• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Collecting your own fish

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

Collecting your own fish

Postby Undertheworld » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi i am new here and i just wanted to know if it is legal to collect your own fish here in wollongong nsw and can someone please check for me
thank you :roflmao:
Undertheworld
Hi, I am new around here!

Re: Collecting your own fish

Postby noddym89 » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 11:28 pm

Not in nsw without a collection permit and a regular fishing licence. The permit is a form submitted to fisheries which you much provide details on what species, for what purpose, what areas and what times you will be collecting. From memory it's $100-150 bucks
noddym89
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby ozparagod » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 11:56 pm

i actually checked this morning, the permit is closer to $400 and is more aimed at commercial collectors as opposed to your own personal aquarium. You also have to provide maps of collection areas and an environmental impact statement.

I actually plan on calling DPI on Monday for a firm answer as personal use (ie no sale) is not really covered in their information which is quite vague.
ozparagod
Curious Reefer

Postby ozparagod » Sun 06 Dec, 2015 12:00 am

having said that, I collect "bait" at the moment.

DPI seems to be more interested in fish that have a commercial interest for human consumption. From what i have gathered so far, you can't collect from a marine protected zone, can't take any protected species, can't take rock or shells and can have a maximum of 20kg of algae/seaweed.
ozparagod
Curious Reefer

Postby Protoavis » Sun 06 Dec, 2015 8:09 am

ozparagod wrote:i actually checked this morning, the permit is closer to $400 and is more aimed at commercial collectors as opposed to your own personal aquarium. You also have to provide maps of collection areas and an environmental impact statement.

I actually plan on calling DPI on Monday for a firm answer as personal use (ie no sale) is not really covered in their information which is quite vague.

You likely won't get a firm answer no matter how often you try. You'll likely be told they have to check with someone else but they'll call you back....that call will never come. I've attempted contacting them a dozen times in the last 2 years about various freshwater species, despite calls, emails and physical letters...no response.
Protoavis
Lurking Reefer

Postby saltydog » Sun 06 Dec, 2015 2:28 pm

ozparagod wrote:i actually checked this morning, the permit is closer to $400 and is more aimed at commercial collectors as opposed to your own personal aquarium.

Apply for Section 37 Permits
What is a Section 37 Permit?
A Section 37 permit is required for any activity that involves taking or possessing fish or marine vegetation that would otherwise be unlawful under the Fisheries Management Act 1994. This includes activities such as:

Science or Research Collection
Aquarium Collection
Possessing Pacific Oysters
Collecting Marine Vegetation for Commercial Purposes

Schedule of Aquaculture Fees 2015/2016: Miscellaneous permits
Aquarium Collection Permit ........... (S. 37(1)(cb))S.37 ............. Admin Fee $178

See also: FISHERIES MANAGEMENT ACT 1994

Chris
DTSTTCPW
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Diving, Collection and Photography Forum