• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

What happened to RTAW?

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Postby coral1 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:04 pm

:roflmao: u
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Basenji » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:20 pm

I made a beer induced cynical comment, and then thought better of it and so self-censored. Sorry for the distraction.

I spent over a decade of my life trying to contribute to this place, and have pretty much had the soul burned out of me.
I can see that there are some great people who have the welfare of this site and society at heart.
I see others that are just determined to cr@p upon all that has gone before and troll for their own amusement.

I'm still here. I still have a couple of tanks. I watch what happens, just because I find it hard to walk away.
But I think perhaps I've just grown too old for this $hit.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby angel101 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:26 pm

I've been on here, like you Colin pretty much since inception. There needed to be drastic changes and quick, because without it, the board certainly would not be around for another decade.
I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.
angel101
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:27 pm

Fair enough mate.

And it truly is.

But.. For a future podcast, would you be happy to be a guest? Not episode 1. I've sorted the guests for that already.
But I'd like to have an 'old boys' episode.

Feel my enthusiasm. FEEL IT! RUB IT ALL OVER YOUR BODY!

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Basenji » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:44 pm

angel101 wrote:There needed to be drastic changes and quick

Nothing good happens quickly.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Postby angel101 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:01 am

Basenji wrote:
angel101 wrote:There needed to be drastic changes and quick

Nothing good happens quickly.

Ha, ha in tanks yes, but not in all spheres of life.
angel101
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby angel101 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:03 am

Just a quick offering. I belong to a soccer site and the software has notifications for when a post has been answered, I think this helps to spur traffic immensely.
angel101
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:09 am

angel101 wrote:Just a quick offering. I belong to a soccer site and the software has notifications for when a post has been answered, I think this helps to spur traffic immensely.

There's a "subscribe topic" button at the bottom of the page that will send you and email notification when someone responds to a topic. Best used sparingly, but I do have notifications set up for my tank journal threads.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby angel101 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:12 am

This come up like a PM notification.
angel101
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:44 am

Aydee wrote:
Feel my enthusiasm. FEEL IT! RUB IT ALL OVER YOUR BODY!

Dave

:spit: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 7:45 am

Basenji wrote:I made a beer induced cynical comment, and then thought better of it and so self-censored. Sorry for the distraction.

I spent over a decade of my life trying to contribute to this place, and have pretty much had the soul burned out of me.
I can see that there are some great people who have the welfare of this site and society at heart.
I see others that are just determined to cr@p upon all that has gone before and troll for their own amusement.

I'm still here. I still have a couple of tanks. I watch what happens, just because I find it hard to walk away.
But I think perhaps I've just grown too old for this $hit.

Colin i know what you mean we know you are a big part of the site you were the reason for MASS we know what happened and know how $hit it is i didn't put anywhere near as much time and effort in as you but i still tried and also got kicked to the ground.

But i believe it is honestly better now i think last week was a huge turning point the mods sat back at let people say what they had to say i think its done the world of good. It definitely looks like its on the improve..

Do you not think so do you think there is still trolls trying to make it bad? Please dont hide your thoughts i think now the mods understand we actually need to talk about it here rather then censoring it for G rated..
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NiCd » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 8:50 am

Aydee wrote:Feel my enthusiasm. FEEL IT! RUB IT ALL OVER YOUR BODY!

This comment was the reason for me loosing 2 hours sleep last night.

We have a sick 10 month old :dead: that was impossible to get down last night :baby: :bawling: , I read this at a bit after midnight after he finally went down and :roflmao: - waking him up again and taking 2 hours to put him back down again, Im holding you personally responsible Dave! :bored: :poke:
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby WarbyD » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:23 pm

With regard to the shift from phpBB to xenforo (or another platform), which would then allow for alot of improvements to the user interface and whatnot, I know that one of the biggest stumbling blocks was the integration between the forum software and various other items behind the scenes which were required to manage the business interactions/requirements, reefpedia and some other bits and bobs (Joomla I think was the biggest issue, but I can't recall exactly the reason).

Basically, along the way there have been lots of plug-ins and add-ons slapped onto the side of the basic phpBB3 platform which meant that migrating across to a new platform was not as easy as it might otherwise be. There have been a few very savvy tech gurus along the way that have tried to help, but each time have hit a wall due to this.

Can the committee advice if this is still the case or if there has been some more progress? I think that the interface improvements have been one of the biggest "wants" from the community for some time now, so if there is anything I can do to help this along then please let me know. I am no use on the back end (*queue childish snickering*), but am happy to help with data entry/migration/transfer if required - grunt work type stuff.

-Dave
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:58 pm

You're stretching my memory here, but I'll do my best to get this right.
We looked at it a few years back, Dallas, Shona, myself chased quotes on getting an outside entity to migrate it over as it was very complicated due to the add-ons, plugins, configuration and age of joomla.
Quotes from memory came in around the $5k mark for Oz based companies and about $2k for indian companies. The high cost of the Oz companies and the trepidation of working with a foreign company made us baulk and back away from it.
I think this was again raised when cam became involved but I think he might have looked into it and came to the same conclusion.
It's going back a little way, but I think that's fairly accurate.

Possibly, we need to get more advice on this, but I had thought as a work around that we could dump the current joomla system altogether and start the business database from scratch on a new system. It would require businesses to re-submit their registration but it would clear a lot of the dead wood out and hone the listings to those that are current and active. It would obviously palm off a large portion of that side of things to many people as opposed to just a few individuals.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby WarbyD » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:55 pm

Onsan wrote:You're stretching my memory here, but I'll do my best to get this right.
We looked at it a few years back, Dallas, Shona, myself chased quotes on getting an outside entity to migrate it over as it was very complicated due to the add-ons, plugins, configuration and age of joomla.
Quotes from memory came in around the $5k mark for Oz based companies and about $2k for indian companies. The high cost of the Oz companies and the trepidation of working with a foreign company made us baulk and back away from it.
I think this was again raised when cam became involved but I think he might have looked into it and came to the same conclusion.
It's going back a little way, but I think that's fairly accurate.

Possibly, we need to get more advice on this, but I had thought as a work around that we could dump the current joomla system altogether and start the business database from scratch on a new system. It would require businesses to re-submit their registration but it would clear a lot of the dead wood out and hone the listings to those that are current and active. It would obviously palm off a large portion of that side of things to many people as opposed to just a few individuals.

That's my recollection of it too (from the cam period, when I was involved in the MASA committee) - What you've suggested as the work around is exactly what I had in mind: Forget about trying to port everything over and letting this be a reason to not move forward, and just start again with anything that can't be transferred. This has the added benefit too, in my opinion, of allowing MASA to pick and choose exactly what features you'd like to see implemented in the new platform instead of being hamstrung by what is compatible with the things we have at present.

I don't think it should require the resubmission of everything by businesses - surely there must be a way to do a bulk export from the Joomla system, or keep the Joomla system "live" while someone manually enters all of the requisite data in whatever the new system ends up being.

At the end of the day, I think as long as all of the user data and forum structure/posts can be maintained, everything else should be manageable.
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rob9 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:32 pm

I do not know the detail but I do think its a great point.

I think sticking with what is current is having more of a negative impact than the pain and hurdles that will come from moving forward, I also think the longer it goes on possibly the harder it will be to move forward. The new platform might be a "circle" and putting this "square" into it will never work, the way we use this system and store information may have to change and some short term solutions may have to come into place while these things are changed.
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Polyps » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:37 pm

Heaps of great suggestions have been made since this threads first post and all are worth while but want to add my bit.

First up, Platform upgrade should be priority, at least for the inception of adding pics and back end usability. Not being able to do so really does put RTAW in the dark ages and even with all the great ideas listed, I for see a short fall and limitation to RTAW's true communitys ability which in turn will effect its longevity. How about to get this happening asap, all MASX jointly contribute x dollars to contract a company to make it happen in a specified and acceptable timeframe. All things in life need a solid foundation and the current isn't cutting it to keep up with todays standards. Once completed an updated platform will make life so easy for mods and users alike, with a fortitude of potential growth at its disposal. There are so many reefing forums around the world that can be used as business models to emulate as a starting point.

Typing this while a few post popped up. I understand the complications and overwhelming nature of this process but for the purpose of this post I'm trying to keep thing simple. Working with a competent on shore company can easily outweigh any negatives and if quotes came in at 5k i personally wouldn't flinch (with the assistance of MASX financial contribution support) to get RTAW back amongst it. Sure, there will be hickups along the way, incompatability issues, lost data, etc, but surly opening the doors to a proficient RTAW foundation for the exponential future growth outweighs this. Heck this would then be a good time to look at those offshore contractors to rectify these hiccups whilst the new platform is running and growing so the upfront onshore cost could be reduced substantially.

Ive been about for a long time and I'm partly the reefer i am cause of RTAW, both the good and bad parts. The reason why I sit back on forums I attribute to the way I was made to feel on here in the early days. However I like a bit of healthy bickering or debating online, keeps one sharp and up to date and something that happens on other forum I frequent limits Mod's contact to private messages. This method can still makes points and resolves issues in a private fashion whilst keeping people from feeling the overwhelming god like powers of a Mod :devil: and also allows the Mod to be able to interact as a mere mortal :poke: leaving behind a RTAW reputation most would like to forget.

One last point i'll touch on has to do with RTAW and MASX; simplify and clarify....everything. Not only for old time reefers and especially for newbies, tell and show them the benefits of joining MASX (list associated LFS, contacts, etc). Outline how the whole thing works RTAW, Committee, PC&S, MASX, Paid members, members, etc. Ive been about over a decade and still have my if's, I know this information or descriptions may be out there but not clearly enough. This is a massive selling point that needs to be utilised, all this talk about convincing member to become paid member to be able to help or support has no merit. All I see is someone wanting to help and offering to being told they need to be paid member as opposed to "yes, by all means; and to do so you need to become a MASX member which will entitle you to LFS discounts, local community activities, ability to become active RTAW admin authority, support groups, competitions, etc'. Although not exactly how I'd word it but much nicer than 'Pay your dues'

Just a bit of house cleaning is all and best to get it done in the early stages i think. Glad theres a change afloat and ill chat to my MASX to see what I can do to help out :thumbsup:
Polyps
RTAW Reefer
MASA Volunteer

Postby NiCd » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 8:21 pm

Id just download it for $250 spend a few nights seeing what what we can get with the import functions and bit of hard work and then evaluate if we actually need the balance.

Out of the box It should give us like/trophy functions, alerts, file management etc
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby uglyman » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 8:39 pm

Polyps wrote:Heaps of great suggestions have been made since this threads first post and all are worth while but want to add my bit.

First up, Platform upgrade should be priority, at least for the inception of adding pics and back end usability. Not being able to do so really does put RTAW in the dark ages and even with all the great ideas listed, I for see a short fall and limitation to RTAW's true communitys ability which in turn will effect its longevity. How about to get this happening asap, all MASX jointly contribute x dollars to contract a company to make it happen in a specified and acceptable timeframe. All things in life need a solid foundation and the current isn't cutting it to keep up with todays standards. Once completed an updated platform will make life so easy for mods and users alike, with a fortitude of potential growth at its disposal. There are so many reefing forums around the world that can be used as business models to emulate as a starting point.

Typing this while a few post popped up. I understand the complications and overwhelming nature of this process but for the purpose of this post I'm trying to keep thing simple. Working with a competent on shore company can easily outweigh any negatives and if quotes came in at 5k i personally wouldn't flinch (with the assistance of MASX financial contribution support) to get RTAW back amongst it. Sure, there will be hickups along the way, incompatability issues, lost data, etc, but surly opening the doors to a proficient RTAW foundation for the exponential future growth outweighs this. Heck this would then be a good time to look at those offshore contractors to rectify these hiccups whilst the new platform is running and growing so the upfront onshore cost could be reduced substantially.

Ive been about for a long time and I'm partly the reefer i am cause of RTAW, both the good and bad parts. The reason why I sit back on forums I attribute to the way I was made to feel on here in the early days. However I like a bit of healthy bickering or debating online, keeps one sharp and up to date and something that happens on other forum I frequent limits Mod's contact to private messages. This method can still makes points and resolves issues in a private fashion whilst keeping people from feeling the overwhelming god like powers of a Mod :devil: and also allows the Mod to be able to interact as a mere mortal :poke: leaving behind a RTAW reputation most would like to forget.

One last point i'll touch on has to do with RTAW and MASX; simplify and clarify....everything. Not only for old time reefers and especially for newbies, tell and show them the benefits of joining MASX (list associated LFS, contacts, etc). Outline how the whole thing works RTAW, Committee, PC&S, MASX, Paid members, members, etc. Ive been about over a decade and still have my if's, I know this information or descriptions may be out there but not clearly enough. This is a massive selling point that needs to be utilised, all this talk about convincing member to become paid member to be able to help or support has no merit. All I see is someone wanting to help and offering to being told they need to be paid member as opposed to "yes, by all means; and to do so you need to become a MASX member which will entitle you to LFS discounts, local community activities, ability to become active RTAW admin authority, support groups, competitions, etc'. Although not exactly how I'd word it but much nicer than 'Pay your dues'

Just a bit of house cleaning is all and best to get it done in the early stages i think. Glad theres a change afloat and ill chat to my MASX to see what I can do to help out :thumbsup:

:withyou: Fix platform ASAP and housekeeping.

PS: You cannot take my godlike powers from me MUUHAHAHAHA :devil:
All shall :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: to meeeeeeeeee
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby Kransky » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:19 pm

Any reason nobody uses RTAW Chat?
Just curious as i have been on there most of the day and there have been only 3 ppl log in.

Col.
Kransky
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby coral1 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:20 pm

i have tried but nobody on there :konk:
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:26 pm

I think more people use it than realize, but it's one of those revolving door things of someone logs on. Noone there. Logs out. a little later, someone else logs in. Noone there. Rinse. Repeat.

There have been nights where it's pumping. Can barely keep up.

Then there are nights where you can count the crickets chirping.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:34 pm

https://xenforo.com/community/resources ... tbox.1224/

In the future we could do real time chats, anyone who is logged in can chat
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm

I also note it has got facebook integration and the like. hmmmm.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Onsan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:49 pm

no promises, but how about we collate some prospective formats and get opinions on them together in one thread?
That way we've got an easy reference point to review and progress.
Any one keen on spearheading this?
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:51 pm

How about it Nicd?

I'm spear heading my own thing at the moment (As you've all guessed. It was a hard guess, I know).

But you appear to be familiar with it. Can you at least be the driver, even if you don't implement, but be the driver.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 7:51 am

Aydee wrote:How about it Nicd?

I'm spear heading my own thing at the moment (As you've all guessed. It was a hard guess, I know).

But you appear to be familiar with it. Can you at least be the driver, even if you don't implement, but be the driver.

Dave

PM sent :thumbsup:
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:42 pm

I've created a thread over in the MASA-Webteam forum to begin discussion there. We definitely need Cam and Shona involved in this.
As mentioned, my job is things like data migration and system migration. Although I have not done a PHPBB3 to Xenforo, I can definitely ask the right questions. If Nicd helps out, I think we can do this mostly inhouse which will cut down costs enormously.

But that's a discussion for the thread in Webteam.

Dave

EDIT:
Just realized that most people wouldn't be able to see the above thread.

So, we'll leave that thread as 'backend' discussion. Perhaps a new thread here in Comments and Suggestions for what users would like.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 5:56 pm

Looks like MASA/RTAW is on the move once more!

It has always been my preferred site, so very happy. :)

I have a few time constraints so find it difficult volunteering a heap of time, but am happy to keep welcoming people etc.

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby coral1 » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 8:54 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Looks like MASA/RTAW is on the move once more!

It has always been my preferred site, so very happy. :)

I have a few time constraints so find it difficult volunteering a heap of time, but am happy to keep welcoming people etc.

Rod. :thumbsup:

nice to have you back on the team Rod :wavey:
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current