• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Use of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant treatment

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Re: Use of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant treatment

Postby Darr1n » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:32 am

Doesn't sound good Paul, hope they recover.
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PaulG » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 1:58 pm

Darr1n wrote:Doesn't sound good Paul, hope they recover.

nope they didn't

God danm fish! Inverts are oh so much more forgiving
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Darr1n » Fri 31 Dec, 2010 5:30 pm

Sorry to hear Paul.

I bathed my grammas again for 1/2 hour and maybe an hour later they were back out and swimming around. I actually overdosed (check and check again boys and girls :nut: ) at around 100ppm the first time, this time was 75ppm.

Hopefully long term they will be good.
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Darr1n » Thu 06 Jan, 2011 8:29 am

Darr1n wrote:Sorry to hear Paul.

I bathed my grammas again for 1/2 hour and maybe an hour later they were back out and swimming around. I actually overdosed (check and check again boys and girls :nut: ) at around 100ppm the first time, this time was 75ppm.

Hopefully long term they will be good.

Thought I would update on my Royal Gramma pair.

Well approx 3 days after the second treatement the female pasted. I was certain the male had passed and was preparing to strip down the tank when I got home from work. To my suprise, as I was about to syphon the water out, out came the male.

Left him that night, and the following morning. The next night I put a small amount of food in and he ate. Fed him again this morning and he ate a little more.

No signs of disease, but some definite skin damage. I have not used any other treatments.

So :crossfingers: , and I hope can recover.
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dr DBW » Thu 06 Jan, 2011 8:44 am

:(

Hope they pull through Paul.
Dr DBW
Witnessed The Cambrian Explosion
RTAW Moderator

Postby Darr1n » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 8:47 am

Ok, as I have mentioned I have a Royal Gramma still eating well but had some for of prasitic disease.

I have been treating with HP, and he is eating well.

What I would like to do is completely clean out the HT tank and re-fill it, so will this work?

1) Remove fish for HP bath (at 75ppm for 30min)
(during bath)
2) Drain tank completely and dry out (how to do this??? paper towel???)
3) Fill the tank with aged ASW
4) Add new aged/cycled(?) filter
5) Add new pvc
(now to re-introduce)
6) After 30min bath, begin drip acclimatising for 30-45min (until water had doubled)
7) Remove fish into new tank with NONE of the HP bath water

Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby saltydog » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 10:00 am

Darr1n wrote:2) Drain tank completely and dry out (how to do this??? paper towel???)

I doubt you will get it dry enough in that time.
Add this fish with some tank water to a bucket, then I would:
Drain - bleach - drain - fill freshwater/sodium thio/drain/dry - wash/rinse(well)/drain/ - smell - fill. Add a little "prime" if your still worried about residue bleach.
Once filled and ready then go ahead with the peroxide bath.

Chris
DTSTTCPW
saltydog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:18 am

I have used this method where I setup a tub completely separate to the HT.

Using a bucket or other suitable container acclimatise the fish to the new tub water before performing the H2O2 dip in the new tub water.

The fish can then be moved directly to the tub without the need for further acclimatisation and the new tub is available immediately if the fish shows signs of distress during the bath.

This will also allow you observe the bath rather than running about trying to get the HT sterilised and rinsed.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:35 pm

saltydog wrote:Drain - bleach - drain - fill freshwater/sodium thio/drain/dry - wash/rinse(well)/drain/ - smell - fill. Add a little "prime" if your still worried about residue bleach. Chris

you can use peroxide to neutralise bleach (rather than prime), peroxide converts bleach to salt in water and gives off O2. (if you're interested - NaClO + H2O2 → NaCl + H2O + O2).

peroxide is also a stronger oxidant than bleach, if you happened to pick up a bottle of 6% you could use this (undiluted) to clean the bucket, this would be stronger than household bleach (3.5% NaClO) and leave no residue.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Darr1n » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks guys,

I do have a spare BRT that I have never used, this should help I think as the temporary home.
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 9:21 pm

I've just completed a prophylactic bath for three small Heniochus diphreutes (Masked Bannerfish or False Moorish Idol) about 50-60mm. 30 min @ 60ppm (4ml 6% H2O2 in 4L).

Nil discomfort noted. All bathed at the same time.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks for the info Ollie.

Any updates on the Angel you treated a little while ago?
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 12:44 am

Yep, full recovery. Did I not post that in this thread :-s Maybe I mentioned it in my TJ :nut:

After a 28 day regime the angel was added to the display. I was concerned at the time that her left pectoral fin may have been permanently damaged but although slow to recover has completely healed.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:55 pm

Hmm just noticed white spots on one of the three bannerfish. Actually all three have it but two are definitely micro bubbles whereas the third is definitely white spots and tends to twitch.

Will now start peroxide baths for all three. First will be 75ppm for 30 minutes.

Just can't go smoothly can it :wall:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:18 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:Yep, full recovery. Did I not post that in this thread :-s Maybe I mentioned it in my TJ :nut:

After a 28 day regime the angel was added to the display. I was concerned at the time that her left pectoral fin may have been permanently damaged but although slow to recover has completely healed.

Sorry mate, yes you did, was wondering if it was still charging on strong.

Good luck with the treatment.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Darr1n » Tue 08 Mar, 2011 10:08 am

CheezotheClown wrote:Hmm just noticed white spots on one of the three bannerfish. Actually all three have it but two are definitely micro bubbles whereas the third is definitely white spots and tends to twitch.

Will now start peroxide baths for all three. First will be 75ppm for 30 minutes.

Just can't go smoothly can it :wall:

The HP did work for me (lost the female-small gramma but male ok) but the biggest thing was the stress from removing for the dips.
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:21 pm

Just used this at 104ppm for 45 minutes on a new centropayge angel didn't seam to care once in the HP. Going to do the 3 day method with HP dips between changing tubs.

Fish has undergone a second treatment with nill side effects observed at 104ppm for 45 minutes. I noticed that it seams to make the fish a brighter colour possibly by oxidising dead tissue from the fish.... Colours appear more vivid but mite be due to moving the fish about.
MASAOG COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012
Eclip's Sumpless CLOSED DOWN
---------------------------------
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby rossco » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 11:56 am

Might have missed it while reading through but what would be the recommended method of equipment sterilisation between dips and the like?
Do we just use a solution of HP for this as well? If so how strong should it be and how well rinsed should the items be before using in a HT/QT?
rossco
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby rossco » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 6:38 pm

Blue tang about 90mm bathed for 35 minutes in 5l with 60ppm HP.
Heavily infected with Ich. Fish seemed to be mildly irritated by the bath.
There were no real signs of distress other than wanting to escape from a small tub.
2 hrs later and the treated fish seems no different to the untreated tankmate.
rossco
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby JohnoL » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 7:03 pm

rossco wrote:Might have missed it while reading through but what would be the recommended method of equipment sterilisation between dips and the like?
Do we just use a solution of HP for this as well? If so how strong should it be and how well rinsed should the items be before using in a HT/QT?

I used boiling water to "sterilise" everything...
JohnoL
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Onsan » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 7:38 pm

Sterilising equipment can be done with undiluted ≥3.5% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) or with ≥3% Hydrogen Peroxide, I prefer peroxide as it doesn't need anything more than a simple rinse in water to neutralise but it's a little more costly, bleach takes a bit more care but costs less.

Good luck with the treatment.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:21 am

I bleach to sterilise. Some things get undiluted and some are diluted 1:1 up to 1:20. If I have significantly diluted the bleach I let whatever I'm trying to sterilise sit longer in the solution.

I poured some bleach into a tub where I had lost fish overnight and left it pumps running. Later I recalled the dangers of mixing bleach and ammonia (from the deceased fish) :bs:

It has got me wondering though. If I needed to sterilise quickly using bleach what are some of the ways to then remove the residual bleach?

rossco wrote:Blue tang about 90mm bathed for 35 minutes in 5l with 60ppm HP.
There were no real signs of distress other than wanting to escape from a small tub.

Does it look like the treated fish has haemorrhaging? The bannerfish I treated recently lost colour and I could see thin blood patches under the skin. Whether this was the result of HP or the pathogen or perhaps a combination I'm not sure.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:50 am

CheezotheClown wrote:It has got me wondering though. If I needed to sterilise quickly using bleach what are some of the ways to then remove the residual bleach?

Lots of chemicals will, such as HCl (but potentially dangerous), sodium metabisulphite (toxic tho), but you need to be careful of the chemicals produced, so the safest two imo are Peroxide and Sunlight.
Hydrogen Peroxide thru the reaction NaClO + H2O2 → NaCl + H2O + O produces saltwater and Oxygen and is much quicker than sunlight.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks Onsan. If for instance I had a 50L tub I sterilised with bleach and gave a good rinse, how much H2O2 would be required to allow immediate use of the tub?

Would a wipe down with a paper towel made wet with peroxide be sufficient?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby rossco » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 6:37 am

CheezotheClown wrote:
rossco wrote:Blue tang about 90mm bathed for 35 minutes in 5l with 60ppm HP.

Does it look like the treated fish has haemorrhaging? The bannerfish I treated recently lost colour and I could see thin blood patches under the skin. Whether this was the result of HP or the pathogen or perhaps a combination I'm not sure.

Not as of lights out last night. I'll check later in the day though.
The poor tangs have more poc marks than a whole Maccas full of pimple faced teens.
I have two blue tangs around the same size that are both heavily infested and for now they are in a holding tank while the HT is made ready. I figured it was a good chance to test out the HP.
The treated tang was eating immediately after treatment and I imagine it would've eaten during the treatment but that's tangs for you.

All of the fish seem to be getting around ok for now so I have high hopes for a successful recovery. It's only a couple of chromis that have vanished and that is usually the crab or the CBS.
:thumbsup:

PS.
Just decided to check up on the tangs and it seems the treated fish has no visible trophonts. I made the decision to return it to the DT until the HT is ready just to ease the stress a little. The tang left in the holding tank is still covered with trophonts.

Update: It seems there are still some trophonts attached to the treated fish. Nothing compared to the other specimen though.
rossco
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Onsan » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:29 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:Thanks Onsan. If for instance I had a 50L tub I sterilised with bleach and gave a good rinse, how much H2O2 would be required to allow immediate use of the tub?

Would a wipe down with a paper towel made wet with peroxide be sufficient?

Short answer;
Rinse the bucket well and 30-60ml would be more than sufficient. I don't know about using a cloth (maybe a cottonball would be better?), my method for a 25L bucket is to rinse, add 30ml, swill around base, along sides, get my hand in there and wipe the peroxide all around a couple of times, rinse, smell to be sure, never had to repeat but if you smelled Chlorine, repeat.

The reaction is a balanced equation so 1 mol of each will complete it, "basically" - about equal parts of each.
So if you've rinsed it well you could work on a film of bleach say 1mm thick over the surface area of the container, calculate volume, add that volume plus a little more to be sure the reaction is unrestricted, and that's bucket chemistry 101.

You could also fill the bucket with water and add the 30-60ml and let it mix and sit, the reaction will still occur in the same manner, just dilution increases so to will reaction time.

If you'd like to test it, grab a pippette, take 1ml of bleach in a small container, add 1ml of H2O2, watch the reaction (bubbles), mix a little, give a little time and then test with a chlorine test kit. If you're a tool like me, that's my tongue, tho that is definitely not a recommendation (not that anything bad happens, I'm just not telling people to go drink chemicals, fools :bs: ) (FWIW, it tastes just like salt water and peroxide mouthwash, funny that :nut: ).
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks Onsan, I get what you're saying... and quite amusing :roflmao:

So if it's too chloriney add more peroxide got it :nut:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 5:50 pm

basically yep, you won't need much at all, just ensure you cover the entire surface area, and it'll do the trick.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 18 May, 2011 11:51 am

Bathed a small A. occilaris clown last night. 2ml 6% to 2L for 30 minutes (not exact the wind up timer stopped 5min after starting :wall: )

Symptoms of the clown were that it was being bullied by just about everything in the tank with labored swimming in the top corner just under the surface. The surface of the fish appeared pale but not like it has extra mucus and the fins although not frayed do not look like a completely healthy fish's should.

Fish placed in QT after the bath and looks to be swimming normally which is probably more of a result of removing it from stressors.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Kitiara » Sat 28 May, 2011 1:09 pm

Just bought 5 juvenile queen anthias, bathed in 75ppm for 30mins prior to quarantine as a precaution (all fish appeared healthy prior to bath). All fish stayed huddled together in a group, no abnormal breathing. Likely just stressed from being netted and bagged at the LFS and then brought home.

Will not treat again unless they show some sign of illness.
Kitiara
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification