• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Increasing site traffic via sales

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Increasing site traffic via sales

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 12:04 pm

I know it feels like the same conversation and banging heads against a wall :wall: , however with FaceBook trying to automate the banning of any for sale (and the ways of getting around it such as "stock needs a holiday" and so on) add maybe the classifieds here are the key to at least getting some traffic back onto the forum?

Classifieds possibly needs a tweak so it's easier to add pictures, is Mobile friendly, quick and easy to use, etc but if you get it right along with notifications, etc I think there is a chance....

Does anyone know whats required to "refresh" the classifieds section? Do we even have the skills still hanging around on this forum with the passion to devote a bit of time?

Maybe, just maybe, if people are coming back to buy/sell/trade/swap conversations will happen?
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Increasing site traffic via sales

Postby CaptCrash » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 1:52 am

This is a really good idea.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sat 22 Feb, 2020 5:54 pm

Perhaps it could be something simple where we work in with mafa and those guys where they just post a photo on there with a link to the for sale add here?

That way is shouldnt be banned on there and we start getting people through here again.

If we start getting people here even just in the adds start to build a better system so that people know to come here for sales and just use this system?
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 2:09 pm

This is an old topic but worth keeping this discussion in one place.
I think there are a heap of updates and fixes that can be done, least of all with the Classifieds. I'm happy to take a look at it myself and see what can be done, in the end I do think that the classifieds just need to be forum based. Its easier to add and view ads and its easier to maintain and promote.
No longer on MASA - Find me at Reef2Reef

My 6' Journal

My 5x28x24 in-wall experience

My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 1:52 am

I liked the forum classifieds section but I also recall that it was becoming difficult to manage all those years ago. The new (back then) classifieds worked quite well and everyone had a PB account and could easily learn how to link a pic. Now with other platforms making pic uploads so easy the art of third party host linking is dying helped along by the shenanigans of aforementioned PB. I also believe a lot of the issue is people couldn't be stuffed mucking around. For instance I've tried imgbox as a PB alternative. Worked ok, I upload a resized image and then get the link. Easy until I got security warnings the other day between the thumbprint and the image page with the link. Lucky I didn't have too much there. So now I've tried imgur. Appears to be better but I still have the issue where I can't just resize the pic. I have an S10 phone and in Samsung's wisdom it does not have a resize function any more so the pic has to be emailed (where it can be resized although with limited options and no idea of the resultant pixle sizing), resized, uploaded and then linked.

On the other hand, the traffic seems quite a bit less these days so a forum based classifieds would probably be manageable. It needs to be actively moderated and I remember it keeping the moderators quite busy because no matter the quality of the pro-forma, the clear and concise instructions or the quality of the FAQs, there will be multiple f*k -ups requiring moderation.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NiCd » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 7:50 pm

It dosnt look like anyone has the mas(x) banners under their user names, are any of those groups around?
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 9:48 pm

Just testing the banner function
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 12:50 am

Synodontis wrote:Just testing the banner function

They seem to be showing.
CheezotheClown wrote:I liked the forum classifieds section but I also recall that it was becoming difficult to manage all those years ago. The new (back then) classifieds worked quite well and everyone had a PB account and could easily learn how to link a pic. Now with other platforms making pic uploads so easy the art of third party host linking is dying helped along by the shenanigans of aforementioned PB. I also believe a lot of the issue is people couldn't be stuffed mucking around. For instance I've tried imgbox as a PB alternative. Worked ok, I upload a resized image and then get the link. Easy until I got security warnings the other day between the thumbprint and the image page with the link. Lucky I didn't have too much there. So now I've tried imgur. Appears to be better but I still have the issue where I can't just resize the pic. I have an S10 phone and in Samsung's wisdom it does not have a resize function any more so the pic has to be emailed (where it can be resized although with limited options and no idea of the resultant pixle sizing), resized, uploaded and then linked.

On the other hand, the traffic seems quite a bit less these days so a forum based classifieds would probably be manageable. It needs to be actively moderated and I remember it keeping the moderators quite busy because no matter the quality of the pro-forma, the clear and concise instructions or the quality of the FAQs, there will be multiple f*k -ups requiring moderation.

Just thought I'd mention that I found the resizing function in imgur. It is there - you need to type in the new size after selecting to edit the pic. ie there is no need for me to email to myself to resize on the laptop.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Quombat » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 5:00 pm

I do see that MASA has a gallery, though the maximum image size available is quite small. I'm sure the answer will be $$s but what would it otherwise take to expand the native gallery? I'm thinking along the lines of what R2R seems to have... If linking images is a barrier and people are so used to the simplicity of forums like FB then it seems to me that this would need to be simplified to make it more accessible..
Quombat
Curious Reefer

Return to Site Announcements, Questions, Comments and Suggestions