• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Photography - Extension Tube or Diopter Filter

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

Photography - Extension Tube or Diopter Filter

Postby potatocouch » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 4:12 pm

With 7D & 24-105 f4 .... what sort of additional gear should I get in order to capture macro in a reef tank?

Macro to be achieved is something like this:
courtesy of Kit's.

or something like this:
courtesy of Gem's & Sem's.

Extension Tube or Close-up filter?

I don't intend to spend fortune by buying additional Macro lens but understand that the final result may not be as sharp as the above.

Thinking of getting this extension tube below:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Ring-Macro-Extension-Tube-for-Canon-EOS-EF-DSLR-SLR-camera-/261253455872?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3cd3eb6000

or close-up filter (diopter) below:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171173021069?var=470305361682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
potatocouch
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Re: Photography - Extension Tube or Diopter Filter

Postby potatocouch » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 7:24 am

anyone?
potatocouch
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 9:38 am

I have extension tubes and they worked well. It took a bit of practice to get photos, and if you don't have patience they could be annoying. I have since bought a macro lens, so I don't tend to use them anymore. For the price, why not try both and report back! :nod: :-D
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Magicj » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:38 am

I also have a macro lens so can't help with your choices, sorry.

A macro lens also makes a great portrait lens :).
Magicj
Veteran Reefer

Postby potatocouch » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 11:02 am

Mr Miagi wrote:I have extension tubes and they worked well. It took a bit of practice to get photos, and if you don't have patience they could be annoying.

Mr Miagi, what sort of lens did you use with the extension tubes? Were they the cheapy extension tubes from eBay?

Were you able to take those shots as per above? I heard that all settings need to be manual, which I don't mind. All pumps off and high lights?

Mr Miagi wrote:For the price, why not try both and report back! :nod: :-D

hehe Mr Miagi, am considering about it but just for my general knowledge, I thought I asked here who have used both and to advise which one is better. I probably go with the ET.
potatocouch
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 2:19 pm

potatocouch wrote:
Mr Miagi wrote:I have extension tubes and they worked well. It took a bit of practice to get photos, and if you don't have patience they could be annoying.

Mr Miagi, what sort of lens did you use with the extension tubes? Were they the cheapy extension tubes from eBay?

Were you able to take those shots as per above? I heard that all settings need to be manual, which I don't mind. All pumps off and high lights?

Mr Miagi wrote:For the price, why not try both and report back! :nod: :-D

hehe Mr Miagi, am considering about it but just for my general knowledge, I thought I asked here who have used both and to advise which one is better. I probably go with the ET.

I did just buy the cheapo eBay versions. The item looks awesome on eBay, but as soon as it arrived, different story, lol. Im sure there are better extension tubes out there, other than the cheap Chinese plastic. Might have to visit a DSLR warehouse/camera store for that though. But for what it cost, bargain.

I was using them on the standard bread and butter 18-55mm lens which came with my 600D. I should get them out and have another play around. If you were super keen, there are some decent macrolenses out there which wont break the budget IMO. Ive done a lot of photography with my L100mm f2.8, including portraits, but depends of course on whether you want long term investment or just to have some fun.

If your shooting your tank, I tend to turn all pumps off to let detritus settle out and the polyps extend. At night is easiest, as you don't want any ambient light. Just tank lights in the room, shut all blinds, etc. Keep the lens parallel with the tank glass, have no angle down or up when shooting. Super clean glass is a no brainer too!

:thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby potatocouch » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 2:49 pm

Benny, was yours cheapy ET just a plain metal/plastic tubes or with circuit on it?
potatocouch
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 3:20 pm

potatocouch wrote:Benny, was yours cheapy ET just a plain metal/plastic tubes or with circuit on it?

Just the super cheapos like you found, but suited to the Canon 600D. It had three metal pins through each tube to let the body talk to the lens, other than that, nothing special. :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby kit » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 3:29 pm

There isn't really good or bad quality with extension tubes (in terms of image quality) because all it is is a hollow tube that brings the lens further away from the sensor.
Some tubes allow you to autofocus, but with tubes you really should be using live view and focussing manually.

Tubes are good to get you going but the reality is, because it allows you to bring the subject really close to the lens, your depth of field becomes very shallow.
You will need to run very small apetures to increase the depth of field, but in doing so you may need a tripod to handle the longer exposure times.

The best way would be to get a macro lens, but if money is a factor, then you can get by with extension tubes.
kit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Return to Diving, Collection and Photography Forum