• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING

Postby briano » Wed 24 Feb, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi, lots of people seem to comment on what you are allowed to collect but the rules seem to be unclear.

I have been collecting in NSW south of Sydney and sometimes north as far as the Sunshine Coast, since would you believe 1986 !

In that time I have been challenged three times by someone in uniform from Fisheries.

I admit on one of those occasions, the zoning of the area I would visit around once per year, had recently changed, and I was made to return my fish to the ocean.

On the other two occasions I had a friendly chat with the officers, who assured me that I was fine, and wished me all the best. They asked me about my tank, difficulty of keeping fish etc. They were really looking for Abalone and Lobsters.

This year as at Feb, 2016 appears to be a pretty good year. I have already caught lots of blue damsels, not going to catch anymore.
I have a Lemon Cheaterdon which are generally hardier than the others, some Dusky Cheaterdons, a Banner fish, 2 Picasso Triggers, and my favorite fish, the Comb Wrasse. The comb wrasse is underrated, It is beautiful, no trouble, one of the toughest fish ever, and for some reason usually easy to catch.
This season I have caught four, fairly small.
I also had the luck to see a pair of Golden Headed Sleepers, and even more luck that I was able to catch both. It is rare to see these so far south, I hope now I can keep them alive.
I have so far seen, one only, Yellow Tang, a Shoulder Tang, but couldn't catch it, maybe another time.

I am just trying to encourage anyone who likes diving to have a go. However it takes a lot of diving to discover the good spots.
If you want me to publish that, I would never see another good fish again.
Try sheltered spots in around 2 to 5 metres deep over rocky areas.
briano
Curious Reefer

Re: FROM MY RATHER LONG EXPERIENCE COLLECTING

Postby green troll » Wed 24 Feb, 2016 9:41 pm

Sounds great mate. How do u go about catching them.
green troll
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby briano » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks Troll, I use 2 hand nets around 300 mm size, You have to corner the fish, drive them into a place that is harder to escape from.
You cannot net them in open water, they will outsmart you every time.
briano
Curious Reefer

Postby noddym89 » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 9:39 pm

A yellow tang? I thought they were endemic to hawaii
noddym89
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby briano » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 10:03 am

Sorry, this is generally called Orange shoulder Tang, or Orange spot Tang.
As a juvenile it is the same shape as the common brown tang, but a solid yellow colour.
As it matures it develops an orange mark on its shoulder area, and as it matures further it loses its yellow colour and tends to brown with an orange mark.
This is not the very popular Yellow Sailfin Tang, from Hawaii zone, You won't see that one, you are right
briano
Curious Reefer

Postby Savage Henry » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 12:53 pm

briano wrote:This year as at Feb, 2016 appears to be a pretty good year. I have already caught lots of blue damsels, not going to catch anymore.
I have a Lemon Cheaterdon which are generally hardier than the others, some Dusky Cheaterdons, a Banner fish, 2 Picasso Triggers, and my favorite fish, the Comb Wrasse. The comb wrasse is underrated, It is beautiful, no trouble, one of the toughest fish ever, and for some reason usually easy to catch.
This season I have caught four, fairly small.
I also had the luck to see a pair of Golden Headed Sleepers, and even more luck that I was able to catch both. It is rare to see these so far south, I hope now I can keep them alive.
I have so far seen, one only, Yellow Tang, a Shoulder Tang, but couldn't catch it, maybe another time.

I also snorkel specifically to see what tropicals have come down to Sydney. This season started very well and I saw my first orange-shouldered tang and my first angelfish (keyhole angels). I also saw my first blue devilfish (which isn't tropical) yesterday. There were also the neon damsels and fire damsels. Lots of Sydney cardinal fish too. I also caught the smallest squid or cuttlefish I'd ever seen, but I let them go.

However, although the season started well, I noticed during the week the water has become very cold. When I dived during last week and on the weekend the only tropical I saw was a butterfly fish and it was really dark. I think the drop in temperature is due to the current outside running north. I am actually wondering if the tropical of this season are dead or have moved elsewhere.

I also found a few other oddities.
Savage Henry
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Sailfin » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 2:31 pm

You guys seen many seahorse's around species / numbers
Smile & have a Nice Day
Sailfin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby Savage Henry » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 3:05 pm

I haven't seen any seahorses recently, but then again I don't tend to go or look in weedy areas.

I did see a rose coloured anemone which I'd never seen before. Obviously temperate and not to be kept under tropical conditions.
Savage Henry
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby briano » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 3:10 pm

To Savage Henry, thank goodness the water has warmed up again, and looks like there is a whole new crop of juveniles.
I have never seen so many Yellow Shoulder Tangs, They might be called Orange Shoulder Tangs, but they are actually yellow.
I saw 2 Moorish Idols yesterday, and there are lots of Convict Tangs, Convicts are quite good in a reeftank, they help with the algae.
I saw a few triggers, the half white and half brown variety, so there should be some Picasos soon.
There are a lot of juvenile cleaner wrasses about.
I haven't seen any angels yet, we often see keyhole angels.
briano
Curious Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 3:24 pm

Wow sounds cool mate...

I am a huge fan of convicts
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Savage Henry » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 9:34 pm

Yeah, since my last post the current changed and ran South again and the water warmed up.

I have since seen many convict tangs and caught one, but released it after realising what it actually was. They are so small and cute.

I've also seen a lot of the keyhole angels, but you have to be almost eye level with them in front of their hide hole to see them. You won;t see them unless you specifically look for them.

I only saw a single yellow shoulder tang this season (it was the first I'd ever seen).

I haven't dived for about three weeks as I seemed to get ear aches a lot this season.

I haven't seen any Moorish Idols yet, but hope to have a snorkel or two before the season ends. I am hoping to get to Manly and have a snorkel with a few mates. Just need to wait until the water clears after the recent rain. I don't want another ear ache.
Savage Henry
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Callumkscott » Mon 23 May, 2016 1:28 pm

Hello mate, had a good read of your thread and it's interesting what you've written.
I would definitely look to collect my own fish and corals in conjunction with buying from my LFS once my new tank is set up and cycled.
I live in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast and I am told that the headlands around me contain corals and fish in abundance so will have a more seriously look into it in time, just need to make sure of my zoning first and I should be ok.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Callum
Remember there's More than one way to skin a cat
Callumkscott
Lurking Reefer

Postby Savage Henry » Wed 25 May, 2016 10:30 pm

There's a forum on South East Queensland where they show what they've collected themselves. Google it and you are sure to find it, otherwise I'll try and find it.

You might even join their club and go on collecting outings with them.
Savage Henry
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Callumkscott » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:49 am

I'd like that. Thanks alot
Remember there's More than one way to skin a cat
Callumkscott
Lurking Reefer

Return to Diving, Collection and Photography Forum