• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Hitchhikers

Dedicated forum for discussions on all things to do with corals and invertebrates (identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy etc). If it doesn't have a backbone, discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)

Hitchhikers

Postby Quombat » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 1:19 pm

Thought I would share my first experiences of unwanted hitch hikers that came along with my last couple of purchases.

First up were some bristle worms poking their heads out of some (what I thought were) empty shells. They hadn't been dipped at first, but after seeing one I did a bit of research and decided that although beneficial I didn't want to risk them being the fireworm type and also didn't like the idea of ending up with their bristles in my fingers one day. Interestingly, they survived being dipped in coral dip that was diluted as per the instructions, and I had to give them a second blast with pure dip dripped straight inside the shell.

Second is something I haven't conclusively identified but I think is some kind of flatworm.. This guy seemed to shrivel up after being dipped for a second time and was then pulled off the base of the coral. Seen on the right hand side of the picture below, a worm with what looks like a little head:

And finally, on the same coral piece as above is what I think is a bunch of aiptasia (!) which I couldn't get a good picture of because it retracted at the slightest bit of movement or light, which matches what I read about aiptasia. I scraped the bulk of this off before realising this wasn't the best idea.. and then hit the final piece with some super glue.

Hopefully I managed to catch these pests before they left anything reproduce-able behind in my tank!
Quombat
Curious Reefer
WA Reefer

Re: Hitchhikers

Postby Quombat » Fri 23 Apr, 2021 3:57 pm

So a mate has told me that what I thought was aiptasia could have also been feather dusters. I'll have to do some more reading up on the two.
Quombat
Curious Reefer
WA Reefer

Return to Algaes, Corals and Invertebrates: ID's, Diseases, Pests, Parasites & Treatments Forum