• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

A MASA Podcast - Suggestion/ideas thread

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: General Discussion

A MASA Podcast - Suggestion/ideas thread

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 12:51 pm

Last night was an interesting night of wine and discussions which turned out to be surprisingly productive.

An idea thrown out and about was "What about some form of podcast".

Now, I'm happy to host and organize.
The podcast will be done on a 'when I feel like it' basis. So, don't expect weekly, but maybe monthly or something like that would be possible.

How I plan to do this:
Google Hangout.
It can have up to 10 participants and 'unlimited' viewers.
I'll use the IRC/Chat channel to field questions from viewers for the Podcast.
Maybe 1/2 hr - 1hr casts.
1 week notice before a cast. So people can try to put it in their diary/calendar if they feel they'd like to take part in the discussions.

Very rough and ready Episode Plans:
* Meet the committee: Get members of the committee in. They can have time to talk about what they do for the community, how we can help (volunteer), where we are going. Field questions.
* Tank of the month/year interviews: To begin with we may do a few past winners.
* Notable members: There's always a few that stand out in some way. eg. Acro Al and his amazing work with Clams. Captain Crash and his work with trying to breed tangs. Pete (Oceanarium) and his amazing aquaculture facility. (Will take suggestions/nominations)
* Thread discussions. This could be things like discussing Lanth Chlor. We've got a few chemists who could talk about how it works and how they'd suggest using it.
* Different filtration systems. We've got skimmers yes. But there is also occasional discussions about Algae Scrubbers. I think I might be able to convince Santa Monica Filtration to come for a chat.

---------------------------------------------------
So what do people think?
Would people be happy with listening to the sultry sound of my voice asking the hard-hitting questions?

There will need to be some 'behind the scene discussions' with committee! Obviously, this is MASA business. I need their permission before I can do this. I would love to do this under MASA umbrella and not 'my steam'. There would also need to be discussions about sponsorships/business discussions in the podcast. (Allowed? Not allowed? Special offers?)

Throw suggestions for how this should be handled. What episodes you think maybe fun/interesting. Legal concerns! Anything.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Re: A MASA Podcast - Suggestion/ideas thread

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:35 pm

Just my opinion...

I have never done a podcast before however I listen to upwards of 20-30 different podcasts across multiple different interests on throughout my week and one reason why I suggested a reefing podcast is because there is a big hole in the area I can guarantee you a well made podcast will attract many international listeners as there are limited casts out there on this topic and what I have found is either no longer active or lackluster.

To me a well made podcast is not about professional sound quality but more about the presenters and what's discussed. That doesn't mean you need to have a list of topics and people to interview although they are a great highlight for podcast episodes and it creates interesting features for listeners. Listening to some intelligent people as I think you put it Aydee in another thread, "shoot the breeze", on a topic your are interested in (in this case reefing) is extremely enjoyable.

My suggestion is to keep the cast to maximum of three presenters and no more than two guests on at the same time. Anymore and its easy for the hosts to get off topic and depending how well everyone communicates it can become disjointed and hard to listen to. I think it will come down to your personal circle Aydee if you have one or two other intelligent friends you enjoy talking reefing with rope them in as a fellow presenter!!, chances are if you guys/girls have great chats and enjoy "shooting the breeze" together then we will enjoy listening to you guys talk. If not fly solo!

I also suggest listening to some well rated podcasts in others areas of interest and see how they do things and you can steal some of their ideas ;)

I haven't played with google hangout so I am not sure how it works but chances are most listeners will want to listen to a podcast in their own time so my vote is for prerecorded and then released episodes also makes it easier to organize hosts and you can record it in your own time and edit before release. I think a live cast is a great every now and then thing and a special treat for listeners.

There are infinite things to discuss in regards to this as you have highlighted in your thread from legal concerns and hosting to topics and ideas. If you like anything I have suggested or want to discuss anything further I just give me a yell. If your happy with the way you have it sorted then I look forward to listening.

Rob
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for that Rob.
You raise some 'beyond excellent' points. So, I'll address them. Because, YES I have thought about them. (hooray.. ??) I also listen to many a podcast. Some are fantastic. Some.. Not so.
1) First: Topics. You need a topic of some sort. Sure, saying "Reefkeeeping" is good. But it's massive. It truly is. But we need 'topics' within reefkeeping. Hence why I'd love my first one to be MASA specific. "Meet the Committee". What's in it for us? You get the idea. From there, I want to talk to reef-keepers about what they think makes their system work. I want to talk to LFS owners and get their stories. Then I want to talk to to "Web-based" fish stores and get their stories. You get the idea. But chat based (shoot the breeze style) certainly.

2) Presenters: At present. Me. Maybe not exciting. But that may/will change in time. Let's see what happens and what works. I'm new at this, but I'm willing to learn. Importantly: MASA will be the base for this. If you feel it's not working, you can talk to me directly and we'll see what happens!

3) Number of guests: Also important and agree with your numbers. Too many and what happens is that the insightful guy who doesn't say much, says nothing.

4) Google Hangouts: This is kinda nifty. They have an 'on-air' function. This can be recorded. So, you get the live cast where people can contribute, then at the end, I encode and upload. I'd prefer to keep the 'live' thing for time being. We're not huge. The podcast will be small. Being able to field 'callers' would be fantastic. Especially whilst I'm still new and learning the ropes.

But most importantly. I want feedback. I want suggestions. This is a community endeavor (at least, that's how I imagine it). So. Get your 2c. (Search the back of couch if necessary) and throw them in!

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:59 pm

You can also make a MASA youtube account and livestream with live chat? This also gets recorded and kept as far as im aware.

Edit:fixed spelling mistake.
Last edited by NewyReefer on Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:01 pm

Yup. That's the "hangouts on air" thing Newy. (The fancy name for it.)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:04 pm

Aydee wrote:Yup. That's the "hangouts on air" thing Newy. (The fancy name for it.)

Dave

Ah ok cool :thumbsup:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coral1 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:54 pm

i love love this idea :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

i will check that you have committee blessing :angel:
but dont think it will be a problem

a subject i think worth covering is how basic reefing can be !!! while we do all love our gadgets!!
in truth you can keep a reef in a glass box without all the bells and whistles .just my 2c :thumbsup:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Onsan » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:25 pm

Great points Rob and great counter points Dave.
I think most of all, you both hit the nail on the head, in a round about way.
I listen to a few podcasts, geeky science stuff mostly, and I've worked with a lot of great sales people and good presentations of both have something in common.
Hidden structure.
Yes, you need a structure, you need a topic to centre on and return to, but you also need ad-lib and freedom of movement. When both are combined well you don't realise there is a structure, it just flows. Good hosts/MC's and great salespeople do this. And I think this is really central to making it all that it can be.
But! I don't think we should expect tor think that this is going to come first go, or the tenth.
I do see a fantastic opportunity for a talented person or persons to step up and make something truly renowned, because Rob's right, there is a decided lack of this internationally, and none nationally.
Let's fill that void.

I also agree with the general tone of Rob's post, we don't have to rush into this, let's plan it out, focus on content and do our research. But I'd throw in with Dave and create a structure, a central theme helps a lot in creating a sense (and realism) of expertise. And we want to present that, even if it's raw, people will forgive that but there's less forgiving of BS.

Do you want to set up a core group and a forum to run this?
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:07 pm

I'll go however people want.

I'm happy to 'compere' this. I'm good at keeping people on track without being overbearing in conversations.

I would like to have 'themes'. Even if the theme is just nothing more than "Here are some tank of the month winners". Discussion goes from there.

For things like "Committee" I'd want a little more structure, because there is a message to convey.

I don't want to rush, but I don't want to go into information paralysis either.

So I don't want this to be "We'll get to it next year". I'm talking weeks to months timeline before first episode.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:18 pm

I will write up something and message it to you tomorrow as if i was going to run the cast, might get some ideas rolling.
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:48 pm

That would be fantastic if you would Rob. Appreciate it.

I've started the ball rolling. I've got the first guest organized. I'm working on the 2nd guest. I think 2 guests will be enough.

There'll be theme to this. (Let me have a little mystery though. :P )

It's not going to be a 'rock solid' "Here's your script" theme. But more 'Here are 2 reef-keepers with something in common. Let's talk to them about what they're doing. How they got there' and then just ride it from there.

Which is also why I'm going to start saying now:
If you're a business, and you want a shoutout, well. What's in it for the listeners? I'm sure I can do a "And if you mentioned 'Aydee sent you' to (Online fish shop) you can have x% off your next purchase. Valid until. Potato"
I will reserve the right to say "We have enough this session, can you wait until next session" I don't want an entire podcast of ads.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:52 pm

ONLY VALID UNTIL POTATO!!!!! HURRY UP AND GET IN QUICK!!!
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:53 pm

Stocks are limited. Not valid in Ireland during times of famine. (And.. There we go. Too far)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:59 pm

Never too far!
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby coral1 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:06 pm

this is the most fun on the forum in ages !!
oh and me me me pick me !!!
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:09 pm

In time Renae... :P

I've got a theme. BUT, I'll definitely accept questions from you.

More details as they come. Just waiting for my 2nd guest to get back to me.

My goal = before end of month we'll have our first podcast.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:14 pm

Nice work Dave.. jumping right in!
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:16 pm

Don't achieve anything by sitting on your butt. Except a fat arse.

Mind you, made me realize I need to buy a better mic. I'll put that as #1 priority in next week or so.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Polyps » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:45 pm

Sound great guys and with so many great reefers being available to chat with should be a great show which is great. I just wanted to add as a sneaky suggestion to include possible advertisers in these discussions. Would be a great to interview LFS, wholesalers, online shops etc with the potential of getting the once were, back on RTAW side?
Polyps
RTAW Reefer
MASA Volunteer

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:11 pm

That has already been discussed.

I've got a little leeway, but I have to be sensible.

If a business got in contact with me and said "I'm an online fish store. If I get a mention, then I'll give a promo code for x% off" or something like that.

I might even see if I can get a podcast competition going. But, that'll be discussions with the businesses.

I'll keep people posted. I've got a few messages in my inbox I haven't read yet. I'll get through them tonight (I'm about to go out for dinner. But should be replying about 9pm.)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Polyps » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:15 pm

sounds good, just want to clarify my intention was purely to get possible RTAW advertisers active on RTAW again as there doesn't seem to be many left. Increase activity and possible increase RTAW revenue, no dodgy stuff :nut:
Polyps
RTAW Reefer
MASA Volunteer

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:48 pm

Dodgy is not my style. I'm kinda stick up bum on things like that.

Want businesses involved, however, I want to give them value.

This is also still very early days. Let's see how it evolves
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby Aydee » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:09 pm

OK. I've just sent messages to various MAS(x) committee members. It was a shotgun thing. So, if you didn't get it, it's not personal, it was just 'who was online recently and a committee member' decision.

Otherwise, it was a request for various committee to determine if they want to do any announcements on the podcats. Events/groupbuys etc.

Happy to do a minute of plugs in the show for the amazing stuff the various MAS(x) do.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby coral1 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:17 pm

have replied to in box :thumbsup:
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Matt1961 » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 12:01 pm

Its a yes from me for this to happen to dave
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Member 2017-2018
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby Kevin.Erickson » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 9:33 pm

Podcasts take time.

Production quality and good conversations with people who have knowledge beyond anecdote are what keeps people coming back to listen to your show.

For every 1 hour of a good finished podcast I'd say there is 3-5 hours of behind the scenes.

I was the host of MASNA Live for 3.5 years, and now my two of my board members do it. http://masna.org/masna-live/
There was even an episode early on when 2 MASQ and 2 MASS members were guests on the show.

There is also Reef Threads. http://www.reefthreads.com/

Have a listen, as well as listen to other podcasts to get an understanding of what it takes.
Kevin Erickson, PhD.
2015 MASA Dallas sp. Award winner: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=262147
President & CEO of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA), owners of the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), & hosts of MACNA 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia, September 3-5, 2021. MACNA.org

Accepting speaking gigs on my PhD research on Marine Ornamental Biosecurity in Australia: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=250731
https://www.KevinPErickson.com
My DIY Skimmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lE1gOIkzc
"Beneath the surface lies the future." - SeaQuest DSV
Member of MASRQ, MASQ, MASS, MASWA, MASAOG, & MASOV!
Kevin.Erickson
Bicentenary Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASWA Member

Postby colg » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi guys, I have a suggestion for a topic that I think many will find interesting and informative.
Photography.
There are quite a few on here that take brilliant shots of their tanks that might be willing to assist others in the what, how and why's? Forums are generally only as good as the info that they contain and photos are a massive part of that IMO. Providing assistance to the community on how to take good pics might be beneficial, not only to them, but the forum as a whole?
Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Aydee » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:05 pm

Definitely a good suggestion.
I'll take some time in the nearish future to trawl through the photography thread and find some people to call in..

Likely won't be next episode. But.. It's a good idea. We all love good photos of our tank!

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby hanzelz » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 2:27 am

Where do we download the podcast?
hanzelz
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Aydee » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 2:18 pm

When it's been recorded I'll put a link here.

We haven't even done episode 1 yet. :D That happens this Friday.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Next

Return to The Podcast Project