• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Choosing the right camera

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

Choosing the right camera

Postby andowhy » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 10:40 am

Hi All,

So I am looking at purchasing a SLR camera, well have been meaning to for a while, but since embarking on my reef jourey its turned into a necessity. Just wondering are there any reef specific settings/options I should be looking for when choosing a camera? The majority of its use will be on the tank but it will also be used for holiday snaps etc.

Regards,
Darren
andowhy
Curious Reefer

Re: Choosing the right camera

Postby LPS fan » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 11:28 am

I'm no expert but in the same position. Looking for something with a big sensor, good ISO and strong video.
For reefing pics what you want a good macro lens and a stand (so you can take a high and low level exposure photo and combine)
Reef central has a whole forum for photography, perhaps ask there and include your budget?
LPS fan
Centurion Reefer

Postby andowhy » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 11:29 am

ahh didnt even know there was a photography thread, I'll read through the forum, so if this post is superfluous it can be locked.
andowhy
Curious Reefer

Postby Bandit » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 11:33 am

generally with SLRs, it is more about the quality of the glass you put in front of the body than the body itself.

Most SLRs these days will do what you need them to do. Manual focus, white balance, tripod mount etc etc etc

Invest in a good macro lens for your reef shots, a tripod and you are done.
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby germar74 » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 4:43 pm

something that was brought to my attention in last couple of days
I was checking prices at my favourite stores - BHPhoto, Camerapro and Cameras Direct
and my brother said check out Kogan - http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/cameras/
their prices are ridiculously cheap
even compared to other grey market importers
cheers Gerard
ps if you want to read real comments on cameras try www.dpreview.com
germar74
Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Fri 04 Jan, 2013 10:27 pm

have you considered the olympus OMD? would suit your holiday snaps well, decent glass, good image quality decent iso performance, great auto focus, full manual modes like a slr but more compact. oh and they are weathersealed also! i had a play on one and they are a great camera, can do everything my slr does
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dmanning » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 7:08 pm

Canon and Nikon have better Noise performance at high ISO, but are generally more expensive. And as everyone says good glass makes all the difference, try to go for a few constant large 2.8 aperture zoom lenses, and a handy macro prime lens. And keep the zoom constrained to a usefull range, eg 17-50mm or 50-200mm. For the body get something with 18mp or higher to give you more room for cropping images.

I have found http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au to be the cheapest place on Earth to get camera gear, and they have very fast delivery.
dmanning
Veteran Reefer

Postby dmanning » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 7:17 pm

Personally if money was an issue I woul go for the Nikon D5200 body, with a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 zoom, and a Tamron 50-200mm F2.8 zoom.
If money is not an issue go the Canon 5D Mk III, With some Ef USM lenses.
dmanning
Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 8:44 pm

i found the tamron 2.8 to be extreamly noisy, i moved on to the 24-105L f4 (canon lens)
much better lens overal, and the IS makes it similar to shooting at 2.8,
bang for buck you cant go past a 7D with one nice L series lens like the 24-105L imo , decent zoom range, weather sealed, good quality glass, IS,
$2200 will get you a 7d with a 24-105 or were you thinking less ?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Bandit » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 11:56 am

mattgreen wrote:i found the tamron 2.8 to be extreamly noisy, i moved on to the 24-105L f4 (canon lens)
much better lens overal, and the IS makes it similar to shooting at 2.8,
bang for buck you cant go past a 7D with one nice L series lens like the 24-105L imo , decent zoom range, weather sealed, good quality glass, IS,
$2200 will get you a 7d with a 24-105 or were you thinking less ?

I found the Tamron noisy too...

Might be able to score a second hand 5d Mk II for around that too...
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby andowhy » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 11:36 am

Great advice, thanks all. Looks like ill be shopping soon!
andowhy
Curious Reefer

Postby kit » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 12:03 pm

If you are looking for a camera to take photos of the tank and holiday snaps, have you considered a compact camera with macro functionality?

A lot of people don't like carrying SLR and lens on holidays, and compact cameras nowadays have good macro function.

If you do end up going down the SLR path, you will need to buy a macro lens. Most standard zoom lenses won't focus on objects any closer than around 30 or 40cm from the lens, so a macro lens is a must if you are to use it on your tank.
kit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby jsell » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 5:25 pm

Canon 5D Mk III, With some Ef USM lenses - hands down winner, pity about the cost.
jsell
Lurking Reefer

Postby Dan » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 10:32 pm

dmanning wrote:Canon and Nikon have better Noise performance at high ISO, but are generally more expensive. And as everyone says good glass makes all the difference, try to go for a few constant large 2.8 aperture zoom lenses, and a handy macro prime lens. And keep the zoom constrained to a usefull range, eg 17-50mm or 50-200mm. For the body get something with 18mp or higher to give you more room for cropping images.

I have found http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au to be the cheapest place on Earth to get camera gear, and they have very fast delivery.

Hey Dan do they ship original boxes etc? They are very cheap!
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dmanning » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 3:08 pm

Yep all original boxes, and the shipping isn't really cheap but sits around the $40.00 - $50.00 range, but I have never had to wait more than 5 days to get my order from them.
Even with the shipping cost they are still 30-70% cheaper than most retail.

Have ordered from them 4 times now, fastest package arrived in 3 days, all products have been perfect.
dmanning
Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 03 Aug, 2014 8:13 pm

Hey Guys, I'm going to bump this.

I'm looking into Getting a camera as i think it is a must have in this hobby but I have no idea about cameras and photography.

What's the best way to start and that has good macro aswell without blowing the bank?

:cheers:All.
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coit » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:20 am

How much is blowing the bank?

I went through the same thing recently over here -

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=257406

most of which is still relevant, I guess. I started out from the same point of knowing absolutely nothing at all about what I would even begin to need to do :D

If you want to assemble the cheapest thing possible that will "do macro" you can get away with quite small amounts of money (cheapest recent-ish 2nd hand nikkon/canon slr body, 2nd hand 55mm Nikon Micro-Nikkor / Canon Fd 50mm F3.5 Macro, or even just use extension tubes or a reverse lens mount on just about any old lens, cheap tripod) - like $500-600 or less. If you want something that is "nice" (recent model, nice interface, small size, good for other all-around use, fast burst shooting, fast autofocus, good video, other fancier features) you might be looking at more money than that (to say $900-1200).

Just bear in mind - I did weeks worth and loads research and I still came out of 'buying a camera' with 2 camera bodies :D. Also if you're shopping for new stuff - bookmark https://www.ozbargain.com.au/tag/camera - effectively the cheapest discounts you see on anything there are the 'real' camera prices, rec retail prices are purely for suckers.
coit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 8:46 pm

Awesome thanks Coit.

I wanted to keep it under $1000 after reading the other thread and doing a bit of research the Sony a6000 seems to be a winner the super fast AF will be good for me as I go to the F1 every year and will work well.

And the 30 mm macro lens seems to be a good start for the tank aswell.

Cheers again mate :thumbsup:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:01 pm

Also sony has a cash back offer on Sony a models atm to which is even better. ..
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coit » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:28 pm

NewyReefer wrote:Awesome thanks Coit.

I wanted to keep it under $1000 after reading the other thread and doing a bit of research the Sony a6000 seems to be a winner the super fast AF will be good for me as I go to the F1 every year and will work well.

A6000 looks good, the other really good one recently was the Fuji XA1 for $399 w/ kit lens (ozbargain says 'expired' but it still lets you add to cart at that price - so dunno), the kit lens is apparently quite good, the 60mm fuji macro is apparently fantastically good, puts it at like $1000 for a neat camera and 2 lenses.
coit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:31 pm

I just got a 404 error with that link :-s
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coit » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:33 pm

Hmm works fine in firefox and chrome here?

Code: Select all
http://gerrygibbscamerawarehouse.com.au/compact-mirrorless-cameras/fujifilm-x-a-cameras/fujifilm-x-a1-w-16-50mm-lens
coit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:35 pm

Na sorry may still not working, just keeps coming up error can't be found
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 6:39 pm

coit wrote:
NewyReefer wrote:Awesome thanks Coit.

A6000 looks good, the other really good one recently was the Fuji XA1 for $399 w/ kit lens (ozbargain says 'expired' but it still lets you add to cart at that price - so dunno), the kit lens is apparently quite good, the 60mm fuji macro is apparently fantastically good, puts it at like $1000 for a neat camera and 2 lenses.

Hey Coit, Just a update i ended up getting a A6000 yesterday and thanks to your ozbargain website i used it as ammo to get a really good price plus sony has a $100 cashback offer at the moment.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Super impressed with this and its so small and light, just need to learn how to use it now :roflmao:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coit » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 7:49 pm

Yeah we actually have very decent prices for cameras here, as long as you're prepared to wait out / hunt down bargains. Thanks to various bargain threads and cashbacks and pricing errors the total for my camera stuff came to like -$982 under RRP for everything (PEN PM2 kit, PEN E-P5 kit, Olympus 60mm macro, VF-4 viewfinder) and didn't need to touch grey market stuff. Still need to sell the spare kit lens too (which cost EIGHT DOLLARS) :D

There were even better ones I found running later, gerry gibbs ran a thing for the OMD E-M5 and 12-40mm Pro lens for ... basically the price of the lens alone. That had some serious arbitrage potential on ebay :D. Same with the VF-4, $300 viewfinder for $67, only ordered the one because I couldn't quite believe I would even get it. Then of course I did get it and I was so sad I didn't keep the error to myself (it was like that on the official au olympus site for like 7 hours) and clear 'em out :D
coit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 11:38 pm

Canon ftw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tank Journal:Jay's 60x45x45 reef
New Build:Jay's 800x800x500 Shallow cube

http://images.aquaticlog.com/aquarium/aquarium1449.png
"Born to bleed fighting to succeed. Built to endure what this world throws at me"
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 6:03 am

Pfffft Mirrorless way of the future man...
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Diving, Collection and Photography Forum