• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Kippers Reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Kippers Reef

Postby kipper31 » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 9:32 pm

This is the first marine tank me and my wife have attempted to keep. We have been keeping freshwater tanks seriously for about 5 years now and still have a 4ft cichlid and 2ft planted and a breeding pair of geophagus.Keeping fish has always been a passion of mine and when i meet my wife 8 years ago she also had a keen interest in the hobby and our tank collection has grown from there.We have decided to start our first marine after stumbling onto this site a couple of months ago and looking at some of the tank of the months(Rod the reefers mainly)and since that day theres been no stoping us, we just had to have one.

System Objectives: Our objective for this tank is to have a mini reef in our loungeroom that friends and family when they come round will basicly go #### that looks great, but i also enjoy the idea of replicating nature at home ,ie duplicating water parameters for different species and making sure all inhabitants are healthy,happy and doing what they have done for thousands of years.

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: Hopefully 24/10/09

Display Tank: 5x2x2 euro braced 10mm black silicon

Display Lighting: 2x250watt AMD 15000k MH +4x54 t5 Actinics+led moonlights
Stand: Custom built 2 pac metalic silver

Hood:None

Sump: 36x16x14

Refugium: DSB, macro Algea.

Refugium Lighting: Clip on light 20watt flouro 6500k cool daylight

Support systems:

System Water: artificial salt water/Psi RO DI filter

Display Water circulation: In tank water circulation. 2x tunze 6045

Return Pump:Eheim 5000l/h

Skimmer: Reef Octopus classic 1500l NW200-6540

Evaporation Top Up:manual

Aqua medic phosphate filter running rowaphos

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Ace chemicals calcium chloride manual doseing

Alkilinity Addition: bi carb manual doseing

Other Chemical Maintenance:

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: .05 mg
Alkalinity: 8/9
Calcium: 450
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1024
Magnesuim:

Last edited by kipper31 on Wed 12 Dec, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 54 times in total.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi ive just spent a good part of the morning doing all the plumbing. If theres anysuggestion before i test the tank tommorow please dont hesitate and telling me ,im open for all the advice i can get.All the plumbing has been glued accept for the dump pipes from the left hand 90*.The fans run of a 15 volt charger with one sucking in and the other out,i hope this helps keep condensation down a bit.

kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Base rock

Postby kipper31 » Sat 17 Oct, 2009 7:41 pm

Picked up a box of base rock and had bit of a play , this will be the start of our display. We decided to go with coral sand and have three 20kg bags for display and sump.[img][img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/kipper31au/baserock.jpg[/img][/img]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 9:15 am

We after a week of fresh water testing and about 2 meters of pipeing we have finaly settled on a design that is fairly quiet. The only noise we hear is a slight trickle of water going into the weir that we will play about with the next few days. On our way down to Marine + to grab our first box of live rock. Heres a photo of final sump design.
If anyone feels they can suggest anything feel free to comment,the only thing im not sure about is my heater placement.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Alf D » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 9:27 am

Looking good Chris.
Is the red line the height of the water when the return pump is off and the weir drains?
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby terbit » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 9:35 am

:withyou: I thought it looked a bit high as well.
Also were is your return coming back into the tank ? I'm probably blind but I can't see it in the pics.
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:30 pm

The red line is when everythings turned off and weir drained out ,its actualy 5.5cm from the top of the sump. The return pump is on the far left hand side so less head height to the display tank.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 1:01 pm

ahh sweet, as long as you dont have a flood like i do when the power goes out :roflmao:
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 6:22 pm

We got down to marine + this morn and purchased our first box of live rock.Got home did the usual argue with the misses lol on where to place it as we have done with all our freshwater tanks. We had a box of base rock to start with and placed the live rock on top as best we could.We are pretty pleased with the result as its our first time with marine. After about an hour later much to my surprize a fish stuck its head out of a hole.Useing the Baench marine atlas we have tried to identify it and we think its a member of the True goby or Wormfish species.Its about 5-8cm long and ill try to get a photo as he become less scared of us etc.Heres a photo of our placement of the rock ,excuse the water its still a tad cloudy.[img][img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/kipper31au/Firstliverock.jpg
[img][img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/kipper31au/liverock.jpg[/img]
Image[/img]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby terbit » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 6:57 pm

Looks good Chris,and good score on the fish.
I can see your returns now that you have the 45 elbows on I was starting to think I needed new glasses.
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coral1 » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 7:27 pm

coming along nicely!!!!
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby andz69 » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 8:01 pm

Looking good guys

Now for the cycling, happy waiting
andz69
Centurion Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 7:48 pm

Took a bit better photo of the rock this arvo,its amazing how much the water can clear overnight. Ive tried to make alot of nooks and crannies thinking of the future when i can start adding corals etc.While at work today the courier came and psi 4 stage reef RO arrived, not bad service seeing i only EFT the money on thursday.Im waiting on Marine + to get in a couple of tunze 6045 to help with flow which hopefully i can pick up tomm.
[img][img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/kipper31au/latestphoto.jpg[/img][/img]
Heres a photo of the set whole set up.please bear with me the novality of photos of live rock will soon die off, its only been two days lol.Now the waiting begins.
[img][img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/kipper31au/SAM_0022.jpg[/img][/img]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 8:30 pm

its looking very nice :thumbsup: cant wait to see what kinda hitch hikers you've got on the rock :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 4:36 pm

Its been 8 days since adding the live rock, we have now entered the BROWN ALGAE stage.It started off with a few specks and by the next days was rampent. Did a water change two days ago with our new RO system from PSI and added two Tunzes 6045. I might add the first tunze i brought sounded like it had big end troubles so i took it back too Marine + and they exchanged it without a question.They evan trial ran the new ones b4 phoning to say everythings good. Thanks Guys.Heres a few photos of algea.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby lux_06 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 4:59 pm

looking good mate! why do they call you kipper?

rock looks great, nice and open, plenty of shapes and gaps nice.

have you thought about joing masaog? great to meet other local reefers, check out their tanks, loads of benefits, and other people to share shipping with on online orders, one of the best things i did with the hobby was join up.

adam
"If the bottle can hold it, So can I"
lux_06
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Lux , they call me kipper for two reasons, one ive always been fasinated by fish in general weather it be out catching them in my boat or keeping them,(Ive had freshwater tanks all my life etc)and also when i purchased my second boat about 11 years ago the name of boat was actually kipper and it sort of just stuck.How and where do u join? i might look into it soon, pm details if wish or post on here.Thanks for the comments , we are trying to make the rock look as natural as possible like its just falling into place.Thanks.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby lux_06 » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 10:08 pm

lol yeh i make my own kippers so thought i found myself a new customer!!! i will pm you masaog details mate.
"If the bottle can hold it, So can I"
lux_06
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 5:23 pm

Ive been checking my water parameters and nitrate and ammonia have dropped back to zero.As every one probaly has wanted to do is go out and start adding stuff im still going to wait a few more weeks.The guys at marine plus said i could add a few snail to help the brown algea which almost dissapered by itself. We got given some macro alges which we put in our sump along with a clip on light from bunning and a 6500k cool daylight fluro.The coral in the photo has nearly doupled in size this week,if anyone knows what it is please let me know.
Image[/img]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby lads13 » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 8:14 pm

looking good mate, any live stock yet?
lads13
Centurion Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 8:20 pm

he's got a snail :poke: .. any updates??
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

New photos

Postby kipper31 » Sun 29 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm

Well you guys are right ,ive been slack on keeping my journal. since my last post ive added another 10kg of live rock and about the same in base rock. Ive now got one end of my tank the way i want it etc.ive purchased two damsels a few weeks ago and last week i got 3 green chromis from ROB180 of here. I just put my first coral last week a Goniopora which hasnt got a good reputation for surving but so far mines been good.I also got a Fungia and yesterday brought a Fluffy Coral(would love to know scienetific name etc)and a nice catalaphyllia.So far ive had no deaths in the tank and all my water parameters are hovering about where they should be.My macro is growing great as well which i gather is a good sign.Heres a few photos but the lights have just come on so not everythings fully open.Il add a few more photos when i recharge the camera batteries.

kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 2:14 pm

Time for bit of a update, have a few more corals since my last post, A nice Montipora and Duncan from Marine + and a small group of Green Mushrooms from Gavogr from this site, thanks Gavon.
[imImage
g][/imImage
g][imImageg][/img]

[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage
][/iImagemg]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Robert180 » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 5:03 pm

looking good :)

feel free to drop some of that macro algea down when it gets out of control ha ha..

are you using R/O water? tank looks very very clean no algea around.

You using a chiller?
Robert180
Curious Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 5:41 pm

Went down to Marine + today and was going to get a few Corals as they had new shipment come in etc. Was talking to Ricky how after xmas we might look at getting a Anemone and pair of clown fish.He suggested that we should get a Anemone sooner than later as when they go on the march theres less chance of stinging corals.So to my wifes delight(she nags me each week when we getting some) we came home with these guys. I put the Anemone in and over 1 hour he moved about a foot and seems to made his home in a great position right at the front of the tank ,i hope he stays theres.
[imgImage
][/imImageg]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby SLS » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 7:21 pm

Hey Kipper,

Nice journal, thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,
George
Part of the Aquariums Australia Pty Ltd group of companies
Slippery Little Suckers
632 Anzac Pde, Kingsford NSW 2032
Ph: 02 9315 5288
http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com

See my 8x2.5x2.5 Journal: viewtopic.php?t=196665
SLS
Centurion Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby pafc64 » Sun 20 Dec, 2009 3:19 am

Hi Kipper
Your tank is looking really good & plenty off places for more corals :thumbsup:
How many kilos of liverock & baserock do you estimate you put in?

:cheers:
Rick
Cheers
Rick

Ricks 4x2x2
pafc64
Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sun 20 Dec, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks Rick, i think we started with 10 kg base rock with 20kg live and then added another 10 kg base and another 10 kg of live so approx 30 kgs of each. Ive prob added another couple small pieces of base as i have about 7 kg left and intend just to use to help prop up corals as i need to. Im pretty happy how it looks for our first aquascape , the photos dont do it justice as it looksd realy natural like nothings really been placed, just fallen down a cliff etc. Thanks for the comments.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:01 pm

Well i got home from work today to find that the Anemone has gone on the march. Hes placed himself right on the front of the glass.Then much to my suprize one on my clown fish has taken residence in it . Ive read sometimes the tank breed clowns can take forever to find a home so im pretty happy at that. The only thing is he/she chaseing the other clown away as he tries to enjoy a roof over his head. Heres a photo.
[/imImageg]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Thu 31 Dec, 2009 9:11 pm

Heres a few photos of my latest additions, a couple of acans and a orange fungia.
[iImage
mg]Image[/img]
[imImage
g][/imImageg]
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)