• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Re: ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

Postby pazz » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 10:59 am

Braddles wrote:Very keen on the look of these lights...

I wonder how they compare to the BSLED's??

Regards,

Brad.
hi brad these units are 1 billion times better then the el cheapo bsled units , have seen both over tanks .
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 12:45 pm

could you please expand for me how?

They both use 1 or 2 or 3W LED's - standard or CREE?

I agree these ones look the duts nuts with the perspex casing etc ...

Do these come the USA Cree bulbs as standard? I am after a 150w fitting with 3w CREE bulbs with SILENT fans, and ability to control blue and white independantly.. and would like to get them sooner rather than later - the metal hallides are heating my house up like a sauna.. My tank is cool with the chiller - but the poor parrot and the rest of the house is melting while I am at work..
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby surfhead » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 1:31 pm

Read the link on page one,the manufacturer claim that they made the Led emmiters exclusivelly for marine aquarium purposes.
They are not Cree and they have 4 blue moonlights on one timer and the other 16k and blue controlled off the other timer.
Last edited by surfhead on Sun 28 Aug, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhead
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 7:40 pm

Braddles;

In answer to your question about the LEDs, they use their own as far as I am made aware. These LEDs took them two years to develope. I have been running mine now since the start of the thread.

I should really take a few more pictures to show what has happend. While there is some really nice colouring up, the growth has slowed due to poor water quality while my neighbours looked after my tank for two months.
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sat 05 Feb, 2011 11:17 pm

But could it be from the LED's also??

Would love to see some pics if you have time :poke:
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sparks » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 8:18 am

Guys I am also very interested in a group buy if/when it happens. :crossfingers:
One of my 250Mh's is playing up. I'm in SE Qld, Sunshine Coast.

Does anyone in my area have these LED's fitted, so I may have a look. Maybe North Brisbane, Sunshine Coast.
I'll be watching !!
cheers Bob
sparks
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 10:02 am

surfhead wrote:Read the link on page one,the manufacturer claim that they made the Led emmiters exclusivelly for marine aquarium purposes.
They are not Cree and they have 4 blue moonlights on one timer and the other 16k and blue controlled off the other timer,the 4 moonlights do pop like I have never seen before :o

If Moon Lights on one and the rest on the other - seems its all or nothing then, other than the moon lights??

Does this mean I couldnt say have programmed for
1. Moon lights only
2. Blue (actinic) only
3. White and Blue then reverse through the day??

From the timer (not from manually flicking switches)..???

I see they have an update saying they have replaced 4 white LED's with Blue for a "slightly Bluer Look" - but I would like a 20K look at least..

Finally, I have also heard that the seperate ballast gets really hot?? Can anyone confirm this? With the BSLED lights, the driver / ballasts are inbuilt and I have seen these, fans are now silent and cool to touch all over white operating. Heat production (Lack there of) is really important to me also and hence my stray away from MH..

Thanks so far to everyone answering my Q's :cheers:
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby surfhead » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Braddles
you can have all the blue and whites and 4 moonlights on,the blue and white on and the moonlights off,or the moonlights on only.so yes you cant have say the white only on etc .
The white leds are 16k then you have the blues so I guess they are about 20k and the extra blues will shift the spectrum up a bit more?
I cant tell you how hot the power supplys/drivers get but they are in a seperate module with the timer and are also fan cooled :cheers:
Last edited by surfhead on Sun 06 Feb, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhead
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Juzza34 » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 4:26 pm

could you guys that have these post some more pics up i am very very interested in popping three of these over my new 7ft long X 4ft wide x 2ft high tank with some solar tubes. I was thinking of ordering three seeing soemone mentioned 2 will do a 5X2X2...... Also if these lights are as bright as you guys are mentioning i might even drop the solartubes off my to do list. any recomendations from those that have the lights would be great.........
Juzza34
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business
MASWA Member

Postby pazz » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 8:27 pm

Juzza34 wrote:could you guys that have these post some more pics up i am very very interested in popping three of these over my new 7ft long X 4ft wide x 2ft high tank with some solar tubes. I was thinking of ordering three seeing soemone mentioned 2 will do a 5X2X2...... Also if these lights are as bright as you guys are mentioning i might even drop the solartubes off my to do list. any recomendations from those that have the lights would be great.........
hi mate i would say you need 4 of these to get the spread across the 4 foot and no sola tubes needed, 2 is heaps for a 5x2 .
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sparks » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 6:43 am

How many units would you guys recommend over my 1800 x 700 x 700, thats 6' x 28" x 28" deep. I have 2 tank braces and would like plenty of light. I'm replacing a 3 x 250 MH arcadia pendant. Currenty only have softies but acro's one day would be nice.
And would you suggest the standard PR-156 or the wider PR-156W for my tank.
Also can someone explain how these fittings mount, are they each suspended from adjustable s/s cables from the ceiling.
cheers Rob
sparks
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby pazz » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:26 am

hi rob i would go with 3 of them and have them facing front to back if you cant fit them in between the bracing and with the pr 156w you dont have to lift as high to get the light to spread , the units can be hung from the ceiling :-)
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Juzza34 » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 7:26 pm

Juzza34 wrote:
could you guys that have these post some more pics up i am very very interested in popping three of these over my new 7ft long X 4ft wide x 2ft high tank with some solar tubes. I was thinking of ordering three seeing soemone mentioned 2 will do a 5X2X2...... Also if these lights are as bright as you guys are mentioning i might even drop the solartubes off my to do list. any recomendations from those that have the lights would be great.........hi mate i would say you need 4 of these to get the spread across the 4 foot and no sola tubes needed, 2 is heaps for a 5x2 .

Thank you very much, I am so keen to get these lights it isnt funny lol, probably will be getting two in march and two more later in the year, So the big question also who got what degree lenses, 90 or 120???????? I was going to go 90's................
Juzza34
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Braddles » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 8:55 pm

So how many watts is each bulb?

Are they are 150w fitting at 3W each?

I am very keen to see a black one... and if I could specify 50:50 blue white in black I would order one tomorrow...

I too prefer the 20K look (more blue)... and the fact you cant adjust blue and white on seperate cables (timer on each) is a bit annoying... Is there a contact (email) so I can enquire with the manufacturer about getting 50:50 in black?

Many thanks to those providing feedback already..

Regards,

Brad.
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby pazz » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:09 pm

Juzza34 wrote:
Juzza34 wrote:
could you guys that have these post some more pics up i am very very interested in popping three of these over my new 7ft long X 4ft wide x 2ft high tank with some solar tubes. I was thinking of ordering three seeing soemone mentioned 2 will do a 5X2X2...... Also if these lights are as bright as you guys are mentioning i might even drop the solartubes off my to do list. any recomendations from those that have the lights would be great.........hi mate i would say you need 4 of these to get the spread across the 4 foot and no sola tubes needed, 2 is heaps for a 5x2 .

Thank you very much, I am so keen to get these lights it isnt funny lol, probably will be getting two in march and two more later in the year, So the big question also who got what degree lenses, 90 or 120???????? I was going to go 90's................
hi mate with the 90's you will have to lift them a lot higher to get the spread . Maybe join the orphek forum and more guys that have them can advice you on wat to go with cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 11:18 am

Hi :wavey: Folks,
Will try to post some Pics....if it works....??
Went to a MASOV mates place last night to hang one of the Orphek 90°lens unit on his sytem to see the difference.
His system would need the PR-156W (120°lens), IMO, it'll spread the light wider and catch more at the front & back of his setup.
Either way lovely tank setup .... don't you agree...??
If this works Pics follow....!! :bow: Do notice that it looked a lot better in real life, than my photographic non-skills....!! :wall:
:cheers:
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Braddles » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks mate, that would be great... I really love the look of these lights...

Was going to order a new model BSLED (dimmable 150 CREE 3W chip) - but they are not answering my emails when I want to give them cash... so dont want to think about service if something goes wrong...

I would REALLY love to be able to control the Blue and white and Moon lights seperatley on these though, and have 50:50 b:w!! I wonder if enough of us ordered - they would do as as a run?? BSLED will customise to anything pretty much..

Regards,

Brad.
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Brad,
All i'm aware of, is that Orphek can & will build customisable units, but of course the production & delivery would take a bit longer.
People have ordered different LED colour configs before. Changing the white & blue LED numbers.
The Orphek units at present have 2 controllers, one for the majority white & blue LEDs, the second controls 4 Moonlight LEDs'.
Forget about Dimming any LED unit, :nono: waste of money.
The other brands that offer this Dimming, you will find that when they do, & use it, it changes the current and therefore the LED Spectrum.
As someone mentioned earlier, one Can get a Stable Dimmable current, by putting in an expensive controller, But NOT in our CHEAPER Market end, they wouldn't.
Plus I'll mention it again, Corals DON't care about Dimming, Stormy & Rainy Days, just Good sufficient Useable Light Energy, so they can Photosynthesize & Grow. :nod:
But I suppose we're all acting out our little "God" mode in our Hobby .... so Dimming etc., gives us another adrenalin rush.... :roflmao: :roflmao:
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Braddles » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:22 pm

Thats cool that they will customise.. I wonder if they will add another cord for more appropriate control of all lighting.
To wait for customisation wouldnt be a problem for me...

Re/- Dimmers => exactly! - its about asthetics... the moon lighting would do SFA for coral growth too - but they have done this - and most of us like this - and its only asthetics...

Although these are not high end - I wouldnt consider $700 cheap end either... BSLED will do a CRE 3w chip LEDS x 160w with 50:50 bw (I think its 150W really - and some moon lights), controllable dimmer, moon lights, silent fans for less than half the price........ Of course they dont look as good as these babys with the perspex though.. Decisions decisions..
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 1:12 am

The trouble with the BSLED's.... I came across someone in my research for LED's, this person was importing these units already 3 years ago.
Of ALL the units he brought in and sold .... 80% were returned because of failures, breakages, melting and worst of all burning our Corals.
Their casings Rusted within 12 months, their LED's were too close together and didn't have lenses or heatsinks, so it was described as laser beams hitting the corals.
They ran the LED's well over 350mA apparently to create a brighter looking LED. After 12 months it's output had dropped more than 30%.
The Chinese company sending out this Cr...p, wouldn't even give any guarantees .... so after hearing this, made me tread more carefully .... glad I did.
But at least with dedicated forums, Bad news travels fast... so I'm hoping all those that have bought BSLED's don't come across any of these issues that were mentioned to me.
Cheers,
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby ReefCrazy » Sat 12 Feb, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi OzSpock

Have there been any incidents where the Orphek lighting has burnt the corals etc? In terms of introducing the Orphek lighting to a tank that has been under T5s all of its life, what's the best method to ensure that corals etc aren't damaged? Thanks

Rgds

Steve
ReefCrazy
ReefCrazy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Sat 12 Feb, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi Steve,
I personally haven't encountered any of those problems with the units we have used on our tanks, while transforming away from either MH's & T5's.
I also haven't read about any issues, BUT any extra intense light source on Corals, that haven't had that sort of exposure, could be prone to "burning".
To avoid that possibility from happening, you could raise the units higher at first introduction, or use shade cloth with different screening through puts to allow the corals to adjust.
Within a 14 day period of slowly increasing the light through put should see the corals adapt without any issues.
Cheers,
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby ReefCrazy » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks Spock, much appreciated....Can those that have these units please post pictures of how they have mounted the units to give others ideas i.e. light rails or in hoods etc. In my situation, I currently have a low hood and I have to make a decision between either getting a new high hood to accommodate the lighting or suspending them from the ceiling, which I don't really think will be aesthetically pleasing. So any ideas on the best way to install would be great, including ideas on how to make them height adjustable, like a pulley setup. Is there something available from the light shops etc to assist in adjustable suspension? Thanks

Rgds

Steve
ReefCrazy
ReefCrazy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 1:16 pm

Quick reply for you Steve.
If, in your current hood there is a beam running thru the centre, you could easily mount from there using a number of different attachment techniques.
One easy way plus cheap &simple is to run electrical tie wires thru the outer screws on the unit with holes, bend them over the centeral beam, jobs done. (Hope that makes sense??)
Not knowing your tank dimensions, but supposing you have a standard 2ft wide & deep tank, this would allow the PR-156W unit to cover your areas sufficiently without the need to really suspend it very high.
Sorry don;t have any pulley system details available at this stage, we are looking into a system that will provide SunRise & SunSet abilities, will keep the forum posted.
Cheers,
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby ReefCrazy » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Spock, thanks for your reply....The problem is the hood is low and if I mounted the light units within the hood it would literally be sitting not even three inches above the water. Also, I am conscious of not damaging the corals when first installed by having them positioned high and then gradually lowering the units, so need the room to move. Tank dimensions are 4x2x2.5 with standard bracing in the middle, so need two units which would mean not much room under the hood. I'll do a bit of research and see if there is a nicely made purpose built light frame available and do away with the low hood. Failing that I can get someone to make a high hood for me but may be an expensive way to go.

Rgds

Steve
ReefCrazy
ReefCrazy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby OzSpock » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 8:09 am

Hi again Steve,
Just an after thought for your concern of 'burning the corals', With the added timers that come with the units you could program in shorter lighting sessions &/or alternate the day light & moon light photo period.
Thereby reducing the intense period, this can then be slowly increased over several weeks. Also using the moon lights more, initially, can also assist.
Also using several small sheets of Acrylic on top of the tank could also assist, then slowly removing a piece at a time.
The disadvantages of Dimming, is that when you Dim LEDs, (although Not in the Orphek units), it changes the LED spectrum, it becomes more yellow, just like MH's bulbs toward the end of their life, this of course contributes to more Algae growth....!!
Cheers,
OzSpock
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby slin1977 » Tue 15 Feb, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi OZspock,

When you say corals dont care about dimming and warm sunny days cloudy days etc, there are many examples of coral being burnt by the introduction of such high powerered LEDs. It was a huge concern of mine when I introduced LED to my aquarium for the first time. I experienced varied success in the beginning. This was at the time when the illumagic unit was only dimmable. It was over a period of three months when my coral started to show some sort of acceptance to this light source.

If it was not for the dimming I would have fried the corals, during that time I read some interesting articles in the Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine,
regarding the effects of prolonged photo period, spectral quality and light dosage. There are a few more interesting articles regarding light there too.

Benificial zooanthellae algea does not require an overstimulation of light to reproduce successfully.

I had a Flouro yellow wild colony of zoos that turned a mustard brown colour and a colony of Red zoos that hated the lights and stayed that way until I started testing the prototype ALC version in October.

Since the introduction of a more natural daylight period of ramping up and down towards a sunset these colonys have restored their colour and are looking the best ever.
I believe that there are great benifits to be had by a technology that does produce fantastic results.

By the way the ALC version of the Illumagic uses PWM dimming and ramping, which in no way affects the spectral quality of the lights.
This PWM ramping also allows coral to adapt better and quicker to a LED light source.

I am sure by the time your Orpheck LED is into its second generation , Orpheck would adopt such technology such as dimming and ramping.

Good luck with it all.
slin1977
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby striking » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:54 am

My el cheapo MH t5 combo unit is falling apart and in need of replacement.

Now that LED lights have been used successfully, I am thinking of upgrading to these or the AI unit.

Has anyone found an AU distributor for these?

Was a group buy ever organised?

Has anyone else tried and like/dislike these lights?
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby Juzza34 » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 10:59 am

I now have two of these lights.... OMG is all i can say customer service from simone was awesome.....Lights are jst brilliant.

However I will say this if you trying to compare the light to a MH light then to the human eye they look dull but if you actuall get a light meter or take a photo of you tank it is very very bright indeed. So you will need to remember this is a light for your corals. I have hung mine 350mm of the top of the tank which leaves the outer edges with enough light for some softies but very very good light threw the centre for any future SPS. I highly recommend and yoe do not need to group buy these lights as per previos discusion i am un able to disclose price however a quick email to simone and a quick haggle will see you get these quite cheap...

Oh also i through these lights on at 10hr running time and 1hr before and after with blues........NO CORAL BURN....... if anything my two hammer corals have really coloured up and already showing very quick growth.......

heres a pic and video of my tank for ya's with lights on......

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5h69EuaOY
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzmEL43B8I
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXVUIiftBA

Juzza34
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Lukey » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:23 am

Juzza34 wrote:So you will need to remember this is a light for your corals.

Gotta ask, what the feck is the point of that? Got all this fancy gear and shiz, and you buy a light which doesn't look good for YOU to look at?....
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion