• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Stringy Crap Situation

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Stringy Crap Situation

Postby Mielo » Tue 04 May, 2021 3:22 pm

Purchased a Coral Beauty two weeks ago and noticed that it has some stringy poo. The poo can sometimes extend to 15-20cm stuck in its bottom before it breaks off. The colour of its poo is usually the colour of the food I just fed it. e.g. Nori would produce green stringy poo. Over the past two weeks, I have been feeding it spirulina enriched brine, Mysis, New Life Spectrum Marine pellets, Nori and it devours everything I place in the tank. The CB is active, fat and appears healthy and is currently in my QT.

I have done a bit of research and discovered that there are various schools of thought on the topic. Some say its related to stress, some say its diet and it will go away if the diet is improved or stress factors are removed. The CB is currently in alone my QT and water parameters are spot on so I dont think its stress related. As mentioned above, I am feeding him a varied diet.

Others believe its a parasitic infection. As my CB is still in the QT, I decided to purchase Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets (Prazi) as it is a good preventative as well. I completed the treatment on Saturday but the poop is still the same today. Upon further investigation, it appears that I may have purchased the incorrect medication as I should have gotten Levamisole which is sold as a pig and poultry dewormer.

Should I bite the bullet and treat my CB with Levamisole or should I wait till the 4 week QT period is finished and see what happens? I just dont want to treat if it may not be necessary.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Re: Stringy Crap Situation

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 04 May, 2021 7:09 pm

I'd probably hold off of using treatments particularly when you don't know what it is you are trying to treat.

I would be adding a vitamin supplement to every think you feed it and see how that goes. I used to use the Sera product, Fistamin but it seems it is no longer available locally. I was introduced to Reef Revolution's Fish Nutrition+ and appears to be doing the trick with getting fish a range of vitamins they might otherwise be missing. I use a drop on the food and let it soak in. Results noted from the quick change in brightening the fishes colours and any frayed fins quickly healing. Of course it could just be cleaner conditions free from stress too but I do think the vitamins help.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Wed 05 May, 2021 8:24 am

Thank you Cheezo

I will definitely look into the Reef Revolution's Fish Nutrition+.

I have also been informed that a product called Selcon is also great food booster which also is not readily available locally. I did however find a DIY Selcon recipe:
- 125ml pure cod liver - menhaden oil (or a mixture of omega 3 fatty acids such as DHA/EPA) add 12 ml lecithin 2 grams Spirulina powder (20 microns) and 100 ml RO water. Blend all this until its like a pudding consistency.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 05 May, 2021 2:07 pm

I always like the idea of DIY but in this case I think the commercial product is just easiest. Looking to get those ingredients doesn't seem hard but even with heavy usage they would last ages I think. Then you run into shelf life issues.

What do you do with this recipe? I suppose you leave it at room temp or do you refrigerate, or can it be frozen?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Wed 05 May, 2021 4:31 pm

I personally have not used the recipe, but I believe that the 'pudding' gets placed in an ice cube tray and frozen for later use.

I do agree with the ease of the commercial product so I am in the process of purchasing the Reef Revolution's Fish Nutrition+ as per your recommendation.

Thank you Cheezo!
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 05 May, 2021 11:09 pm

:thumbsup:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Thu 06 May, 2021 5:11 pm

Should I maybe consider moving him to the DT a bit earlier? I was planning on leaving him in the qt for 4 weeks and he has been in the QT of just over two weeks now. The only issue that I can see is the stringy poop. Maybe the problem will resolve itself with him swimming in 300 gallon tank and having over 200kgs of live rock to forage on

Thoughts?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 06 May, 2021 11:47 pm

I would not be moving a fish with questionable health into the DT. In fact I would probably want to see the fish healthy for some time before even contemplating it which is the reason for a QT.

I don't think that foraging is going to be the solution and I haven't heard of dwarf angels needing to do so to avoid the symptoms yours is exhibiting. If you were that keen I would move rock into the QT rather than the fish into the DT (the rock would not be going back in the DT BTW unless the fish made it through the QT healthy and then not for some time after just in case the fish was still afflicted). Maybe try a new pack of frozen. Mysis or brine, rotifiers whatever just different to the fish's diet now although I think you mentioned you've already tried varying foods.

It could still be stress; get those vitamins into the CB's diet. Does the QT have something for it to hide in like some PVC pipe? Two weeks is still pretty soon and the fish may still be stringy-shit scared of its environment. It may take another few weeks to settle.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Fri 07 May, 2021 10:48 am

The QT is a 40lt Aqua one nano cube and originally, it did have live rock in the tank with a few zoas and a small sinularia when I first introduced the CB in the QT. I removed all the live rock and coral and placed a clay pot in the QT when I started treating the CB with the Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets on Thursday 29/04. Did the recommended 25% water change on Saturday 01/05.

Last night was the first time I started running the skimmer on the QT with Activated Carbon inside the skimmer after the treatment. The CB is still eating (like a pig) whatever I throw into the tank, and appears to be very alert and does not display any symptoms of potentially having parasites (i.e. sunken stomach etc) apart form the stringy poop which is still present and is still the color of the food. He usually hides in the clay pot or under the internal filter when he feels threatened, but otherwise he swims around like he does not have a care in the world and actually comes up to me when I come close to the tank expecting food.

The CB did come from an established tank and based on its history apparently went through two tank shutdowns (before the previous owner) and has been with the previous owner for over 6 months in a 6ft tank. He had another CB with him which appeared to be a female and the previous owner says they supposedly did the 'mating' dance (I am not sure if it was mating or intimidating dance) and never attacked each other. The only apparent reason for parting the CB was that he and his clowns constantly fought and apparently caused bodily harm to one of the clowns. The CB was housed in the sump when I went to collect him. I tried contacting the previous owner but have not received a response as yet.

I will start introducing those vitamins in his food as soon as I get the Reef Revolution's Fish Nutrition+ and I need to buy some more frozen food as I am close to running out. Should I continue with the spirulina enhanced brine shrimp. Should I consider any other foods or maybe other medicated foods? If so, which should I consider purchasing?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 07 May, 2021 1:08 pm

I guess the issue remains a bit of a mystery for now. I think you're doing the best you can and your QT setup seems a good one.

The CB otherwise seems healthy and unfussed - also seems quite accustomed to the home aquaria environment too which makes it difficult to imagine it is overly stressed either. Still have plenty of time. See what happens with the vitamin enriched foods then make a call. I'd keep going with the spirulina brine shrimp too.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Fri 07 May, 2021 5:15 pm

:thumbsup: :cheers:
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 11 May, 2021 3:02 pm

I am going to start the CB on the vitamin enriched food soon and see how it goes. Hopefully it all works out and stringy poo will be no longer.

In the instance it does not work and I am forced to treat the CB, I recently received some additional feedback that I should actually try Metronidazole (Flagyl) instead of Levamisole as the propable culprit causing the stringy feces are protozoans or bacteria.

WOrst case scenario....should I go with Metronidazole or Levamisole?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 13 May, 2021 3:36 pm

I haven’t looked into either treatment but did you mention the Levamisole is an anti-wormer?

What did you find out was different with the Metronidazole treatment?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sat 15 May, 2021 10:25 am

I have been informed that the stringy poo may not necessarily caused by ‘worms’ and as a result been suggested Metronidazole as it treats a vast variety and range of both internal and external protozoan infections and parasites (not worms).
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 16 May, 2021 11:47 pm

I thought that may have been the story, in which case if I were inclined to try something I'd probably give the Metronidazole a go. Once again, only after giving the vitamins a fair chance at rectifying the symptoms.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Mon 17 May, 2021 9:05 am

Thank you Cheezo!

I have been soaking the frozen food & Nori in the Reef Revolution's Fish Nutrition+ since Friday. I have not seen any improvement thus far where the poop is concerned, but will keep persevering. He is still eating like a pig and still appears fat, healthy and very active.

@Cheezo - What do reckon 'a fair chance' would be? Another week or two before considering the Metronidazole?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 17 May, 2021 11:41 am

With the caveat of "my guess is as good as yours" I'd do the same, ie another 2-3 weeks then perhaps give the Metronidazole a try.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Tue 18 May, 2021 8:52 am

Will Do, Thank you Cheezo!

Fingers crossed the vitamins resolves the issue.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Mon 24 May, 2021 3:46 pm

One week down....no improvement where the poo is concerned...Still appears very vibrant, fat, healthy, responsive and still eats like a pig....
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mielo » Thu 27 May, 2021 8:54 am

Upon further research, I discovered that some are feeding their fish skinless green peas which apparently acts as a laxative due to its high protein content. Will try this for a few days and see before resorting to the Metronidazole treatment.
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 27 May, 2021 7:40 pm

Mielo wrote:Upon further research, I discovered that some are feeding their fish skinless green peas which apparently acts as a laxative due to its high protein content. Will try this for a few days and see before resorting to the Metronidazole treatment.

Interesting. Keen to hear the results on that one Mielo.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mielo » Sun 30 May, 2021 5:02 pm

The CB has now been over 6 weeks in the qt. All his food (mysis, brine, nori) has been soaked in fish nutrition + for the past two weeks. I even fed him skinless peas for the last week. He is still devouring anything and everything I place in the tank. Still very active and appears very healthy and fat overall.

He still, however is crapping the green stringy poo. Its still exactly the same from when I noticed it six weeks ago and there appears to be no improvement. Should I now consider additional treatment e.g the Metronidazole treatment?
Mielo
Veteran Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification