• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cleanups / fixes / Make RTAW great again

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Cleanups / fixes / Make RTAW great again

Postby PranK » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 2:15 pm

I think there are more than a few people that want to see this place running at its optimal. I'm happy to put some of my time into it but we have lots to do.

• Emails - are these working? We can just use Sendgrid for ~$15 p/m to send mail for us.
  • Classifieds - Can we kill the classifieds app and just use a forum category? easier to use (both as buyer and seller), easier to maintain, easier to promote and index on Google.
  • Image hosting - is this possible? Theres not much traffic, so there wont be much in the way of image posts and views.
  • Forums clean up - there are SO many forum categories on here and only a small percentage are being used. There is just not enough traffic now and people are missing posts or simply overwhelmed by the number. Can we cull some?
  • Wiki management - there is a lot of info that needs to be in the wiki. The wiki itself needs updating also.
  • Admin input - theres a lot of threads about ideas and feedback and no response by any admin. If we're going to clean this place up we all need to be in.
  • Spam user cleanup and Captcha/Clean Talk implementation

Christian
Last edited by PranK on Tue 06 Oct, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My 6' Journal

My 5x28x24 in-wall experience

My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Cleanups / fixes / Make RTAW great again

Postby Basenji » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 11:23 am

Probably all worthwhile projects.
Image hosting is probably the main thing that I can see that would add significant value.
But I would hate to see modernisation of the platform at the expense of losing all the historical content contained on this forum.

My own thinking is that the thing that will attract people is quality input and discussion.
There's been so much effort and energy wasted over the years arguing about how to improve the forum.
The thing that made me wander away is that none of the experienced aquarists were interested in discussing aquariums, they only wanted to discuss (and argue) about administration.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 1:51 pm

I have to agree with Colin. I've been away something close to eight years. I've tried popping in a few times over that period but the pissing and moaning about the admin of the site and top it off with debate of a "like" button just sent me away again.
Last edited by CheezotheClown on Wed 23 Sep, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 2:58 pm

Definitely don't want to lose the historic content, its the most valuable thing on here.

We can do a lot of good without changing too much in terms of the UI but if we're going to need to discuss and argue about any and every change then I'll lose interest. The site is hanging on by its fingertips at the moment. I'd love to take it over myself but I've been blocked in that quest more than once. I have SAU.com.au which is a very popular, highly visited forum already. Its been running since 02 so I know whats needed.

Anyway, nothing can happen without admin / owner involvement anyway, so really our hands are tied until there's some interest from them.
My 6' Journal

My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 3:01 pm

I've edited my post as I think it may be taken the wrong way and a one sentence off-handed comment is probably part of the problem rather than the solution.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 6:57 pm

Need to clean up users and add some bot/spammer tests.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=78572
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby PranK » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 6:58 pm

Dr DBW hasnt been on for 5 years. Thats a big loss.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby PranK » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 7:00 pm

Sorry for spam, but like millions of spammers are on this site right now. memberlist.php?start=45450
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 7:47 pm

Aren't they all making something like $50000 a month from the luxury of their armchair at home?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 8:06 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:Aren't they all making something like $50000 a month from the luxury of their armchair at home?

Dang. No 'like' button.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 8:08 pm

:roflmao:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 1:32 pm

PranK wrote:Dr DBW hasnt been on for 5 years. Thats a big loss.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9

He didn't have an aquarium for many years before that, so it was good that he hung around as long as he did.
I'm still in periodic contact with him. His focus moved to family.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Postby PranK » Tue 06 Oct, 2020 4:52 pm

Deleted my post cause I was being an idiot.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 07 Oct, 2020 12:01 pm

Does anyone know who the current (contactable and active) Admins are, hosting costs, revenue, etc?

F/B integration would be a key (trying to run a forum without it is like trying to hold the surf back with a bucket).
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm trying to get that info now Macca. I'd love to get involved with the management group to get some stuff done.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 1:50 pm

I understand that Shona is still the person with admin access.
I was communicating with her via Facebook a few months ago when this site was down for an extended period.

Note that there is a MASA Facebook page which shares regular posts, but gets very little engagement
https://www.facebook.com/MarineAquarium ... sAustralia

Also an associated Facebook Group page which was only set up in July this year, but as yet has even less engagement
https://www.facebook.com/groups/reefingtheaustralianway
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby PranK » Fri 09 Oct, 2020 3:51 pm

Yep, Shona is who I have been chatting with this week.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 12 Oct, 2020 12:08 pm

Basenji wrote:I understand that Shona is still the person with admin access.
I was communicating with her via Facebook a few months ago when this site was down for an extended period.

Note that there is a MASA Facebook page which shares regular posts, but gets very little engagement
https://www.facebook.com/MarineAquarium ... sAustralia

Also an associated Facebook Group page which was only set up in July this year, but as yet has even less engagement
https://www.facebook.com/groups/reefingtheaustralianway

Imagine if every thread/reply here became a F/B post/reply and every post/reply on F/B was replicated back here as a reply to the topic/reply. (ie. true 2 way sync). Would increase traffic but not sure what the advantage of the forum over F/B would be (other than easier search and the classifieds section for livestock)
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:02 pm

Guys if I was to build a new Australian based forum for marine tanks would you be interested in that?
I'm not going to spend the time doing it if people arn't keen.

Basically, I'd start by making a really simple forum with a few categories (build threads, classifieds, livestock chat, equipment chat, general chat) and then go from there.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 12:08 pm

Maybe. Given there's next to no traffic here now I can't imagine a new forum being much different. The biggest drawback to a new forum is the history located here including the Reefpedia.

Do you think the present index page may be a bit daunting for new members? I was about to say that the index page could possibly be cleaned up but then had a look at it again and I don't really see much benefit in changing the grouping as is. Perhaps some of the forums could be archived such as the comp forum and at least one of the business forums. Otherwise many of the, what would be classified by the post date, zombie threads really still remain relevant.

Something's gone wrong here. Seems to have been an implosion around 2015 starting a few years earlier and taking a couple of years to peter out. In my circumstance I was overloaded with life good and bad outside the hobby and with the tank crash checking in here and seeing the same bitchy arguments resulted in me staying away.

I'm also on another forum, specific to a 4x4 vehicle brand, which is chugging along as normal. I haven't noticed an exodus to FB so I don't think it is a fair argument to lay all blame that way.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PranK » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 5:03 pm

Yeah, well managed forums seem to buck the trend a little bit and retain member traffic. I own https://www.sau.com.au/forums/ which is doing well. Definitely hit by FB but has a lot of regulars and a lot of historical knowledge.

I think that, despite ideas and good intentions, nothing will change here. Its been proven time and time again. I'd love a good AU alternative to Reef2reef.com but there isn't one. I'm not on FB, so those groups are not appealing to me at all.

If we could gather 10 members who add tank journals and some good discussion, we can definitely build up a knowledge base and even create our own wiki. I just want some members here to commit and I'll get it done.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 19 Oct, 2020 5:25 pm

The furthest I got on FB years ago was the privacy statement (yes I actually read it). :o just :o You agree to willingly have your privacy violated, violently too. Yeah nah.

I think I'd be interested but I really wonder if that same 10 just had a look in here whether that'd be enough spark to get the wheels turning again.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 9:52 am

reef2reef.com is a very active forum still.

reefcentral - not so much....

I think if a forum is going to survive it needs to be easy to upload pics, etc - esp from mobiles.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 10:13 am

Agreed but that would require hosting the pics too and I believe that's where cost really starts to become a serious consideration. PranK probably has much better insight here as to whether it's a viable proposition aside from cost consideration.

I was thinking what part PBucket had in the demise of the forum. Most likely a major factor for many other hobby forums including Reefcentral. Probably a last nail for many and ended in a "too hard" basket.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 10:52 am

PranK wrote:Guys if I was to build a new Australian based forum for marine tanks would you be interested in that?
I'm not going to spend the time doing it if people arn't keen.

For me, I'd be unlikely to use a new forum if it was set up. You really need a core group of people with a bit of drive to spawn a new community and get it firing.
I've kind of had all of that passion sucked out of me over the years.

This place still has good bones, and if it could be dragged into the 21st century might stand a chance of continuing.
Even with a somewhat faded brand, it still has the history and kernal of community to stand on.
As far as I know, MASOV, MASQ and MASWA are still going concerns, just that they've moved most of their activities to their own websites and Facebook groups.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby PranK » Tue 20 Oct, 2020 11:40 am

Hosting pics and mobile sites are easy. I have both with SAU. In fact I think we're at around 400GB hosted pics at the moment.

I'm so miffed at how this site has been allowed to just slowly die with zero care or concern. I am also miffed at how little the admins actually seem to care about the members that remain.

If you compare reef2reef with reefcentral you'll see the difference between a site growing due to its features and community inclusion and one that isn't because it never moved with the times and the members jumped ship to bigger and better options (reef2reef).
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 25 Oct, 2020 12:30 pm

PranK wrote:Hosting pics and mobile sites are easy. I have both with SAU. In fact I think we're at around 400GB hosted pics at the moment.

I'm so miffed at how this site has been allowed to just slowly die with zero care or concern. I am also miffed at how little the admins actually seem to care about the members that remain.

If you compare reef2reef with reefcentral you'll see the difference between a site growing due to its features and community inclusion and one that isn't because it never moved with the times and the members jumped ship to bigger and better options (reef2reef).

Would hit the like button if there was one....
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Site Announcements, Questions, Comments and Suggestions