• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Protein skimmer

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Protein skimmer

Postby firechild » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 2:23 pm

I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years and am in the planning stages of setting up a new tank - inspired by a recent visit to a great LFS. It's been a while since I looked at trends with respect to brands and techniques (e.g. T5 vs LED) so I'm not sure where to start when looking at a protein skimmer. I have a 280L tank with sump so realistic volume is probably 300Lish. From memory my last skimmer was a royal exclusiv which was a nice piece of equipment but I'm hoping not to spend $1k this time around. Any suggestions on reasonable quality brands would be great.
firechild
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Protein skimmer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 6:28 pm

I take it then that you've offloaded your previous equipment? I'm in the same situation but kept everything. Pulled everything into the garage, car's been parked outside for a month as I go through it all. As far as skimmers, I'll be re-employing the Deltec TC2060 but now I think of it I probably shouldn't get too cocky before unboxing and checking the pump/impeller is good to go. I just pulled the impeller in half trying (using the slide hammer, gently) to get it out of the Aquamedic OR6500 I had spare. I believe the impeller rusted internally and wedged itself in tight.

From what I've seen recently though there doesn't appear to have been any significant technological advancements but I haven't looked that closely either.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby firechild » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 7:51 pm

Unfortunately the ex wife offloaded the lot for $500, so I don't have much at all. There are some vortech's in a box somewhere but yet to be tested.
firechild
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby saltydog » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 9:21 pm

For the lower price range end, I like the coral box skimmers.
Currently using the C9 on my 700ltr tank.

Chris
DTSTTCPW
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Tue 03 Nov, 2020 11:54 am

Good to see another old timer pop in Aaron!
I got sick of replacing pumps on my skimmer, so haven't run one for some years. Sorry I can't be of much help.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 2:22 pm

firechild wrote:Unfortunately the ex wife offloaded the lot for $500, so I don't have much at all. There are some vortech's in a box somewhere but yet to be tested.

Well that sux.

On a brighter note I unboxed the Deltec 2060. Skimmer pump works and what's more I also found a spare impeller. Can't for the life of me remember buying a spare but it's there along with the bits of the broken one. Incidentally I should have a spare skimmer in storage. It was one of the Dallas ones and would just need a 3-4000LPH pump if you wanted to borrow it until you settle on something permanent. I'm at the other end of town but still get to the Northern Beaches to visit family if you're still up that way.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby firechild » Fri 06 Nov, 2020 11:14 am

Hey Colin, good to see you're still around. I'm not sure if the reefing hobby has become less popular or people just aren't using forums anymore but it seems like all the old forums are significantly less active these days, even the US ones.

Thanks for the offer Cheezo. I only made a decision to convert my tank to marine about a week ago so it's still early days. I think a skimmer will be one of the first pieces of equipment I pick up though.
firechild
Old Sea Dog Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion