• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Use of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant treatment

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Re: Use of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant treatment

Postby Onsan » Sun 29 May, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for the info guys, i'll add it to reefpedia.

an excerpt from http://www.great-lakes.org/Wkly_news/07 ... tml#Oxygen on using Peroxide to boost Oxygen levels in water.

Southtowns Walleye Association of WNY wrote:Oxygen for minnows
Use Hydrogen-peroxide
Laboratory tests conducted by fish culturists in recent years have demonstrated that common household hydrogen-peroxide can be used safely to provide oxygen for small fish. Hydrogen-peroxide releases oxygen by decomposition when it is added to water.

In one test, 25 fry (2 cm long) were put into each of two one-quart bottles of water. Then, during a three-day period, 12 drops of hydrogen-peroxide were added to one bottle, and none to the other. The result: 100 % of the treated fry survived and 100 % of the untreated fry perished.

In another test, 50 fry were kept in a one-quart bottle and two
drops of hydrogen-peroxide were added to the water every four hours. In three days, 86 % of the fry were still alive and well.

Researchers tested this idea in the hopes of using it to provide small hatchery fish with oxygen during transportation periods. Anglers who use live minnows for bait might also want to experiment with the idea. To be safe, start off by adding only very small amounts of hydrogen-peroxide to a minnow bucket. And remember that it takes about 600 drops of the size used by the researchers to make one fluid ounce. Also, keep in mind that water temperature is very important to minnow survival. Keep the water in a minnow bucket fresh and cool.
(Courtesy: Southtowns Walleye Association of WNY)
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Kitiara » Tue 31 May, 2011 7:55 am

The anthias appear to have marine velvet. I lot one on Sun evening, one was dead when I got home from work last night and another when I checked this morning. currently doing second treatment at 100ppm for 45 mins on the remaining 2. Both fish sitting quietly together in the jar, no sign of distress from treatment.

Considering the fast mortality of this (appearing fine to dead in around 12 hours) I am not holding my breath on these 2 surviving.
Kitiara
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 31 May, 2011 4:28 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:Bathed a small A. occilaris clown last night. 2ml 6% to 2L for 30 minutes (not exact the wind up timer stopped 5min after starting :wall: )

Symptoms of the clown were that it was being bullied by just about everything in the tank with labored swimming in the top corner just under the surface. The surface of the fish appeared pale but not like it has extra mucus and the fins although not frayed do not look like a completely healthy fish's should.

Fish placed in QT after the bath and looks to be swimming normally which is probably more of a result of removing it from stressors.

The little guy didn't survive :( . Probably the elevated stress levels further elevated with the move to the QT.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby rossco » Tue 31 May, 2011 7:29 pm

Hey cheezo,
I gave up on the treatment andf so far have no casualties.
I'm not sure what I'm getting at but all this QT stuff seems to really mess with fish.
rossco
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Kitiara » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 6:41 pm

All anthias have now passed on. Does not appear that the peroxide helped with this at all
Kitiara
Veteran Reefer

Postby forsaken » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 11:36 pm

anyone still dosing with Hydrogen Peroxide? Any better or worse side effects?
forsaken
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification