• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Re: ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

Postby Braddles » Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:46 pm

n0rk wrote:
hyjak71 wrote:nothing at all really, maybe deeper light penetration on deeper tanks.

With 90º FWHM lenses out of 160lm/W emitters? Unless someone is hiding something about physics here, that wouldn't be any real benefit beyond anything else out there, Jez.

striking wrote:n0rk,

I take it you are not sold on the Orphek's??

In a word... no :)

Gibbon01 wrote::wavey:
Having run these units, together with other local hobbyists, we'd be compelled to disagree.
:cheers:

On what grounds are these units far and above superior to any other product on the market, exactly? Actual objective grounds I mean, not (often somewhat inaccurate or misleading) sales hype which thus far seems to the Orphek's preferred means of information provision. The Sturm und Drang if you will :)

:withyou:

a lot of hype for a pretty looking light (if you get a well made one that is) that runs the SAME Cree LED chips that the other lights do for 1/2 the price. There are no other functions. I dont think anyone is saying its a bad light, its just not in the same league as similarly priced lights that are fully automatable / adjustable to get any combo / hue / sun set / colour temp blah blah you desire.
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Sat 07 May, 2011 6:12 pm

Funny all those comments from people wanting to divert attention away from just a very good & well built LED unit.

Check these latest Pics on a thread at ReefCentral: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... st18741601

Cheers,
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby ReefCrazy » Sat 07 May, 2011 11:56 pm

Can you get replacement globes? And if so, how do you go about it and how much? Thanks

Rgds

steve
ReefCrazy
ReefCrazy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kudo2me » Tue 31 May, 2011 12:39 am

Braddles wrote:
a lot of hype for a pretty looking light (if you get a well made one that is) that runs the SAME Cree LED chips that the other lights do for 1/2 the price. There are no other functions. I dont think anyone is saying its a bad light, its just not in the same league as similarly priced lights that are fully automatable / adjustable to get any combo / hue / sun set / colour temp blah blah you desire.

Orphek doesn't use CREE leds. They use a proprietary LED. They are one of the only companies out there that are manufacturing lights with a 15k white LED. The white LEDs in AI sol is a 6500k LED, that is why they have to have so much blue.

For those not interested in LED....don't just bash it and point out all the things it doesn't have or do. Dimming....do your MH dim????

This technology is developing and changing daily.....So many new products are coming out on a weekly basis....

Check out the Orpek site....they have tons of new things coming out. I may even be able to ressurect that old T8 fixture I have....hahahaha

http://orphek.com/index-8.php
kudo2me
Lurking Reefer

Postby n0rk » Tue 31 May, 2011 12:44 am

"So much blue" is relative :) and yes, Metal Halides have dimmed for quite some time now.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby kudo2me » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 6:35 am

As for the AI sol blue....they use two blues to one white LEd and therefore are VERY blue IMHO.....I mean the 66% blue 33% white ratio is pretty non standard for what most of us are using....

I know a lot of reefers in my club are using the MH and none of them are dimming them. Full on or full off. They use T5 supplements before and after their MH cycle to simulate dawn and dusk.

LEDs are awesome for many reasons.
kudo2me
Lurking Reefer

Postby n0rk » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 12:19 pm

The bulk of people will be using T5s or T12s to offset the colour of the halides moreso than to create dawn and dusk sequences. Up until fairly recently (a few years), there wasn't really any lamps which could produce reliable levels of PAR and which also had a good colour... the supplements were more necessity than anything else.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby cool-vk » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 8:38 pm

HI all I finally got the hood finished and LED's put in :wink:
Last edited by cool-vk on Sun 31 Jul, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cool-vk
RTAW Reefer

Postby kudo2me » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 9:10 am

cool-vk,

Any updates? How are they doing for you and how are your corals doing????
kudo2me
Lurking Reefer

Postby cool-vk » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 12:31 pm

kudo2me wrote:cool-vk,

Hi mate sorry for the delay :bow:
I am happy with them so far. But i think i should of buy x5 for my tank size, as with x4 i have few dark spots in the corners of the tank. Also corals are doing fine but i haven't notes any improvement as yet. :cheers:
cool-vk
RTAW Reefer

Postby kudo2me » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 10:55 am

cool-vk wrote:

Hi mate sorry for the delay :bow:
I am happy with them so far. But i think i should of buy x5 for my tank size, as with x4 i have few dark spots in the corners of the tank. Also corals are doing fine but i haven't notes any improvement as yet. :cheers:

Have you tried playing with the angles of the lights at all? I know with my LEDs getting them angled right and off the glass was a little bit of trial and error. Now that i have it right I get very little algae on the glass.
kudo2me
Lurking Reefer

Postby cool-vk » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 3:12 pm

kudo2me wrote:
cool-vk wrote:

Have you tried playing with the angles of the lights at all? I know with my LEDs getting them angled right and off the glass was a little bit of trial and error. Now that i have it right I get very little algae on the glass.

Hi yes I had to put them real high, so I don't have too much black spots in the corner specially.

As for algae on the glass i do get some as well but i think is more from my Phosphate level :wall:
cool-vk
RTAW Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:12 am

Cool-vk; I have these lights as you know, and I am extremely happy with them. I have only just recently put in ROWA PHOS, into a 550 two little fishies reactor. Phosphates came down from 0.65 to 0.01...within a week. I have to qualify this aswell. I was also using tap water which had a 500ppm as topup, but at the same time changed to include a stingray RO/DI unit. I have to say that these two things were the best purchases I have ever made.

Cheers
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby Tone » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:15 am

kudo2me wrote:For those not interested in LED....don't just bash it and point out all the things it doesn't have or do. Dimming....do your MH dim????

Yes! my MH does dim. Next please. :o
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby AU_DEATH » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:26 am

All;

Just thought that I would put a quick picture up of the coral which I had put in a number of months ago. This coral was given to me as a free bee from an Aquarium store down here in Adelaide because it was nearly bleached and all colour was lost (looked brown in the coloured parts). Hope you guys can see a difference, look closely at it.
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby Tone » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:34 am

That is incredible ... fantastic colour.
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone

Postby listen_to_slayer » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 11:28 pm

quick question to anyone who has bought one of these units, when you purchased this unit was the pay pal account linked to a guy in Israel?

I know I'm just being paranoid but I just thought I'd ask, it seems like Orphek has a different person from different countries looking after different divisions.

Thanks
listen_to_slayer
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby cool-vk » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 8:55 am

listen_to_slayer wrote:quick question to anyone who has bought one of these units, when you purchased this unit was the pay pal account linked to a guy in Israel?

I know I'm just being paranoid but I just thought I'd ask, it seems like Orphek has a different person from different countries looking after different divisions.

Thanks

Yes I bought x4 and pay with paypal :cheers:
cool-vk
RTAW Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 7:02 pm

Listen to Slayer....Great band...but yes they are an Israelie company, but manufacture in China.

Cheers
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby listen_to_slayer » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 8:11 pm

haha i thought they were Brazilian, ah well who cares where they are made. Rusty, how far above water level are your lights?
listen_to_slayer
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Tone » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 8:15 pm

listen_to_slayer wrote:haha i thought they were Brazilian, ah well who cares where they are made. Rusty, how far above water level are your lights?

I thought so too. There was an article on the Reef Builders Blog that mentioned them being a South American company.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone

Postby AU_DEATH » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 3:22 pm

They do have an office in Brazil, so you guys might be right...I was just trying to recall a conversation with Simone about where they were made.

The lights that I have atm are currently placed 300mm above the cross bracing. I can not put them any higher due to the hood design.
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Folks,
Just to help out, the owner & developer of Orphek LED's is Israelian, living in Brazil with his family.
Manufacturing is done in China, goods are shipped from Hong Kong, plus different countries have their own contact person.
We've also just heard that the PR-156 & 156W unit pricing is about to go up at the end of the month, Orphek have been running a sales special for OZ since Jan 2011.....!!

But all Orders go through Orphek, along with the raised PayPal Invoicing & Shipping Tracking numbers.
We've had only 2 different PayPal account invoices sent to us, majority are from Brazil, the other was from Israel.
We haven't had one issue where there was a concern in the transactions or our deliveries.

We've been running our LED units since Oct 2010, similar to Rusty's, without so much as a glitch, working beautifully.
My Parent's power bill has dropped dramatically from our MH days, plus the excess heat in our Fishroom has also dropped.
Our Coral growths have been great, but without all the other parameters in check, & lighting is only one of them, a stable consistant balance in the others is also still required..... at least for a healthy tank!!

Cheers,
Luke
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby kudo2me » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:22 am

Can you guys post up some pics of your tanks on here for us all to see?
kudo2me
Lurking Reefer

Postby jrod » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 3:18 pm

Has Orphek added more blue led's to their units? At the start of this thread, Rusty said his 60 led units only had 4 blue led's and the rest white, but recent reviews seem to have 14 blue led's but their website says 70:30 which would be 18 blue led's to 42 white?
jrod
Veteran Reefer

Postby listen_to_slayer » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 3:55 pm

yep they now come standard with 70:30 (w:b) and it is customizable to any ratio you want. The guy who looks after sales in Aus has a unit with a 60:40 ratio.

I have a feeling when you have the "moonlights" on it is still only 4 blue LED's that remain on... but I'm happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

I will post images of the unit when I get mine ;)
listen_to_slayer
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 4:45 pm

Standard units are 70:30, with 4 moon LEDs, 10 Blue LEDs.
The 60:40 unit has 4 moon LEDs, 14 Blue LEDs.
We have both these unit ratio's running on tanks next to each other.
The 4 moon LED's/unit have sufficient output for both our 5ft & 4ft tanks .... coral colours are fantastic...!!
The 4 moon LEDs are controlled by the second Timer onboard. The first Timer controls the White & Blues.
Hope that this info helps....!!
Cheers,
Luke
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby chromus » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Gibbon,

Where did you source this data?
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby REEF1N » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 5:54 pm

How many of these would I be looking at to power a 6x2x2.4 high mixed reef ? Sizes ? Price ? Thanks tim
REEF1N
Curious Reefer

Postby jrod » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 6:13 pm

Gibbon01 wrote:Standard units are 70:30, with 4 moon LEDs, 10 Blue LEDs.
The 60:40 unit has 4 moon LEDs, 14 Blue LEDs.
We have both these unit ratio's running on tanks next to each other.

Isn't 70:30 and 60:40 18 blue and 24 blue? Do the moons double as daytime bulbs too at higher wattage?

How about photos of the two combo's pretty please :)
jrod
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion