• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

2.5'x2'x2' Mixed Reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

2.5'x2'x2' Mixed Reef

Postby Dribs » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 5:36 pm

Introduction:

The tank will be an upgrade firstly, and a chance for me to implement all the experience, knowledge and different tanks I have seen/gathered over the past year and a half. It will also be a chance to start a tank that I have bought new (not for $40 off ebay like my last), and to hopefully achieve something that I can be proud of and carry around with me when I move out next year.

System Objectives: To have a little bit of everything, with lots of colour and happy inhabitants.

System Type: A mixed reef of SPS, a phew softies, reef safe fish and my first clam/anemone.

Display System:

Strike up Date: Mid November 2012, fingers crossed

Display Tank: 2.5’x2’x2’ Float with euro brace, right hand weir (1 durso, 1 standpipe and one return)

Display Lighting: A 250w 20k bulb (AMD) running a lumatek ballast and lumerarc copy reflector. Also I will have 2 x 12 dimmable actinic led strips (3w 8 x 420nm 16 x 3w bridgelux Royal Blue 455 nm)

Stand: DIY Pine Stand

Hood: Open Top but with a egg crate cover for jumping fish

Sump: 2 foot sump, Return – DSB/Macro – Skimmer/drain

Refugium Lighting: Desk Clamp Light

Support systems:

System Water: NSW and ASW depending on availability

Display Water circulation: VorTech MP40W Gen2 and a Tunze 6015 (modded)

Return Pump: Sicce 2400L

Skimmer: BM Nac 3 (will see how it goes)

Evaporation Top Up: ATO from fishstreet
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: 2.5'x2'x2' Mixed Reef

Postby Dribs » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 5:45 pm

Here is a very dodgey drawing of the tank, doesnt really say much I spose

Here is the lighting bracket, the leds will be in the top and bottom aluminium c section with the driver inside the stand (already using one string so will have to wire up closer to the arrival of my tank)

And the MH will fit nicely in the centre square segment.

The aquascaping look I want to achieve is similar to this, or a squished version :pirate:

Hope this gives you some idea in visual terms

:cheers:
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 8:56 pm

I like that open style, looking forward to seeing your progress.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dribs » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 6:25 pm

priscacara wrote:I like that open style, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks mate. I'll try and have some empty sand bed, and some swimming room above, which should hopefully be easy with a 2' high tank. Its a bit of a wait and see as I have never had a standard wide or high tank :crossfingers:

The stand will hopefully be done tomorrow and will be a close copy of Zeebull's stand :roflmao: minus the centre piece for two front doors, I think I'll go one a bit like this 750mm tank. Also my light stand will be coming overhead from the back of the tank.

Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Dribs » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:59 am

Got the tank all filled up. Everything going well, just chucked the rock in and came up with this scape, not sure If I like it yet. Its got a heap of caves and a fair bit of sand bed left over so it is kind of what I wanted.

But hey my old man told me he doesn't like the look of my stand and will pay to get me one fabricated, so I'll have another opportunity to re scape in about a month :furious: Not like he could have told me it looked like a half chewed cashew before I spent a day moving the tank, and half a day cleaning up and a few dollars on the stand.

Anyways... Im happy with the tank and the loudest thing is my return pump, with the overflow silent as. Oh and my wrasse hasn't managed to get out of the egg crate gaol yet :tongue: Thanks for tone recommending that.

The sand looks awesome, thanks for Acro Al for the recommendation :pirate: looks really natural with the silky white sand, and little bits of debris such as tube worm burrows on top. Also the strombus chagres through it and makes awesome trails.

FTS (sorry about glare)...

Side Shot...

Another Side Shot...

And one of my dallas, didn't realise how big he was till i pulled him out!..
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 1:38 pm

Tank looks awesome, nice mix of corals and fish! I take my tank shots at night without other lights on so I don't get a shot of the middle aged spread to go along with the tank :-)
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dribs » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 6:11 pm

:roflmao: Thanks for the advice and the compliment. Its a start!

Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kindcorals » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 2:25 pm

Nice pics, any update?

Im also curious how the skimmer is working out? Im about to buy one
Not sure why my html tags arent working but..
My Blue Zoos: gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=2729
My Xenia, and Ricordia: gallery/image.php?album_id=666&image_id=2725
kindcorals
Centurion Reefer

Postby Dribs » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks mate, here is one of today... It's going ok I spose, changed to a 15k bulb, it is a lot more yellow/white. The growth is fairly good but.

As for the Nac 3, it depends on the size of the tank. It does pull out some nice skimate at present, as I am dosing amino acids and the skimmer goes crazy, but I think I will upgrade very soon. I would recommend it for a tank up to 150 L that is significantly stocked, although it has served me well and the price is awesome.

May upgrade to one of these:

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=235

Hope that helps!
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby joeyparsons » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey mate, I'm from Newcastle too :) tank looks great, just in the beginning stages of setting up my 3x2x2 at the moment. Just wondering where you got your substrate from and what is it?

Cheers,

Joey
joeyparsons
Curious Reefer

Postby jayellul » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 1:16 pm

Is this still running?
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dribs » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 1:30 pm

jayellul wrote:Is this still running?

Sure is mate! Let me know if you want some frags by the way.

Long story short, algea destroying coral beauty died -> hair algea bloom -> coral rabbit fish destroyed it like a boss -> getting sps recession from why i beleive is high phosphates but gaining more colour due to changing to tunze salt.

Oh and found out my clam skeleton has aiptasia. Upgraded skimmer to skimz 121 (couldn't wait for vertex omega 130) and got 2nd hand sump that is now clean as a whistle with no more dsb/macro...

I think that is it! Will be changing to ati 6 by 24w soon as well.

Might post some pics.
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby jayellul » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 1:35 pm

ha ha nice. wouldnt mind checking it out at some stage. How you find the SM121? Loving mine, just needs a slight tune every now and again it seems.
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)