• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Re: ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

Postby striking » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:35 pm

The lights look dull and no good to the human eye? Really?

Your tank looks pretty good to me. What are the experience from other users?
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby Flipper » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:48 pm

Flippers Tank Journal
Quietly going about my business
Flipper
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 7:26 pm

We've seen several local hobyists cautiously try out one Orphek unit before committing to buy more, without exception, once the first unit is operating, they ALL quickly bought the remainder and haven't looked back.
We've had ours since Oct 2010 and loving the colours it produces, far better than what we were getting with out MH & T5 setups.
Check out this link .....!!
Pic at bottom of page.......!!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... p=18545419
Good Luck with your choice, but our money is on Orphek.
Cheers,
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 8:54 pm

Gibbon01 wrote:Good Luck with your choice, but our money is on Orphek.

im sure it is...

lighting for display tanks needs to be both ascetically pleasing to the owner/viewers but also have the ability to grow and sustain corals. it was said earlier that these lights are more for growth. perhaps the reason there par numbers are high due to the shear number of white leds as opposed to blue.
a 1-15 b-w isnt what myself and many people would call ascetically pleasing. i very much doubt there par numbers would be as good should they do what most brands have done and gone with 50-50 or 2-1.
JMO
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby striking » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm

I guess it is something you need to see in real life to assess... Are they much cheaper than the SR1200 ?
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 10:55 pm

i would say there quite a bit cheaper as vertex really has set the bar for led lighting.
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:14 pm

Has everyone seen these?? I was about to buy orphek - but then I seen these... Now sold in Australia, with local warranty. Masa group buy underway. Fully controllable.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=227144&p=904973#p904973
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby striking » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 12:00 am

Yeah I did see those, I didn't think they were as good as the vertex or the orphex. But some of the members that have signed up for them seem to know their stuff. Perhaps they are a good option ? And a third of the price.
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 12:08 am

They are not as expensive as Vertex... but share the same LED chip. They look great, and get great reviews.

They are fully controllable, but not via blue tooth wirelessly to your Lap Top like the Austrian Vertex.

I think they sit in between a Vertex and Orphek in terms of what they offer and quality.

They are also $710 from Australian dealer with local warranty. I agree, I dont think they probably are the "ducks nuts" like vertex, but they are not $2000 for a 2ft fitting either.

Do your research well on the orphek. They are not adjustable, and the fittings (the metal strip around the sides particularly) is not the best quality, with miss drilled / finished holes and prone to rusting... I spent the best part of a week googling references etc... I was put off personally by the personal accounts and reviews... I think when you comare to In Water Stingray, they are significantly overpriced for what they are / offer. Just my opinion anyway... and thought the link is worth a look to make sure people have seen these beauties...
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby striking » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 8:36 am

Bradies,

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate your opinions. Maybe I should get on the group buy band wagon for the Inwater units ?
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby striking » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 8:54 am

Or what about the Aqua Illumination Sol Blues ???
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 11:26 am

Hi, :wavey:
When there is more blue and UV, the PAR is up !
Blue and UV emit more PAR than white led, but less lumens, Orphek now also provides any Ratio that is needed.
:cheers:
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby Braddles » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 12:47 pm

striking wrote:Bradies,

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate your opinions. Maybe I should get on the group buy band wagon for the Inwater units ?

I dont want to influence your decision, other than perhaps try to help you make an informed decision.

$710 is still a lot of money in anyones language and I think they are both around this mark.

If something goes wrong with Orphek, where in Brisbane, or Australia do you take it for replacement / repair? I believe you have to send it overseas?? Not a risk / option I am happy with. The distributor for In water is IN australia and ON Masa with an established business.

If your corals start getting light stress, can you dim the orphek? Nope! (You can lift it higher, but not if you have a hood, and not if you dont want light scatter throughout your room). You cant simulate run rise / sun set either - you can with In Water - fully electronically programmable.

Have a google search of Australian and o/sease review articles of Orphek's 2ft fixture.. They are having major quality control issues!

I think the Orpek looks lovely in their perspex case, dont get me wrong... but they are a lot of money for essentially a basic fitting particularly when quality control isnt up there with In water or the Austrian offerings. You can get USA CREE LED Chipped lights from LOCAL distributors out of China in non- programmable fittings for about 50% of what they are charging.

My only advice would be to do your own research, really well... as only you know what your ultimatley prepared to excuse and accept when handing over your hard earned $$.
Braddles
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby n0rk » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 1:26 pm

Gibbon01 wrote:Hi, :wavey:
When there is more blue and UV, the PAR is up !
Blue and UV emit more PAR than white led, but less lumens, Orphek now also provides any Ratio that is needed.

I'd be compelled to disagree.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 1:49 pm

When testing some par readings earlier this week we did see a consistent higher reading under blue's than white's.

Why would that be so?
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Postby n0rk » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 2:09 pm

Unless they're building their emitters differently to the standard process or using different white/blue origins (as in efficiency series), the baseline PAR should be roughly the same as whites tend to be made of multiple lens coats as opposed to just a single. Photon flux should vary little between the two. That having been said, blues pack an impressive amount of punch which is a big reason a lot of people who've gone to LED supplements have ended up bleaching a reasonable amount of their corals. UV shouldn't impact PAR as it falls outside of the spectrum of recognition, and there's very few LEDs which can actually produce it.

What setting were you using, Rusty? Daylight or electronic?
n0rk

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 3:37 pm

n0rk wrote:Unless they're building their emitters differently to the standard process or using different white/blue origins (as in efficiency series), the baseline PAR should be roughly the same as whites tend to be made of multiple lens coats as opposed to just a single. Photon flux should vary little between the two. That having been said, blues pack an impressive amount of punch which is a big reason a lot of people who've gone to LED supplements have ended up bleaching a reasonable amount of their corals. UV shouldn't impact PAR as it falls outside of the spectrum of recognition, and there's very few LEDs which can actually produce it.

What setting were you using, Rusty? Daylight or electronic?

Electronic
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Postby Tone » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 9:04 am

Rusty1 wrote:When testing some par readings earlier this week we did see a consistent higher reading under blue's than white's.

Why would that be so?

What Ben was saying, blue wavelength penetrates deeper into seawater than does white wavelength ... hence the undersea blue/green hue. :)
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby n0rk » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 12:47 pm

Not only that Tone, but in the same series of LEDs, blues and whites should be effectively the same as they're built around the same actual platform. Whites are effectively just blues with more coatings in most builds :)
n0rk

Postby striking » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 3:33 pm

I think I am still leaning towards the Orpheks. They seem to have designed an LED that suit Coral growth.

They also now allow customisation of the blue/white ratios which should help with their aesthetic appearance.

having dimmable light or storm cycles do not really interested me... my MH just turn on...
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby n0rk » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 3:57 pm

Pretty much any LED on the market currently suits coral growth for what it's worth, and I struggle to think of a fixture that doesn't offer at least some level of customisation :)
n0rk

Postby striking » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 6:28 pm

n0rk,

I take it you are not sold on the Orphek's??
striking
RTAW Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 6:40 pm

for what your paying in comparison to what your getting i know im not. there are genuinely better fixtures out there for very similar costs.
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Gibbon01 » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 7:13 pm

:wavey:
Having run these units, together with other local hobbyists, we'd be compelled to disagree.
Gibbon01
Curious Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 7:26 pm

why so, what do they offer apart from there super secret recipe of diode, in comparison to eco lamps, illumimagic, and inwatters?
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby hyjak71 » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 8:59 pm

nothing at all really, maybe deeper light penetration on deeper tanks.
hyjak71
Veteran Reefer

Postby n0rk » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:22 pm

hyjak71 wrote:nothing at all really, maybe deeper light penetration on deeper tanks.

With 90º FWHM lenses out of 160lm/W emitters? Unless someone is hiding something about physics here, that wouldn't be any real benefit beyond anything else out there, Jez.

striking wrote:n0rk,

I take it you are not sold on the Orphek's??

In a word... no :)

Gibbon01 wrote::wavey:
Having run these units, together with other local hobbyists, we'd be compelled to disagree.

On what grounds are these units far and above superior to any other product on the market, exactly? Actual objective grounds I mean, not (often somewhat inaccurate or misleading) sales hype which thus far seems to the Orphek's preferred means of information provision. The Sturm und Drang if you will :)
n0rk

Postby hyjak71 » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm

I did say 'maybe' Ben, it seemed to be the big selling point when I looked into them many months ago but i wasn't convinced they were good value for the money either.
hyjak71
Veteran Reefer

Postby n0rk » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:41 pm

Oh, I know Jez - I just physically can't see it being possible given what we actually know about the numbers involved and the physics that they're governed by :)
n0rk

Postby striking » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:47 pm

So would AI's Sol Blue be a better buy? I think Vertex is a bit out of the budget, 3.5k for a 1200 light is ridiculous...
striking
RTAW Reefer

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion