• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Collecting limestone rock for aquarium

Just started out in the world of marine aquariums? Daunted by all the information, conflicting advice and just wondering what you should do? This is a forum for all of those that are new to the hobby to ask all and any beginner type of questions.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: New to the Hobby

Collecting limestone rock for aquarium

Postby Czeslaw87 » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:45 pm

Hey guys,

New to the marine world I have had plenty to do with fresh water over the years.
I have just ordered a 20 gallon A. I. O waterbox and I am planning on setting up a small reef.
Living very close to the beach in the Pilbara region w.a I have access to what I would call beautiful limestone rocks full of holes and crevices. These particular rocks would look amazing for an aquascape.
I have spoken with fisheries, dpi and local council and I am allowed to collect these rocks under the conditions that it is private use so no commercial selling, No live rock to be taken must be dry and all care to be taken that there is nothing living in the rocks.
Well above tide lines all up and down the coast here there are hundreds and thousands of rocks to chose from.
So legalities aside what are your thoughts on using collected limestone for aquascaping?

Cheers,
Daniel
Czeslaw87
Hi, I am new around here!

Re: Collecting limestone rock for aquarium

Postby stith » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 10:55 pm

I used some Texas holey rock in a setup twice, worst thing I ever did. This rock your talking about sounds pretty close to this. The problem I had the first time was that it leached phosphates like you wouldn't believe and my tank ended up with a carpet of Hair algae over every rock, sand, wall, heater. Every surface you could think of. I shut the tank down and tried curing the rock, 2 months in dark containers filled with saltwater treated with lanthanum chloride every day until the phosphate leaching levels were safe to use in a tank. Setup the tank again and within 3 weeks the phosphate levels were through the roof, long story short I thew the rock away, it was horrible stuff.
Get some of the rock you want to use and put it in a bucket of water and test the phosphate levels for a week or so before you use in a tank. There is nothing worse than battling Algae from day dot on a new tank and especial being your first Reef tank, it a sure way to become disillusioned with reefing. If it has low phosphates go for it.
- Shane

AquaReef 400 Reef - shut down
5x2.5x2 FOWLR -re incarnating
Anemone tank - shut down
40 ltr Coral Nano
stith
RTAW Reefer

Postby Czeslaw87 » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 4:24 pm

Sthih,

Thanks for such a great response!
Can I ask did you have any type of filtraiton for removing for phosphate?
Not questioning your knowledge or findings with using said rock but how are you sure it was the rock causing the hair algae?
Look forward to your response. Thanks again

Daniel
Czeslaw87

Postby stith » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 9:50 pm

yes, I ran Rowaphos the whole time, made no difference. Here are two photos the first is with the Texas rock and cured Barrier reef rock at about 50/50 after about 3 weeks using Rowaphos and the second is with the same cured rock and new "LIVE" rock at about 50/50 with no phosphate reducers. Chalk and Cheese I say. Don't get me wrong about using the rock you want, all I'm saying is test it. Quarried rock is renowned for leaching phosphates.

Nothing different except live rock and no phosphate management (tank 3 months old)

Last edited by stith on Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Shane

Anemone tank - shut down
40 ltr Coral Nano
stith
RTAW Reefer

Postby Czeslaw87 » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 12:18 pm

Not getting you wrong at all Sthih just a newbie asking questions learning as much as I can. I have fried my brain the last 4-5 weeks since I finally decided to set up a reef after having deliberated about it for some years.
So my apologies if you think I was doubting you I could read and research as much as I want about using the rock and still not come up with the correct answer.
I will take your advice and test some rock it has been the most informative response I have found anywhere on the web.

P.s Your photos are not showing not sure if you can fix that or not but would be very interested in seeing them.

Cheers,

Daniel
Czeslaw87

Postby stith » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:16 am

picks showing now
- Shane

Anemone tank - shut down
40 ltr Coral Nano