• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider with Calfo overflow.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider with Calfo overflow.

Postby malcomm » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 9:43 am

Introduction:
I've been into fresh water systems for more years than I care to remember but never marine.
About 8 months ago my 11 yr old son talked me into buying him a small, 2nd hand, 90 liter system. We new little about marine so this was a steep learning curve but even so we quickly outgrew what it offered.
Since we bought that, I've been collecting bits for a new system. With some substantial donations of 'unwanted stuff' from very kind people like Marcus, Adam and others (you know who you are) we are in a position to have a go at building this system. If not for them this project probably would have remained out of reach.
Also a big thanks to the 'experts' at MASA. Lots of advice has been sought and gained from you guys.

System Objectives:
Keep up my fish hobby.
Indulge my passion for lots of DIY.
Keep the kids interested in animals and particularly fish.
Provide an alternative to the TV.
Learn.

System Type:
Building a reef system of sorts. Purists stop reading now :laugh:
Lots of live rock with fish and coral that we like, but which don't necessarily belong together.

Display System:
Strike up Date:
Commenced chopping things up early April 2010

Display Tank:
5x2x2 Hai Yang marine tank. Kindly donated by Adam when he upgraded his system.
Existing weir to be removed and the holes glassed over. New 'Calfo coast to coast' style weir to be built across what was one end but is now the back.

Display Lighting:
Not sure yet.
We have some MH and T5 bits and pieces to get us going but I'm leaning towards LED's in the longer term.
This will have to wait until the cabinet has evolved to its final form so I can see what I have to play with and what I can afford.

Stand:
Custom timber. Made by me.
Basically tons of 90x45 or 70x35 pine. 1800mm long with 8 legs total comprising two bits of wood screwed together to spread the load.
This may seem overkill but we have a ceramic tiled floor which was laid by a tiler who teaches at TAFE but gained his qualifications from a cornflakes packet. The tiles are rather uneven :wall:
Individual leg length differences due to the tiles will be dealt with by epoxy putty pads into which the legs will be dropped and the cabinet leveled.
I figure there's around 130Kg on each leg so this should spread it around nicely.
No cupboard doors. The sides will have 'lift off' panels.

Hood:
Just the basic crown that came with the tank but it'll be integrated into the main cabinet. You'll need to see pics to understand this.

Sump:
Approx 4' x 15" x 18" incorporating a bit of everything (Fuge & DSB).

Refugium:
Should be part of the sump above.

Refugium Lighting:
Either a couple of 9w compact flouros or some T5 tubes.
Will be run on a reverse night time cycle.

Support systems:
System Water:
Planning for NSW.
Currently installing 5 x 200l cascaded rainwater tanks to handle this.
No idea how I'll get the water into the house. Probably just a pump, hose and extension lead rolled out as required.

Display Water circulation:
Mainly as a function of the return pump but supplemented by a closed loop comprising a 4000l pump and some Loc-Line. All mounted through the end of the tank but hidden in the rock.
Also have a couple of cheap wave-makers which I don't want to use but have available.

Return Pump:
AquaMedic OR6500 pump @ 6500 liters.
This will drive a 20mm pvc loop mounted around the crown. Approx 7 x 1/2" Loc-Line nozzles should add some turbulence back into the water.
As back pressure effects are unknown, this will be fine tuned according to reality.

Skimmer:
Have a Reef Octopus NW200 'in sump' model but am looking for a big external. This will free up sump space for the fuge.

Evaporation Top Up:
Will build some sort of automated system dependant on how everything else turns out.
Have water availability in the garage so some sort of RO tank is on the cards.

Chiller:
Totally overkill monster AquaMedic 1.5Hp model.
It'll live in the garage.

Other:
System controller from the 'group buy' stuff.
Large UPS power supply will also live in the garage.
DeBary 25w UV steriliser

Chemical Support:
No idea as its way outside my knowledge at this stage.
As I have some of the system located through the wall in the garage, its pretty easy to add extra ideas in at a later stage.

Calcium Addition:
TBD but the substrate is Aragonite

Alkalinity Addition:
TBD

Other Chemical Maintenance:
TBD

Current Water Chemistry:
Not relevant
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesium:

These pics are of the donor Hai Yang tank before any mods were carried out. Just figuring out heights with our standard units of measure - the milk crate. Actually going to be closer to 3 crates high.
This is roughly where the tank will live. This is an enormous open plan area comprising a huge kitchen, dining space, lounge and my freshwater tank area.
To the left is the dining space. Through the wall/door is the garage where a lot of hardware will reside. To the right is the lounge space. This assembly will become a room divider to break up these spaces a bit.

Cabinet kitset creation. Started out on the cabinet components. Settled on 70x35 pine rebated and screwed together. I love power tools.

Cabinet assembly time. The sub-frames are complete, just have to screw them together and keep it square.
This construction method gives me 8 x 70x70 feet to spread the weight over ceramic tiles.

This pic gives an idea of what I'm building. The turret will be against the wall hiding the plumbing etc. The height is to be determined but most likely will be as shown. This is the height of a hutch cabinet you can see in some pics. I'll make some matching crown moldings to carry the flow between room areas. Also from the top, there'll probably be a 'scaffold' protruding to hang lighting off.
Currently looking at external skimmers so as to free up sump space. The skimmer cup should be just above the table surface so no bending down top deal with it. However the skimmer may be too noisy with the cabinet base acting as a sounding board in which case its through the wall into the garage also.
The table top was salvaged from the donor tanks original cabinet. The Hai Yang Is unusual in that there's no foam under the tank. The tank is stuck to another slab of timber and simply sits on top of this table. I'm uncomfortable with this so a lot of effort has gone into getting the cabinet flat and square to stop any distortions. Placing any foam in there would look stupid as there's no side trim hiding anything so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.
You can see the 4ft sump and RO DW200 skimmer against the left hand wall. That’s where it may live (the display is on the other side of the wall) and its proposed height of 2 milk crates. There’s a drop between the lounge and garage floors so there's plenty of gravity available.

Original weir that I've cut out but it was damned hard to remove. I used a lot of turps to soften up the silicon but great care was needed to ensure it didn't dribble onto the tank silicon. The slab of glass that’s flat against the tank side will remain. Simply too hard to remove unless someone has a great solution for me that doesn't involve replacing the entire sheet of glass.

Old weir's gone and this is the proposed replacement weir. Its a Calfo 'coast to coast' style with three down pipes - 2 active and one emergency. Supposed to be totally silent.
The inspiration for this came from here - http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx & http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585
The cardboard show the glass I have to cut. You can see texter markings on the glass showing overflow holes and elbow locations.

Bulkhead hole cutting. I figured that this should be dead simple despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the topic. I upended the tank so I could keep cooling water in the cut. Made a template hole in a piece of wood and clamped another piece of wood on the other side to prevent any hole blow out and relieve any pressure from cutting. Just had to top up the template hole with water (which didn't run out anywhere) negating the 'Blue Tac' dam I built around it.

That’s where I'm up to. I've ordered lots of plumbing so I'm trying to finish the cabinet whilst I wait for that to arrive.
More updates later.

Cheers
Malcom

:banana:
Last edited by malcomm on Sat 15 May, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malcom's 5x2x2 Room Divider

Re: Malcom's 5x2x2 reef

Postby Steve Campbell » Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:58 am

Well done Malcom, that stand looks great, timber work is very therapeutic.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That simple jig for the glass holes is such a good idea. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve Campbell
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pilonstar » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 4:23 pm

:withyou:

Nice job mate!

:cheers:
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby MG5 » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 9:45 pm

hey Malcom,

Great job. When your ready for livestock give me a yell. I should be able to give you a few things....
MG5
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Lutjanus » Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:39 pm

What size fittings are you using for the plumbing?
Lutjanus
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
QLD Reefer

Postby malcomm » Sun 25 Apr, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for the support guys. Much appreciated.

Lutjanus, The overflow system and input to the closed loop is all 25mm but pretty much everything else will be 20mm.

cheers
Malcom

Re: Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider

Postby malcomm » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:19 am

Juast a couple of pics that might interest someone.
This is the sump I'm going to build. Skimmer external to the sump. Not sure yet wether the skimmer will be under the display or remote in the garage.
Baffler heights will be determined when I have the display finished.
Sump will start off under the display but if too noisy, will move to the garage also.

This ones an exploded view of the guts of the cabinet.
Last edited by malcomm on Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby siddr20 » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:52 pm

Its coming along nicely :)
siddr20
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Updated Apr 30

Postby malcomm » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 8:58 am

Bit of an update.
The cabinet frame is now in its final position but its sitting on ceramic floor tiles which are a bit uneven.
To combat this, I jacked up corners untill the tank was level. Epoxy putty was then inserted under the feet. The cabinets weight squeezed the excess out and voila - levelled cab with brilliant weight distribution on ceramic tiles. The excess is trimmed as its curing.

Painted the end of the tank thats sits against the wall. Otherwise you'd see all the plumbing through the tank. The trank is reversed for painting and pre-plumbing purposes.

Plumbing has begun. The stuff attached to the end of the tank can all be disconnected so the tank can be removed if required.
Theres a horizontal weir to be installed on the inside. Should have the glass tomorrow.
The 3 overflow downtubes are from left to right, emergency, backup and primary siphon.
The primary siphon has a T for the recirc skimmer which is through the wall in the garage and will be gravity fed.
The bottom two pipes are for a closed loop pump.

Postby shannonpayne86 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:28 am

Holy smokes, lovely work and that's some nice plumbing. Clever idea with the epoxy aswell.
shannonpayne86
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 2:07 pm

great DIY skills, very interesting build :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby adammcintyre » Sun 02 May, 2010 10:43 pm

Nice job Malcom... Looks alot better now then the dirty old unused tank sitting in my car port, when you picked it up...
adammcintyre
Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Re: Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider - Updated 10 May

Postby malcomm » Mon 10 May, 2010 8:29 am

I've abandoned the display for a while and moved on to the sump.
This has been the subject of a lot of MASA discussuion which you can read about here if you want more detail.
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=214874

Having sorted out the design with a lot of expert help, construction starts.
This is a second hand sump which I then gutted and stripped back to the base shell. I used 4x2 scrap as spacers to position the baffles where I wanted them and keep everything parallel.
To get some some silicon into the joint between baffle and tank, I put the clamps into expand mode and gently widened the tank so I could squirt silicon into the junction. Release the clamps and splat, silicon done.

And so on up to the top.
Note the flat glass strap after the topmost baffle. Thats to allow a removable baffle so I can vacuum out detritus etc. I did this by using scrap glass and a business card as a spacer.

And here it is. Sorry for the crap pic.

Had to drill a drain hole in the glass so out with the template jig again.
You can see the removable baffle divider guides here. To create a seal at the baffles base, I put a bead of silicon on the sump base and then coated the edge of the baffle in petroleum jelly and pressed it home. When the silicon has set, pull the baffle out and clean out all the jelly.

Close up of the removable baffle area.

Here's the completed sump-
The vertical pipe connected to the tap is for water changes. NSW will be introduced at the sumps return end and the tap opened. Old water will overflow from the display and down this pipe and out to the drains.
The pipes final length is to be determined.

Update:- Return manifold finished.

Postby malcomm » Fri 14 May, 2010 9:09 am

Done a bit of work on the return manifold.
This is a 20mm PVC loop that runs around the perimeter of the crown. 7 Loc-Line jest let the water back into the display.
The loop takes the full output of the return pump which currently will be an OR6500 and should give some 4500 lph at the crown. This may be upgraded to a Laguna 7500 by the time the display is ready.
The loop is fed from a 25mm T and union.

Here's the loop built up and painted.

The loop with Loc-Line installed.

The return fitted to the crown. It simply drops into place with a union fitting allowing easy removal.

Re: Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider - water filled update

Postby malcomm » Sat 15 May, 2010 8:15 pm

Just a quick update in case anyone is contemplating a Beananimal/calfo overflow system.

Posting this here in case you are drilling glass this weekend and don't check your other email till Monday.

Filled up the tanks with freshwater today to see what would really happen with the plumbing. Mixed results.
No leaks and the sump etc works a treat, power out water levels were exactly as predicted but the weir level may be a bit low, however that's with a 6500 pump and I have a 9500 in the mail so this level will be negated.

If you are contemplating a return loop in the crown like mine and want to use Loc-Line jets on the return, don't use the Guppy 150mm ones. They are a clone and weep at every single join. Its not due to excessive pressure as there are seven jets and they aren't pushing forth any real jet.

The Calfo did not work quite as I hoped.
I was tapping off the primary siphon to run my external skimmer. If you are thinking doing of this - DON'T.
The bloody primary siphon will not start unless everything else is overflowing. I believe this is due to turbulence at the T intersection not allowing the flow to get moving before the secondary pipe takes over and siphons beautifully leaving the primary doing exactly nothing - no flow at all, can you believe that.
So I have to empty and remove the tank, cut that T out, couple the line and drill another outlet in the glass for the skimmer and rebuild it all, however I'm of two minds as to wether this will work anyway. An extra dedicated siphon to the skimmer may well stuff up the primary.

20mm pipe is way more than necessary for a 6500 l/h pump. I have to choke off the siphon with the ball valve by some 20% so there's lots of extra capacity. Make sure you have installed valves in your plan. You really only need one in the primary but I stuck one on all three for maintenance purposes.

Note. Do you realise that the top caps on the overflow elbows are not glued on!!! Beananimals design had screw caps which you can't get here however I don't think it says anywhere that these are removable for a reason - cleaning. Don't glue them on.
I used Vaseline around the cap surface and pushed them home. Works fine and I can get them off.

So you start it with all valves fully open (incl the air one on the secondary pipe). The primary should suck madly and completely empty the weir so you then back off its valve and get the weir level up to about halfway up the holes in the glass at which point the excess dribbles down the secondary but at such a slow rate that there is no noise.
Works beautifully and absolutely no noise.

Hope this helps someone.

Here's the skimmer T junction that has to go.

Here's the weir water level when everything is working correctly.

Re: Malcom's 5x2x2 room divider with Calfo overflow.

Postby Lutjanus » Sun 16 May, 2010 7:36 pm

Excellent return manifold,

You just convinced me not to get the locline ones from the online store you mentioned :konk:

I am doing the BeanAnimal setup for the second time on my current tank.
First time worked a charm.

After reading 40+ pages on ReefCentral, it also states that the syphon should be 5mm lower to allow water to flow into it first.

This time its in a modified wier and its alot easier for me to regulate water/standpipe heights.

My skimmer is fed directly from the overflow, but it takes the whole lot - not sure if that makes a difference with the syphon starting.
Lutjanus
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
QLD Reefer

Postby malcomm » Mon 17 May, 2010 9:43 am

Lutjanus wrote:Excellent return manifold,

You just convinced me not to get the locline ones from the online store you mentioned :konk:

I am doing the BeanAnimal setup for the second time on my current tank.
First time worked a charm.

After reading 40+ pages on ReefCentral, it also states that the syphon should be 5mm lower to allow water to flow into it first.

This time its in a modified wier and its alot easier for me to regulate water/standpipe heights.

My skimmer is fed directly from the overflow, but it takes the whole lot - not sure if that makes a difference with the syphon starting.

Hi Lutjanus
How big is your tank and downpipes?
I'm running 20mm pipes and have the Marine Sources MS-A-200-2-6540 dual pump skimmer. Its a monster skimmer but no way could it take the entire 20mm flow.
Current pump is rated at 6500 l/h so will have a head value of some 4500l/h. There's no way thats going down the skimmer which I gather is looking for a feed rate of around 1500-2000 l/h.

Guess I'll have to drill another bulkhead and 'try and see'

I'll post some pics of the Loc-line problem soon so people can judge for themselves its fantastic performance (not).
Caio at Aus Frags sell the real stuff without all the agro that goes with our other friend. Also in a post bag at half the freight rate.

Postby Lutjanus » Mon 17 May, 2010 3:39 pm

Tank is 5ft x 30in x 24in high.
I used 3 x 25mm standpipes

Return pump is Laguna 6000.

Return is T'd to chiller, about 1500L
Rest goes to tank - about 2500-3000 with head loss.

My skimmer can handle the lot from the overflow. - Super Reef Octopus 5000 External model.

I think you could run 2 syphons - just be a bit tricky tuning them both in.
Lutjanus
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
QLD Reefer

Postby malcomm » Mon 17 May, 2010 10:08 pm

Just had a look up the entry pipe on the skimmer and its narrowest width is 16mm so thats no good for running the 25mm siphon into.
I think I'm set on drilling another overflow hole just for the skimmer feed. I can always cap it if I change my mind but emptying and filling the tank to try things is a pain in the bum.

No problems with T'ing the return to feed the chiller?
I was contemplating that also but haven't got there yet.
Are you running a valve on both T outputs or just the chiller branch?

Postby Lutjanus » Tue 18 May, 2010 5:42 pm

I made a return manifold which has 3 outlets on it -
2 x 20mm outlets for the return + chiller = each with valves to regulate flow
1 x 6mm JG fitting for feeding the calcium reactor - with a valve also.

This way I can fully isolate each piece of equipment for maintenance.
Lutjanus
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
QLD Reefer

Postby malcomm » Wed 26 May, 2010 8:58 am

Finished off my closed loop display bits in the weekend.
This is a 25mm bulkhead intake feeding either an OR3500 or OR6500 pump. That returns via a 20mm bulkhead with about 400mm head height.
A Loc-Line distribution tree comprising 20mm trunk and 12mm branches distributes the current.
The idea is that this will all be hidden in the rock work but the nozzles can be pointed to wherever dead spots occur.
Between these and the manifold return, I'm hopeful that I wont need the wave makers I have sitting the shelf. I don't like the look of those things in tanks and want to keep it all as natural looking as much as possible.

You can see where the old weir was removed and glassed over.

Where's the comments guys?
Am I doing such a good job that no comments arise...

Postby Lukey » Wed 26 May, 2010 9:49 am

Well i've found it very impressive so far, can't comment ont he overflow but sounds like you're making it overly complicated tbh (with my limited knowledge of the bean animal design mind you). You want an overflow to be as simple as possible really, with some redundancy should it need it. Complicating things just leaves more more potential problems imo. I'd personally just be t-ing off the skimmer from your primarily line and letting it do the siphoning as it usually would, unless you said this didnt work and I missinterpreted?

I ran a 25mm drain overflow directly into my skimmer which was significantly smaller than yours. Not ideal, but still seemed to do a great job of it. I suppose if you can get it right now though it'd be better to do...
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby malcomm » Wed 26 May, 2010 11:32 am

Lukey wrote:Well i've found it very impressive so far, can't comment ont he overflow but sounds like you're making it overly complicated tbh (with my limited knowledge of the bean animal design mind you). You want an overflow to be as simple as possible really, with some redundancy should it need it. Complicating things just leaves more more potential problems imo. I'd personally just be t-ing off the skimmer from your primarily line and letting it do the siphoning as it usually would, unless you said this didnt work and I missinterpreted?

I ran a 25mm drain overflow directly into my skimmer which was significantly smaller than yours. Not ideal, but still seemed to do a great job of it. I suppose if you can get it right now though it'd be better to do...

Hi Lukey
I started out with the skimmer feeding from a T on the full siphon pipe but couldn't get either branch of the T to start reliably, if at all. The open channel would kick in instead and the siphon would stay dry.
There is some issue with a hydraulic lock at the T junction but I couldn't figure it out, mucking about with valves would sort it out quickly enough but it wasn't predictable at power on. Shortened the point of entry for the pipes into the sump so they are just 10mm under the surface which helped a bit but didn't really do much. I had lots of discussions with a hydraulics engineer in the USA who runs a Bean but he couldn't figure it either. Such is life...
Anyway I gave up on that and drilled a separate 4th bulkhead just for the skimmer and its working fine.

Nothing complicated about it, just saving some electricity. If you have enough head pressure you should be able to do just about anything.

Got the tank filled with NSW last night so will get some pics of the plumbing in the next few days so you can see what I'm on about.

cheers

Postby malcomm » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 7:54 am

Last weekend I finished off patching & painting the garage wall. Built shelving, cut holes in the wall to get to the display.
last night I plumbed in the skimmer and fired it up.

Heres the patched & painted wall-

And this is what it looks like installed-

Postby fishguy23 » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 2:20 pm

looking good
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby les82 » Tue 08 Jun, 2010 2:52 pm

good work mate, coming along nicely :thumbsup:
cheers Les & Kirsty

LesandKirsty's6X2X2
les82
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby malcomm » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 8:56 am

Time for some updates.

Heres a shot of my NSW storage.
It consists of 5 x 200 liter rainwater tanks cascaded. The tanks came from Ebay as a flat pack, basically a cylinder with a bladder inside. Not ideal but cheap and it works.
Cut some filling holes in the lids to get the tankers pipe inside, thats the lid sticking up on tank #1. Had to glue some perspex over the usual rainwater entry points to keep rainwater out but thats about all. They come with a base too so its not too hard to level them.
Come with taps with threads so I plumbed the lot into the pipe you see at the base. The vertical tube acts as a 'sight glass' so I can see how much water remains in the tanks.
I just plug on a pump when I need the water.

Postby pilonstar » Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:09 am

Wow!!! Such amazing setup DIY!!! Really nice skills malcom!
The plumbing looks great!!
Can't wait to see it runing!
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby malcomm » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 8:13 am

As I've finished with the top part of the cabinet, I've started cladding the frame.
Had to make my own custom molding for the top trim as I'm trying to tie the cabinet in with other dinning room and lounge furniture. Wound up making that out of cypress so as to take advantage of its fantastic grain structure. polishes up beautifully.
Here's the profile I routed out.

The Crown is permanently glued and fixed to the framing but theres a rebate cut into it so that the side panels can slide up under it and clip into place.

You'll note theres a notch cut out in the middle of the molding. Thats to locate the end of a horizontal lighting bar. Lights will hang down from this.
Currently some metal halides but if our kitchen rebuild comes in under budget then I think some Maxspects will be fitted.

Postby malcomm » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 8:41 am

Finished off the turret paneling this week.
The side panels slide up under the crown molding and clip into place.

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)