• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

Postby AU_DEATH » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:22 am

This thread has been setup to start a little bit of discussion on the ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights. There is very little information about it out there, however this is one article review:

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2010/09/orphek-pr-156-reef-aquarium-led-light-review.html

:clap: :clap: :clap: I have done the unthinkable and purchased a few sets to use on my tank. Will post more as I get them....unpack them....set them up....and then over time hopefully show some growth in my corals. I hope to show a few before shots and after shots using the same camera on the same day so that people can get a good look at what they are doing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well...discuss and enjoy (i hope) what comes.

(and if nothing comes of it...atleast I will have some really nice base lights to put in some cree LEDs...LOL)

:cheers: Cheers all :cheers:
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Re: ORPHEK PR-156 LED Lights

Postby mattgreen » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:02 am

they look extreamely nice. any change you could pm me what you paid for them? :thumbsup:
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby azzah » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm

hmm don't seem very cheap http://www.orphek.com/index-2.html and you would need 2 or 3 of them for a 6 footer
azzah
Centurion Reefer

Postby hyjak71 » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:17 pm

not only that but I checked these lights out 2 days ago and the price was $600 per unit and now its $700!!!!
hyjak71
Veteran Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm

Just a tip, when you look at buying anything...remember your friend...HAGGLE...I did and even just by purchasing three units (which I need) I have come out in front of buying the LEDS, Lens and Drivers...let alone making a frame, wiring, timers and the time spent to make each one. I understand your concern about price, however the cost is nothing in comparison to some of the other LEDS which are out there at the moment.

Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby scorch13 » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Rusty,

What sort of tank size do you have for 3 of these units? I'm looking to setup an 8 x 2.5 x 2.5 tank in the near future, and thinking that 4 of these would be a very convenient and effective option for lighting.

Have contacted the supplier to see what they can do for a shipment of 4 units.

Cheers,

Andy
scorch13
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby AU_DEATH » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 2:10 pm

Andy:

I have a 6*2*2 however I also have another tank which I might use the third one on. Here is hoping you can do a good deal with them, who are you speaking with.

Cheers,
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby scorch13 » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Rusty,

I've been speaking with Simone there, the tank is a project in a house yet to be built, so purely in the design phase at the moment, but the prices seem very reasonable for what you get, will be following your thread with interest. Everything I've found online is pretty positive so far, I expect you'll be pretty happy with the results.

Cheers,

Andy
scorch13
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby AU_DEATH » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:54 pm

Reefers one and all;

Today I got the news that my three new LED lights were on the way, they should be arriving at my door on either Friday or Monday at the latest. Standby for all the gorey details...yes and hopefully some nice pics too.

happily waiting
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:59 pm

deffinelty waiting on the pics mate!
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby nowlan » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:47 pm

hyjak71 wrote:not only that but I checked these lights out 2 days ago and the price was $600 per unit and now its $700!!!!

I saw Aud hit 0.94 Us today =)

They are nice looking lights.
Where are they made?

10% off for 3, hmm.
Concern about the $1,000+ duties.
nowlan
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:25 am

Nowlan:

I did a bit of haggling for the price, so I did do a little better than the 10%...on the shipping issue I think we all know what can be done here and there.

Cheers
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 9:44 pm

To all;

The LEDs have arrived, I have taken some pics of them so far however need to post them somewhere to get them on here. Can anyone tell me the best place to put pic online to then link onto the thread.

Cheers
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby hyjak71 » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:07 pm

photobucket, imageshack, wherever really.
hyjak71
Veteran Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:47 pm

Hey all just checking that imageshack is working. Here is a picture of the transportation of the LED, as you can see it is a boarded up section containing three lights. The packing was held together using staples, however the wood was very flimsy, however there was no damage to any item during transport.

AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:57 pm

more pics?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AU_DEATH » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 11:39 pm

Ok guys the story so far.

The lights arrived about a week after I placed the order. Not that bad considering they had to make the units and then ship them. You have seen the shipping in the above photo check. Shipping was conducted through DHL, service was very good and tracking of the movements was done online with a ticket number. Payment was by using PayPal. I was not keen on PP however setup was easy enough and the transaction was complete within a few minutes.

So the unpacking of the equipment, here is a picture of the internals of the boxes, you can see that each item has been pack firmly with that plastic foam. Each item was very secure in the box. Each light had the acrylic protective film still attached, all except one that was (but only the bottom face). I spoke with Simone from the company and she said that every fifth light is checked for functionality...it was then wrapped with glad wrap...WHAT THE. But all was well no scratches there.

So what did I get in the box: 1 LED unit, 1 Aust Plug, 2 Hanging wires and a remote ballast.

The connection between the ballast and the light was interesting; you can see that while it is a plug, it is screw thread locked so that the plug does not become dislodged. In the picture you see the light end, the ballast connects to this with the female end also attached on a similar white cable.

And a general look at the outside of the units and remote ballast. Careful with those screws holding down the top white side...if you loosen these off too far then you could easily have the stainless steel mesh bolt out of its channel. This was easily rectified and I could continue on no worries. I did however need to clean up the drilled holes on the acrylic top...melted plastic half moon around the holes, easily removed (just a case of attention to detail I think on the manufacturers part needed there).
Side View:
Top View:
Bottom View (the bit you get light out off...LOL)
Closer look at the LEDs: White
Blue

The below image shows the remote ballast with the timers. The timer on the left as you see it controls the white LEDs, with the right timer obviously controlling the blue. The timers themselves are very easy to use, I was able to quickly set them up within about two minutes. They are quite small however, but hey do we want to have really bulky timers...I have to say that the ballasts themselves are fairly large, I would say that are at least the size if not bigger than ones that I used on my 250W metal halides (electronic ballasts). The plastic covers over the timers...hmmmm not very good. I have to say that if you looked at them too hard they would fall off.

Well let me know what you think so far, I will try and get you some pictures of the install...I have done two lights so far, but need to put in the third. Happy chatting about the light, will post further as I go.

Cheers all
Rusty
AU_DEATH
Centurion Reefer

Postby dorz » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:19 pm

looks really nice :) lets see some light ouptut!
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!