• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Journey's end 2015

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Kieren hits 15

Postby pilonstar » Fri 03 Aug, 2012 9:25 am

Congrats! 15 years :o
I wish my tank can last more than 2 years :crossfingers:
How do you gonna change the pump with that monti growing over?
I have that type of monti and I have to frag it every week.
Crazy growing in 15 years, on the way for another 15 right?
:cheers:
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Kieren hits 15

Postby ssscuz » Fri 03 Aug, 2012 10:42 am

Great work mate, 15 years seems like a lifetime I bet.
That's a he'll of alot of water changes in 15 years.
Tank looks amazing!!
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - New pics 25/12

Postby Basenji » Tue 25 Dec, 2012 8:54 pm

'Tis the season for journal updates.

My 4 foot tank is tracking moderately well at the moment. I'd say maybe a 7 out of 10 for where I'd like it to be.
My water change schedule had slipped a little, with the result that there's a bit of algae action going on. Renewed attention to detail has this trending in the right direction again.

Have also had a few issues with equipment failure the worst of which led to an overnight power outage, exposure of the top of the reefcrest for around 5 hours, and coming as near as anything to losing my flameback angel. The flameback was lying on its side gasping, but it bounced back to life once I moved it to another tank with sufficient oxygen. Is now back to normal.

I've replaced the Ocean Runner skimmer pump (which was the one that triggered the power outage) with a Waveline DC5000. Absolutely love these pumps, which are my nomination for Aquarium product of 2012.

Corals are still growing well. In particular, the green Montipora is going nuts. Unfortunately, I've let it get a little out of hand, and the nearby powerhead, although still working, is pretty much encrusted and impossible to remove. When I do, it will require demolition of the Monti.

Am getting some nice colour from some of the blues and pinks, but the Dallas, green Stylophora are pretty much pale / brown.

Overall, the tank aquascape is starting to look a little tired, and may well need to be re-scaped some time in the new year.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:24 pm

Know what you mean col , new scape freshened my enthusiasm for the tank too
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kell » Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:58 am

well done Colin. i love the look of these established tank and yours is a testament to your experience and knowledge
SPS = Stability Promotes Success
My tank Journal
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=235438
kell
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:37 pm

Daz the reefo wrote:Know what you mean col , new scape freshened my enthusiasm for the tank too

If I'm totally honest, the whole tank probably needs replacement. It's the same tank I've been running for a looooong time, and the cabinet, whilst structurally sound, is pretty much cactus. I have in-principle approval from the Minister of Finance to do it, but having just spent far more than I should have on my 3x2 foot tank, I'm not sure I can really justify how much it would cost me to do it the way I would like to.

kell wrote:well done Colin. i love the look of these established tank and yours is a testament to your experience and knowledge

Thanks Kell. Appreciate your comments.
It's an ongoing challenge to keep things looking their best once things get well grown in. No such thing as a simple rearrangement, as everything is so tightly locked in place in relation to the neighbouring colonies.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - New pics 16/6

Postby Basenji » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:03 pm

Long time between updates.
Will try to bring up to date quickly.

Feb 2013 - Major drama with alkalinity overdose. Alk test slightly high. Turned off dosing for a couple of days until I had time to sort it out.
Alkalinity reservoir back-syphoned through faulty dosing pump head and dumped 3 litres of alk over night. End result: Alk= 18 dkh, Ca= 85 ppm (No, that is not a mis-type !!! :scared: )
--> Snowstorm reducing visibility to zero & CaCO3 precipitate over every surface and sticking to glass like $hit on a blanket.

Issue resolved through large water changes, a short period of manual dosing, and replacement of faulty dosing pump head.
Lost 1 small Acro frag and a small Faviid, but all up, got out of things pretty lightly.

Mar 2013 - Flameback angel disappeared. Never returned :( I suspect that he was knocked around by the pump outage / low oxygen issue in December, and pushed over the edge by the alk overdose in Feb. Did I say I got out of things lightly with the alk overdose? Extreme disappointment :bawling:

Mar 2013 - Kole tang added (After quarantine and 6 week hyposalinity treatment for Cryptocaryon infection)
A couple of days of dramas betwen the Kole and Yellow Tang until they sorted out their differences. Now the best of mates

May 2013 - Potter's Angel added. Purchased from "chris neill 1987". Put through quarantine and prophylactic hyposalinity. Once again, a few days of drama between potters, kole and yellow tang, but all settled down quickly. Extremely happy with the addition of the Potters. I've wanted one of these guys for a long time.

My main ongoing issue is the rampant growth of the green Monti in the left hand end. The encrusted powerhead ceased functioning long ago, but can't be removed without smashing the Monti. It is also encroaching over the top of other corals, and is about to start hitting the front glass. Major prune is going to have to happen at some stage, but I'm really reluctant to smash up that whole end of the tank.

Overall, the tank is tracking pretty well. I guess all the colour nazis will dis it because it's not glowing zeo-pastels like everyone seems to love so much these days, but all corals are growing well and I really like the look of a well grown in tank.

Just as a bit of a remenisce, here's my chalice that I fragged way back in my journal:
Jan 2010:

June 2010

June 2013
Note that the elongated green polyp in the 2010 photo is the same as the largest green polyp about 1/3 of the way down the colony as seen in the latest photo
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby n0rk » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:17 pm

Sucks about the issues Colin, but the tank seems to be faring especially well. I particularly love that last Acro – it's an understated beauty.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - New pics 16/6/

Postby jayellul » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:27 am

Love the way the Monti has grown over the tank :)
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby timmeh » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 8:34 am

Love this tank and was awsome to see it in person on the weekend,such a top job and to have fish for that long is a true credit,
Good work
timmeh
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:32 am

timmeh wrote:Love this tank and was awsome to see it in person on the weekend,such a top job and to have fish for that long is a true credit,
Good work

:with you:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 11:12 pm

Made a start at a major coral prune yesterday.

Was at the point where I had 5 different colonies impinging on and preventing me from cleaning the front glass.
Didn't even bother taking a "before" photo because I could hardly see into the tank.

Here's the most recent photo I had from the beginning of October 2013.

I spent the best part of the a day on it, involving mallet, chisels and screwdrivers, and I reckon I'm only 1/3 of the way through it so far.

Tank looks a bit of a shambles afterwards, but have pretty much cleared out the central gutter and some of the overgrown acros in the middle left of the tank, and now have some real estate to fill out with new colonies.

Here's the work in progress shot

I haven't tackled the Montipora in the back corner yet. I reckon that is a full day's work in itself.

Removed the big gnarly Dallas Acropora from the middle.
It grew from this
to this
in the space of 4 years, and at the end was touching the glass at the front and back of the 18" wide tank. Full growth picture gallery viewable here

Has been replaced with a new frag which I can enjoy watching grow again from scratch.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - New pics 1/12/

Postby jayellul » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 11:31 pm

Are you sure you didn't get a chainsaw in there?

Looks great! Didn't even realise you had that valley In there hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 9:36 am

Nice one Colin! I feel that you will have just a few dallas frags now lol

Will be good to see it grow back out :)
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:43 pm

Im sorry, but that Monti is outrageous! :bow: Beautiful Colin! Truly appreciated/admired from my perspective!
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby jayellul » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:49 pm

What happened to all thy Dallas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - New pics 23/4/

Postby Basenji » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:35 pm

Quick update, if anyone is still watching.

Tank is working pretty smoothly, and thriving with neglect. Dosing is automated, and I keep the topup reservoir full and the fish fed. But the glass doesn't get cleaned nearly often enough.

I did a water change yesterday, but the last water change that I had on the log sheet before that was in December. I could have sworn I did one in February, but can't be certain. Obviously didn't write it down if I did.

Having finally got around to cleaning the glass, I was pleasantly surprised at how healthy everything was looking. Apart from a bit of green cyano in the normal deadspots, I was amazed at how little cleaning was required.

No changes to fish line-up. Still just the Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, Potters Angel and the pair of Ocellaris clowns.
The clowns are still spawning on a pretty regular 2 week cycle.

On with the pics .....

Starting to turn into Pocillopora city. I remove colonies when they self set where I don't want them, but kind of like these ones growing on the back glass ... for now.

Likewise, the Pocillopora colonies in the top right of this photo are growing on, and totally obscuring the sump return pipe, which is kind of cool

Last edited by Basenji on Fri 25 Apr, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:02 pm

Looking stunning as always Colin! Of course we are reading!
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jayellul » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:05 pm

Aaaaaamazing!

was looking forward to an update on this old girl :) I see that Monti still has a strong foot hold lol

Let me know when youre disposing of pocci next ;)
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:27 pm

:withyou: guys.

We are definitely still keeping our eye on it looking fantastic as always Colin, seems to have colored up nicely since the last update to...
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

Still one of the best IMO :thumbsup:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 1:38 am

Looks great.

I always enjoy seeing how your green monti is travelling. Seems to be going strong and forming some amazing shapes.

What ever you are doing, keep it up. Even if it is nothing!
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:34 am

Awesome! You need to set up a set point to take a photograph, of get some timelapse happening! :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Rod the Reefer » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 2:26 pm

Nice to see an established, mature tank in such good condition.

How does the Potters go with your corals?

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Zeason99 » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 3:38 pm

Love the way the SPS grow into each other. Very well established tank indeed!

Nice work!
Zeason99
Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. My low budget tanks don't really fit in with the trend of big budget hardware and toxic eye candy / designer clownfish bling that seems to catch everyone's attention these days.

Rod the reefer wrote:How does the Potters go with your corals?

No problems at all as far as I'm aware. You do see him pick at corals from time to time, and I don't see much polyp extention on the Acropora, but I swear it is just picking at coral slime, or at organic bits and pieces that are caught in the corals. Certainly not convinced that it is eating the coral polyps, and I don't see it as any barrier to coral growth.

Zeason99 wrote:Love the way the SPS grow into each other. Very well established tank indeed!

Nice work!

There's at least 3 colonies in there that came frags I got from you a few years back Zeason. :clap:

Thommo1 wrote:I always enjoy seeing how your green monti is travelling. Seems to be going strong and forming some amazing shapes.

That end of the tank really needs some work. It is seriously shading the front left-hand corner. Just having trouble bringing myself to to spoiling the growth form of the Monti. But left to its own devices the Monti will eventually dominate the entire tank.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Postby Basenji » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 5:32 pm

Well all good things come to an end, and this tank has been pulled down.
In the interest of completeness, I figured I need to put in one last journal update for the old girl.
The tank journal started in 2004, but the tank build itself started in 1996 and went through 3 house moves.

First, I need to put up a few pics from the last year since my last update.

November 2014

January 2015

In January 2015, the green Montipora beast finally got to a point where something had to be done.
It started out as this tiny frag I got from Caevan in 2010.

It ended up totally encasing a power head and overarching the lefthand side of the reef. It totally covered the overflow weir and left hand glass, and was climbing up the front of the tank as well. I'd put off cutting it back for a long time, because I thought it was going to be a big job to remove it. I wasn't wrong :hammer:

And this is what it looked like after I finished.

Right hand end still needed a good thinning out, but lots of new real estate at the left hand end.
I'd started filling this out nicely with new frags, but sadly don't have any pictures to show how it looked.

.... and then there was April 2015 ...
Not much I can say really.
- big storm in the week leading up to ANZAC Day.
- power out for 3 days.
- emergency backup plan failed when I couldn't get my generator started. Took me 6 hours until I could get another generator going.
- lost potters angel and kole tang immediately. Yellow tang lying on sand, but revived again once I got tank reoxygenated.
- all corals bleaching or receding within days. Saved a few pieces by transferring to other tanks, but not much.
- Lost yellow tang (just shy of 18 years old :( ) and female clown (7 years old) over course of next 3 weeks.
- Pulled the pin and emptied the tank 24/5/15.
- Last remaining fish (male ocellaris clown) was moved to the sump on my 3x2 tank, and has stubbornly hung on. Will need to find a new home for him (her) at some point.

Factors contributing to failure:
- My failure to test my generator on a regular basis. It hadn't been started for a number of years. I should have known better.
- Lax maintenance in the preceding months. There were 2 powerheads not working that hadn't been serviced. Knowing how overgrown the right hand end of the tank was, water movement was restricted, and in hindsight I suspect that the whole tank had been running on the low end of dissolved oxygen for a while.
- Syphon break hole on sump return had been overgrown and blocked by Pocillopora growth, resulting in the tank draining well down below the reef structure when the power went off, and remaining that way until I got powered up again.
- Crappy generator I ended up using was not an inverter generator, and it killed the DC pump driving my skimmer. Was running skimmerless after the disaster which was a mistake.
- I was travelling with work for a week only a few days after the disaster, and wasn't around to do the work required to try and salvage things.

On the positive side, my 3x2 foot anemone tank and Tom's 2x1.5 foot tank came through fine, and are still going well.

In all, a pretty crappy way to end a long journey.
If I'm honest, my enthusiasm has been waning of late. Looking back, I wish I'd been proactive and pulled this tank down and rehomed the livestock before having my hand forced.
I'm really quite bitter about losing Keiren "superfish" the yellow tang. I really would have like to see how long those guys really can live.

I figure a picture of him is as good a way of ending this journal as any. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Basenji on Sat 25 Jul, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
My email
Basenji

Re: Basenji's 4 foot display [TOTM 06/2010] - Journey's end

Postby n0rk » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 5:53 pm

What a tragic end to what was surely one of the longest running tanks in the country. The size of the colonies you managed to cram into that space is phenomenal, you should definitely feel a sense of accomplishment few rightly have.

Are you planning anything else as a replacement, or just going to stick with the 3' and Tom's tank for now?
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Postby chromus » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 7:35 pm

:withyou:

:(
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Rod the Reefer » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 8:20 pm

Wow, what an disastrous end to a fabulous journey!

Glad you're not getting out entirely.

Good luck with the other tanks.

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)