tank before.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Mon 08 Aug, 2005 11:13 am

Photo of my flame hawkfish perched in the acro.

Last edited by Basenji on Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:16 am

Well, the tank move happened last Saturday, and one week on it looks like everything has done OK.
My big acro colony got a bit knocked around (read as "multiple new frags") but apart from that I don't think I've had any casualties.)

The only real casualty of the process was me.

1. I managed to get a major sting all down my forearm from the big Euphyllia ancora (Which has been driving me crazy from itchiness all week), and

2. I copped two fingers full of bristle worm spines when fishing a rock out of a bucket. My fingers looked like that picture of the dog that went up against a porcupine that was posted a few weeks back. I did the old "dry it off with a hairdryer, then pull the spines out with sticky tape" trick, which worked really well for perhaps 95% of the spines, but my fingers still swelled up considerably and are only just getting back to normal movement a week later.

For what it's worth, here's a couple of pics of the tank in its new position. Doesn't look dramatically different to what it did before the the move.

For the record, after moving house twice in the space of 6 months, I am not planning on moving house again for a long, long, long time.
Last edited by Basenji on Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby SLACkra » Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:29 pm

ouch man! bristle worms really hurt! tank still looks awsome. keep the photos coming mate!
SLACkra
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Basenji » Sat 08 Oct, 2005 9:27 pm

I've always been annoyed at the lack of height in my stand, and the impossibility of fitting stuff into that space.
Also since moving to this latest house, I no longer have a convenient window sill to sit my VHO ballast on, and I didn't want to put it below the tank. And my wife was sick of the crummy table I had sitting next to the tank covered in fish keeping junk.

So ...... I bought a cheap cupboard from a pine warehouse and put it next to the tank. I hacked into the bottom shelf with a jigsaw, and bored a bunch of holes in the back for hose connections. And all problems have been solved.

It now houses
- a dbreeftech skimmer which I bought from Thargor66 (missed out on fitting underneath the tank by about 2 cm :sneaky: )
- my auto top-up reservoir
- VHO ballast and timer
- assorted tubs test kits, food, refractometer etc.

The skimmer is still a little undersized for this tank, but it's a step in the right direction, and I now have heaps of room if I want to upgrade it again.

On to the pics ...

The skimmer is only sitting in a tub as a safety precaution, which has already proven itself worthwhile with a few hickups while tuning .

No word of a lie, this is a true representation of the colour my Acropora "Dallas Warren" has gone since the house move. Photo taken viewing from the top down.

Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 8:41 am

A long time between tank pics. Not much has changed. Corallimorphs are way out of control. Drastic measures may need to be taken soon.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby dejavu » Wed 13 Dec, 2006 8:45 am

Colin, looks like you got the christmas theme going in your tank! :poke:
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)