• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Vodka dosing dilemma.

A place to discuss water chemistry and in depth and cutting edge discussions of advanced methodologies and concepts of reef keeping.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion

Vodka dosing dilemma.

Postby Belgian Anthias » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 12:16 pm

Why nitrates may build up in a well lid aquarium and are not used up by photoautotrophs not needing any organic carbon and have an unlimited energy source?
Probably because one ore more of the other building materials can not be provided sufficiantly. Logic as a skimmer removes part of the building materials continiously.
A lot of reefers add carbohydrates to lower the nitrate level storing the nitrogen in bacterial biomass, the production of protein. But where do these baceria get the building materials for fast growth? I suppose they use the building materials previously used by other organisms. I conclude that maintaining a high C:N ratio may wipe out the previously installed autotrophic carying capacity as these fast growing bacteria prefere ammonium-nitrogen as a nitrogen source and not nitrate- nitrogen and will mess up the existing bio-balans by limitimg the availebility of nutrients and building materials for slower growing organisms.
As reinstalling the lost nitrification capacity may take several days, even weeks, what will be the consequences when for some reason the ammonia reduction capacity, now based partially ore completely on heterotrophic growth, can not be maintained ?
Belgian Anthias
Curious Reefer

Re: Vodka dosing dilemma.

Postby Belgian Anthias » Thu 27 Dec, 2018 9:17 am

After doing some research I conclude that dosing carbo hydrates may not be as innocent as one may think. The fact that bacteria prefere to use NH4-N instead of NO3-N for fast growth means that I have a dilemma. When starting up the system one has to wait a long time to install the crrying capacity of the system, which is based on the ability to reduce ammonium, in this case installing sufficient nitrification capacity. As dosing carbon may remove all ammonium there may be nothing left to be nitrified. How the carrying capacity of the system will be maintained when the induced growth, on which the system is dependable at that moment, for some reason stops suddenly? I know maintaining a high C:N ratio will inhibit nitrification and promotes DNRA. How the creation of a high C:N ratio can be prevented when dosing carbon ?

A lot of reefers are dosing carbon, how do they do it to keep it safe? Or is the removal of the nitrification capacity not considered a problem?
Belgian Anthias
Curious Reefer

Return to Chemistry & Advanced Concepts Discussion