• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Lukey's 3ftx37x50 Reef + Seahorse tank [Update 1st Sep 2010]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Lukey's 3ftx37x50 Reef + Seahorse tank [Update 1st Sep 2010]

Postby Lukey » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:18 pm

So firstly the template I suppose!

Introduction:
Well girlfriend actually kicked thing into actions by saying she wanted seahorses. It seemed easy enough, and then I actually started doing it. She wanted to stop half way through as it was all getting a bit involved but I made her keep going (well so I could keep going anyways). I have become well and truly addicted, this is my first salt water tank so much to learn, but is fun doing so!

System Objectives: Hopefully a nice looking 3 foot tank with some seahorses living happily within it and eventually some corals to liven the tank up. Ideally i'd like 3 pairs of seahorses in there, i'll keep the names a surprise for now but when I get my first two you should be able to work it out...

System Type: Planning on the seahorses, no fish, some peppermint shrimps, snails, and some SPS corals, Zoa's, etc.

Display System:

Strike up Date: Sunday 27th of September, 2009.

Display Tank: Standard 3 foot tank size.

Display Lighting: Currently a simple 36W Powerglo, but soon to be upgraded to an LED lighting system.

Stand: Old, feral looking, needs a coat of paint and some new doors!

Hood: Equally as feral looking, although not planning to utilise one anyway.

Sump: Standard 2 foot sump with baffles. Baffle for air bubbles to smooth out in first section, then refugium in center of sump, then final baffle with pump enclosed to return water to main tank.

Refugium: Currently deep sea sand and macro algae, soon to be dead bleached coral drilled with areas for the pods to live in and hopefully make a nice little colony in there.

Refugium Lighting: 2 foot fleorescent lighting.

Support systems:

System Water: Artificial salt water, Tropic Marin Pro, iirc. The stuff is excellent, dissolved very very well, it's a super fine salt. Highly recommended.

Display Water circulation: One power head which is a Koralias copy, just directed to softly move the water and slightly break the surface of the water, without blasting the poor seahorses too much.

Return Pump:3200lph AquaOne (model 106 I think?).

Skimmer: Marine Sources 6530 external skimmer, 700lph.

Evaporation Top Up: Manual and driving me nuts, planning to upgrade to automatic top up but still on the wish list towards the end at this stage in time.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition:

Alkilinity Addition:

Other Chemical Maintenance:
Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Image of when the tankw as first bought, ewww nasty image!

Last edited by Lukey on Wed 01 Sep, 2010 11:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:24 pm

And first of all I started working on the sump design as this was a crucial part of the plan to me, I want a sump and the idea of a refugium appealed heavily to me, it does many things to improve your tank and is a very worthy investment in my opinion.

This was made by myself, and the weld-on #16 didn't do a good enough job so I ended up getting some Titan Bond Plus to seal that baby up, that glue is bloody amazing, definately recommended, particularly to anyone working with glass and acrylic in an underwater environment. About the only thing which will do the job and do it properly, albeit it is a bit expensive.

Here's a more detailed pictorial:

A couple of these mistakes along the way, I advise you to not get over excited with the jigsaw and/or router. I had two of these cracks, both easily fixed by heating up the pieces and joining them back up. The crack is still present but they are fully melted together and almost 100% back to strength.

Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:39 pm

nice job on the overflow :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:09 am

Cheers mate am playing catch up on the journal right now heh, about to add seahorses tonight so need to pull my finger out!!!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby danger_dave » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:28 am

where you getting your seahorses?
danger_dave
Veteran Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:37 am

From "All About Fish" in Warners Bay. They are the cheapest I could find in Newcastle, plus they have a 20% off tonight for members and also have been helpful and nice to me when i've been in there.

You use them? If so, heading in tonight for anything?

Will post up some pics of what I did with my sump and the overflow in action later on.
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Adam007 » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:11 pm

Our current forum software does not allow posts to be merged, so as the OP started two topics on this here is Phil's post from the other (deleted) topic:

-Phil- wrote:hi,

I also have a 3 foot on a uni budget so it can be done.

seahorses like things to hold onto and they can irritate the sps and other corals sometimes even to death. If you havnt already do a search on seahorse compatability.

A few thing i think you should do:
- get a and ATO (Automatic Top Off) which you already are
- get a Reverse osmosis unit to produce your fresh water
- Get a largewater storage barrel (500L is fine) and get NSW delivered so that you arent spending so much on salt mixes.

Let me guess the LFS "highly recommended" it? it may very well be a good salt but depending on delivery prices it would be cheaper to get NSW delivered.
I can get 500L for ~$80 delivered which lasts me 6+ months and i dont have to mix anything..
HTH

Cheers,
Phil

PS you should also join MASS :poke:
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:45 pm

Cheers admin. And I find mixing my own fine, mind you the water tank option really isn't an option. I'm in a share house with friends and landlord an such
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 6:34 pm

reserved for catching up!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 6:38 pm

So anyways rather than spamming fish discussions I decided this should be in the journal!

Lukey wrote:Well the seahorses are in, those silly little suckers have gone to complete opposite corners of the tank when we put them in there!

Hopefully they'll find each other through the night/tomorrow morning. They seem a little frightened right now, but I guess that is to be expected going from a 6inchx6inch cube to a 3 foot tank hehe.

Just hoping nothing goes wrong right now, and they enjoy their new home! Geeze I am worried though, the shrimp are in and flocked straight to the stocking sock over the power head, guess it was the first thing they could get too! Got three of the suckers in there to hopefully give the tank a work over anyways.

Thanks for the help thus far Andrea, lets hope they do well. Like I said though, I am still very nervous. Perhaps just because they're so frail looking! Just hope Joey and Phoebe meet each other and get along now....

AndreaSA wrote:
That's okay ... they do tend to take a day or so to get used to their new tank. Gas exchange is really important ... steady PH ... and lots of hitches - the rest is just about time and letting them get used to their new space.

Remember clean hands in there at all times (no soap washing - just hot water)

Do get them used to being handled ... maybe not right away but when they're a bit more relaxed and curious. If you have a diatom bloom coming then you may want to 'gently' brush off any that sticks to them. An open air line with a hitch works well for them to clean any algae off themselves but failing that, they may need your help.

Well done by the way ... Smile

Lukey wrote:
Well I pretty much couldn't sleep AT ALL last night. Too excited/worried about my wonderful pets.

I have the power head aimed more towards the surface for now to make sure it's not too in their face as they settle in, i've got a few spots to hide away from the current if they need anyways. Will keep the air pump going as well!

Joey has moved onto the new plastic coral we put in yesterday which is nice to see! Phoebe has barely move though, still sitting with her head right over the damn output bar from the sump as well! It wouldn't have much pressure anyways (roughly 20 holes over 3 feet length in a piece of pvc pipe) however surely she could have picked somewhere else!!!

The peppies have found some new rocks to hide under and call home. It was amusing when one peppie found Joey, got within about 5mm of him then the peppie did a runner when Joey moved towards him, go team seahorses!!! ROFLMAO

Anyways that's the general bit behind it, more details info in the longer thread here if you want to sift through anything.

Joey:

Phoebe and Joey (Phoebe being black with white dots, sorry for the crap photos camera won't focus on her very well...):

Phoebe has learnt that if she lets her tail go she'll go soaring to the top from the holes with water coming out of them. She has done it a few times now, think she actually quite enjoys it, curls herself up into a ball!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 6:47 pm

After my initial worries about Phoebe she really seems to have come good. As the day progressed she ventured out to see more and more of her new world and would curl up her tail and let the currents gently float her round the tank, stopping every so often to scoop up any of the copepods on the tank wall she can!

Joey has been doing much the same, just floating through the tank as he pleases, being pushed round by the various currents, however he doesn't even bat an eyelid at the copepods! He is a fair bit bigger though, he seems to like the bigger food, whilst Phoebe struggles with the bigger chunks of shrimp.

They seem to be really settling in now to be honest, and Phoebe even stuck her head inside the ornamental barrel earlier (with bubbles coming out of it) and then went and sat in there amongst them all later on.

I'm very excited so far, very excited :cheers:

edit: Also found a hitchhiker earlier on, initial estimates was a 5cm bristle worm, but this guy would have to be at least 10cm or so! He has been hiding under some rocks and venturing out when i've fed the tank.
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby glory_angel21 » Sat 31 Oct, 2009 5:42 pm

Hehe I know exactly how excited you feel. Since i put my seahorses into their tank today, ive barely left its side, always watching and seeing what they are up to!

They all have very different personalities too!
glory_angel21
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 4:41 pm

So anyways I dunno if I can be bothered to fill in the gaps right now, but basically I found myself with a few problems. Firstly, my sump has died a painful death (let that be a lesson to you, do NOT use glass and acrylic together). It's a nightmare, I bought a 2 foot replacement however it's too white and slightly higher and this one is pretty difficult to get into at the best of times.

So now i'm left with a few problems, because as you can see from this photo the cabinet it is on has a brace at the front of it and as such i'll need to get in behind to get the new sump in there (which I did with this one, however this one is far more wide than the new one so i'd need to get the cabinet a fair way from the wall). I'm thinking I managed to move it 30cm or so with a full tank, so perhaps if I empty out half the display tank worth of water, then I could move it, get new sump in, then fill it back up (using same water). Would this cause any real issues? I assume not but would like to make sure... It may mean some live rock is out of water for 5-10 minutes max but that should be fine.

However for maintenance of stuff like the sump, I could barely get that out of there now, and with the new sump's extra height I won't even have room to get it out I don't imagine, which will make cleaning it quite frustrating to say the least. As the sump is actually wide I was thinking of actually have it reduced slightly in height (although dunno how hard this is to do whilst it'd actually all connected, could a glazier do it easy enough?). Basically right now my calculated sump capacity is 62*30*36, 67L total. Whilst my new sump is 110L (60*46*40). So I am contemplating if it is possible having the new sump cut down to 33cm height which with some better foam (thinner more uniform) underneath it will give me another 4-5cm of room to get into the sump should I need to. It would reduce the new sump capacity to 91L which is still a good 30%+ more than it is currently. Comments here please! :poke: (Oh and I don't need to worry bout skimmer heights, it's external)

So lots of work ahead of me. I also added some striped periwinkles from down the beach on rocks, got some big ones and damn they are awesome cleaners. Here's a photo of them in action....

And here is my home-made egg nest so stop stuff eating them, I think they were turbo snail eggs :)

The periwinkles do an amazing job on the algae, even the green algae, they didn't stop munching on the front glass of my tank till nearly all of it was gone (some bits a bit tough probably). They sometimes wander towards the top of the water (being inter tidal) but haven't seen any actually go out yet (touch wood).

Oh and the new LED lights, well I got those over a week ago now, and they're bloody awesome! Only have a Xenia and a few Zoa's in the tank right now, but I placed the Xenia a little higher towards the light and it has been loving it. Likewise the Zoa's have been taking off really well, even a few new polyps on the green which is nice!

Pictures:

Note the Xenia went from this (after I mutated it in an accident, sorry focus is on eggs couldn't find another before shot, note the huge trunk mutation):

To this (in about a week):

I cannot praise these lights enough, the shimmer effect is also very nice! Will be getting more live rock this weekend and hopefully have the last of it in the tank early next week, so more pictures then of how I aquascaped the tank. Wanna try get this sump issue sorted before then though....

Any comments/ideas/whatever do please post them up :)
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby SaltwaterTankLover » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 8:18 pm

Awesome New Pictures:)

-Matt
SaltwaterTankLover
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scotty3566 » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 8:27 pm

It all seems to be looking good mate .
scotty3566
Veteran Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks guys, slow and steady heh.

On a side note, my subtrate is looking very red this morning, just as I thought I was getting away from the diatom blooms, it seems I may be getting hit with the damn cyanobacteria, arghhhh!!!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby gaz » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 2:44 pm

You seem to be doing good Lukey, lots more expertise here for things fishy than OCAU.
gaz
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 6:44 pm

Yeah you're not wrong :cheers:

Just put together my new Artemia (brine shrimp) hatching plant and put the first lot on the boil (or bubbled water as it may be).

It's a technical job that's for sure.... :roflmao:

Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 8:29 pm

So my exams are over, brine shrimp yet to emerge, and Phoebe got stuck in the overflow drainage. Like really stuck, water everywhere as I quickly rescued her. She's in the main tank again and hopefully will be fine (she ate food, but was a little timid).

Needless to say I went commando on the overflow and now have what I consider bullet proof, but I thought my last one was so yeah.....

Oh well, now we wait to make sure she's ok I suppose... Fingers crossed.
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Sun 22 Nov, 2009 11:47 am

Well Phoebe seems fine, and now the overflow has a fortress protecting it from unsuspecting seahorses and their inquisitive nature.

So in other news, the tank has received a big change, lots more rock and is now ready to start building up my corals in there!!!

Ignore the fact everything needs touching up yet (ie the background, water drippled, unclean glass, etc lol). But I have the general layout setup now. The coke bottle and white fake coral will be removed, it's just the white fake coral is their favourite hanging place so didn't want to remove it too soon, will give them some time to settle in yet. There's a perfect rock structure in the middle where the bubbles will actually flow up through. I also have a feeling some of my peppermint shrimp may have been breeding and when I moved the rock they were on I dislodged a baby shrimp which I imagine is now dead.

So my plans are to cover that left section of rock in a zoo garden and have a big finger leather (well small to begin with) which will extend towards the centre of the tank (I'm hoping it'll sort of grow towards the light a bit). Want to cover the right side in Xenia/Green star Polyp/Maze Brain.

And then hopefully where the bubbles come through i'd like something with polyps which hopefully won't mind the water movement constantly too much, and the occasionally seahorse movement through them. Anyways, it's all a bit vague right now and still quite a while off but slowly getting there. Need to meet up with Peekandboo for some zoo frags i'm thinking!

If anyone in Newcastle has anything to offer let me know, unfortunately I don't have anything to offer back yet but i'm hoping in 6 months that'll all change!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 12:10 pm

Haha above shot looks terrible, oh well will update once I get it settled on the new stand!

So anyways, got stuck into it and I may have become a little carried away. Pretty sure this could support two small cars with ease, but better safe than sorry in my opinion! The braces down the bottom aren't glued in or screwed, they are there for my sump to rest on. I'll likely just glue them if anything so I don't have to buy any super long screws.

Not bothering with doors or anything at this stage, just need some chipboard or similar for the top and to make sure it's level (sanding required if not), and same for the bottom where the sump will be. Will screw my light fixture into where the tank will be sitting on also, it's just a small 2ft t8 light, this will give a bit of light to refuge.

One other bonus was the fact the sump will actually fit in without any modifications now, and won't impair doors or placing a backing on the entire thing, which is nice as it'll make it -heaps- more soundproof and also light proof.

Oh and yeah, the most level place in this rental property is the freakin' kitchen, and it's not even -that- level. But it's near enough, it's the best I had to work with so what can you do?
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 4:00 pm

Well moving the tank was a huge huge huge drama but it was done. And i'm very glad it was done, it has made things much easier to manage and work with, plus it looks heaps better (well once it's finished properly anyways).

Do try ignore the random white/green fake coral int here, they still sleep in it every single night.... I want to take it out but I feel a bit like a monster. Need a big finger leather to take the place I think.

Also got some new Acans, have a red one as well but too difficult to try and photograph unfortunately. These ones don't even look right as is, much nicer colours in real life. One in left and top right of second picture go yellow and orange under actinics respectively.

Joey guarding his new green acan:

Just need to get some toadstools frags, gorgonian frag, green star polyp frags and all set! Slowly trying to build a zoo garden on left hand side of tank but it'll be a while yet, have some hulks, catseyes and true yellow I ordered from Al with the acans so hopefully soon anyways!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 9:08 pm

And an update finally!

Fragged the acans successfully (well some may say so, only inflicted slight battle wounds to the parent colony rofl, but got heaps of smaller single polyps growing now so hopefully in a few months will be good).

Getting it's hungry on, this one oddly turns itself inside out, no others do?... Lucky for it though, the peppies cant steal food this way :roflmao:

My latest addition to the tank thanks to Scotty! Looked real bad at first, but gave it a good 5 hours and seemed happy as larry!

Similar deal to above, my latest seafan I bought yesterday. It's a filter feeder, however the messy seahorses come in handy here, I don't even need to target feed it, I just feed the seahorses nearish to it and it gets plenty of food.

First shot is straight in, then hour later, then 3 hours later:

One of over 130+ baby turbo snails I now have in my tank, need these suckers to grow so I can then give them to some local members!

And finally some shots of my babies, dirty filthy, perhaps slightly brain damaged (i'm looking at YOU Phoebie), but my babies all the same.

As a final note, this little Canon Ixus 80 does an alright job tbh, though the exposure is shot with the LED's....

Oh well, glad to put in an update where things are getting somewhere. A little more rock movement tomorrow possibly and then full tank shots, it has changed a fair bit now...
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cinder » Sun 17 Jan, 2010 8:51 pm

Your tank is looking great Lukey, well done.

Which breed of seahorses are these?
cinder
Lurking Reefer

Postby Lukey » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 4:48 pm

They're Kuda's. I absolutely love them. Will hopefully be adding another two into the tank in coming months :)
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby DannyH » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 5:23 pm

Nice acans. Id definitely add a red next :)
Zoa Rancher
DannyH
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Lukey » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks mate, yeah i'm gonna move the orange in there soon to mix up the colours a bit, and my green edged one is sitting up elsewhere, I should place him in with the mix as well, just a bit up in arms as to weather i'm moving or not yet is all...
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Lukey's 3ftx37x50 Seahorse tank [Updated 15th Jan /w pic

Postby nick_s_h » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 7:45 pm

Time for an update ;)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 2870662040
Trident Aquarium Supplies. Online Supplier Located In The Sunshine Coast!
nick_s_h
RTAW Unregistered Business
RTAW Unregistered Business

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)